March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you imagine The Sims 5?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    When they announce Sims 5 and start to reveale what it will be like and if it will be anything like what I expect from a Sims game (no multiplayer, a thorough, in-depth basegame, open world, a focus on freedom and player’s input), only then do I want to think about what such a game could contain. Until then I fear speculating will just be a waste of time.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I imagine the game that we all want. Great personalities, CAW, Color wheel etc. But I know it won't be like that cause it's EA and Maxis (yeah at this state we can't only blame EA cause Maxis don't have good priorities tho).
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I wouldn’t worry about what EA call the future of gaming and taking that as gospel.

This is the same company who last year pro claimed that single player games are dead; when actually there was overwhelming evidence to the contrary for many, many single player games both in terms of sales and awards with one title winning repeatedly. Awards which no EA title got a look in at.

This is EA who are now working on a single player game in spite of saying all single player games are dead.

This is the same EA who call loot boxes “fun surprise mechanics” in games they are marketing to children and who are fighting Belgium who do not allow loot boxes in their games.

This is the same EA who destroyed sim city by making it an online only game just to abandon it when it of course flopped. That in turn stopped The Sims 4 from being an online game and we all know how that turned out.

Anyone remember the flop that was the sims online? I do.
    I’m not saying they aren’t foolish enough to try again with a sims 5. I think given half a chance they will try again. If they can make it a chargeable service and split dlc into even further pieces then I believe they would. I have no hope for sims 5. I’m just saying that EA aren’t known for listening to what their customer wants, they tell them what the customer wants and then more often than no it goes belly up.

Reminds me of that "EA Games, challenge everything (including customers)" meme 😃

But yes, I 100% agree!
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    edited July 2019
    I've read posts from people who have said that Weather and Seasons should be included in the base game. Whether they listen to us or not, I would like to see Sims react to the weather conditions based on their personalities, likes, dislikes wants and fears. Example a Sim who likes thunderstorms could sit on the porch and watch the storm brewing. A Sim who doesn't like Winter gets paranoid and frantically makes their milk and toilet paper run when they see snow in the weather forecast.
    Post edited by deeman190 on
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I imagine it taking the best features from all the games and making them work for the ultimate Sims game.
    But I doubt that they will do that. They will probably attempt to do what they intended to do with The Sims 4 in its early stages of development in some kind of new form.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    First of all, I think Seasons and Pets should be base game feautures moving forward.
    I would hope for life stages to be more fluid so that a toddler doesn't instantaneously turn into a kid or an adult doesn't instantaneously turn into an elder after blowing the candles for example.
    Sims should feel more like individuals and have more personal quirks and memory. Having favourite things that influence your sim's behaviour would be cool. An attraction system that makes sense. I dislike how at the moment anything goes and any sim can have a romantic relationship with whatever sim you want them to, barely any obstacles.
    My list could go on but something tells me that the next iteration is not going to be a major improvement nor a radical awesome change.
    The game peaked with TS2 in my opinion.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
    I hope they select a completely different team for TS5.
    First of all, I think Seasons and Pets should be base game feautures moving forward.
    I would hope for life stages to be more fluid so that a toddler doesn't instantaneously turn into a kid or an adult doesn't instantaneously turn into an elder after blowing the candles for example.
    Sims should feel more like individuals and have more personal quirks and memory. Having favourite things that influence your sim's behaviour would be cool. An attraction system that makes sense. I dislike how at the moment anything goes and any sim can have a romantic relationship with whatever sim you want them to, barely any obstacles.
    My list could go on but something tells me that the next iteration is not going to be a major improvement nor a radical awesome change.
    The game peaked with TS2 in my opinion.

• jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member

This is the important part for me, that I keep stressing. Cats, dogs and basic weather in the base game is a must at this point. The expansion packs for Sims 5 should be NEW unexplored areas, not the same "years of waiting for pets and seasons so the game feels complete" spiel.

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I think we need to be a little realistic with this is mi d I would like open hoods EG: Down town, suburbs, city center etc als a. Education system that means something perhaps if you do well in school it opens up more Job opportunity also I would like open careers and schools.
    It is a bit unrealistic to expect both seasons and pets to be in the base game. I would expect one or the other to be in the base game and then have an expansion pack released later. I've said before that I hope they consider exploring the possibility of allowing Sims to visit and move to all neighborhoods (or worlds) in the game.
    jooxis wrote: »

This is the important part for me, that I keep stressing. Cats, dogs and basic weather in the base game is a must at this point. The expansion packs for Sims 5 should be NEW unexplored areas, not the same "years of waiting for pets and seasons so the game feels complete" spiel.

• MoaMoa Posts: 33 Member
    Like ts4 just better, hopeully
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited July 2019
    I want sim behavior to be modeled after psychology and sociology concepts. Sims 2 was good at this, but it was just scratching the surface. For the psych aspect, I want something close to how Inside Out worked. Personality, emotions, and memory should be tied together in meaningful ways. We could have something like TS2's memory system, but each memory is infused with one or more emotions. The parenting system should be taken further and it should tie into the development of a sim's core personality traits.

Traits should be categorized into core and auxiliary traits. Not all traits are equal, after all. Being a good person is more encompassing than, say, being a dog person. Maybe let sims have 3 core traits and 5 auxiliary ones. And maybe add a point system to give "magnitude" to some traits, where a sim can just be nice or be compassionate, in order to add some gradation to personality traits

For the sociological aspect, I know TS1 is supposed to be a satire of American culture and Maxis is based in California, but it would be nice if the societies in the game weren't Western-centric. Like there are some assumptions in the way our sims live that are rooted in Western culture. I want this to be more flexible, where certain places have their own norms and culture. And all worlds should both be inhabitable and work as a vacation spot. After all, real people live in the tropics and aren't just a backdrop to someone's vacation trip. And lots of people have been to America as tourists (like me).

My idea is that each save file is one entire planet. And on the broadest scale, you can terraform land masses. Then you can choose to place cities across the land masses. And then you can divide each city into neighborhoods up to 8 visible lots (plus rabbit holes), and each neighborhood is open, as a compromise. If a sim has to go to a rabbit hole that's not in the neighborhood, they'll just go off world.

I'd love it if each NPC role is a valid job for playable sims. Your sim works as a maid or bartender on the side? Why not? And careers and school should be rabbit holes, but you can visit your sim in order to finely control their day. And for storytelling purposes. This could come in a free update or DLC. And whenever you're out of the house, I'd love it if time would freeze at home like in TS2, because I don't like how uncontrolled sims in TS4 don't use their time efficiently.

This one is more of a stretch, but I'd love to see gradual aging and height sliders. Like when a sim ages, their body slowly morphs to resemble the next life stage so that the age transition is seamless. They'd have to come up with a complex animation system for this to work though. A guy can dream. Oh, and hair and cloth physics. The stiff hair and clothes look bizarre

Edit: Another thing is that wants should be categorized into long-term goals and whims. Long-terms goals shouldn't change much unless the player decides to give up on one, while whims are more like the ones in TS4 or low-value wants in TS2. These should also tie into a sim's personality
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I want sim behavior to be modeled after psychology and sociology concepts. Sims 2 was good at this, but it was just scratching the surface. For the psych aspect, I want something close to how Inside Out worked. Personality, emotions, and memory should be tied together in meaningful ways. We could have something like TS2's memory system, but each memory is infused with one or more emotions. The parenting system should be taken further and it should tie into the development of a sim's core personality traits.

Traits should be categorized into core and auxiliary traits. Not all traits are equal, after all. Being a good person is more encompassing than, say, being a dog person. Maybe let sims have 3 core traits and 5 auxiliary ones. And maybe add a point system to give "magnitude" to some traits, where a sim can just be nice or be compassionate, in order to add some gradation to personality traits

For the sociological aspect, I know TS1 is supposed to be a satire of American culture and Maxis is based in California, but it would be nice if the societies in the game weren't Western-centric. Like there are some assumptions in the way our sims live that are rooted in Western culture. I want this to be more flexible, where certain places have their own norms and culture. And all worlds should both be inhabitable and work as a vacation spot. After all, real people live in the tropics and aren't just a backdrop to someone's vacation trip. And lots of people have been to America as tourists (like me).

My idea is that each save file is one entire planet. And on the broadest scale, you can terraform land masses. Then you can choose to place cities across the land masses. And then you can divide each city into neighborhoods up to 8 visible lots (plus rabbit holes), and each neighborhood is open, as a compromise. If a sim has to go to a rabbit hole that's not in the neighborhood, they'll just go off world.

I'd love it if each NPC role is a valid job for playable sims. Your sim works as a maid or bartender on the side? Why not? And careers and school should be rabbit holes, but you can visit your sim in order to finely control their day. And for storytelling purposes. This could come in a free update or DLC. And whenever you're out of the house, I'd love it if time would freeze at home like in TS2, because I don't like how uncontrolled sims in TS4 don't use their time efficiently.

This one is more of a stretch, but I'd love to see gradual aging and height sliders. Like when a sim ages, their body slowly morphs to resemble the next life stage so that the age transition is seamless. They'd have to come up with a complex animation system for this to work though. A guy can dream. Oh, and hair and cloth physics. The stiff hair and clothes look bizarre

Edit: Another thing is that wants should be categorized into long-term goals and whims. Long-terms goals shouldn't change much unless the player decides to give up on one, while whims are more like the ones in TS4 or low-value wants in TS2. These should also tie into a sim's personality

I indicated that Sims should react to things like The Weather or to pets in ways that fit their personalities.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    deeman190 wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

I indicated that Sims should react to things like The Weather or to pets in ways that fit their personalities.

Oh yeah, I guess I haven't touched on weather and pets because they tend to be EP features. I think if the base is solid, the rest will follow. And yeah, you're right: personalities should also tie into how sims react to weather and pets

I think cats and dogs are fine as they are. Horses should have better routing than the ones in TS3, because I often got routing problems with them.

For seasons, I think we should be able to set the year length and choose the order and length of seasons for each city. Maybe up to 8 seasonal changes per year?
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    If they bring back open worlds, or even compromise on having "open neighborhoods" or the like, I'd love for player-sims to not be dictated by "households" or have to live on the same lot.

Like maybe you can still only control up to 8 sims at a time, but between 1 and 8 you can control as many or as few as you'd like, and they can live anywhere on the map. So if I want to control two children who live next door to each other but no one else in either of their families, I could. Or if I want to control just one sim in a household for a challenge, I could. Or if I wanted to control 4 couples in 4 different houses, I could.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • BlueGentryBlueGentry Posts: 13 New Member
    From what I've read so far in the comments the culture packs, relationship meter, and color wheels are the ones that appeal to me most.

(1a) Culture Pack for Handicaps

- A culture pack includes handicapped people. As someone who spends life in a wheelchair, I would like a SIM in a chair. It's not fair to say the SIMS are not meant for that kind of realness, and then compare it to becoming a fairy. No one becomes a fairy. You aren't giving or taking away something from a real life experience. However, I cannot walk and that cannot be given back to me. I don't see this as something I need to pretend doesn't exist. I would like to incorporate it into gameplay.

- Adding a few wheelchair ramps and entrances for buildings, the ability to lower the height of counters and sink, specific beds and bathroom features, an elevator or stairlift added to build mode would cover a lot.

- As for other handicaps, they invented Simlish, they can develop a sign language counterpart. A seeing-eye dog should not be part of a pet pack as it is a tool for blind people that happens to be intuitive at the same time. Seeing eye dogs are not pets, they are working animals, so training them could be a job. So could home health care which could be used as a job for teens and young adults.

(1b) Culture Packs for Ethnic Groups

- Culture Packs would be great if they could include a Simlish in a different colored bubble to indicate talking in another language. I also come from a multicultural household. When my partner says something in Filipino, it took a while to catch up on it and now it's like a secret language we have between ourselves. I don't there should be hundreds of them, but if they had 10, that seems like a lot of interests could be covered. One for a SIMS version of Africa (Morocco, Kenya, and Egypt), South American (Mexico to Brazil), Polynesian Islands (Hawaii to Australia), Mainland China (Japan and Korean), India, East European (Turkey and USSR), Middle European (France and Germany), West European (Britain and Ireland), Mediterranean (Greece and Italy), and a Handicapped Pack.

- This would be especially fun if there were Vacation Packs to those countries: Safaris in Africa, Jungles in South America, Island Paradise for the Polynesian Islands, Business Trips and Festival Tourism for China, Skiing in East Europe, Exploring Greek Ruins, etc. That way, from a financial standpoint, you have a way to sell two of the cheaper packs as a bundle. If I want the Polynesian Island culture pack, I am likely to want the Island Paradise Vacation.

- Cultural Pack could be a bit confusing to have SIMS variation of religions in them, but they could be added as holidays and religious items could be books or symbols on walls. However, I would like to see a basic version of that. I have a lot of Jewish friends and attend a reformed synagogue. It has become part of my own household and that kind of blended experience seems like something that would be possible to break down into a SIMS world.

(2) Relationship meter

- A relationship meter would be FANTASTIC. My partner was raised in the south where the definition of just being an acquaintance is practically a legal definition.

(3) Color Wheels and Slider Bars

- Color wheel for skin tones (and hair color) is a must. It would be so much easier than finding something compatible online.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited September 2019
    I imagine Sims 5 being similar to Paralives. I believe EA/Maxis will look at how Paralives is being done and make TS5 similar. I'm hoping for cars,houseboats,pets,weather,restuarents and swimming in the ocean to be in the base game and seemless neighborhoods with no loading screens much like we're getting with Paralives. Also Paralives has some good build mode features eg we can extend single beds to queen and king and make bunk beds. Hoping for something similar in TS5.
  • veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    edited September 2019
    Many possibilities can be mentioned about gameplay but all I hope for is a better, more fluent, more free and versatile build mode.

-It's all about the annoying "sim tile", the squares. Like for example 1 tile wall doesn't always have to be a full 1 tile. I should be able to divide it in to 3 - 4 segments so you can build neat nooks and corners.

-Why do walls need to be placed either straight or diagonal? We need more angles. There are 360 degrees why stick to 90 and 45?

-Isn't it annoying how a 2 tile diagonal wall is wider than a 2 tile straight wall because of this square system? Simple geometry. This issue should be solved.

(I think they need to work with some people who create real life architecture softwares like autocad, revit, sketchup etc. for improving the game's build mode.)

-Placing doors, windows should employ the same logic so that I can center a 2 tile door on a 3 tile wall. Or place it a little left or right. Also why can't we place 2 windows on 1 wall? It should perfectly be possible to place several tiny windows on top of each other to cover the whole height of the wall. Because why not?

-Being able to build different wall and foundation heights attached to each other on the same floor. The "room" concept of TS4 becomes more important for that. Each room on the same floor level should be able to be adjusted individually in terms of wall and foundation heights.

-Same with stairs. Most of the time a 1 tile wide staircase looks too narrow and a 2 tile staircase looks too wide. I want to be able to adjust a width in between. Sim squares again! Divide them!

-Needless to say the new stairs update has some room for improvement. It's not perfect. I can't even make a simple decent T shaped staircase. And we still need proper spiral staircases.

-Curved walls. Enough said.

-Roofs. We need a better roof system it's still a struggle especially when trying to combine straight and diagonal roof pieces together. It always looks terrible.

-Create a style MUST return back. I'm sick of all those inconsistent swatches.

-Open world MUST return back. I'm sick of loading screens and fake neighborhood views.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    veronica55 wrote: »
    Many possibilities can be mentioned about gameplay but all I hope for is a better, more fluent, more free and versatile build mode.

-It's all about the annoying "sim tile", the squares. Like for example 1 tile wall doesn't always have to be a full 1 tile. I should be able to divide it in to 3 - 4 segments so you can build neat nooks and corners.

-Why do walls need to be placed either straight or diagonal? We need more angles. There are 360 degrees why stick to 90 and 45?

-Isn't it annoying how a 2 tile diagonal wall is wider than a 2 tile straight wall because of this square system? Simple geometry. This issue should be solved.

(I think they need to work with some people who create real life architecture softwares like autocad, revit, sketchup etc. for improving the game's build mode.)

-Placing doors, windows should employ the same logic so that I can center a 2 tile door on a 3 tile wall. Or place it a little left or right. Also why can't we place 2 windows on 1 wall? It should perfectly be possible to place several tiny windows on top of each other to cover the whole height of the wall. Because why not?

-Being able to build different wall and foundation heights attached to each other on the same floor. The "room" concept of TS4 becomes more important for that. Each room on the same floor level should be able to be adjusted individually in terms of wall and foundation heights.

-Same with stairs. Most of the time a 1 tile wide staircase looks too narrow and a 2 tile staircase looks too wide. I want to be able to adjust a width in between. Sim squares again! Divide them!

-Needless to say the new stairs update has some room for improvement. It's not perfect. I can't even make a simple decent T shaped staircase. And we still need proper spiral staircases.

-Curved walls. Enough said.

-Roofs. We need a better roof system it's still a struggle especially when trying to combine straight and diagonal roof pieces together. It always looks terrible.

-Create a style MUST return back. I'm sick of all those inconsistent swatches.

-Open world MUST return back. I'm sick of loading screens and fake neighborhood views.

Speaking of roofs auto roofs from TS3 are missing in action. I hope those make it to TS5.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    In a nutshell, a better sims 3.
  • SilmistySilmisty Posts: 9 New Member
    Looking a lot on Flickr (web site for photos), I've seen lots of high resolution screengrabs from a game called Second Life. I've not played it, but the sprites are some of the most detailed I've seen for a PC game judging by the stills. It remains 'cartoony', with huge amounts of detail in face complexions and there seems to be a lot of custom content.

If the Sims 5 gets given a graphics update, then I would love to see toons like that.

I would also love to hear some more Latin music, similar style Latin from the original Sims 1, but maintaining other styles of music as well. Perhaps a refresh on some of the electronic dance styles as well.
  • CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    Grid free and extremely customizable.
    6qrDi11.png
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    What I want is for the game going back to the Sims being the star of the game.

Memories deep personalities wants fear likes dislikes(including other Sims) turn on and turn offs and traits that let you know without question they're there. I want to see traits that might slightly be over exaggerated but for a game like this its needed to stand out and reusing animations for completely different interactions and behaviors not be a thing.

For traits I'd like to see them work like this...

Slob trait: These Sims will trash their house unmade beds, dirty counters, trash cans full or even overflowing, flushing toilets why bother the glowing green color is cool, roaches flies other pest no worries... Hygiene is no issue for this Sim now the Sims around them different story.
    Shy trait: Wont just jump into any conversation, takes much longer to make friends, is eye contact a thing not for this Sim.

All current life stages + preteens and babies not locked to a bassinet

Heights for teens short, average and for ya-elder short, average and tall

Cars carpools and school busses brought back drive around the world Sims 3 style but fully animated like Sims 2.

CAW fully customize your worlds no more small closed worlds

CAS much like Sims 4 but with color wheel for hair eyes and all clothing with full customization such as tattoos can be placed anywhere beards and stubble separated so they can be layered no more goatee with a baby face and body hair.

The return of multi use community lots
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd like it to happen a bit later and I'd like to be able to port my sims. I think the best thing would be more of a transition and less of a hard break in the series. To be fair, I felt that way in each of the previous versions. I was always a straggler including from TS3 to TS4.

I'll say that if it's an online social thing, it really probably won't be for me. I really avoid games like those. I'm very social IRL, I just don't want something like WOW or Second Life for myself. I also like that The Sims series is avoiding micro-transactions. Sure there's a lot of bonus content but it's all optional and gets released gradually. It's not required in any way like in other games. There are some games I don't play because of that.

A game where people are hoarding alternative currency and ... doing literally whatever in a virtual world, isn't really my thing. TS4 is a little bit cartoonish but I don't want a total swing in the other direction in an online world. At least, I wouldn't go there. Lol.

I have no idea what I'll be in the mood for in a few years but I'll hope that we can port our sims in if its something I want to play.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that some of what is being requested can be incorporated before that.

For myself, I now want innovative new gameplay and to build on what is already in the game. I want some fresh new animations and more customization in more aspects of the game. They've done some of that with some recent ideas, they just need to also keep up with the bugs.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I imagine The Sims 5 as being the last iteration to the game, with elements from each game that made it great. For example:

The Sims 1: Advancement (How advanced the game will be for it's time.)
    The Sims 2: Gameplay (Deep gameplay, with lots of little details.)
    The Sims 3: Quality (How well developed the game is.)
    The Sims 4: Graphics, Lack of Lag (The Sims 4 supposedly does these two things best.)

I have never played The Sims 3 or any previous iterations, the above (excluding The Sims 4) is only from what I've heard from other players.
    CAS: CAS should have a push-pull element like The Sims 4, and Create-A-Style like The Sims 3. There should be separate jackets from coats, and several pre-made outfits for people who aren't good at CAS to choose from.

BB: BB should again be like The Sims 4, with push and pull elements and being able to grab full rooms and move them. Create-A-Style should again make a return, and colorable ceilings would certainly be welcome.

Gameplay: Gameplay should be a mix of all the above games, with only the best parts of each of it. As I expect this to be the last iteration of the game, at least 1 thing that would have normally been an Expansion Pack should be included for free. If given a choice, I'd choose Seasons, Cats and Dogs, or University. Improved babies from all other iterations.

DLC: The Sims 5 should have minimal DLC with most of it's content coming in free patches, or optional free packs (such as the Holiday Celebration Pack for The Sims 4). A few DLC we have to pay for is acceptable, but let's not get to thirty packs, deal?

Worlds: The Sims 5 should not have open world (would create too much lag, I believe), but not a totally closed one. Each neighborhood (or apartment building or something similar) should not have a loading screen between the lots included in it.
    funny-gifs20.gif