Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the grid items (confused)

I have a lot I've popped the off the grid trait on the lot I'm making for Island Living and I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't use. The oil lamps I had out (basegame) need electricity, so I've swapped them out for the Dine Out candles in the glass domes. Are there any other items that are off the grid friendly, and are they marked in any way in the catalogue?

Comments

• jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I've got a pee bush and my sim will be using the sea, waterfall to wash, and she has a cooler/esky and a grill. What do I do about dishes (chuck them out?)? Also does anyone know if there are fishing spots in Sulani? I'm guessing/hoping so since I'm guessing my sim will be living on fish and what she can grow.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited June 2019
    There are definitely fishing spots!

Edit: Here's a place Maxis is gathering reports of lamps that ought to work off the grid but don't: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-A-JA-Lights-not-working-with-Off-the-Grid-lot-trait/m-p/7956000#M92032
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Cool, i'll check that out later and add the oil lamp if it isn't flagged.
  • Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    I belie6if you hover over the item in the buy catalog, it should tell you what works off the grid and what doesn't.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    There is one oven that works, the first in the catalogue from the base game and some ovens, sinks, showers, toilets that work that you can check the catalogues for. No bath. It depends on which packs you have as Vampires has the most available. Look for the message that they will function below the item details.
  • ShadyLady_DQShadyLady_DQ Posts: 476 Member
    The DIY shower from Strangerville also works. However all bath/shower combos have the bath option greyed out. I believe it was Iron Seagull who said that the interaction to bath a toddler or pet is still there if you click on them instead of the tub itself.
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am sad that the washtub for the clothes does not work, you can not change the water 😑
    I really wanted my off the grid sims to wash laundry by hand.

But the cheapest fridge, oven, shower, toilet and sink work on the lot. Also this old fashioned looking items.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    The DIY shower from Strangerville also works. However all bath/shower combos have the bath option greyed out. I believe it was Iron Seagull who said that the interaction to bath a toddler or pet is still there if you click on them instead of the tub itself.

That seems odd to me. Taking a bath is more off the grid than taking a shower, IMO.
    Simsandra wrote: »
    I am sad that the washtub for the clothes does not work, you can not change the water 😑

And this seems even stranger! I would definitely have assumed that the washtub and clothing line would fit perfectly with off the grid.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

But the cheapest fridge, oven, shower, toilet and sink work on the lot. Also this old fashioned looking items.

Noo!! I want my off-grid-sims to toil with doing laundry by hand. If had I to do that each and every summer vacation spent in a tent on the beach then my sims will do it too when they are beach bums.

Hope they will patch it 🙂
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The base game oil lamp is actually a fake electric one, says so in the description (I was confused too)
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

I think that is one of the ones people have reported as should be working but isn’t.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

I think that is one of the ones people have reported as should be working but isn’t.

I am not quite sure about that. The sim gets a moodlet (tense) for 2 hours that says something like "tense because if dirty water that spoils the clothes (because off the grid lot trait)" or something. I will take a look and post a pic of it, give me one sec.
    edited June 2019
    Here you are. Seems like a proof that the washtub is not meant to be working off the grid.

L4w0M8s.png

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Here you are. Seems like a proof that the washtub is not meant to be working off the grid.

L4w0M8s.png

Oki, thank you.
    Thanks all, it’s a bummer the washing tub isn’t working, I wanted to use that. Now I know where to look, I’ll have a good look later. The fake oil lamp annoyed me though, I hope someone has made a cc one that’s actually, I like the way it looks!
    @SilentKitty I really hope they will patch it. I mean in real life it would be possible to take a short walk to the nearest pond/river/ ocean to get a bucket of water.
    @jeepjeepcat there is a lamp from cats & dogs that works without electricity. Looks similar to the oil lamp but there is a candle inside.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    as a player i fine no use for such a trait but thats me i much prefer for my sims modern everyday living so as a plyer i will not be using that lot trait at all
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Rococo1256Rococo1256 Posts: 233 Member
    @Simsandra @SilentKitty I wrote about the washtub in the stuff packs section. It seems to partially work, but it seems like one has to temporarily go back on the grid to change the water occasionally. Perhaps they will fix this, but at least it partially works. I have more details in my other post. I’m glad other Simmers want to use the washtub off the grid, too. Wouldn’t it be neat if we could refill the water from the waterfall in Sulani?
    I am GreenRocket on the Gallery.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    L4w0M8s.png

Unrelated, that's from washing hands. It even says so in the tooltip. I haven't used the washtub yet and I got that moodlet.
    @happyopi oh, so I got that wrong 😅 english isn't my first language, I just play on english, because I stream for my british friends xD
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    L4w0M8s.png

Unrelated, that's from washing hands. It even says so in the tooltip. I haven't used the washtub yet and I got that moodlet.

Actually you do get that moodlet from washing your clothes in the washtub.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,420 Member
    Has anyone tried to use a laptop with the new lot trait? I read somewhere they were supposed to be usable but it didn't work in my game this morning.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    FYI for people trying to deal with laundry who are open to mods: https://nieswillsneeze.tumblr.com/post/185725408829/sims-4-replace-water-off-grid-mod-nies
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.