Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 should be much more Advanced , with more Player control.More player involvement.

Comments

• Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Call me weird, but I like rabbit holes for some things, like work. When they walk out the door and disappear, I just imagine that they're commuting to another world somewhere off the map to do their job so for me it's not unimmersive at all. If you have to go to work/school with your Sim in order for them to progress and you have a family of 4-5, how do you choose who to follow each day? That's my main issue with the GTW careers. I do like the Work From Home careers where you choose to go to the rabbit hole or stay home and do required tasks, and I'd love to see that option added for schooling for children/teens. A mixture of the different types of careers (like we currently have) would be the best starting point for a theoretical/mythical Sims 5.

The point and the topic of this discussion is how Sims 5 can be BETTER and MORE innovative than Sims 3 & 4 and not just yet another sims game. It needs to be impressive and worth an investment to attract players who are not interested in paying hundreds of more dollars for the SAME game all over again with "new" packaging .
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    So people are can only have old computers shouldn't be allowed to play newer Sim games just because you guys want every single thing to be opened up which would make some people's computers just crash? Jeeze and people think I'm self-centred. You guys are more self centred then I am

I guess the concept of budgeting and saving money just doesn’t work for you? Don’t live outside of your means. If you have money to buy the DLC packs then you absolutely could invest in an decent machine. You aren’t obligated to buy anything for this game if you know you need a better computer. Priorities. Don’t look for pity from anyone else, I certainly don’t have any for people who complain about money after spending it on novelties like video games.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    because not everyone's computer not even GAMING computers can handle an open world?
    Do you have source to verify this carried over myth through out the years that's been proven time and time open world is partially the problem of not handling the open world. Especially when such words usually come from people who run TS4 on toasters and can't tell whether their "gaming" rig is 64bit or lower.
    Sims 3 was a big huge resource hog and if you added mods that were resource hogs to make the game run better it didn’t help. My game can run TS3 but it renders slowly and the its not the best experience. That was caused by open worlds.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Personally I don’t need to be able to play each and every detail in the game to call it a life simulation game. It’s a game, not life. That mainly applies to rabbitholes like careers and school though. Making restaurants and shops and prom and an ocean a rabbithole is something else, those need to be open. Movie theatres? Meh, I don’t really see the fun in watching a room full of sims sittig in a chair watching a screen. My sims hardly ever watch tv either.

I do agree with the part in this discussion however that advocates the game needing a good computer. I want the game to be as complex and in depth as possible, I do want that open world and I want to be able to customize as much as possible. I’ll never understand why for other games that’s not a problem, but as a simmer I’m supposed to be ‘casual’ and not care about that. I do.

For me, I do need to be able to see every detail. Having everything OPEN makes it seem less fake. Yes, at the end of the day its a game. That does not mean it should not be a good game or a convincing game. Its comments like the ones there, that make this game NOT do more than the absolute minimum . If they think most of their fans dont care about cutting edge features, like seamless gameplay and realistic graphics and immersive gameplay, then why should they provide it?

To be honest, other games look better and are more impressive because the fans of those games would never go for anything less. They want cutting edge graphics and they want stunning gameplay. Sims fans are all "I want a game that can run on my weak computer." They are probably the only fan base of people who dont want to push the boundaries and see what this "Life simulation" idea can truly be.

And if thats the case. If Im asking too much from this fanbase. And Maxis listens to them and makes Sims 5 another rehash and it seems outdated and behind the times in comparison to other popular video games when its released, then I just won't play or partake in this community anymore. Because it seems like any requests for this series to BE more and DO more than it has before is met with resistance. Or a sense of why do we need this fancy feature, or all that high falluting 'nonsense'? we dont care about that, we just want a simple, cartoony game, with closed off environments! :|

What if I don't want another cartoony Sims game, that looks like a child's dollhouse? What if I want a more contemporary Simming experience?

I’m sorry if you want less cartoony sims then play Second Life. I don’t want realistic looking sims that to me isn’t what the game is or ever has been. It’s cartoony hilarious sims that do crazy things you would never see in real life that is the appeal.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Personally I don’t need to be able to play each and every detail in the game to call it a life simulation game. It’s a game, not life. That mainly applies to rabbitholes like careers and school though. Making restaurants and shops and prom and an ocean a rabbithole is something else, those need to be open. Movie theatres? Meh, I don’t really see the fun in watching a room full of sims sittig in a chair watching a screen. My sims hardly ever watch tv either.

I do agree with the part in this discussion however that advocates the game needing a good computer. I want the game to be as complex and in depth as possible, I do want that open world and I want to be able to customize as much as possible. I’ll never understand why for other games that’s not a problem, but as a simmer I’m supposed to be ‘casual’ and not care about that. I do.

For me, I do need to be able to see every detail. Having everything OPEN makes it seem less fake. Yes, at the end of the day its a game. That does not mean it should not be a good game or a convincing game. Its comments like the ones there, that make this game NOT do more than the absolute minimum . If they think most of their fans dont care about cutting edge features, like seamless gameplay and realistic graphics and immersive gameplay, then why should they provide it?

To be honest, other games look better and are more impressive because the fans of those games would never go for anything less. They want cutting edge graphics and they want stunning gameplay. Sims fans are all "I want a game that can run on my weak computer." They are probably the only fan base of people who dont want to push the boundaries and see what this "Life simulation" idea can truly be.

And if thats the case. If Im asking too much from this fanbase. And Maxis listens to them and makes Sims 5 another rehash and it seems outdated and behind the times in comparison to other popular video games when its released, then I just won't play or partake in this community anymore. Because it seems like any requests for this series to BE more and DO more than it has before is met with resistance. Or a sense of why do we need this fancy feature, or all that high falluting 'nonsense'? we dont care about that, we just want a simple, cartoony game, with closed off environments! :|

What if I don't want another cartoony Sims game, that looks like a child's dollhouse? What if I want a more contemporary Simming experience?

I’m sorry if you want less cartoony sims then play Second Life. I don’t want realistic looking sims that to me isn’t what the game is or ever has been. It’s cartoony hilarious sims that do crazy things you would never see in real life that is the appeal.

This argument makes little sense. The game before looked cartoony and had less satisfying gameplay because of technology. But as technology advances, so should video games. There is literally no reason to be stuck in the past. Video games are better when they are innovative, not STALE @pepperjax1230 And as someone who is by no means new to the sims, Im not sorry for wanting advancements. You might be fine with having 5 expensive versions of the same game with no improvements or growth visually and otherwise ,but I am not.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    because not everyone's computer not even GAMING computers can handle an open world?
    Do you have source to verify this carried over myth through out the years that's been proven time and time open world is partially the problem of not handling the open world. Especially when such words usually come from people who run TS4 on toasters and can't tell whether their "gaming" rig is 64bit or lower.
    Sims 3 was a big huge resource hog and if you added mods that were resource hogs to make the game run better it didn’t help. My game can run TS3 but it renders slowly and the its not the best experience. That was caused by open worlds.

Ive run more demanding Open world games before on my gaming laptops and play on the highest settings. Open world games CAN be optimized and run well. It just has to be managed correctly.

What exactly , is your own vision for sims 5 because it sounds like you would like a remake of Sims 4. Which literally doesnt benefit anyone at all. Not even EA.
  • Options
    If Sims 5 is more of the same humdrum, it will fail. And players will want a game experience that provides the player with more control and more possibilities , not less and not more of the same :| . It just won't work. Not after what happened with Sims 4. It will come to the point where people dont even bother to ask for A Sims 6, because they wont expect it to be any better if Sims 5 doesn't deliver. They would just lose interest in the series once it proves to be a disappointment more than once.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    So people are can only have old computers shouldn't be allowed to play newer Sim games just because you guys want every single thing to be opened up which would make some people's computers just crash? Jeeze and people think I'm self-centred. You guys are more self centred then I am

Honestly gaming itself even at leisure can be an expensive hobby. Technology advances and so does games. If and when S5 comes to be I would like it to be bringing something good to the table with a powerful engine at that so performance doesnt suffer due to limitations. Games cant be held back because there are some that cant afford a better computer.

Back in the day I had very midrange computers and couldn't get a lot of games I wanted because it was below specs. Course now able to afford a decent computer with high specs it was definitely money well spent. Everyone's situation is definitely different with money, but I dont think everyone should be limited because others. Appreciated that they think about performance being taxing on ones computer, but the people that have the money will definitely shell out more cash if they're gonna get that bang for their buck with more freedom.

Just how it goes. Nothing wrong with the previous games to continue playing them as each one has a dedicated community.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Ive run more demanding Open world games before on my gaming laptops and play on the highest settings. Open world games CAN be optimized and run well. It just has to be managed correctly.

What exactly , is your own vision for sims 5 because it sounds like you would like a remake of Sims 4. Which literally doesnt benefit anyone at all. Not even EA.
    The Sims 3 is in no way optimized good is my point so you can sit there and say you have ran games with open worlds all you want. We are talking about the Sims 3 and the game has more problems then its worth playing. In no way am I a newbie to the game either but the appeal of Sims 4 was that it was different from the Sims 3 and if it was open world again I probably wouldn't have moved on to it.

This argument makes little sense. The game before looked cartoony and had less satisfying gameplay because of technology. But as technology advances, so should video games. There is literally no reason to be stuck in the past. Video games are better when they are innovative, not STALE @pepperjax1230 And as someone who is by no means new to the sims, Im not sorry for wanting advancements. You might be fine with having 5 expensive versions of the same game with no improvements or growth visually and otherwise ,but I am not.

My point is that if you want the sims themselves to look realistic they never will. Do you really want to look at realistic looking sims and watch them age? I am sorry I rather have cartoony sims any day. So I was saying if you want realistic looking people in a game play Second Life. They don't have to change the sims like that the game is meant to be cartoony and fun to play.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

The Sims 3 is in no way optimized good is my point so you can sit there and say you have ran games with open worlds all you want. We are talking about the Sims 3 and the game has more problems then its worth playing. In no way am I a newbie to the game either but the appeal of Sims 4 was that it was different from the Sims 3 and if it was open world again I probably wouldn't have moved on to it.

My point is that if you want the sims themselves to look realistic they never will. Do you really want to look at realistic looking sims and watch them age? I am sorry I rather have cartoony sims any day. So I was saying if you want realistic looking people in a game play Second Life. They don't have to change the sims like that the game is meant to be cartoony and fun to play.

"Fun to play". And not only are many, many games with realistic looking characters fun to play, most gamers prefer more realistic graphics. So I strongly disagree that The Sims needs that. I played open world games with characters that look a lot more realistic and not once was I bothered by that. In fact I find them more relate-able.

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Well, they are probably working on sims 5 .W hich were probably not going to see for years.One of the job listing said to model for a realistic style.I personally would love to see a more realistic style for the sims vs a cutsey style for some 4
  • Options
    edited June 2019

"Fun to play". And not only are many, many games with realistic looking characters fun to play, most gamers prefer more realistic graphics. So I strongly disagree that The Sims needs that. I played open world games with characters that look a lot more realistic and not once was I bothered by that. In fact I find them more relate-able.

thank like @pepperjax1230 said go play Second Life or IMVU if you want "Realstic" sims. Or better yet get off your computer and head into Real Life deal with "Real Life" [/quote/]
    What is wrong wanted more realistic sims.If the art style is good.They can look pretty good.

What is wrong with wanting more realistic sims? They can look pretty good depending on the style.
  • Options

thank like @pepperjax1230 said go play Second Life or IMVU if you want "Realstic" sims. Or better yet get off your computer and head into Real Life deal with "Real Life"

What is wrong with wanting realistic sims.With the right style they can look stunning.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2019

thank like @pepperjax1230 said go play Second Life or IMVU if you want "Realstic" sims. Or better yet get off your computer and head into Real Life deal with "Real Life"

IMVU isnt' really a simulation as it is a avatar social network and about the same can be said for Scond life. Ironically, Will Wright the creator of the Sims is a member of the board of linden lab, who created Second Life.

Honestly, for a sims game I don't care for 'realistic' graphics as I do for more stylized graphics. Real graphics in some other games I absolutely love (RD2, Elder Scrolls, Til Dawn, FNAF, GTA, Witcher) but the sims? 'Ehh?' Which I don't think a style choice define the advancement (not all the time) of a game as more of a preference choice. Feel like 'real' graphics is about a dime a dozen really and seeing the hyper realistic CC people use sometimes with the sims it's kinda 'ugh' to me, but that's just my opinion. Some people may like more real graphics and some more of a definite style. All just subjective and personal preference, but who knows what the next Sims game will look like? Maybe it'll fall somewhere inbetween for many to be pretty content with it.

Though, I do agree that a game shouldn't be held back because a company wants to consider other people's computers to just include everyone. Can't play a game because it requires higher specs? That's just a bummer, but life goes on. I couldn't play the Sims 2 for the longest time til I had a computer that managed to run it (load times were heinous and LONG) course now on the computers of today it wakes way less time. Couldn't imagine playing the Sims 2 again on a gateway computer in 2019.

More things packed into packs and even more packed into base games compared to previous predecessors because the computers can run it (and probably even next gen consoles.)

Dunno why it's so wrong for anyone to want a bigger game that computers of today (and even five years ago) can run with ease. It's like expecting RDR2 to play on my PS3 or even PS2.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options

What is wrong with wanting realistic sims.With the right style they can look stunning.
    There isn’t anything wrong with realistic in games that are meant to be and look that way I prefer the sims not to. I can make my sims stunning with CC.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member

"Realistic" sims have a habit of falling right into the uncanny valley, especially when they're in motion. I'll also note here that the two biggest video games nowadays are Minecraft and Fortnite. Neither really makes me think of hyper-realistic graphics.
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Though, I do agree that a game shouldn't be held back because a company wants to consider other people's computers to just include everyone. Can't play a game because it requires higher specs? That's just a bummer, but life goes on. I couldn't play the Sims 2 for the longest time til I had a computer that managed to run it (load times were heinous and LONG) course now on the computers of today it wakes way less time. Couldn't imagine playing the Sims 2 again on a gateway computer in 2019.

In the specific case of sims, I'm pretty sure that most of the playerbase doesn't have high end machines. Games that only run on bleeding edge machines tend not to sell as well. Plus, for better or worse, being able to play on consoles seems to be a target now. PC gamers will be able to crank up the eye candy, but the basic engine will have to be able to work on the next generation of consoles.
  • Options

There isn’t anything wrong with realistic in games that are meant to be and look that way I prefer the sims not to. I can make my sims stunning with CC.

There is nothing that says Sims is "meant" to be anything actually. The art style has changed several times. And times are definitely more advanced now. The sims can step into more realism. It can and in my opinion it should. The uncanny argument is a fail imo. Lots of games have realistic characters without being too uncanny.

Furthermore, it doesnt have to be photo-realistic, but it would be nice to have it much less cartoon looking than sims 4 is.
  • Options
    But anyway, aside from the graphics and art style needing a boost in a potential Sims 5 game, the actual gameplay needs to be more advanced than Sims 3 and Sims 4. Players need a reason to spend their money and buy even more expensive systems to run the new game. When EP's are released for Sims 5 , players who DON'T wish to play with rabbit hole features should not be limited to those.

This topic is being sidetracked and derailed by focusing on what the sims was "meant" to look like . Which isnt actually even a thing.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited June 2019
    Rabbit-Holes are there to prevent crashes and allow a maximum amount of people to play the game. I don't think they can turn rabbit-holes off without changing everyones game. If everything in ts4 was active then I wouldn't be able to play.

If sims 5 is no different than sims 3 or 4 as far as the advancements made then I will absolutely not waste any money. I'll leave that to people who want to line their pockets for ZERO innovation and progress and the same gameplay and same experiences just re-branded and repackaged. Heck the freaking no. Sims games aren't cheap. $40 per pop on an EP. Sims 5 would have to be earth shatteringly innovative and advanced gameplay wise in order for me to invest.

This option is, of course, always your choice. There are other games that focus more intensely on the dress-up aspect, but neglect EVERYTHING else completely (games such as Love Nikki Dress-Up(which to be fair, does let you design some rooms after you reach a certain level), Covet Fashion to name a couple). There are other games (such as House Flipper and various mobile home design games) that focus more intensely on the building and buying aspect, but again neglect everything else, including live mode. There are games that include live mode and dress up and build mode AND are multiplayer with chat, but are prohibitively expensive (such as Avakin Life, IMVU, Second Life), and don't let you play multiple characters or have kids in game. If you fancy fantasy and adventure and magic and medieval themes, there are plenty of online or offline RPGs for you to choose between (Path of Exile is one of my latest favorites). Cloud multiplayer games can potentially have more areas available, and open world or much faster loading time between areas (a few seconds instead of a minute or two) getting past the problem of a single computer not having the power to run all the game content. But they also have the problems of multiplayer games - ie griefers, trolls(donotfeed), drama, etc.

I have tried many games other than the Sims series. But I always come back to the Sims, because the game, even with its flaws is so unique in its own aspects.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Rabbit-Holes are there to prevent crashes and allow a maximum amount of people to play the game. I don't think they can turn rabbit-holes off without changing everyones game. If everything in ts4 was active then I wouldn't be able to play.

If sims 5 is no different than sims 3 or 4 as far as the advancements made then I will absolutely not waste any money. I'll leave that to people who want to line their pockets for ZERO innovation and progress and the same gameplay and same experiences just re-branded and repackaged. Heck the freaking no. Sims games aren't cheap. $40 per pop on an EP. Sims 5 would have to be earth shatteringly innovative and advanced gameplay wise in order for me to invest.

This option is, of course, always your choice. There are other games that focus more intensely on the dress-up aspect, but neglect EVERYTHING else completely (games such as Love Nikki Dress-Up, Covet Fashion to name a couple). There are other games (such as House Flipper and various mobile home design games) that focus more intensely on the building and buying aspect, but again neglect everything else, including live mode. There are games that include live mode and dress up and build mode AND are multiplayer with chat, but are prohibitively expensive (such as Avakin Life, IMVU, Second Life), and don't let you play multiple characters or have kids in game. If you fancy fantasy and adventure and magic and medieval themes, there are plenty of online or offline RPGs for you to choose between (Path of Exile is one of my latest favorites). Cloud multiplayer games can potentially have more areas available, and open world or much faster loading time between areas (a few seconds instead of a minute or two) getting past the problem of a single computer not having the power to run all the game content. But they also have the problems of multiplayer games - ie griefers, trolls(donotfeed), drama, etc.

Yeah, there may be some other semi-related games. But I am a simmer. I am here to share MY thoughts about the game I like and I have chosen to play. Those other games aren't the same and the potential this game has is incredible , if they would just tap into it, that would be awesome :)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    because not everyone's computer not even GAMING computers can handle an open world? Not everyone wants to follow our sim to movie theatres-I mean when you can get off your bottom and GO to a real movie theatre? Why would I want to follow my sim into a dinner-it would just be the same as what we got w/ Dine Out sure its nice. Do you want to follow your children and teens to school I mean what could they do AT school ? Would you want to follow teens to their part-time jobs when you can go and get one of those part-time jobs for yourself in real life?

There's a time when technology is improving you have to follow it. It's life. You can stick up with previous games if you can't accept that.

and not everyone can buy a gaming computer? I don't even have a JOB because of disability income

That's why they are coming out with Legacy Edition soon. 32-bit is now basically obsolete: few computers use it anymore. No gaming computers use 32 bit, and even mid-range to low-end computers are 64-bit now. The problem is that it becomes more and more challenging to make everything backwards compatible, which is why Microsoft gave it up in their operating system around the time Windows ME came out (the first not fully backwards compatible operating system they had). You will still be able to play Legacy Edition Sims if you have a super-old or super-low-end computer, but you just won't be able to take advantage of new expansion packs.

It is possible to save by not buying everything you want, even on disability income. If you skip buying packs until you can afford a new computer, eventually in a few years, or 10-20 packs, you can afford a low-end new computer...which will likely be faster than a high end computer that was made about 5-10 years before that low-end computer. Alternatively, you can read guides and forums and wikis online to find out how to build your own computer, or for about $50 buy a book with instructions (or find one used/on sale maybe for less). You can build a decent computer yourself and save some money that way, plus maybe make money on the side building computers, depending on your disability limitations. If you have trouble maneuvering your body to install hardware, you can still buy a complete system without operating system preinstalled and install your own operating system to save money (don't forget the anti-virus software). Just be sure to have a different computer hooked up to the internet while you are doing this in case you need to refer to information online. If you have only one monitor, be sure to have printed instructions available when connecting the new computer to the internet. Fortunately, plug & play and USB devices make it easier than it used to be to connect devices like mouse, keyboard, and printer. Pro tip - you will likely need a flashlight to make sure you are lining connections up properly.

System requirements will eventually require a new computer for new and updated games, it is just a matter of when. I am starting to need a new graphics card myself, even though I bought a new gaming computer on a Black Friday special 3 or 4 years ago. I also could use a bigger hard drive since I collect massive amounts of custom content.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Things being open don’t necessarily make it less fake to me. When I send my sim to a rabbithole school that’s ok by me (especially when I can follow another sim in the household in the meantime). An open school will always have its boundaries and limitations, like in TS3 University. A series of animations, over and over again. That to me looks more fake tbh than a rabbithole where I can just imagine “she’s talking to her friends now” or “she’s working hard” while I’m collecting bugs or gems with her mother. They’d have to make something really amazing out of it to make it entertaining and not make it feel fake. Open for me isn’t necessarily a better experience. Like the open jobs in Sims 4. It’s the very same routine over and over again behind the very same devices. I enjoy that about 3 times tops, then I find myself pressing speed 3 the whole time. That’s me though.

That being said, with a lot of what you say I do agree.

No, Sims 3 doesn’t have more problems than it’s worth playing. I can totally live with the problems it comes with in turn for what it gives me. The freedom, the room, the options, the customizability make it toally worthwhile for me. And that’s Sims 3, we’re not even necessarily talking about Sims 3 here. We’re talking about a possible Sims 5 meeting certain expectations. Al lot of us want open world. That doesn’t mean we want routing issues and rushing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Be allowed , you are still allowed to play sims.Your not entitled for this game.I don't won't the whole world open up. I feel for those who have low end computers. The best thing to do is save, or get a part time job.

not possible on disability income not unless I want to decide between medication or roof over my head

Then I'm sorry, but maybe you can get extra job.Babysit , or find smaller jobs you can do.

even those are not allowed for anyone on disability beside I don't have a baby-sitter training. I mean 28/29 year old in a room full of 12-13+ children? Their parents would think I'm only there to do nasty stuff to their children /s

Most babysitters who do it only occasionally do not run a day care for 12-13 children. They babysit one or two children at a time, often for less than minimum wage. Besides, if you get paid cash, and not a lot of cash, how would the paperwork pushers know? Do they require copies of your bank statements? If so, don't use bank accounts for cash payments. That is what you use the credit cards you can purchase in the store for cash for. Just make sure you don't get more than $599 from any one source, and not more than $400/year total if you live in the US. If you get less than $400/year total from any other kind of work, they will not see anything on your tax return.
  • Options

If you find them more relate-able, perhaps those are the games you should be playing. Nobody requires you to play one game, or one series of game. If you don't like what one game brings to the table, try other games. And don't expect that you have a monopoly on what the future of the Sims series should be. We are all here together, and it is not right to say that some members of our community do not belong here. That includes Simmers who play games like Freeplay or Sims Mobile because maybe they do not have a computer at all, or prefer that style of gameplay. Trying to top the specs is a slippery slope. Who says how often someone has to buy a new computer, or how expensive a computer has to be to play? What if there was a game that required you to buy a new top of the line computer every SIX MONTHS? Would you be happy then? If so, how about every TWO MONTHS?
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    Rabbitholes do two things. They help you paper over incredibly boring elements of gameplay (GTW careers are dull and repetitive to me, so just being able to have a sim go off to do their own thing is okay), and they're a trick to have sims kind of be in an area without taking up as much computing power. The latter was necessary in a game like sims 3 where you had to have a lot of other sims around without having your computer melt into so much 🐸🐸🐸🐸. You'll note that there are few rabbithole locations on sims 4 maps.

That said, tradeoffs absolutely do have to be made. Time a developer spends on a boring minutiae of sim life is time they aren't spending on some other feature, and they do have to decide where they want to spend the computing powers they can expect. (Again, I expect consoles to wind up providing the benchmarks they aim for.)
    Alternatively, you can read guides and forums and wikis online to find out how to build your own computer, or for about $50 buy a book with instructions (or find one used/on sale maybe for less). You can build a decent computer yourself and save some money that way, plus maybe make money on the side building computers, depending on your disability limitations. If you have trouble maneuvering your body to install hardware, you can still buy a complete system without operating system preinstalled and install your own operating system to save money (don't forget the anti-virus software). Just be sure to have a different computer hooked up to the internet while you are doing this in case you need to refer to information online. If you have only one monitor, be sure to have printed instructions available when connecting the new computer to the internet. Fortunately, plug & play and USB devices make it easier than it used to be to connect devices like mouse, keyboard, and printer. Pro tip - you will likely need a flashlight to make sure you are lining connections up properly.

Premade computers are getting pretty close to DIY boxes in terms of price. And while you can save money by using a linux OS instead of windows, I really don't suggest trying to set up WINE unless you actually enjoy wrangling computers as a hobby. In short, there are only so many cost-cutting measures available, and there's only so much money they can save you.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top