Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Did You Know Thread On Island Living

Comments

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Eating mermaidic kelp twice while a mermaid makes you human.

Better not do that with Nalani then. I like her being a mermaid.

Nalani is bae,as the kids say ;)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you go on the computer to do research on conservation or write up the conservation article, then a random skill of your sim will start filling, I noticed it was mostly the last one worked on that would do that. Pretty cool I think :)
  • Options
    mcrudd wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you go on the computer to do research on conservation or write up the conservation article, then a random skill of your sim will start filling, I noticed it was mostly the last one worked on that would do that. Pretty cool I think :)

Yep. You always train Logic when researching conservation, but also what seems to be a "secondary " random skill.
  • Options
    kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    This maybe is not a 'Did you know?' but more of an observation.
    Mermaids spend 100% of their time swimming. They neglect their children, careers etc and just swim in the ocean. It is very frustrating. So frustrating in fact that I reverted my mermaid back into a human. I think there should be a patch to address this 'flaw'.
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    My mermaid (Nalani) doesn’t do that. I often find her playing the guitar. She will just as often take a bath as run for the ocean when her hydration gets low. But she doesn’t live in a beach lot or right next to the water.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    This maybe is not a 'Did you know?' but more of an observation.
    Mermaids spend 100% of their time swimming. They neglect their children, careers etc and just swim in the ocean. It is very frustrating. So frustrating in fact that I reverted my mermaid back into a human. I think there should be a patch to address this 'flaw'.

Better mention that here
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    I learned that your Mermaid Sim won't woohoo in a bed
  • Options

Mermaids do woohoo in bed. I saw that on Youtube when a Let's Player had an LP.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    my mermaid (well, merman...) has zero problem woohooing in a bed. he's in a relationship with one of the island ancestors, so they do that every time he summons them, after he's judged
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    My mermaid (Nalani) doesn’t do that. I often find her playing the guitar. She will just as often take a bath as run for the ocean when her hydration gets low. But she doesn’t live in a beach lot or right next to the water.

In my save, Nalani is doing her best to blend in: using the canoe instead of swimming in her mermaid form, playing on computer/motion rig, or using the microscope when I invite her to my house, dancing to the stereo... I've even found her fishing in Granite Falls!
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options

My mermaid (Nalani) woohoo in bed 2 3 times a day... yeah she and Astrid just moved in together recently...
  • Options
    Did you know that if your sim is swimming in the ocean they'll occasionally hear humpback whales especially at night. Happened to me. Loved the haunting sound.
  • Options
    Did you know that if your sim is swimming in the ocean they'll occasionally hear humpback whales especially at night. Happened to me. Loved the haunting sound.

Yeah. It's awesome.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Jean wrote: »
    Wait, you can actually place a volcano? Thats wild.

No, you can get lava bombs in any world if that lot has the volcanic activity trait(except apartments without outdoor space). But you can't place the volcano.

I heard we could place the volcano in other worlds.

@catloverplayer I would love that in Windenburg on the Island. Even if it just the lava bombs. and Earthquakes I wonder.

• Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,656 Member
    Evalen wrote: »

No, you can get lava bombs in any world if that lot has the volcanic activity trait(except apartments without outdoor space). But you can't place the volcano.

@catloverplayer I would love that in Windenburg on the Island. Even if it just the lava bombs. and Earthquakes I wonder.

That is a great idea!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »

Found out we can't place the volcano in other worlds however the volcano trait will still cause the lava bombs and earthquakes if your lot has it.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ever since I got Island Living, I noticed the Sims on the Island will eat rotten food. My Sims never used to eat rotten food-- one taste and they would stop eatting. Is this a bug?
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    Ever since I got Island Living, I noticed the Sims on the Island will eat rotten food. My Sims never used to eatten rotten food, one taste and they would stop eatting. Is this a bug?

It may be.
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    their version of ursula must have been much, much kinder than ariel's. and yeah, much of the time, the mermaids, premades or not, will be swimming with human legs (unless they're at the mermaid cove in mua pel'am) until another sim gets them to admit that they are, indeed mermaids (tends to take either really high friendship rating or using an 'ordinary' conch shell while a mermaid is nearby)

On that note, I've recently discovered that if you get an "undiscovered" mermaid to join your household through perfectly legitimate means (A.K.A. cheats, not sure about just asking them to move in or doing it via manage worlds), they'll not only continue swimming with their normal human legs until they are "discovered", they'll also glitch when bathing, popping awkwardly out of the tub and bathing in mid-air!

oF49RIw.png
    1RjsADC.png
  • Options
    I just saw my Toddler playing Wave Tag at the Ocean. They now also get those Imagination Images when they play in the Ocean. Haven't seen either of these before.
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited July 2019
    Apparently mermaids can snorkel... assuming they haven't yet been "outed" as a mermaid.

4poTJnR.png
    R2HZvqQ.png

In fact, the mermaid sim I was playing autonomously decided to go snorkeling.

Lh07VjF.png
    J7lMbQN.png
    hM8MxgB.png

Option is still there even after cheating him into his mermaid form

f9bFEkC.png
    Post edited by WaitWhatYT on
  • Options
    Don't bother diving for seashells if you just do it for money. You earn tons of money quickly by just finding them in spawn points on the islands.
    Seems to be a glitch (I think they're supposed to fade away after awhile so you only can find one, but instead you can find 5-10 shells stacked in the same spot).
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Did you know your Sims get pixelated underwater? Stupid, really getting sick of it.
  • Options
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    Ever since I got Island Living, I noticed the Sims on the Island will eat rotten food. My Sims never used to eatten rotten food, one taste and they would stop eatting. Is this a bug?

It may be.

Oh, I just read on EA Questions this issue started happening after the June patch. My oh my.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sims-keep-eating-spoiled-food/td-p/7969088
  • Options
    MaedMaed Posts: 33 Member
    You don't have to be in the Conservationist career to clean up the island. If your sims comb the beach for trash enough times, you will get the notifications that the island is improving. They also have the chance to dig up buried treasure for a collection while doing so.