Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best internet for this game?

davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
I went to the help center and everything was 2018/old or it didn't have a discussion button to push at the top. So, I didn't know exactly where to post this.

I currently have 1.5 whatever it is with my present internet. I was wondering what the best options were for playing this game. Is satellite not good? Not familiar at all with the numbers or types. What has the fastest download times. My download time is horrible.
Post edited by davina1221 on

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    you only need internet to sign in to origin, use the gallery, or download patches. so there's not really a reason to look for a "best internet" for this game
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Cupid wrote: »
    you only need internet to sign in to origin, use the gallery, or download patches. so there's not really a reason to look for a "best internet" for this game

I've been downloading this present patch for hours and it is at 50% that is why I ask. I'm planning on getting a new one and I thought I would see what would be best especially for downloading.

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Yeah I don’t think this is a question for the forums. There are way too many variables, like what kinds of internet you can even get in your area, and what kind of plan you can afford. You should probably ask your service provider about upgrading or something.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    1.5 what? 1.5GB/s? That should be more than enough tho.

I'd say about 500mb/s is a good enough speed to download patches and stuff.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Satellite in my area doesn't do GBs only MBs and KBs. It's also the only internet provider where I live.
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    1.5 what? 1.5GB/s? That should be more than enough tho.

I'd say about 500mb/s is a good enough speed to download patches and stuff.

To be quiet honest, I don't remember. I just saw it on my bill area once. It is the lowest you can get and they had talked about putting 10 in this area. I just think 3hrs. at around 48% is horrible. From what I'm seeing in comments on the site, no one else is downloading that slow on here. Also, two people in my house can't really actively use the internet at once.

• Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited June 2019
    I have a really fast internet. Because of that it only takes 30 min to download the Base game and all of the eps+gps+sps . I think a decent internet connect is important. But im not sure about the technicalities . Im too unlearned on the subject:D

But I do test my internet speed online and its always fast.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    artistichippie2009artistichippie2009 Posts: 115 Member
    1.5 is probably your GB/s. You dont need internet at all for the game as long as you have it downloaded already. 1.5 is probably your DL speed, which isn't great, but if your not using any other internet at the time then it should still DL just fine. Sometimes if you are able to plug it into Ethernet it can go a little bit faster. But there is no "good/right internet" for the sims.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »

I've been downloading this present patch for hours and it is at 50% that is why I ask. I'm planning on getting a new one and I thought I would see what would be best especially for downloading.

That does seem really slow, the internet plans are different all over but it took 6 minutes on my computer.
  • Options
    Maybe, I should've put downloads in the name. I don't really care if it is on or offline when I play, but downloading is a real issue for me.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Yeah. your download is pretty slow....but not much you can do to fix that other than get a new provider or upgrade your plan.. Honestly any inernet would be fine, but the bigger the MB/s the faster it will be. I mean I just did a quick speedtest and my DL speed is 1.45MB/s and it DLed the patch within an hour. My husband is my Internet Serivce Provider though, so it varies alot..

Edit to add even though my DL speed is slow, I'm on my laptop, stremaing a show on amazon on my xbox, and my husband is playing an online game. so not bad IMO
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    1.5 is probably your GB/s. You dont need internet at all for the game as long as you have it downloaded already. 1.5 is probably your DL speed, which isn't great, but if your not using any other internet at the time then it should still DL just fine. Sometimes if you are able to plug it into Ethernet it can go a little bit faster. But there is no "good/right internet" for the sims.

Yeah no. If OP has satellite they’re getting 100 Mbps at best probably.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Make sure you don't have anything else eating up your internet like other downloads, streaming, being on youtube.

How much is it running at night per second with your download when you look into origin? When I had very slow internet it was in the KB area and that was pretty bad, but at the time AT&T pretty much did false advertisement to how fast their internet was even though I was paying out more for more faster internet.

Go to speedtest.net to check what your internet speed is by running a quick test. Just click on go.

I have Spectrum and luckily was able to get it in my area and it's been 4x the speed my old internet use to be or claimed it was.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    QueenMercy wrote: »

Yeah no. If OP has satellite they’re getting 100 Mbps at best probably.

Did she say she had sattlite? I must have missed that part. I saw where she asked if sattalite was good to get but didn't knwo thats what she had now
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2019
    Avoid connecting by Wi-Fi if you can... Use Ethernet connection instead.

Get ahold of your account so you know what you are actually paying for. Do a speed test to see what you're getting. Cable is a better service over Satellite. Fiber optic is the best choice IF it's in your area and it is more expensive. If upgrading your plan or changing providers, I'd aim for 400Mbps (higher is better) but I have no idea what's available in your area. (edit: 200Mbps even if you can swing that.)

The patch took 1 minute for me. Some days my internet is very wonky... today it's behaving. Last year I upgraded to 600Mbps Fiber optic from 400Mbps Cable. Before that, in another city, we were lucky enough to have 1GB Fiber Optic (Google). Internet providers are different everywhere. I get the best plan I can within my budget because connections are not always 100% what you pay for and it also matters who else is using the internet and for what. I never use Wi-Fi on my gaming computer if I can help it.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    This is not an online game
    Then no problem your speed
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sounds like OP might be on a 1.5 mb/s connection, which is pretty awful this day and age and a nightmare for downloading content. No way is it 1.5 gb/s with those DL times.
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    This is not an online game
    Then no problem your speed
    Sounds like they simply just want to download patches much faster.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Centurylink. I also just got my Origin back; it was down. I bought Strangerville(which loaded pretty decently for a GP) and pre-ordered Island Living. After the Strangerville download, the new patch started automatically. I don't know what the issue, but my computer took from before 4pm to after 11pm last night. That isn't normal.
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    I have Spectrum and luckily was able to get it in my area and it's been 4x the speed my old internet use to be or claimed it was.
    Thanks for all your info and advice, I will check out spectrum.
    So_Money wrote: »
    Sounds like OP might be on a 1.5 mb/s connection, which is pretty awful this day and age a nightmare for downloading content. No way is it 1.5 gb/s with those DL times.

It is a nightmare and not just for this game, but a game I play on FB as well, which is another reason I'm inquiring.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I just got a hotspot to do some light online gaming and downloading the recent pack used up 1.62 GB of my 14 GB. So I would suggest going to the local library or coffee shop and downloading the patches or games and just use your internet at home for some occasional gallery browsing.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif