Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 should be it’s own “console”.....

Comments

• KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    That just sounds like a universal DVD that you can put inside your computer/console to play Sims 5. Doesn't make much sense to me.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I wouldn't really want another big device just to play one game lol
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Ooh no, I remember when I bout sims 3 on the console and talk about a broken mess! Way worse than pc version. Console version usually doesn't have everything the pc does, the only consoled sims I liked I was bust in out.
    giphy.gif

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Uh, no. PC gaming is what has kept this series alive for twenty years. If they limited themselves to a stand alone console which would also have limited gameplay outside of the sand box gameplay I don't see many core fans of the pc series buying it. Yes, they can get new players who like those gaming handheld consoles but they lose the core base.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Uh, no. PC gaming is what has kept this series alive for twenty years. If they limited themselves to a stand alone console which would also have limited gameplay outside of the sand box gameplay I don't see many core fans of the pc series buying it. Yes, they can get new players who like those gaming handheld consoles but they lose the core base.

I’m exclusively a PC gamer myself but the thing is... PC gaming isn’t exactly the future of gaming, and not everyone has a gaming computer. Give it another 20 years and in 2040 you really still want to be playing on your PC? Why not talk about innovation and hope for something huge and groundbreaking because at some point, the franchise can either evolve or end all together.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited June 2019
    isaiahzay wrote: »

I’m exclusively a PC gamer myself but the thing is... PC gaming isn’t exactly the future of gaming, and not everyone has a gaming computer. Give it another 20 years and in 2040 you really still want to be playing on your PC? Why not talk about innovation and hope for something huge and groundbreaking because at some point, the franchise can either evolve or end all together.

Currently PC gaming is more powerful than consoles at the moment, it kind of is the future. Not everyone may not have a gaming computer but everyone sure wants one like everyone wants that luxurious car that they couldn't afford.

It would be pointless to create seperate consoles for seperate games, it would infact be a waste of hardware especially in this day and age we have to be environmentally friendly. Plus what if the console breaks? Have to purchase a new one just to play one game?

It is more like a downgrade back to game arcade.

Finbar659 wrote: »
    Currently PC gaming is more powerful than consoles at the moment, it kind of is the future. Not everyone may not have a gaming computer but everyone sure wants one like everyone wants that luxurious car that they couldn't afford.

It would be pointless to create seperate consoles for seperate games, it would infact be a waste of hardware especially in this day and age we have to be environmentally friendly. Plus what if the console breaks? Have to purchase a new one just to play one game?

Great points, totally valid. It would probably be pointless to create a console for just one game.

Luckily though this franchise is based on expansion... so if you can imagine what I was going for here- a huge basegame life simulator to a scale we’ve never seen before, and other optional games available for purchase all made through EA.

Run EA sports games on this platform and control the players on and off the field. Buy a first person shooter game but, being part of a sims game, design your characters and locations however you’d like. Wouldn’t you like to create a whole world? Different time eras? Choose from different genre games to play all somewhat connected together? Something huge? And an individual console would at least be a commitment by developers to create games worth their own console. (Yeah I’m dreaming but still... I’m not content with just accepting a vanilla game)

Again... it’s just an idea on how we could see the franchise be bigger than just one line of games being rehashed every 5 years. But I get it, many players are content playing pretty much the same game every iteration with a few small improvements each time. I just want something bigger and better if I’m investing time and money into a series.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member

The strong point of a PC is versatility - you can use it for work, education (whether as a student or just looking up interesting facts), storing your stuff (such as photos/videos), watching movies, playing games, and more. Plus, they have more power and better serviceability (replacing just one broken piece of HW is well possible on a desktop PC - not so much on a laptop/console). Consoles are not as versatile and (at least in my opinion) have very limited controls due to lack of mouse and keyboard.
    Unless PCs lose this versatility or we get to the point of direct brain augmentation that you'll just play games virtually in your brain, PC gaming will never die because you can have an all-in-one device.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.

The strong point of a PC is versatility - you can use it for work, education (whether as a student or just looking up interesting facts), storing your stuff (such as photos/videos), watching movies, playing games, and more. Plus, they have more power and better serviceability (replacing just one broken piece of HW is well possible on a desktop PC - not so much on a laptop/console). Consoles are not as versatile and (at least in my opinion) have very limited controls due to lack of mouse and keyboard.
    Unless PCs lose this versatility or we get to the point of direct brain augmentation that you'll just play games virtually in your brain, PC gaming will never die because you can have an all-in-one device.

Yes... a computer does do all that. And? So use a computer for all those things and make them more practical by separating the components that are otherwise only spent on high performance gaming. And simply because PCs can handle a high processing game, doesn’t mean that the next game in the sims series would make full use of a gaming computer: the developers still have to cater to the whole market, and most people don’t have computers that allow for the highest settings and performance. So a more versatile yet specified game platform seems like something worth exploring.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Lol I don’t think people understand the concept of the original post.. I’m imagining an Apple TV style device (it’s really small, like a slightly chunky phone), comes with a usb so you literally hook it up to whatever. Your tv, your pc monitor, your Mac etc. You can still be sat at your desk as if it were your computer running the game, you wanna play with a mouse, and keyboard, you go gurl. Or set it up where ever. The beauty is it’s portable too so play it all around your own home if you want. Just like Apple TV.

And everyone saying how it’s not necessary as PC is already soOoOoo powerful. Erm then what’s with all the performance issues? Are we forgetting each sims game has performance issues, yet they were all designed for PC! Yeah some Gaming PCs are good, but I think we’ve already established the majority of people play it on their standard PCs out of convenience, ie everyone has a standard PC/ laptop.

That would be the whole point of this device, it is built with the specs it would need to run perfectly. Zero issues.

I think it’s an interesting concept, a device that stores a fully optimised sim world. Potential could be crazy and clearly the Sims audience if any, is willingly to invest a lot of $$$ into their game, however given EAs track record of seemingly investing as little as possible in its products, it’s unlikely to ever happen.
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Lol I don’t think people understand the concept of the original post.. I’m imagining an Apple TV style device (it’s really small, like a slightly chunky phone), comes with a usb so you literally hook it up to whatever. Your tv, your pc monitor, your Mac etc. You can still be sat at your desk as if it were your computer running the game, you wanna play with a mouse, and keyboard, you go gurl. Or set it up where ever. The beauty is it’s portable too so play it all around your own home if you want. Just like Apple TV.

And everyone saying how it’s not necessary as PC is already soOoOoo powerful. Erm then what’s with all the performance issues? Are we forgetting each sims game has performance issues, yet they were all designed for PC! Yeah some Gaming PCs are good, but I think we’ve already established the majority of people play it on their standard PCs out of convenience, ie everyone has a standard PC/ laptop.

That would be the whole point of this device, it is built with the specs it would need to run perfectly. Zero issues.

I think it’s an interesting concept, a device that stores a fully optimised sim world. Potential could be crazy and clearly the Sims audience if any, is willingly to invest a lot of $$$ into their game, however given EAs track record of seemingly investing as little as possible in its products, it’s unlikely to ever happen.

Thank you for getting it! And yes an Apple TV/Roku size was exactly what I was picturing, that runs efficiently at the highest settings and can be played pretty much anywhere, on a TV or a computer if that’s your jam!

And you’re very right, it is absolutely unlikely to ever happen but a man can dream, right? :D
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »

Great points, totally valid. It would probably be pointless to create a console for just one game.

Luckily though this franchise is based on expansion... so if you can imagine what I was going for here- a huge basegame life simulator to a scale we’ve never seen before, and other optional games available for purchase all made through EA.

Run EA sports games on this platform and control the players on and off the field. Buy a first person shooter game but, being part of a sims game, design your characters and locations however you’d like. Wouldn’t you like to create a whole world? Different time eras? Choose from different genre games to play all somewhat connected together? Something huge? And an individual console would at least be a commitment by developers to create games worth their own console. (Yeah I’m dreaming but still... I’m not content with just accepting a vanilla game)

Again... it’s just an idea on how we could see the franchise be bigger than just one line of games being rehashed every 5 years. But I get it, many players are content playing pretty much the same game every iteration with a few small improvements each time. I just want something bigger and better if I’m investing time and money into a series.

I see what you're saying, but a gaming computer is still better because you can upgrade a gaming computer and parts for it would be easy to get at a good price. The console you speak of would have proprietary parts and would cost more because of that. Moreover, a gaming computer can handle everything you're talking about.

I like your idea. I do play other games in the action and RPG genres. After each mission which is often exhilarating but exhausting, I often wished my characters can use the money they make from their battles to build a nice house somewhere, and decorate it with lovely furniture and other items. Then my character can go home and relax, fill up their needs, and hang out with their family and other town residents. So I think it would be great if EA did that - a sims version of an action game, RPG, sports game, adventure game, strategy (pizza connection or restaurant tycoon full game version; hotel building; detailed and well made retail mechanics), etc. for TS5 or later (probably later as this is an ambitious idea). They should be full priced packs that can also be played by themselves, but can also be installed as part of The Sims.

No console though. That's to restrictive like TS4. Freedom of choice is much better. Let the simmer buy a gaming computer of their choosing which they can dedicate to this game and let them upgrade the parts as needed.

If this is done well with thoughtful design that works and full creative ability for the simmer - NO corner cutting, NO low quality junk* - this could make even more money for EA.

* I can't emphasize enough how important it is for the quality of this game and quantity of well made content. The new leadership thought they can just skate on the EA name, that people will be too stupid to notice poor quality and corner cutting. If they didn't learn from the poor quality of TS4 and Anthem, then they have only themselves to blame for destroying the good name of EA and losing money.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member

Yes... a computer does do all that. And? So use a computer for all those things and make them more practical by separating the components that are otherwise only spent on high performance gaming. And simply because PCs can handle a high processing game, doesn’t mean that the next game in the sims series would make full use of a gaming computer: the developers still have to cater to the whole market, and most people don’t have computers that allow for the highest settings and performance. So a more versatile yet specified game platform seems like something worth exploring.

Why having two (or more) devices when I can have everything in a single PC? And I am not saying they should tune the game for the best HW available. I've replaced my previous PC after 7 years of service, during which I replaced the HDD, GPU, and PSU as they gave up. If not for a friend's friend offering me a high-end used PC for the price of mid-tier new machine, I'd still well use that old PC without much issues (and it'd run TS4 relatively well).

Not to mention that PC games have one massive advantage in the modding community (and I don't mean just Sims series for that matter).
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I really can't stand gaming on PC, personally... BUT I feel like that's the platform that is best for The Sims or any competitor that may hopefully come out in the future. The reason I say this is modding and custom content. I feel like those are both essential to the The Sims, IMO.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't really think that would work for TS5 because it would be new game with new possibilities
    and they would keep wanting to add stuff to it over the years rather than make a completed game
    + considering I really don't want to abandon modding for new games that would just be sad

I do think sims console would be freaking cute though
    for something like

TS1 Collectors Edition
    or
    TS2 Collectors Edition

(because these 2 have already become sort of mismatch with new computers
    and are hard to find to even buy for new players of sims)

or maybe older sims console games (ts1, ts2, castaway, urbz..)
    could have their own mini console with all of them in it

the point really is if they were to make console i think it would be more profitable to make it for a game that already exists
    and make people buy it for nostalgia or new people buying it because that is the easiest way to play those old games

and tbh I'd gladly walk into that marketing ploy

also what comes to keyboard and mouse they could clearly just make those the controller
    rather than console controller that is not really the big problem
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • BlueGentryBlueGentry Posts: 13 New Member
    I could see the SIMS having its own console if it meant multiplayer mode. I don't know how many players could play at the same time or if that would limit the ability to change characters during play. However, since multiplayer is something that comes up eventually in almost any discussion about the future of SIMS, that would be a good selling point for a console as the only way to get it.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 783 Member
    Terrible idea! Think of how much money EA will lose if they made Sims 5 its own gaming console..doing that woild mostl likely drive loyal fans and future Simmers AWAY from Sims. Just think of how horribly expensive it would be if Sims 5 was its own console. I imagine that would destroy peoples' bank accounts.

Keep The Sims on PC and consoles. PC gaming is STILL popular and no one's gonna stop playing on the PC anytime soon.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited September 2019
    What I want, really, really want is a lightweight small computer (maybe smartphone size? that I can carry everywhere with a small screen and keyboard that I could enlarge to whatever size I want so I could play my games everywhere. It could download via 5G or whatever will be available in the future.

All this before I have to buy a console where I have to stick a game module into a slot again. (I remember the Atari......etc.)

(After my nearly 40 years of computer use (Oracle onwards) I envisage anything as possible) :)
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I am only interested in playing games on my PC. That is it.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    This makes me think of how Amazon sells Kindle e-readers really cheap because they expect to make their money through selling content (downloadable books). I think this could work if EA sold the devices at a very affordable price and made their money through all the downloadable packs and content.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    It should be it’s own console.

Rather than relying on hardware from computers or game systems, wouldnt it be amazing if it was its own small console, with the hardware designed around one massive game, that can connect to computers or TVs? (Yes... connect to both... as in play connected to a PC, a Mac, or right to a tv depending on your preference. Plugin a mouse + keyboard to play just like you always would with sims games. Think of it like a very specific external hard drive... and no! Not a console like Xbox or PS... use some imagination here for plum sake!)

I’m picturing something small, almost portable, that can process a massive base game and can also download expansions as they come out.

Yes, if something like that is possible it would be expensive... but wouldn’t a high functioning, detailed, and complex game be worth it?

If the hardware is designed around the software I figure the game could be really intensely intricate: open worlds, advanced AI, powerful customization, almost limitless expansion, even optional VR and online aspects?

I’m just saying, I hope we see something like this. A huge new version of the game that would be expanded on for several years without being weighed down by any outdated engine.

The possibilities of it could potentially mean; gameplay that is very realistic but also larger than life, an entire simulated planet to explore with different environments and cultures, even time progression where the world changes and you could play in different time eras (pre-history, dark ages, renaissance, victorian era, the roaring 20s, the 60’s, modern day, futuristic time eras, etc.) Just think of the possible expansions, we could even see optional additions that would let you actively control sims as you would in other genre games like racing, first person shooters, EA sports games, etc. bringing it beyond a life simulator.

Hmm...

source.gif

(Though I'd MUCH prefer all of that to be available on a PC. :star: )
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I really don't want to buy a console just to play one game.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

You don't need a 'gaming' computer. I've never had a 'gaming' computer, but for each edition of the franchise, I have invested in an inexpensive, but quality PC, built specifically to handle the newest version of the sims. The exception being for TS4. My current PC was not built for gaming, it's a hand-me-down that was built for photo editing.

In 2040, yes, I still want a PC version. I don't want to waste my money on another device that I have no other purpose for. I have never been into console gaming. I use my PC for communication, for work, for watching tv and movies, for research, for more work, for playing the occasional game, for writing.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I'm not a console user. I love my PC for games.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    edited September 2019
    So you're suggesting an exclusive device to exclusively play one game on? And won't that device become obsolete over time? Noone upgrades a console but people often upgrade individual parts on their PCs, like RAM, a new video card, etc. Consoles are useful for setting a hardware standard/requirement for all games to be optimized for. It wouldn't make sense to invest in hardware that only plays one game 🤔

Otherwise, I don't believe that the problem with TS4 for example is that PCs or consoles are too limited. The problem is they don't have enough budget/time to make the game better or more detailed or more meaningful. Nothing to do with limited technology. You can see alot of games these days doing much more than TS4 in content and effort and scale.

Sorry, I don't think your idea is very good either.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti