Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The TS4 Tropical Pack - Is it enough to tempt you away from TS3?

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @Techbilt 12 hours is pretty impressive :) As for TS4 there are many the game does not appeal to no matter how hard they try to like it. I am sure there were some TS2 players who felt that way about TS3 and maybe still do. Enjoy your simming and making some new happy memories with your TS3 sims. Just remember these babies, with high autonomy have the capacity to surprise you with something unexpected :D
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2019
    Techbilt wrote: »
    No the pack if anything has kicked me back to TS3. Everything I learn about the pack: No new whims were added, Mermaids aren't nearly as fleshed out as vampires, the gameplay seems shallow, but by golly the world sure is pretty!

I'm not surprised it's shallow, if what I read earlier is true - that judging by the box art, it was actually created as a game pack, but was sold as a more expensive expansion.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @Bettyboop55 I actually got TS4 when it was for free, I was too curious to pass the offer! :blush: But, honestly, I didn't even make it through the tutorial. I think the only thing that could make me really want to play TS4 is if they take away the loading screens for an open world - which is impossible - and if they do something about the textures (or the lack of them). I've seen fabulous cc skins and clothes for the sims, but the trees, the flowers etc are just too cartoony for me. So even though I can understand players are hopeful about new add-ons, it still seems like clutching for straws to me, and is a source of revenue for EA. I mean, a base game is meant to hook you and the EPs are there to enhance the first experience, to make it even better! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
    @jillbg I agree. My apologies I did not realise you had tried TS4. As someone who loves gardening the trees and shrubs are a particular disappointment and I never liked the TS2 loading screens so getting them back was not a positive point. With TS4 it took an EP and a couple of game packs before I realised I would never have a game which lived up to my expectations. However there is an irrational part of my brain which still hopes that someday there will be a pack which finally allows me to see what the fuss is about. As you say it is clutching at straws. IL is clearly not the pack to do it anyway and after nearly five years it is unlikely that magical pack will ever be produced.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited June 2019
    Well I have given up the ghost for now :)

I spent most of yesterday fixing things that did not work properly and trying to find ways to make some things work that did not appear to have a solution so got very little gameplay at all and am stopping any further play now until those things are fixed..

Other players have mentioned skin/tanning sunburn problems or sims only wading in the water I never even got chance to get that far to test that apart from my sims being able to swim fine around their own beachfront lots (I did not test the public beach community lots)

I had NPC stood around for hours and had to search for where they might belong thinking it could be a food stall issue but never actually found out what the cause of the problem is however other players have now mentioned they have experienced the same problem.

Then I started to get problems with clothes as my sims began randomly changing into outfits I had not chosen for them in CAS and I kept having to change them back to my preferred outfits. I don't have any CC that could cause this issue either.

The one thing I have not worked out yet is it appears most beach residential lots do not have enough deep ocean water depth to add either the step ladders to add the boats to the lot or enough depth to just place them on the water for future sim use and when i realised this was an issue I used moo to place these things on the water and clicked on these items for my sims to use them and in some circumstances they could use them but they could obviously not put them back on the water when they had finished with them and I could not click these items in their inventories to get them to use them again (only option place on water????) so how the heck we resolve that I just don't know..

Of course I knew boating would be around in circles on water lots there is nothing else that can be done about that so it got boring quickly as expected as in 3 IP I can spend sims days travelling around the world on a variety of boats even fishing/diving off them so of course sims 3 is going to win in this regard. Heck at this point actually getting sims to be able to use their boats in water easily would be something of a win-) I wondered afterwards if this was deliberate re the deep ocean water on lots to stop multiple sim households from having a boat each and cluttering up the water but if this is the case I think it's misguided as like many other players I like family activities and send all my family out in 3 on an aqua ski each. I never checked to see if more than one sim could use the same ski or boat as if so that would be a little help.

One rant I had on another thread was because I missed the fact that the bar night had an alien night and now my island is swamped with aliens in their true form and I could not remove them because I could not find them in household management and even after I had changed the lot from a bar to a lounge designation to stop bar nights from occurring and probably having bears and knights all over the place the aliens were the only ones serving drinks at the lounge and at this point I really did want to scream. I now have to use a mod to get rid of them there seems to be no other way.

So the plus side is not much for me at this point I want to state that I understand every pack that comes out in any series has it's issues including long standing ones that never appear to get fixed over the long haul either so I can say again the views and scenery are incredible but of course that's mainly eye candy as opposed to being able to send your sim to any area on the map as we can in 3 plus it might not be quite the same but I have used some pretty good sky/stars/moon mods that can make S3 IP look even more pretty than it already is so we have lots of choices for those of us who don't mind using mods.

I do like the mermaids I know other players don't but I like the way they swim around and have a lot more options while they are in the water I especially like the one where they are able to swim on their backs to sleep and I laughed when a dolphin came along with the header "this dolphin is deciding whether or not he likes your sim" or words to that effect which I thought was cute and I defo like the idea of dolphins and turtles I would love those in IP. I never got the chance to go to the waterfall or a public beach or see if the conservationists were out because I spent too much time trying to fix things and honestly I don't think I want to be that frustrated again for a few days so might not try again until I read other players saying things are fixed more.

Lastly Island paradise can be one of the most buggy packs in the 3 series ever and I know a lot of players had a lot of problems in that world even I had them and my rig is quite a high standard and it takes time to fix the world to help make it run more smoothly but to my mind at least I have the option to do that and then my IP world works fine for me whereas with 4 even if/when it is fixed it has very limited gameplay in my opinion so while I might switch it on in future for a quick look at mermaids and dolphins or a visit to a public beach my real tropical Island gameplay will remain the S3 version as I get so much more out of it :)

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’m in the same boat (pardon the pun) as you @SPARKY1922. I’m relieved you are having those issues as I’m having the same issues with simulation lag, aliens and the beaches. Not sure If I have the clothing issue. Perhaps
    I’ve not noticed.

But a brand new save file has become unplayable because of lag
    Never thought I would say Isla paradiso runs better!

I’m in the same boat (pardon the pun) as you @SPARKY1922. I’m relieved you are having those issues as I’m having the same issues with simulation lag, aliens and the beaches. Not sure If I have the clothing issue. Perhaps
    I’ve not noticed.

hahah me neither lol and while I am used to sorting out issues because let's face it 3 has them I just don't remember having to sort out as many issues all in one go at the release of a new pack especially when you say you a new save file has become unplayable :o plus that's us with our very decent computers so what is it going to be like for players with more low end?
    Hello @SPARKY1922 thank you for the detailed feedback. I am sorry you and @MidnightAura are having such problems so early in the game. Do you think it is the jinx of the tropical pack given how buggy IP is. Seriously though I hope EA gets it's act together and starts fixing things quickly.

I wondered if routing on water would cause a problem in IL. It is afterall a closed world and the first time they have seriously tried to provide the sims with transport. I would imagine limiting the number of boats and the routes they can take would be ways in which they tackled providing transport but like you say it also restricts things like group outings. On the subject of groups your comment about Bears and Knights made me laugh. It also made me sad because it shows the interaction between packs has not be as thorough as it might have been.

I really do hope things improve and that you are not stopped from playing properly for too long. It makes me think that no company can afford to skimp on testing prior to release.

Sim enim est vita
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @Bettyboop55 I tried the game when they did the free trial. I knew in the few hours I managed to play it, the game was not going to engage me. Nothing they have put out since has made me rethink my decision to not purchase the base game or DLC for it and that was your question that I answered. I felt your response to me was that because I didn't have the game or play the game I didn't have the same concerns others did and that really is not true and was not part of your question. I don't need to play a game to know I will not enjoy it, but, I did try this one at least during that trial.

I certainly had high hopes for Sims 4 before it came out. I didn't start Sims3 until 2012 I believe that was 3 years into development. I started with just the base game as we bought supernatural with it, but the disk didn't work. I played with just the base game and couldn't stop playing the game. My hubby was smart enough to just order pizza the first evening. lol The DLC just added to the enjoyment already experienced with the base game. There was no enjoyment with Sims4 trial at all. My hopes were that it was going to be awesome to start a game from the beginning and not miss out on content that would later be pulled from the market like things were from Sims 3. Well, those that play Sims4 tell me it is not a typical sims game and you have to think differently about it. I don't want something that different thanks very much that doesn't engage me during my playing time and I'm spending hard earned money on. I want so much more that has been said many times in many other threads so not going there. So, my answer still stands, the current DLC does not make me want to rush out and purchase and start playing Sims 4. No WOW factor whatsoever.
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    I’ve not noticed.

hahah me neither lol and while I am used to sorting out issues because let's face it 3 has them I just don't remember having to sort out as many issues all in one go at the release of a new pack especially when you say you a new save file has become unplayable :o plus that's us with our very decent computers so what is it going to be like for players with more low end?

I can’t imagine what it’s like for someone on a lower end machine. Ironically the lag is worse on my Husband’s pc with the latest Nvidia graphics card. I have a GTX 1080 and while it’s bad, it’s worse on his.
    It’s just really disappointing. I think bugs and simulation lag will always stop me from embracing sims 4 fully. Well it’s one of the reasons. I can live with sims 3 issues because the game is worth it. I played Isla Paradiso for five hours last night and it was so much fun. I had to stop and go to bed. I love that I still have really long sessions with it where I don’t want to stop playing.

My niece plays sims 4 on console and I’m going to try and persuade her not to buy IL on day one as I think that will be a mess too and the console doesn’t get patched enough.
    bekkasan wrote: »
    @Bettyboop55 I tried the game when they did the free trial. I knew in the few hours I managed to play it, the game was not going to engage me. Nothing they have put out since has made me rethink my decision to not purchase the base game or DLC for it and that was your question that I answered. I felt your response to me was that because I didn't have the game or play the game I didn't have the same concerns others did and that really is not true and was not part of your question. I don't need to play a game to know I will not enjoy it, but, I did try this one at least during that trial.

I certainly had high hopes for Sims 4 before it came out. I didn't start Sims3 until 2012 I believe that was 3 years into development. I started with just the base game as we bought supernatural with it, but the disk didn't work. I played with just the base game and couldn't stop playing the game. My hubby was smart enough to just order pizza the first evening. lol The DLC just added to the enjoyment already experienced with the base game. There was no enjoyment with Sims4 trial at all. My hopes were that it was going to be awesome to start a game from the beginning and not miss out on content that would later be pulled from the market like things were from Sims 3. Well, those that play Sims4 tell me it is not a typical sims game and you have to think differently about it. I don't want something that different thanks very much that doesn't engage me during my playing time and I'm spending hard earned money on. I want so much more that has been said many times in many other threads so not going there. So, my answer still stands, the current DLC does not make me want to rush out and purchase and start playing Sims 4. No WOW factor whatsoever.

Oh @bekkasan no. I am sorry but I rather assumed you had not tried it and as you say not everyone needs to try it to have the same concerns as those that have. I did try it a long time ago and it took an EP and a couple of game packs to make me realise that nothing would ever make it worth further investment. So far, including IL, this remains the case. All in all a waste of money which could have been spent buying up TS3 store content. One of my biggest regrets is I did not buy the limited edition Diesel fashion packs :/

As someone else observed the base game should hook a new player and the packs enhance the experience. Sadly I suspect many of them don't get offered pizza for supper on the first night though :) Like a lot of long term TS3 players you know precisely what you want from a game but there are those for whom the matter is not so clear cut especially when the differences between the new game and it's predecessor are so vast. I still think they should try the game but sensibly wait until there is a free opportunity to do so.

So again my apologies. I don't always express myself clearly and I genuinely did not know you had tried the game. Everyone's answer is valid and welcome and the feedback from those trying the pack is much appreciated.

Sim enim est vita
    I’ve not noticed.

I can’t imagine what it’s like for someone on a lower end machine. Ironically the lag is worse on my Husband’s pc with the latest Nvidia graphics card. I have a GTX 1080 and while it’s bad, it’s worse on his.
    It’s just really disappointing. I think bugs and simulation lag will always stop me from embracing sims 4 fully. Well it’s one of the reasons. I can live with sims 3 issues because the game is worth it. I played Isla Paradiso for five hours last night and it was so much fun. I had to stop and go to bed. I love that I still have really long sessions with it where I don’t want to stop playing.

My niece plays sims 4 on console and I’m going to try and persuade her not to buy IL on day one as I think that will be a mess too and the console doesn’t get patched enough.

Just a thought. I wonder if it is worth asking in the TS4 tech section about what graphics cards the new EP fully recognises. They used to list out the graphics requirements on the old TS3 disk documentation. I wonder if someone has not checked or updated the graphics list for IL.

Sim enim est vita
    edited June 2019
    @Bettyboop55

I have an unrecognised 1070 Nvidia graphics card however in series 3 we can get the card recognized but I am not too sure about 4 but I would imagine there has to be some way to do it. Also before this latest Island pack I read somewhere that support for the 32 bit version of the 4 game was being finished and any players continuing on with the 32bit version of the game would have to use the legacy version which also means no more support for that version of the game (including bug fixes) or being able to access the gallery or more importantly buy any further content for the game on it's release then suddenly they changed their mind just before the Tropical island pack release so they can obviously get more sales before changeover now I read the Legacy version has been put back to the end of 2019 so I suspect it's going to be a busy year of milking prior to the legacy version being finally released lol

I found this EA update :)

We previously announced that we were making some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac on June 2019. We have decided to postpone this update to later this year. All players can currently play all released packs and will be able to play the recently announced Island Living Expansion Pack. We will share more information on the specific date once we have confirmation.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @SPARKY1922 and @MidnightAura , I'm sorry to hear about your problems with IL. I've had none of these problems. I wonder if I'm just lucky, or is it because I have very little TS4 content installed? I only have Get Together, Strangerville and Jungle Adventure, and it seems that I should be glad I don't have Get To Work, because I would hate to have aliens on my tropical island! I wonder if the townies just standing there are also caused by some action they are trying to perform that comes from a different pack?

I've had the good luck to encounter only one bug, and that one was in my favour: there is a spot where seashells spawn on the sand near my sim's home, where when she picks up a shell it appears in her inventory, but also remains on the sand, so she is able to pick it up and sell it as many times as she wants. A handy money cheat when her conservationist job is not going too well! :)
    I wondered if routing on water would cause a problem in IL. It is afterall a closed world and the first time they have seriously tried to provide the sims with transport.

@Bettyboop55 , I wouldn't say the boats and jet skis in IL are actually transport - although they sound like they should be, in reality they are entertainment objects, like the gondola and the roller coaster in TS3. They are not confined to one lot, though - they are confined to one lot + the open neighbourhood areas around it. In the Oha'lani Town neighborhood at least, this is a lot of space, and while my sim is working from home on her laptop on the deck of her house on the beach, townies will sail into view from one side of my screen and disappear into the other side, giving the illusion that the world is open and that they are actually going somewhere. It looks really lovely, especially since the outrigger canoes look so pretty. But I didn't feel the need for my own sim to try sailing yet, because it would feel strange to sail without actually going anywhere!
    edited June 2019
    Hi @PalmArrow

I am glad to hear you are experiencing very little problems but you could be right about content as it's always the same way with sims games but unfortunately in any series I am a mod/cc junkie and own every pack because I just love content the more the better for me-) I truly like the sound of your bug I must try that and see if it works for my sim :) although it's not mods or CC causing any problems for me presently as I am only using the update UI mod that many other players are using too and have experienced no issues.

I am still not too sure about conservationists yet I only managed to get to the community beach today to test out the snorkeling/swimming and using beach items to see if they were okay which it appeared they were. Am I correct in assuming NPC Sims come along and pick up rubbish from the beach or public areas as I have not seen any rubbish as yet either..

@Bettyboop55 & @MidnightAura

I was wrong about the aqua skis and canoe boats as you have to get your sim into the water first then click on the water and and an option comes up for your sim to ride whatever boat you choose from there inventories however I still like the look of boats attached to residential lots even if I cannot use them but perhaps the water is not boat designated at those lot areas so more testing is required on that.. and like @PalmArrow points out it does feel strange for the boat to actually go nowhere.. -)

I wasn't going to even turn 4 on today after the day I had yesterday but decided I wanted to know about all the bugs that might be going on and of course as I pointed out on another thread this is an oldie but a goodie :) swimming to the lounge :)

XzwT4cm.jpg

and it appears we have the old bug back where townie sims are stealing drinks and food practically out of my own sims hands which is super annoying S2 anyone :)
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @SPARKY1922 , I've met townies working in the conservationist career, but haven't actually seen any of them pick up the garbage. However, I've only seen garbage in the Mua Pel'am neighbourhood, on the shores around the Admiral's Wreckage lot.
    @PalmArrow

Thanks for that info I will check that out to see if I have any more bugs :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2019
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922 , I've met townies working in the conservationist career, but haven't actually seen any of them pick up the garbage. However, I've only seen garbage in the Mua Pel'am neighbourhood, on the shores around the Admiral's Wreckage lot.

The conservationist thing is only on that island. Although you can survey for things in other islands. But I don't think they count for the career goals.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    @Sigzy05

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    jillbg wrote: »
    Bettyboop55 I actually got TS4 when it was for free, I was too curious to pass the offer! :blush: But, honestly, I didn't even make it through the tutorial. I think the only thing that could make me really want to play TS4 is if they take away the loading screens for an open world - which is impossible - and if they do something about the textures (or the lack of them). I've seen fabulous cc skins and clothes for the sims, but the trees, the flowers etc are just too cartoony for me. So even though I can understand players are hopeful about new add-ons, it still seems like clutching for straws to me, and is a source of revenue for EA. I mean, a base game is meant to hook you and the EPs are there to enhance the first experience, to make it even better! :)

I got TS4 when it was free as well but I plan to play it when the game is done, no packs included to see if the issues I've had when trying out the game still persist. Basically the sims lack of personality. If I try Island Living it'll be when my sister or my friend gets it.

To the OP's question, Island Living looks pretty but I find with The Sims 4 most things look pretty color wise, some things irritate me in the way they're designed to look (like almost everything in nature and even sometimes the sims, which I could get over it depending on the gameplay), but it falls flat if all my sims aren't created to be overly happy and expressive sims which even my happiest sims I don't like overly expressive. I like a neutral or in between and I could never find that in TS4, at least not for long.

And I know until something is fixed with personalities and emotions all my sims are going to be the same even if created different and no matter what new pack is released it'll feel like running through it with the same sim in a different body over and over, something that isn't a problem for me in TS3 or TS2 and is why I think some get bored of the game easily but can't put their finger on why.

In the end I don't think anything released for TS4 will tempt me away simply because I love how much more creative freedom I have with The Sims 3 and how my sims act like my sims, the sims I created them to be. If the base game has gotten better by the end I may just add TS4 into rotation of the games I play but I'm iffy on buying packs. I got The Sims 4 soley because it was free, same with The Sims 2 UC, but I don't like not having physical copies of my games and I really don't like using Origin.

The only things that have come close to tempting me into spending money on TS4 are toddlers and CAS.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    Hello @PalmArrow and @SPARKY1922 thank you for the clarification on the boats and jetskis. From what you are saying they clearly have very limited potential as transport :D Very disappointing I should imagine considering that you can go virtually any where in IP on the water and more just about any where to.

Thank you also for the update on the update. It was just a thought on my part but we all know my knowledge of IT can be safely written on a postage stamp :)

I'm glad to hear you are having a better day with the game @SPARKY1922 . A shame about the food thieves though.

Sim enim est vita
    Hello @ApparentlyAwesome it is doubtful that a single pack can magically improve TS4 when you know your issues stem from the base game. Mind you there is always a vague hope that it might and IL looks so very attractive at first glance. If you are really enjoying your current TS3 experience there is no need to move on until you find something else you really like. I agree, if at the end of the TS4 run, you try the game again and still find it is not your cup of tea then it would be pointless to add it to the other games you play on rotation. Especially when you could still be enjoying TS3 :) The personality of the sims remains important whatever you eventually decide to do. The TS2 ones were decided characters but I still prefer the trait system of TS3. I never felt any affection for my TS4 sims but I have cried over the death of a favourite sim in TS3.

Sim enim est vita
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @Bettyboop55 No need to apologize! :) I just sat through a creation of a character in RedDead II with my son who wanted my input. Wow! That game's graphics is kind of what I had expected of TS4 - at least in CAS... I'm also clutching at straws, hoping for an incredible TS5 :joy:
    NymlADp.jpg
    @jillbg taking the thread totally off topic for a second. Thank you for the tip about RedDead. I don't play anything else but sims games. I am always interested to see what other pc games are managing to achieve in terms of graphics because some day I hope there is an opportunity for us to express precisely what we want from a new life simulation game. Having other games as examples is a good starting point. Most of us here have been playing long enough to know precisely what we want from our games, and sadly, there will come a point when it is no longer feasible to play TS3. At that point I really hope there is another game to fill the gap, one which enthralls from day one and continues to do so with each new pack release <3

Now I am off to get an early night. New meds and a sleepless night last night have left me like a wet dish rag.

Sim enim est vita
    Hi @PalmArrow

I am glad to hear you are experiencing very little problems but you could be right about content as it's always the same way with sims games but unfortunately in any series I am a mod/cc junkie and own every pack because I just love content the more the better for me-) I truly like the sound of your bug I must try that and see if it works for my sim :) although it's not mods or CC causing any problems for me presently as I am only using the update UI mod that many other players are using too and have experienced no issues.

I am still not too sure about conservationists yet I only managed to get to the community beach today to test out the snorkeling/swimming and using beach items to see if they were okay which it appeared they were. Am I correct in assuming NPC Sims come along and pick up rubbish from the beach or public areas as I have not seen any rubbish as yet either..

@Bettyboop55 & @MidnightAura

I was wrong about the aqua skis and canoe boats as you have to get your sim into the water first then click on the water and and an option comes up for your sim to ride whatever boat you choose from there inventories however I still like the look of boats attached to residential lots even if I cannot use them but perhaps the water is not boat designated at those lot areas so more testing is required on that.. and like @PalmArrow points out it does feel strange for the boat to actually go nowhere.. -)

I wasn't going to even turn 4 on today after the day I had yesterday but decided I wanted to know about all the bugs that might be going on and of course as I pointed out on another thread this is an oldie but a goodie :) swimming to the lounge :)

XzwT4cm.jpg

and it appears we have the old bug back where townie sims are stealing drinks and food practically out of my own sims hands which is super annoying S2 anyone :)

I tried my game briefly this evening. I didn’t have a lot of gaming time today and most it sent to the sims 3. I’m having a blast playing in Isla Paradiso.

I was pleased that on the beach lot there was no lag or stuck sims. That is my second brand new game I’ve started. Didn’t risk the first one. I’ve not had food being stolen from my sims but then again they have only eaten at the festival things.