Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I've chosen the wrong time to return to Sims 4...

The big patch is coming soon, and I'm sure my favorite mods would be broken. I can't imagine playing without them in Sims 4. The reason for me returning to Sims 4 is because I got a lot of issues with Sims 3 right now.
I'm so done with this site!

Comments

• Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    I'm dreading the imminent patch because of the potential damage it will do to mods.

The patch will probably end up needing a patch as well. Awkward times ahead.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Which mods do you use? If it's MCCC or UI Extensions those usually get updated quite quickly.

On patch day I usually boot my game up before the patch comes so that I can continue playing it after everything starts breaking and I can fully assess what I am going to need to update before shutting my game down (sometimes I don't even bother to update until the following day). Usually it's UI Extensions that breaks with every patch because that mod breaks if you you squint at it funny but at it but it's my favorite and most used mod so I'm glad it's usually updated pretty quickly.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    @deafsimmer, I'm not worried about MCCC even if it breaks. It's creator, Deaderpool, is awsome at updating quickly when patches/packs come out.
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Why not just turn off automatic updates?
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    You don’t need to install the patch. Turn off automatic updates in Origin and go offline. Then you can still play while waiting for your mods to be updated (just without the gallery).
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Eh, patches breaking mods have the been The Sims' song and dance basically since patching and modding existed. I usually do what @MaggieMarley said and go offline until I know everything I need is fixed (most of my mods are the really popular ones that get updated within 24-48 hours)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    If you use Sacrificial's mods those ALWAYS break. The only major mods I have is MCC and the UI mod, which I can definitely live without for a day or two. MCC rarely ever seems to break like other mods and I've been able to use it through patches with no problems.

Luckily with the early patch, modders have some time to update their mods before IL on Friday. I would just play offline as some have suggested and keep your auto updates off. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I guess it depends on the mods. Some I hear are updated quickly, but you could always play offline to make sure it doesn’t realise there’s an update for the game. 🤔
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It's times like this a man is glad he's mod-free.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    I use MCCC, and I'm planning to use the Sorcerer mod, Simulation Lag Fix, and the Facial Overlays Less Smiling.

I sure like for my sims to not smile so much.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I am so glad my husband is also a gamer. I update download the patch on his computer and get the mods sorted. Then when my need to have mods are fixed I update mine. I wait a few days longer with new content since I have to wait until he is done with evening meetings with his team in other time zones but at least my game is ok.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I just switch to building or revamping Sims' wardrobes until mods are updated. Most of the tuning mods I use rarely need updating unless EA uses the same files that the mods use. That's the main reason that mods "break", and it's in response to EA adding or improving content. I can wait a few extra days in exchange for new stuff. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @DeafSimmer At least you don't have to worry about Nyx' mermaid mod ;)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    EA_SpectreEA_Spectre Posts: 263 EA Administrator
    edited June 2019
    Hey @DeafSimmer you don't have to play offline to avoid instant updates.

Just go into your Origin client and click on Origin --> Application Settings, like you can see here:

fwme0cxejbjj.jpg

Scroll down a bit and you should see this:

drcsoce26n2y.jpg

These are my settings, and I think it's also the default settings. If you don't want auto-updates, just flip the switch on "Automatic game updates" so that it is grey (0) and not green (1) anymore.

That way, if a patch comes out, you can wait until your favourite mods are updated. You can then always trigger a manual update of your Sims game by right-clicking on the game tile and selecting "Update Game" as you can see here:

l6d32n81nz3e.jpg

Just make sure that you do update your game from time to time, the Sims team always adds exciting stuff and fixes a lot of bugs. The update today for example brought some really fun additions!

One exception to all this: When an update is mandatory, which an update for a new expansion pack may very well be. Then you actually need to go in "Offline Mode" to avoid the update. You can see in the first picture in my post that it also gives you the option Origin --> Go Offline - you can see that you are in offline mode when this shows up in the top right of your Origin client:

io0ed9lefqiq.jpg
    Post edited by EA_Spectre on
  • Options
    lazyjuniperlazyjuniper Posts: 65 Member
    @EA_Spectre is it possible to downgrade game version in Origin?
  • Options
    EA_SpectreEA_Spectre Posts: 263 EA Administrator
    Not really, @lazyjuniper as Origin always gives you the latest version.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    can a game that hasn't been updated, still be played?
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I don't use many mods though. So if they break, oh well. I want that update! :)
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    can a game that hasn't been updated, still be played?

Yes, you can still play the game if you haven't yet updated it :)
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I always disable automatic updates and only enable them a couple of weeks after a major patch, when the dust has settled and my mods have been updated.