Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play the sims with volume off? Or listen to shows, podcasts or music while playing?

Comments

• Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    edited June 2019
    I keep all sounds on except music at times. One those occasions, I open Spotify and use a playlist that fits the type of game. For instance, I am currently playing a medieval town so I have a Renaissance playlist as well as a Game of Thrones playlist. I have the Spotify volume low enough that it does not interfere with my game sounds, yet high enough that it really adds to the atmosphere.
  • Options
    ellisellis Posts: 16 Member
    I turn volume low and listen to or watch something else
    I usually shut of the music and sound effects in the game and play my own music in the background
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I keep volume on and i dont listen to or watch other things
    Lol, if I decide to play the Sims, I want to concentrate on the game only. Why should I look / hear / do something else? For me unimaginable.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Busufu wrote: »
    Lol, if I decide to play the Sims, I want to concentrate on the game only. Why should I look / hear / do something else? For me unimaginable.

Thankfully, we live in a world with all different types of people . Who like different things. I don't like just listening to the game by itself. Not enough to keep my attention, but my audio stories and true crime podcasts keep me engaged and having fun while playing the game.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    I mean, our computer is next to the TV, which is usually playing Netflix or something in the background.
    I don't have anything else making noise in the background on my computer itself though, I like listening to the Simlish or the music/sound coming from the Sims' TVs or stereos and other sources.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Busufu wrote: »

Thankfully, we live in a world with all different types of people . Who like different things. I don't like just listening to the game by itself. Not enough to keep my attention, but my audio stories and true crime podcasts keep me engaged and having fun while playing the game.

Right. That wasn't meant to be offensive.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Monday wrote: »
    I find the sound design in the game to be absolutely superb, and I love listening to the game. It's a part of the experience for me, and I can't imagine turning the sound off and denying myself that extra layer. It really brings the world to life. I love just sitting back and listening, a lot of the times.

I really can't sing enough praise for the sound design. From the music, to the leveling of skills like instruments and singing, to the sound effects of literally everything big and small.

I generally turn the loading screen and build-buy music off, but I can't imagine not listening to the game. I love the toddler voices, and even the little noises babies make. And some things, like a broken object, are brought to the player's attention with a specific sound. There are also some wonderful atmospheric sounds - birds chirping and so forth. The thunder is rather spectacular.

I don't like background noise, anyway - I never have music or the television on unless I'm actively listening to the music or watching.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    I always play with my game sound on - but I also have a tv on - the tv I have set to play various programs I tend to listen to - sometimes watch a few shows when Sims are skilling or doing a list of things I want them to attend to that I don't have to control - like training Pets - helping toddlers - going to spas etc. My sims are pretty good at not cancelling their commands so it works for me. I can follow award shows or Science shows - History shows I like or Supernatural and a few other shows I've been watching for years. LOl.

I do shut off my computer everyday - but my tv is never off. I have tinnitis for one thing and the tv provides white noise that blocks out a constant noise I hear if it is turned on. I am so use to both being on - it is always the way it goes here.

I never seem to do just one thing at a time - not in years anyway. Multitasking is my thing I guess.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I really like alot of the ingame musicstations, so my households usually always have the stereo on (on high), I only turn the backround music off because it tends to overlap plus it annoys me in buildmode.
    While I am not watching or listening to anything else while playing the sims, I always got my laptop beside me and mostly am on one of my forums (including this) or to research possible new builds, names, songtitels etc. to use ingame.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    edited June 2019
    I don't know how people play with the sound off!!

ETA: Sometimes I watch something else too but it's minor. That's usually if someone else is actually playing a video that I have a bit of interest in. I might pause the game more in that case. I used to watch YouTube news, too, but that hasn't worked for me lately.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    My voices and SFX are on but really low. I have Spotify open or a YouTube video playing picture-in-picture in the corner. And my gameplay soundtrack is heavy metal or podcasts...gotta help out a new one so check out Extremities every Wednesday. It's a scripted podcast currently focusing on Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific. True isolation is actual Island Living (tm)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    When I open the game, I focus only on the game. I can’t multitask.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I Imported all of my iTunes into the custom music folders. But sometimes I have YouTube or Netflix in the background. But in game music is off and emotional stings are off. It’s just Sims voices and are and music players I listen to.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    I keep the volume on and usually have a sims video quietly playing in the background
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    Clementine_TeaClementine_Tea Posts: 20 Member
    I turn volume off and listen to or watch something else
    I usually like to watch a show or listen to music whenever I'm building something, or, occasionally, when I'm making a household. However, when I'm playing in live mode, I prefer to listen to the game audio.
    tumblr_n43w4pCOm11sf2cljo1_400.jpg
  • Options
    CogshellCogshell Posts: 164 Member
    While I'm playing my game I have to watch something. I usually switch between whatever I'm watching on Netflix or sims let's play. At the moment it's James Turner's SEMAJ Get Famous let's play.
    ZnG1wMG.png
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Both 2 and 3. Just depends.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    RainbowIslandRainbowIsland Posts: 20 Member
    it's always on and quite loud, much to the annoyance (and sometimes amusement) of my husband
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    About 95% of the time the volume is off and I either have my music playing or the tv is on. Sometimes the volume is on when something interesting is happening, but its mostly off.
  • Options
    artistichippie2009artistichippie2009 Posts: 115 Member
    It really deppends for me. Ideally I'd like to have the volume on, but due to having children I normally have the tv on for them at times, and that combined with sims 4 noises have a tendancy to drive my husband nuts. And I hate headphones. So many times my voulme is off
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    When I'm playing, I like to concentrate and listen to it. The only time that I turn the sound down is the times it gets on my nerves when I'm in CAS, build, or buy.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    I normally watch a show or listen to music. I keep the sims sound low but on so I can intervene if a fire breaks out or something else goes on. I’m almost always doing 2 things at once.
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Volume off and most times Im streaming my fav twitch streamer HollieBB, if not switch then im watching various sims 4 youtubers
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    reading some of these posts I decided to try and play with the volume on to see what I was missing. then I remembered that I'm playing the 100 baby challenge and the reason why I turn it off is because all I can ever hear is screaming babies
  • Options
    TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    I have the music disabled and usually play with the in-game sounds on low while I listen to podcasts or audio books. But sometimes I prefer to just listen to the game, it depends on what my sims are doing and which world I'm playing in.