Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you put “rules” on yourself?

So, do you? I’ve been thinking a lot about how it seems as if without rules all my sims do the same thing but with them it gets boring and old. How do you play? THIS ISN’T COUNTING CHALLENGES - I don’t play challenges so 🤷‍♀️ thanks for answering ❤️ 😊

Do you put “rules” on yourself? 251 votes

I have lots of “rules” for myself
11%
Bluefairy286SimmervillelisamwittCamkatWritin_RegmcruddBoergeAarg61cchant86moltaziaKirbySkywalkertinaestellemlmeadowsduhboy2u2TheSpaniard164MoonfoxNightcrybecks1112AnnLee87Bearpal64RainbowIslandEnkiSchmidt 28 votes
I have an average amount of “rules” in my games
18%
jeepjeepcatdreamergrl84BlkBarbiegalHowGreatThouArtCookie4simsinvisiblgirlCinebaraircastle87ldmarkoHimRumiashcrash19jupkmnTeeSeafallenangel66papertongueLissyK9LadyKynwiredhanna67CAITLINX354Nicole_M_33_88 47 votes
I have few “rules” in my game
36%
Akl500PCK213Frn0731icmnfrshalan650111jonilla1Angel_mixSleepycatDSLIsb917simm621BloosmoobabajayneMariefoxprice83MawMawSimpkinNivyxScarbo27alanmichael1barracuda1574Bluelle 92 votes
I have no “rules” in my game, duh!
25%
IcewolfLaBlue0314VibseStrangerthanmercuryfoamsimgirl1010friendlysimmersWyrrenJestTrupeskycilAjaGioluthienrisingslamondaLizzychicagocooldood555AquariusMomtaydevPlumbobCrossingSimplyToriClassicalSim 64 votes
Other: specify in comments
7%
haloujaSarahTheRedsikasika18halloweenchildSindocatXxAirixXTLM08FlyingPotato659Colton147147SimTrippyNorthDakotaGamerStina1701AperagogosofasimThePocketWeaselDragonGirl643nerdfashionLizzyMacTownieArcherDKFreshMeat 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Every time I play my game I am always doing something different. I have tried several times playing different challenges but get bored, because of all the rules.
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    No rules, I do whatever I want in my games. I do challenges, but will put my own spins on them.

Rule for myself though, is I'm under no circumstances allowed to play before bed.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    sometimes
    now my current rule is that I must do every achievement in my game with one family and I must have their ancestor complete every skill and aspiration and every descendant must die after getting a child to continue the family unless I'm doing career path with them
    (because of doing 100 generations for that one achievement)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    but usually my rule has just been mess up the whole city
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    It's my favorite thing about the Sims, no rules, no win/loose outcome. Probably why I can't do challenges, all those arbitrary rules.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    TLM08TLM08 Posts: 105 Member
    I don't have specific rules for every time I play. I really set more goals and then will have rules associated with fulfilling that goal.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    I have a few rules in my game. I play rotational.

1, First born child always inherits the family home. This is to make sure I'm not always favouring one sex over the other.
    2, Each family gets played for one sim year before I rotate to a different one. I have my season length set to 14 days.
    3, No cheating money. My sims can earn what they need/want or go without it.

I think that's it.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited June 2019
    1. No cheating. I also like to have no stereo, computer or tv. I wanna find I guess harder ways to fill my sims' needs. So basically, always support more gameplay and never an easy way out. I hardly ever upgrade anything either. It's never boring like this as there's always something to do.
    2. And some rules depend on sims. I make them act a certain way that I might not want to but think it fits their personality.
    3. All heirs/heiress' and their partner who they had the next heir/heiress with have to (live and) die on my active lot so I can take their grave to the family graveyard. I don't always have happily ever after marriages so I have to make something up to make it into a story.

I don't feel uninspired or stuck with these rules as I play legacy and they fit well. I have never felt the need to try a different gameplay though as I've only had this one family since the release. I have plenty of freedom for my sim every generation.I can do whatever as long as those three a done.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I chose "average" amount, but my rule is there are no rules! Kidding. I don't cheat for anything other than to maybe fix something that's broken. Anything else is more my playstyle than any actual rules. Like I tend to be rather traditionalist in the Sims 4, not sure why other than the ease of doing it that way maybe. *shrug*
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It depends on what file I play as to the restrictions which I set.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    There are a few rules I go by. First of all, no cheating, since it would take away the fun for me. And there are certain events I always avoid because they're either broken or boring (like when I get invited to a birthday party).
  • Options
    moltaziamoltazia Posts: 58 Member
    i only have "rules" regarding gameplay such like "are occults a thing in this savegame?" and then rules for how they function if yes. My apocalyptic save have quite a bit of rules and alot of groups of people i go in and edit and set up clubs specifically for them and the behaviours i want (agressive mutants, alcoholic and mean raiders, conflict avoiding farmers etc) so that save is like super rules heavy.

Same with saves that have vampires as a part of them. usually go with vtmb rules for those and special rules for vampire breeding.

i never play "official" challenges, more set up rules and then do multigenerational storytelling with actions and consequeces within those rules. (poison an important member of a vmapire coven? have them hunt every member of your family down until you have to go into hiding as the last surviving member then just keep going like that)
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    Most of you are mainly saying no cheating, which I can also agree with. Great responses everybody! I think I’m going to be more open and have less rules. I also don’t know if I actually feel restricted by these rules or if I’m just trying to find an excuse to open a new save 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The main rule I have is no money cheats and if I can no cheats unless there is a glitch I need to cheat my way out of. I prefer to play my sims from the set money the game gives and work my way up from there. How I go about that varies on what type of sim or family I am playing.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Main rule - avoid using cheats, avoid changing the physical appearance of the sim as they are born the way they are
  • Options
    ViviOfficiallyViviOfficially Posts: 20 Member
    The only rule I have was that I can play one household for every few sim days. So I won't have to deal with other households doing absolutely nothing while I'm away playing other households for long periods of time and not playing favorites when it comes to households.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Not really.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Unless I am doing a challenge, I have no rules or restrictions. It is just whatever I feel like doing and depending on the type of gameplay and story I am doing at the time. If I don't like telling a story and all that, I just basically let my sim decide what to do based on free will or wishes.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    The only real 'rule' I've followed consistently in gameplay is that committed and married couples don't cheat or divorce. I've never felt a need to use a money cheat either in gameplay. However, I do cheat money needed for contest/challenge builds but that doesn't apply here. Again, I never cheat for satisfaction points, aspiration, skill goals or use freebuild to get a lot my Sims can't afford either unless it's needed/allowed for a challenge.

The majority of my gameplay saves start out as Rags to Riches too, but not all of them. Most times my Sims have a favorite color and I dress them and their homes to reflect it. I also like to alliterate their names, for example; Ben Bummer, Clarissa Coles, Delilah Devine, Hollie Hobbs, Jonah Jett, Lilah Lockhart, Gloria Gamble, etc. But not always, it depends on their character in the story or challenge.

I do have a lot of rules in building for myself that I like to follow. For instance; every bathroom has a toilet paper roll, every sink has a hanging towel and soap dispenser, every outside door has a rug in front of it, living room sets and beds have rugs too. All landscaping plants/trees/rocks/furniture need some kind of dirt/sand/gravel under them. All stoves have a hood, if they have a fireplace, they have a chimney and I always put tile under fireplaces.

If my Sims have a garden, they always have a garden hose and the rack with gardening implements. All hot tubs have the rug that looks like slats surrounding it. I rarely accept invitations via cell unless I'm trying to get the two Sims together in a romantic relationship and only if their needs are in good levels. I always mute their cells so calls don't interrupt their sleep. I never use the high chair for toddlers. I will sometimes get the umbrella rack for decoration, but none of my Sims actually use an umbrella. They're just a glitchy nuisance for my Sims.

Looking back on this I guess I should've picked 'I have an average amount of rules' instead of just a few. lol *shrugs*

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    Yes. I generally don't use any money cheats. I also only age sims up on their proper birthdays.
  • Options
    AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    I don't really have rules and I love the money cheat <3:D
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited June 2019
    Main rule I have is no money cheats. I also keep the "ugly" sims natural (no plastic surgery ;) ) and just fix them up with a decent wardrobe and makeup or for men facial hair.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited June 2019
    There are some things that I just have to keep myself from doing otherwise I won't have any fun. I don't allow my vampire to use plasma packs or plasma fruit, for example. It makes it way too easy. I don't use money cheats on a sim that I plan to actually play with. My painters aren't allowed to sell their paintings and my writers aren't allowed to publish their books. The game has many exploits, I try not to take advantage of anything that seems unorthodox.

Of course, these are all loose rules. If I really feel like doing something I will do it anyway without regret.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    Definitely. I play legacies and challenges exactly following the rules. I never let any of my sims use cheats - I do not use cheats of any kind in my game - my sims have to earn what they get - with one exception - when a child grows up and moves out I have mom and dad give them each 2 of those expensive violins - so when they move they have money to start their first house with that they can sell.

Also if a sim dies before their time - in other words before they are of old age - I bring them back. I want every one of my Sims to have a full long life - (it's a personal thing with me - so it is the only thing I do cheat is death).

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I only have one rule but it's more a thing I want to do. I have large expanded families, like for example 7 siblings who already have families on their own and I play rotational to make sure all the siblings age up in the correct order they were born 😅 if one dies of old age and the other is still 3 days YA, I could not handle.