Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discussion: What is a Farm?

I do know what farms are, but there are a lot of different kinds. But this discussion is What does a farm mean to you? And what type of farming do you hope for in a farming pack?

Urban Farming? A few space-saving modernist chicken coops for harvesting eggs.
Corporate Agriculture? Huge fields of crops, hundreds of farm workers. Would this take up an entire lot type?
Livestock? Raising animals to be turned into food.
Dairy Farm? A vegetarian (but not vegan) option
Dude Ranch? Horses, fence-mending, cowsims, a vacation destination
Hobby Farm? Lots of machinery repair, lots of invested simoleons for very little payoff

What other types of farms can you think of? What type do you think TS4 would include in their farming pack?

[I hope this works as an Ideas post, as I assume we will be generating some!]

Comments

• SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Reindeer farm?
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I guess farming to me is a corn field, pumpkin field, plant other fruits and vegetables. Also have cows and bulls, horses, goats and sheep. Chickens and Roosters. duck and geeese. Pigs and Hogs.
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Yeah, typically when I think of a farm I think of a house surrounded by acres of wheat, corn, etc., and a barn with horses, cows, pigs, chickens, and maybe some dogs and-or cats.

@Briana2425: What's the difference between a pig and a hog?
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Yeah, typically when I think of a farm I think of a house surrounded by acres of wheat, corn, etc., and a barn with horses, cows, pigs, chickens, and maybe some dogs and-or cats.

I think a hog is bigger than a pig.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited June 2019
    I wanna have a variety of farms, and a rural world where there are different kinds of farms
    • Livestock farm
    • Crop farm
    • Nectar (Wine) making farm (Vineyard)
    • Horse ranch

Also there should be a mixture of these kinds of farms, like a farm that specializes in growing crops and nectar making, but also has some chickens and cows.
    You can mix and match, even a giant farm with all these features: farm animals, crops, nectar making and horses!
    a256aFi.gif
  • DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
    Actually I didn't think about urban farming!

I'll be amazed if farming is done in a more modern method, like the rack where you can plant crops on each levels, or even a rooftop plantation. It gives a whole new meaning of eco-living.
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    I wanna have a variety of farms, and a rural world where there are different kinds of farms
    • Livestock farm
    • Crop farm
    • Nectar (Wine) making farm (Vineyard)
    • Horse ranch

Also there should be a mixture of these kinds of farms, like a farm that specializes in growing crops and nectar making, but also has some chickens and cows.
    You can mix and match, even a giant farm with all these features: farm animals, crops, nectar making and horses!

This :)

The Sims Game
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think for me ''Farm'' and ''Stable'' are 2 different places so I don't really list horses into farming pack

Farm for me includes:

- Large fields of harvestables
    but also small ones for more hobby farmers
    maybe some machine to help with that or ability to hire farmhands

- Farm animals like cows , sheep , chickens... maybe even llamas

main reason to have animals should be to get usable things like
    eggs, milk, wool, meat.. (ok maybe meat aint ts4 style)
    since at farm animals are not just there to be petted they are there to make living
    but also it would be nice to be able to make friends with them and name them because fav cow is fav cow

there should be aspect of cleaning after your livestock. mending fences and making sure they don't get sick or injured
    and obviously you'd have to feed them :joy:

also I feel following subjects tie in with farming and would be great addition

- Canning /Preserving food
    - Making nectar
    - Making butter
    - or hey they could also make cheese or something
    - Maybe knitting or something to use the wool you get

new venue type or festival to bring farmers market where sims could sell things they made or farmed and buy livestock

what comes to urban style I am not that big fan
    but also it would be nice to have few planters and such that allow more modern style of doing it for city sims
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    edited June 2019
    Why can‘t a farm and a stable be in the same world? A Farming expansion/ country living should definitely include horses, I can‘t see them in another pack.
    a256aFi.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hydroponics is the latest fashionable type of farming which you can do on a very small plot. I saw one on TV today which uses fish tanks as a basis for irrigating plants, veg. and fruit. Same water re-circulating all the time. The sort of thing that Maxis could use if we get a world in space pack!
  • domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I think for me ''Farm'' and ''Stable'' are 2 different places so I don't really list horses into farming pack

Farm for me includes:

since at farm animals are not just there to be petted they are there to make living
    but also it would be nice to be able to make friends with them and name them because fav cow is fav cow

there should be aspect of cleaning after your livestock. mending fences and making sure they don't get sick or injured

- Making nectar
    - Making butter

new venue type or festival to bring farmers market where sims could sell things they made or farmed and buy livestock

but also it would be nice to have few planters and such that allow more modern style of doing it for city sims

This is basically my idea of a farm, too. Horses (in my mind) belong on a ranch, which is a completely different thing.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Little House on the Prairie with less life and more plants.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2019
    For my characters, the Farm is a family Business. The Bourbons, are a wealthy (Irish) family, Their layout would take up an Entire World.

One: 64x64 Lot, Their Family Estate that overlooks the entire farm on a hillside.
    Three: 50x50 Lots, that house the Live Stock: Barns and Stables. They do raise livestock, Cows, Pigs, and Chickens.
    Six: 40x30 Lots, 1 = The Wheat Field (Wheat Maze), 2 = Vineyards, 3 = Orchards, 4 = Flower Fields, 5 = Herbs 6 = Vegetables.

In this pack i wouldn't want anything pre grown. I know I can delete lots, but I want to be the one to sow the first seed.
    If it came down to what I was looking for In this packs game play wise:

- Raising Bulls/Cows, Hogs/Pigs, Roosters/Chickens because I think they're cute.

- Using resources from My Vineyard and Orchard to supply my Winery and Brewery. Using large Quantities of Grapes to create a bottle of wine.

- Being able to craft custom bottles of wine and beer, storing them in a cellar in Barrel/kegs, under my sims mansion let them age, tasting them, naming the crafts. then shipping them out to stores, and restaurants to then be sold.

I'd like the mechanical/industrial side of Crafting Wine and beer, as well as the manual.

- The Bourbons would host Harvest Festivals, with neat contests, like Bake-offs, Pie-Eating Contests, The Largest Pumpkin, Music, and Wandering the Wheat/Corn Maze
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    I'm just imagining the current iteration of the sims, with even a 20x20 field full of harvestable, say, carrots. It would just be endless gardening. By the time the sim maintains the last plant, the first one will certainly have already started to need some sort of attention...

So I'm thinking this farming pack would need its own irrigation system (which, didn't we get something similar in Seasons? At least a sprinkler? I don't really garden in the sims--not sure, but even if a huge sprinkler system were part of seasons, they would need a new one for TS4 Untitled Farming Pack) and we may also need a roomba-esque harvester machine... (because I couldn't see EA providing a driveable combine to harvest crops). But even planting--in real life, my dad would plant a few fields of corn or soybeans, and it would take him hours. I couldn't imagine traveling to an empty field lot and watching a sim circle the lot in a tractor for over 12 hours.

I want TS4 to feel real and offer well-rounded simulation, but I also worry about multiple packs feeling repetitive. So for me, farming would definitely have to focus more one farm animals rather than plants... Unless it's about making products OUT of plants (like nectar--and pickling/jamming, good suggestion).
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    I'm just imagining the current iteration of the sims, with even a 20x20 field full of harvestable, say, carrots. It would just be endless gardening. By the time the sim maintains the last plant, the first one will certainly have already started to need some sort of attention...

So I'm thinking this farming pack would need its own irrigation system (which, didn't we get something similar in Seasons? At least a sprinkler?

Let‘s ask ourselves: how do farmers do it in real life? Maybe we could hire harvest helper NPCs that harvest the plants for us for a fee or we could use a tractor.

But I do agree, there should be a bigger focus on farm animals and nectar making/ canning. Maybe just include some new types of harvestables, especially corn stalks and turnips!
    a256aFi.gif
    edited June 2019
    domina89 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

Farm for me includes:

- Making nectar
    - Making butter

This is basically my idea of a farm, too. Horses (in my mind) belong on a ranch, which is a completely different thing.

yeah I feel like horses could be in their own gp

or they could tie them in some old times ep too which would be really cool
    horse carriages and fancy horserides and such :smiley:
    (obviously not forgetting that they are pets too though)
    I don‘t get why horses can‘t be in a Farming EP? They‘re literally farm animals and horses would fit the country living theme quite well, don‘t you agree?

And we could get dedicated riding paths with a country world.
    a256aFi.gif
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Typically, a farm is a family run business.

I grew up in a farming community, where most were mixed farms. That is, that grain crops were grown, and livestock grazed on the same farm. Once the crops are harvested, the livestock get to graze on the stubble. Cattle for meat, sheep mostly for wool, but some farms also have specific breeds for meat.
    Nothing gets irrigated.

But there are other regions, with other types of farms. Inland there are the cattle stations, where cattle is grazed on whatever grows out in the almost desert.

The river-land region where most of our fruit and nuts come from, along with a lot of the wineries. Then there's the market gardens, where most of the veggies come from.

There's also greenhouses in the desert. This wacky concept they're planning on building one in my city too. It's a pretty good way to get fresh produce to places that are no good for conventional market gardens.

Typically, a farm is where the primary production of produce occurs.

As to the topic of horses, they are pretty common on the larger livestock farms. On many smaller farms, they've been replaced by quad bikes.

Canning is not farming. Canning is factory work, produce is processed, taking it beyond primary production.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    @Movotti I like your input.

If the Sims were to make a farming pack, what would you expect to be included? What type of world (climate/geography/culturally) would you want?
    edited July 2019
    I don‘t get why horses can‘t be in a Farming EP? They‘re literally farm animals and horses would fit the country living theme quite well, don‘t you agree?

And we could get dedicated riding paths with a country world.

I mean they could put them in ofc
    id have nothing against it really

its more like pack shouldn't center around horses but the actual farming if its farming pack

like surely they could add horses and you could use them to do field work and u could ride them if they were in farming ep

but i am not sure if horses should have their own pack so they could really focus on horses properly like there is loads of equestrian sports they could add in game for example and horse related competitions and all but I feel like we would not get much of those in farming pack because there is so much to farming itself

so that is why i rather feel there should be separate pack so these 2 concepts can exist without being half baked
    edited July 2019
    Movotti wrote: »
    Canning is not farming. Canning is factory work, produce is processed, taking it beyond primary production.

Traditional canning, the one you can make at home at a stove. In Sims 3 Store as well as Sims 1 there was a cooking station where you could can your fruits and veggies you‘ve grown on your farm! Could be a great hobby for elders as well! It‘s a popular request.
    WSbJQHW.png

If the Sims were to make a farming pack, what would you expect to be included? What type of world (climate/geography/culturally) would you want?

We already have a rural European world, the Countryside in Windenburg, so no that isn‘t needed anymore.
    With StrangerVille we got a rural desert neighborhood.
    We haven‘t got a rural country world in general, I‘d like a Mid-Western lush country world with those classic red barns, silos and tractors, kind of like Appaloosa Plains, but more green. I‘d like to have a world where there are 4 seasons, including winter, since you‘d have to adapt your farm to all 4 seasons!

four-seasons-on-the-farm-squared-robin-moline.jpg
    FM-DR-0033.jpg
    ?format=750w
    a256aFi.gif
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »

I think a hog is bigger than a pig.

Pig, hog and boar essentially describe the same animal, but there are some distinctions. A boar is an uncastrated male domestic pig, but it also means a wild pig of any gender. A hog often means a domestic pig that weighs more than 120 lbs. (54 kilograms). Pigs are also called swine.Oct 5, 2018
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited July 2019
    Typically, a farm is a family run business.

I grew up in a farming community, where most were mixed farms. That is, that grain crops were grown, and livestock grazed on the same farm. Once the crops are harvested, the livestock get to graze on the stubble. Cattle for meat, sheep mostly for wool, but some farms also have specific breeds for meat.
    Nothing gets irrigated.

But there are other regions, with other types of farms. Inland there are the cattle stations, where cattle is grazed on whatever grows out in the almost desert.

The river-land region where most of our fruit and nuts come from, along with a lot of the wineries. Then there's the market gardens, where most of the veggies come from.

There's also greenhouses in the desert. This wacky concept they're planning on building one in my city too. It's a pretty good way to get fresh produce to places that are no good for conventional market gardens.

Typically, a farm is where the primary production of produce occurs.

As to the topic of horses, they are pretty common on the larger livestock farms. On many smaller farms, they've been replaced by quad bikes.

idk i mostly put canning as its a way of preserving food i wouldnt say what i want is exactly canning (idk what is the english term anyways) but just some way to preserve food so you could farm at summer and still have food for winter

maybe more like bags of potato and self made jars of food kind of situation? would be what i really want
    I hope children can also do some activities at the farm like feeding the farm animals or helping with the crops!
    a256aFi.gif

Traditional canning, the one you can make at home at a stove. In Sims 3 Store as well as Sims 1 there was a cooking station where you could can your fruits and veggies you‘ve grown on your farm! Could be a great hobby for elders as well! It‘s a popular request.
    WSbJQHW.png

We already have a rural European world, the Countryside in Windenburg, so no that isn‘t needed anymore.
    With StrangerVille we got a rural desert neighborhood.
    We haven‘t got a rural country world in general, I‘d like a Mid-Western lush country world with those classic red barns, silos and tractors, kind of like Appaloosa Plains, but more green. I‘d like to have a world where there are 4 seasons, including winter, since you‘d have to adapt your farm to all 4 seasons!

four-seasons-on-the-farm-squared-robin-moline.jpg
    FM-DR-0033.jpg
    ?format=750w

I think the biggest thing I care about with world would be that it has no FX houses
    because at countryside its rather usual to not have another house in sight really and that is just my idea of countryside

ofc there should be some lots though but just leaving out the fake houses would be fantastic

and yeah it should have 4 seasons as that affects farming big time