Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Downloading Mods

Hi, I have been told how to download a mod, but I can't seem to get it right. Can someone tell me is there a tutorial (not video) that tells me step to step what to do, or can someone tell me how? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• jejjwnejejjwne Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, so I have had an issue with downloading mods into my game. I am trying to download the Torture and chaos mod, there is an updated version for people with the game pack get to work so I have been trying to install this. I have tried "unzipping" the package file as it was designed for a windows version. This then copies the file to read "Torture & Chaos-GTW Only v1.3.package.cpgz". Most youtube videos and people on forums have had a similar problem however once the file is zipped the file is no longer a "package.cpgz" and is a ".zip" or ".rar". Once added the content to my game, the game runs, as usual, no mods installed. I have tried everything including adding the packaged version that did upload "the book of chaos" however my sim could not interact with it as the mod stated. Have looked on loads of forums and youtube videos but I still have had no luck. Have also tried fiddling with the "resource.cfg" file as some users have suggested but still no luck.

Sorry, this is so lengthy! Hope someone can help!!
  • Cybill1Cybill1 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to download the mods in my game. I've tried & tried, I've even watched Youtube videos but I can't download it into my game please help!
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    Cybill1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to download the mods in my game. I've tried & tried, I've even watched Youtube videos but I can't download it into my game please help!

This is an excellent written guide to CC and Mods that explains everything you need to know. Please take a moment and read the entire guide:
    https://simscommunity.info/2019/05/29/the-sims-4-getting-started-with-mods-and-cc/
  • StupidBunnySuitStupidBunnySuit Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi! I've never used MODS or CC before. I've been thinking about downloading MCCC. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of it? I'm nervous to download it because I don't want to ruin anything in my game. Is it worth it?
  • manoloperezmanoloperez Posts: 2 New Member
    tengo ciertas dudas sobre los mods de peinados... He visto esta web en internet <a href="https://simsteca.com/mods/los-mejores-mods-de-peinado-en-sims-4/"></a>[/url].. No se como instalar este tipo de mods, alguien me podría echar una mano?

gracias
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    tengo ciertas dudas sobre los mods de peinados... He visto esta web en internet <a href="https://simsteca.com/mods/los-mejores-mods-de-peinado-en-sims-4/"></a>[/url].. No se como instalar este tipo de mods, alguien me podría echar una mano?

gracias

Hi! You may want to reset your board for Spanish.
    ¡Hola! Es posible que desee restablecer su tablero para español
  • Merricat94Merricat94 Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2020
    Don't know if it's any help but since other's have already posted guides I will just add one issue I had. I use CC liberally but mods are new to me, I have just started to dip my toes into the world of modd. Starting with downloading the mods needed for poses and the poses themselves. They didn't work at first because I put them in a sub folder within the mods folder. So I took them out and just placed them in the mods folder without filing them in any kind of sub folder, restarted my game and boom! It worked!

So maybe check for that?

Also I am considering trying out some gameplay mods — MCCC, Slice of Life and Meaningful Stories, specifically! Like @StupidBunnySuit I am kinda worried it will mess things up. I am thinking of making a new save just to try them out and see if I like them. I'm guessing if it causes problems with the game you can just delete the mod from your folder and that would get rid of potential bugging? That's mostly what I'm worried about, breaking my game lol

Edit: I JUST SAW WHEN THIS WAS POSTED RIP ME LOL SORRY! Maybe the info will still be useful to someone lol
  • StupidBunnySuitStupidBunnySuit Posts: 4 New Member
    [quote="Merricat94;c-17504217"]Don't know if it's any help but since other's have already posted guides I will just add one issue I had. I use CC liberally but mods are new to me, I have just started to dip my toes into the world of modd. Starting with downloading the mods needed for poses and the poses themselves. They didn't work at first because I put them in a sub folder within the mods folder. So I took them out and just placed them in the mods folder without filing them in any kind of sub folder, restarted my game and boom! It worked!

So maybe check for that?

Also I am considering trying out some gameplay mods — MCCC, Slice of Life and Meaningful Stories, specifically! Like @StupidBunnySuit I am kinda worried it will mess things up. I am thinking of making a new save just to try them out and see if I like them. I'm guessing if it causes problems with the game you can just delete the mod from your folder and that would get rid of potential bugging? That's mostly what I'm worried about, breaking my game lol

Edit: I JUST SAW WHEN THIS WAS POSTED RIP ME LOL SORRY! Maybe the info will still be useful to someone lol [/quote]

Thank you! It's very useful ❤
  • OnyxshadowOnyxshadow Posts: 10 New Member
    How do you know that the mod you're downloading is safe? Sorry new guy here
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Onyxshadow wrote: »
    How do you know that the mod you're downloading is safe? Sorry new guy here

First, mods are always, always at your own risk where your saves are concerned. Always have backups of your saves (but not via OneDrive automated backup and similar automated backups -- they cause Sims problems).

Your main risk is that a mod isn't compatible with the current version of the game. Be more suspicious of older mods than ones more recently updated or uploaded. On Mod the Sims, you can check if the mod creator is active and if there are comments indicating that the mod still works. Many mod creators have active Discord servers, Tumblrs, and/or Twitter accounts, so you can tell the modder is active and keeping up their mods.

When there's a new game update (like tomorrow!) many mods will break. I start Broken Mods threads here on the Forums, in the Mods area, to track what's broken and what's been updated. I also retweet/reblog and post some update info (for widely popular content) on my Twitter and Tumblr. If you join Deaderpool's Discord server, you'll find notices of major mod issues there too, but they also redirect to the more comprehensive lists.

As for getting viruses/trojans and the like, stick to what seems more established in terms of sites. But it's been a good while since I heard of problems like that within the Sims creator community.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Tabbie88Tabbie88 Posts: 24 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > First, mods are always, always at your own risk where your saves are concerned. Always have backups of your saves (but not via OneDrive automated backup and similar automated backups -- they cause Sims problems).
    >
    > Your main risk is that a mod isn't compatible with the current version of the game. Be more suspicious of older mods than ones more recently updated or uploaded. On Mod the Sims, you can check if the mod creator is active and if there are comments indicating that the mod still works. Many mod creators have active Discord servers, Tumblrs, and/or Twitter accounts, so you can tell the modder is active and keeping up their mods.
    >
    > When there's a new game update (like tomorrow!) many mods will break. I start Broken Mods threads here on the Forums, in the Mods area, to track what's broken and what's been updated. I also retweet/reblog and post some update info (for widely popular content) on my Twitter and Tumblr. If you join Deaderpool's Discord server, you'll find notices of major mod issues there too, but they also redirect to the more comprehensive lists.
    >
    > As for getting viruses/trojans and the like, stick to what seems more established in terms of sites. But it's been a good while since I heard of problems like that within the Sims creator community.

How do you made a backup of your saves?

I just uninstalled OneDrive because I found out that's where all my MODs where going and ended up losing everything!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    @Tabbie88 Just copy and past your Saves folder to somewhere else other than The Sims 4 folder.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Tabbie88Tabbie88 Posts: 24 Member
    Oohh wow!! LoL. Thank you @luthienrising , that so super easy! I feel a little slow now. Haha!