Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Did You Know Thread On Island Living

Comments

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Not sure if anyone posted this one but it was hilarious. When your sims blow the conch shell near a mermaid, they will react with a weird squeak.

Ugh I had another one but I forgot it already...lol
    oh yeah this one I was surprised about. Teens cannot drink the kava or make it. I guess it is considered an adult beverage..LOL
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited June 2019
    Skating rinks will spawn in Sulani if you have Seasons installed.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone posted this one but it was hilarious. When your sims blow the conch shell near a mermaid, they will react with a weird squeak.

Ugh I had another one but I forgot it already...lol

I find it funny how mermaids get outted that way and start derping with a dolphin squeak.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    edited June 2019
    Wow, I did not know about that. Why did they keep this a secret? This is a very cool new feature. I knew about the grants but nothing about the new policies. Thanks for the info @LadyKyn ! This makes the conservationist career much more interesting.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Wow, I did not know about that. Why did they keep this a secret? This is a very cool new feature. I knew about the grants but nothing about the new policies. Thanks for the info @LadyKyn ! This makes the conservationist career much more interesting.

Yep~ There's a LOT more to this career than what we've seen. The Marine biologist is a bit more hands than the environmental manager, which you'll be using a lot more fitness skill and the like for the latter. Makes me wish sims were able to pass laws a bit more when in the politic career from city living.

Time to start banning all the sims from fishing and turning their power off at midnight. >:)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2019
    keekee53 wrote: »
    oh yeah this one I was surprised about. Teens cannot drink the kava or make it. I guess it is considered an adult beverage..LOL

Yeah, It is an adult beverage. Ive had it before in R/L ...it tastes very earthy, and has similar effects as alcohol. But its not alcohol
    Post edited by randy2355 on
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    edited June 2019

How to do that?

Nevermind, there's a video link. Rotating them? I've hoped it'll be actually opening them. In live mode. This is just meh.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    you get reward traits for the new career
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but :smile:

When the volcano erupts if you're lucky enough to get a storm afterward, it cools all those lava bombs. When you open them the rewards you find are huge, I got a tank load of crystals from one. I also found a potion of youth in the waterfall looking for frogs! (Which when I finally turn the aging on will come in useful!)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    If you go the way of the Enviromental Manager when you get to select your branch in the Conservationist Career you can pass policies (there's also a added requirement for charisma too.) You can only do it every twelve hours though.
    bwGgJsl.png

You can actually ban sims from fishing from certain times and they can even be fined and apparently an energy curfew where the power shuts off at 12am. This is hilarious to me. I'm going to abuse this so much. :lol: though it may take a few days to have a policy passed. Though nice thing is it effects the sims in the world too.

You can also apply for grants.

Whaat! How cool is that =D

Also, I just discovered this!
    6DZdsOC.png
  • JulianneALeeJulianneALee Posts: 109 Member
    There's a few items appliances wise that can work with off the grid trait.

Fridges (The one that looks more like a ice box) and a stove, but it'll most likely be trial and error since the descriptions won't tell you what you can and can't use. Might have to take an educated guess. :)

The Buy/Build catalog notes what is functional off the grid.
    Julianne Lee
    Simmer since 2001
    edited June 2019
    There's a few items appliances wise that can work with off the grid trait.

Fridges (The one that looks more like a ice box) and a stove, but it'll most likely be trial and error since the descriptions won't tell you what you can and can't use. Might have to take an educated guess. :)

The Buy/Build catalog notes what is functional off the grid.

Yes but there's quite a few things that work even though it's not mentioned in their descriptions. Although I really don't know why they didn't just add the descriptions in for everything (or, better yet, why they didn't just add an Off the Grid category, but well.. :D
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    My environmental manager developed thalassophobia on a date at the Bluffs, and doesn't like deep seas so much now.
    At least she isn't a marine biologist.

3rWMNR4.png
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    You can edit nature documentaries with the video station from Get Famous. Sounds obvious but I'm glad !
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    yeah, i just found that one out, myself, @happyopi, though i didn't do any editing with it (the sim is one i'm playing just to get some specific items into my marine research lab before deleting him, so only poke at a few things. and, for fun, i named the only nature documentary 'coyote ain't got nuthin' on me!'... and now i want to make coyote peterson and his crew as some of my townie conservationists...

anyway, on the 'did you know' theme... the turtle statue someone pointed out previously actually marks the beach where turtle hatchings occur once the island is at 100% conservation. i had the hatching happen in early fall in my game, but dunno if it's tied to seasons if you have that pack or not

and, did you know there's a 'sulani mana' reward trait available to sims with the 'child of the islands' trait if they do enough for the island culture and constantly please the island elementals. it allows the sim to summon lava bombs (with a long cooldown) and...has some interaction with plants that i've been too distracted to test fully
    edited June 2019
    happyopi wrote: »
    You can edit nature documentaries with the video station from Get Famous. Sounds obvious but I'm glad !

Cool - I didn't even know there were any nature documentaries to edit. I need to play more (why oh why did my holidays end???).
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member

How to do that?

Nevermind, there's a video link. Rotating them? I've hoped it'll be actually opening them. In live mode. This is just meh.

Wait, so in order to have them opened or closed you have to rotate them in build mode? I agree that is kind of meh. I was so excited to try this out when I saw this. Oh well.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    happyopi wrote: »

I saw the notification that my Sim could do that but didn't know how to, thanks.
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    Tofu tacos will give your sim the fresh catch moodlet! Perfect for children of the ocean who don't want to eat fish. :)
    With testingcheats you can shift click on your sim and give them a tan and sunburn. You can also remove those.
    If you go the way of the Enviromental Manager when you get to select your branch in the Conservationist Career you can pass policies (there's also a added requirement for charisma too.) You can only do it every twelve hours though.
    bwGgJsl.png

You can actually ban sims from fishing from certain times and they can even be fined and apparently an energy curfew where the power shuts off at 12am. This is hilarious to me. I'm going to abuse this so much. :lol: though it may take a few days to have a policy passed. Though nice thing is it effects the sims in the world too.

You can also apply for grants.

That totally made the career interesting for me LOL
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,653 Member
    Where do you find the jetskis?
    MLgj4Vx.png