Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play the sims with volume off? Or listen to shows, podcasts or music while playing?

I was really surprised the first time i learned that some players like to have volume off while playing sims. But now I like to listen to other stuff while I play the game. I dont usually turn the sound off completely unless Im in build mode or CAS.

But, I do like to turn the volume really low and listen to some true crime or horror fiction while i play.
"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."

Do you play the sims with volume off? Or listen to shows, podcasts or music while playing? 174 votes

I turn volume off and listen to or watch something else
17%
SimburianBagoas77drake_mccartysekojranaduhboy2u2MoonfoxNightcryLemon405mariajane216ParmaViolet87AngelEb95Emo-usagi2187Internal_ChaosSo_MoneyjooxisthecellabrationLSM36dogboy678Steve StormThePinkBookGirlVivi_WillowTree 31 votes
I turn volume low and listen to or watch something else
33%
KamioWritin_RegIsb917StrangerthanWyrrenLyvedaLazbreathSxcDannii202zagboorulesLadyTigressphantasmkissstephanie132392BekahSueBlueSeaWavesInfraGreenLissyK9sunspriterSelinaKylesrambahadoerNinja-Dan22 58 votes
I keep volume on and i dont listen to or watch other things
48%
Akl500PNh6650LaBlue0314storyyMysticneptune28Colorist40MjstsmPPlayerSinger2010SleepycatDSLmcruddbabajayneSimQueenie9invisiblgirlsimgirl1010cchant86SimpkinJestTruluthienrisingNivyxloubyloulou 85 votes

Comments

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I always have sound on in live mode. But I almost always have music muted in build/CAS and then listen to music of my own choosing. Only exception is when we have a new EP or GP then I usually have the game music on for a couple of days to hear the new tracks.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Volume off, music on. I could never concentrate enough to listen to a podcast.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Personally, as a fan of the macabre , I love listening to true crime podcasts or horror fiction podcasts while i play. Love, love , love it.

"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    I like to keep the volume on and hear my sims. Sometimes I find myself singing the karaoke songs without realizing I'm doing it. :D
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    I play with headphones, and usually have one off to watch tv/ listen for my kids. I like it because with the headphones turned up I can still hear all the audio details that I love in the game.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    It's hard for me to concentrate on Sims and shows at the same time, so I only listen to music during the multitude of loading screens.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited June 2019
    For me, the sound and music in the game is half the experience, so I keep it on always. The only times I ever turn the music off is when a glitch that makes the load screen score keep playing non stop occurs. xD Hasn't happened in a good while, thankfully.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Sometimes I watch YouTube playlists while I play because I have a short attention span.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Whenever I play, Impractical Jokers or Ridiculousness is on, or sometimes just the news 🙂 I get to bored if I don’t have something to distract me
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Low to medium volume simming while listening to my fav playlists and writing (usually stories starring my Sims), I thrive on the chaos 😄
  • SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    I always keep the volume on but usually watch something on my phone at the same time. I am currently watching James play The Sims 2 and I’m really enjoying it. :)
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I keep volume on, but I do sometimes watch videos, Netflix, or something of that sort while I play. (Same volume with or without)

But only stuff I'm not worried about missing things on, cause the game is always my main focus.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited June 2019
    This was the closest answer for me but not quite the same. I turn the volume off but I don't listen to anything else either, I just play in silence
    Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    If I build (which is rare) I play music in the background but otherwise I’m listening to the game. I enjoy the listening to the in game sounds and find them soothing.
  • RagnvaldRagnvald Posts: 45 Member
    Don't exactly turn the volume low but I do always have either netflix/youtube/twitch going on the second monitor.
    "When i became a man i put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" - C.S. Lewis
  • PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 73 Member
    I like to listen to the sounds the game produces. My favorite sound: washing machine and dryer. I also like to hear my sims laugh. Occassionally when in the acting career and my Actor is rehearsing… I turn the sound lower because it is always the same words… that's annoying...
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I actually enjoy the Simlish tunes on the in-game radio, and I choose my Sims' vocal tones and timbres intentionally. I listen to the game, when I play the game. If something is repetitive or annoying, like Phil, above, I either reduce the volume or move my focus elsewhere.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I couldn’t only pay attention to one thing; I need background noise. I usually watch TV so I have something to watch and listen to.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I find the sound design in the game to be absolutely superb, and I love listening to the game. It's a part of the experience for me, and I can't imagine turning the sound off and denying myself that extra layer. It really brings the world to life. I love just sitting back and listening, a lot of the times.

I really can't sing enough praise for the sound design. From the music, to the leveling of skills like instruments and singing, to the sound effects of literally everything big and small.
    a63ftuN.png
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    There wasn't really a poll option but I listen to my own music while I build, but tend to listen to the game sounds in live mode.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I often listen to various podcasts while playing video games.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I do enjoy listening to the music and sound effects of the game. Although on one occasion I was playing sims 3 while listening to music from sims 2. S2 has a good soundtrack!
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited June 2019
    how is it even possible to play when you can't hear things!?

Also I don't watch TV ever and I never run the internet at the same time as I play cause I don't wanna kill my laptop.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    how is it even possible to play when you can't hear things!?

Also I don't watch TV ever and I never run the internet at the same time as I play cause I don't wanna kill my laptop.

Very simple -- I can hear the game. The number of audio queues for Sims games in particular is very small. I'm not playing a multiplayer shooter, a fighting game or a raid in an MMO where I need to listen for said queues as they come in rapid succession. The Sims games are a slow, more meditative experience, and one that meshes nicely with listening to NPR or Critical Role.
  • LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    I have music running while I play