Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the grid items (confused)

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Has anyone figured out how to order upgrade parts for an off-the-grid lot? It seems like the phone functionality is limited when I’m home and I can’t find the “order upgrade parts” option at the library computers.

I think this is a bug. Every member of a household with off the grid that I have taken to a different lot to use a computer, doesn't have the buy upgrade part feature available. Even if I move them to a different lot or remove the trait they don't get the option back.

I killed a couple sims on lot and got repair parts by fixing everything they broke :wink: You can also buy parts directly from the build/buy catalog, or sell them in a retail store. Don't bother having someone else buy and gifting to your sim unless you dont mind taking a while, as they gift one at a time :/
  • bookwormst699bookwormst699 Posts: 21 Member
    @Simsandra There are mods which allow you to use more items off-grid according to Lazy Gamer Reviews, but if you wanted to play without any MODs for your Sims 4 game.
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    @bookwormst699 yes, I use one mod for the wash basin, I really like it, but I prefer no mods in general. I hope they will fix the "off the grid" stuff.
  • Dud3tteDud3tte Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2019
    Probably wouldn't make much sense for a tropical place like Sulani, but you can use fireplaces for light and also make them look like a heat source since there wouldn't be central heating. You could also just use the fireplace coffee table thing from City Living if you have it.
    And the washbasin/clothesline from Laundry Day works off the grid.
  • EmsPlaysSimsEmsPlaysSims Posts: 1 New Member
    My game isn't letting me use any off the grid ovens/stoves. Has any one else had this problem?
  • RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Simsandra wrote: »
    I am sad that the washtub for the clothes does not work, you can not change the water 😑
    I really wanted my off the grid sims to wash laundry by hand.

But the cheapest fridge, oven, shower, toilet and sink work on the lot. Also this old fashioned looking items.

Sounds like an oversight. Same as people being unable to clean toilets on off the grid lots 🤮

Skill up your woodworking skill and you can upgrade things to clean its self for you.
    It seems counterintuitive that a fridge can work off the grid... What the heck is it running on?!

Ice, you have to go collect ice or buy it and put it in bottom of it. Or at least that's what I pretend.
    edited July 2019
    They need to go back through th BB catalog and revamp what works and what doesn't. Because a lot of it doesn't make sense. Like this video points out.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXWnvRif_4

So, sims can also use the sinks and such and other items but only if they decided to use it and you do not tell them too. If you hire a maid the maid can change the water. You have to click on toddler and as parent for bath. You can skill up on wood working and upgrade stuff to self clean.
    Has anyone figured out how to wash a dog off the grid? My dog got skunked. :s

Click on dog no the tub and go to pet care. Then you can wash them in tub same with toddlers.
    I got a toilet from vampires, that is functional off the grid, and my pregnant sim vomited, and now there is no way to clean it...
    Very frustrating

Upgrade toilet to self clean and it will clean it.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    The bathtub sims can create on the workbench also won't work off the grid. Not even the one that looks like it's made out of planks.

And yet, certain showers work?

I'm trying to do some historical gameplay with a bunch of vikings here, and its proving to be a little more unnecessarily difficult than it should be.

Honestly, I'd love a proper off the grid stuff pack! Or maybe even game pack, perhaps.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    The bathtub sims can create on the workbench also won't work off the grid. Not even the one that looks like it's made out of planks.

I'm trying to do some historical gameplay with a bunch of vikings here, and its proving to be a little more unnecessarily difficult than it should be.

Honestly, I'd love a proper off the grid stuff pack! Or maybe even game pack, perhaps.

Hear hear!!

I am hoping that they will continue to upgrade this part of the game.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet, but I'm very concerned about the developers. What kind of nut puts their yoghurt and cold cereal in the microwave??? (Those options are unavailable due to the lack of a microwave on my off-the-grid lot. I'm more amused than annoyed by this.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • simgirl542simgirl542 Posts: 1,071 Member
    What about using the bushes for toilets? That's what I would do if none of the off the grid toilets worked for me.
    I tried the feature when it first came out, wasn't all that impressed with the lack of things I could use, and had them go back on the grid.
    I might try it again someday, but only for the sims that I have go on vacation or exploring the jungle at first. To me staying in a cabin while vacationing in the woods/jungle would need to be off the grid.
    Celebrating 11 years on this forum. Simming proudly since 2001.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    The pee bushes are really handy, but I wouldn't want one on my home lot. They stink!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The pee bushes are really handy, but I wouldn't want one on my home lot. They stink!

True, and you certainly wouldn't do this in the real world. Maybe on a hiking trip in a place with no or few facilities, but not at home.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • AnisaerahAnisaerah Posts: 26 Member
    I had to turn off the trait in my most recent save, because the game wouldn't even recognize the toilets and showers that are made to be used off the grid.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited July 2019
    Has anyone figured out how to order upgrade parts for an off-the-grid lot? It seems like the phone functionality is limited when I’m home and I can’t find the “order upgrade parts” option at the library computers.

No, but I did have my Sim purchase that laptop that's portable. Then I have him go to the nearest public spot on-grid and from there I had him order what he needed to make the fireplaces safe. The trick is, I discovered, he has to own the computer. The freebie ones for public use won't do. Discovered that the hard way. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • filipe231291filipe231291 Posts: 17 Member

Glad I'm not the only one feeling picky about the handmade bathtub not working, but the toilet does (especially the bad quality one lol). Hope they fix it, because it really fits the off-the-grid theme :/
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Glad I'm not the only one feeling picky about the handmade bathtub not working, but the toilet does (especially the bad quality one lol). Hope they fix it, because it really fits the off-the-grid theme :/

I checked and sims can't take baths at all with off-the-grid. Even the shower/tub combos only allow showers. So I guess the intention was to only allow limited plumbing at best
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SapphicMojoSapphicMojo Posts: 58 Member
    Simsandra wrote: »
    Here you are. Seems like a proof that the washtub is not meant to be working off the grid.

L4w0M8s.png

That's from washing your hands, not from using the washtub for laundry. I'm assuming you've realized this by now, so I'm posting for future readers. It must've been fixed by now, as I get an option to "replace water" after I've used the washtub on a load of laundry. If you DID get the handwashing tooltip debuff from doing laundry, that's perhaps not functioning as intended. The only real issue I've experienced with the washtub on an offgrid lot is that it took over 2 sim hours to wash a single load. I ended up sending my Sim to work and had to rewash the load left in the washtub the next morning. Only happened once & most likely due to my sluggish laptop.

• Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    It is insane that showers work and tubs dont when you live off the grid. I lived on a farm for years which was off the grid and you dont have showers because getting water pressure with limited plumbing is almost impossible. Plus water conservation is much better with a minimally filled tub.
    We would fill the tub with 1 - 2 inches of water only. All 3 children would bathe, then mum then she would hand wash our underwear and smaller clothes then finally dad would bathe. The water would then be used for any other scrubbing / cleaning chores before the tub was finally emptied. No shower uses such little water. Your tanks would run out too soon with showers.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    In the 16th to the 19th Centuries people bathed in tubs.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    The entire off the grid concept is pointless as long as there's no option to remove phones.

They shouldn't be attached to sims like they are an android or something, let them buy phones! Have different ones with different options.

• SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    The entire off the grid concept is pointless as long as there's no option to remove phones.

They shouldn't be attached to sims like they are an android or something, let them buy phones! Have different ones with different options.

I second this.