Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What made you start playing the Sims?

Just curious to see what attracted my fellow simmers to the game. I started playing on the pc before the ps4 version came out. I didn't know the game existed until my friend told me about it. She gave me all her base game cd and all her expansions. I thought I'd give it a try. Best decision ever.

Comments

• Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Started playing The Sims 2 - went to the game shop and saw on the box "You born, you die" which I thought that sounds interesting!
    Then thats how i follow the series
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I read an article online in the fall of 2014, it was about Sims 4 bring banned due to the gay content. Eventually, I bought a disc online and tried it, been an active simmer ever since. I'd never played any of the earlier versions before, so it was totally new to me.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    In 2000, my brother had The Sims for our Windows, like, 98 computer. He's older than me, so naturally I wanted to copy everything he did. He FINALLY let me play it and I've been hooked ever since.

I had almost every EP for TS1, and when TS2 came out... I can't even explain to you my level of excitement lol. Had every EP and *almost* every SP for that one. TS3 was a bit harder and my friend and I shared each others codes to complete our collections, along with ripping content from torrent websites because we couldn't afford all the DLC. And now we're here with TS4 and I have everything released for it thus far :)
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Started playing in 2000 when I found a game bundle of The Sims in a bin. Been hooked ever since.
  • Options
    Sims_4_ever_Sims_4_ever_ Posts: 143 Member
    I was soo lucky that my friend gave me ALL her cd's. I know I had Nightlife, High End Loft, Cats and Dogs, Vampires, University, Sims 2, and Sims 3...not sure what else I had. I was so obsessed with getting famous, living in apartments and being a vampire I don't think I ever got around to playing any of the other packs I had...
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I've always been a sucker for "different" games. As a teen and young adult, I enjoyed FPS games and point'n'click adventure games (don't get me wrong, I still enjoy them), but then some time in '99 I heard about this upcoming game about controlling "people" in houses, doing everyday tasks, and got intrigued. Eventually forgot about it until I saw it on a shelf in my local video game store (That's right, kids. You actually went to stores to buy games back then), and grabbed it with no hesitation whatsoever. As soon as I popped the game in and launched it, I was hooked.
  • Options
    BigCatlover26BigCatlover26 Posts: 215 Member
    I always liked playing family simulators so one day while I was supposed to be looking for a DS game I ventured to the pc games and saw the Sims 2 case cover and fell in love. It was everything I wanted in a family simulator and I’ve been hook ever since(I was 9). I remember it said T and my mom was very weary about it until the guy at cash register convinced her it wasn’t that mature. So thank you random dude at the cash register 💜💙
  • Options
    xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    edited June 2019
    In like 2012 (can’t remember what month) I was over at a friend’s house and she let me play on her laptop which had Sims 3 on it. I was absolutely hooked and I begged my mum for WEEKS until she finally caved in and bought me the game.
    Still love it, even after 7 years. :’)
    Post edited by xstxrrysequence on
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I first got Sims 1 back in the day when it came out. Unfortunately my computer at the time couldn't play it without a lot of lag so I gave up on it.

That was it until like 2013 when someone I was following on tumblr who was posting the adventures of her Sailormoon sims in the Sims 3. It was such a riot that I got a bundle of the Base Game and Showtime on Steam and just never looked back since. I switched over to Sims 4 after it had been out for a little while after I just couldn't handle my Sims 3 game freezing on me all the time. I still play Sims 3 from time to time and hope to play it more when I get a computer that can actually handle playing it.

I've since pieced together a used copy version of Sims 2 (all of the EPs and most of the Stuff packs) and play that one too.

I've attempted to play the Sims 1 again after I found the BG and a few of the EPs (Including Making Magic) at HalfPrice Books but I can't get it to run on my current computer. Holding onto it in hopes that when I get my new computer I might finagle it into working.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    edited June 2019
    I started with The Sims 1. My then teenage son brought it home. He asked me to help him fix some houses that he built. It was love at first sight.
    I've been a Sims addict since.
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

These commercials...

https://youtu.be/LtzxsudpZsA

I still remember being 12 years old, seeing these on TV, and deciding that I needed that game now.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I started on sims 1 as just another game but got hooked and continued into sims 2
    Life intervened and I missed sims 3. Time went on and then I was ill in hospital then recovery took months and I found sims 4 as an escape and a way to reconnect to life and also those memories of earlier summing.
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited June 2019
    I started with the Sims 2 in my mid teenage years, I remember seeing this ad on TV which I have NEVER EVER EVER been able to find despite looking.

It was a short live action commercial and featured this couple shown in their house looking very conservative, then boom their front door opens and in walks this women dressed in all leather who cracks a whip against her hand. Then a voice over at the end said something like "Sims 2 - get wild" or maybe it was "Sims 2 live a little!"

It was very memorable lol.

Now for any teenage boy who sees a commercial - for a game that promises to get wild - thats like an instana buy!

And the first thing I did when I played it? Made myself and woohoo'd every hot sim girl I met, when I ran out I downloaded all the disney princesses and woohoo'd them. Then the girls from Final Fantasy lol..

Hey I was a teenage boy and all.

Which might explain my first custom content too, self made I might add. It was a tshirt that read ...well lets just say my sim handed them out after woohooing his partners lol.

Which brings me to this real life girl I had super crush on in one of my classes and she played the Sims 2 as well. When she came over with our friends once, she wanted to see how I played. I didn't exactly show her that, BUT she quickly noted all the girls walking around wearing t-shirts with my name on them that basically said it all.

The good news is she just laughed and said we definitely don't have the same play styles...the bad news was all my friends there saw it too. I was teased for a while at school, everybody wanted to know where to get the "tshirt"....

Ah memories...
  • Options
    Sims_4_ever_Sims_4_ever_ Posts: 143 Member
    I love hearing your stories. I remember I used to play this really terrible game called Virtual Families before I started playing sims again. The graphics were horrendous and the adults were the only ones that could work and they made like three dollars each per day, and families were constantly getting sick and dying, and worse everything was in REAL TIME! It was like a nightmareish slightly modernized Oregon trail! Seriously, I STILL have nightmares about it. Thank the creators for sims...
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Started playing sims 1 at a friends house after she got it in about 2002/2003. I was around 8 years old at the time. I fell in love when had to have it. I think I was able to get the game for getting good grades or something like that. I’ve been playing ever since and have enjoyed each version for various reasons.
  • Options
    hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    I was out at Meijer's at one point in my life browsing for YA! book novels, and afterwards I strolled down to the "electronic" section and saw a pile of games and whatnot and ran across The Sims. I read through it and admired the animation that was being presented and wondered what it'd be like playing this (also because I haven't really played much of anything except old classic PC and RL games), so I bought my 1st copy and been hooked on it ever since. ;)
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Just curious to see what attracted my fellow simmers to the game. I started playing on the pc before the ps4 version came out. I didn't know the game existed until my friend told me about it. She gave me all her base game cd and all her expansions. I thought I'd give it a try. Best decision ever.

Honestly? Sim City. I loved playing that and when The Sims came out, one of the angles for advertising was to control the sims that live in our city. I loved that idea. Then I fell in love with building! Well maybe not so much until Sims 3 but it's the best thing in Sims 4, that's for sure.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I saw an add about Sims 2 on the TV and decided to try it. Been an addict ever since.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    edited June 2019
    I was a fan of both SimCity 2000 and its prettier sequel, SimCity 3000. The Unlimited version of SimCity 3000 came with a preview for The Sims which IMMEDIATELY fascinated me. With some savings and an advance on my allowance I bought it on release, and I've been playing ever since. As a kid, the game allowed me to tell whatever stories I wanted, which is something I had done with toys, but it also allowed me to play around with building things in an easy, inexpensive way. The game was also my gateway into learning how to explore and manipulate computer files, like making replacement pajamas by giving skins the right filename and putting them into the folder, or inserting downloadable homes by replacing the right...iff file, I think, with one I'd downloaded. Eventually the game allowed for people to do that more easily, without file manipulation, but I'm glad I had that experience.

I also loved, loved, loved the subtle connections between SimCity 300 and The Sims -- for instance, not only mentions of the Landgraab family, but the fact that the stuff in buy mode was produced by industries in SimCity 3000, like Shiny Things Inc.

Original Sims 1 trailer here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLpvhNfoWA
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    A friend of mine told me about Sims 3 and one of first games I got was University and had the base game included. I remember being so excited about Island Paradise, even pre-ordering and only to be let down as Sims 3 was just a pain-took a lot time to load, CAS took forever, game often crashed on me (gave up on building as it happened a lot when doing so), lagging, etc....I also just found the sims themselves to stiff and boring, so I gave up until I got Sims 2 and Sims 4.

I played Sims 2 just before Sims 4 came out and I loved it and I could see why people loved it so much.
  • Options
    LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    I started watching Lifesimmer and xUrbansimsx when the game came out and wanted to try it for the longest. I finally got the money (and the computer) for it back in august of last year so I bought the game.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Started playing Sims 4 mainly because of the graphics. I really enjoy playing with families, building, and remodeling. Cats & Dogs and Seaons are my favorites-love small dogs. Yet, I think Island Living will also become a favorite.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    My sister bought the original Sims 1 with her first job in 2000. I was only allowed to play a year later when House Party came out. I've been simming ever since. :)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    RagnvaldRagnvald Posts: 45 Member
    Don't really remember how I originally got aware of The Sims (think maybe I read an article/review in a computer magazine, or perhaps I saw the Trailer?), I do know that when it was close to release time her in Denmark I started going to the various shops that sold games to see if they had it on the shelves yet, and the first time I spotted it I bought it.
    "When i became a man i put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" - C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I started playing Sims 1 back in the days. We just got our first PC and I saw an ad in a magazine... well Mum bought us the game and my brothers and me played like crazy 😂
    We bought every addon, omg it was a fun time.