Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think the water perspective is off?

MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
I’m watching a few gameplay videos and the water looks odd to me. Of course it still looks like jelly, but it always did. I just feel like when simmers are viewing from sim eye level or approximate, the water is above ground level, looks either solid green or weirdly transparent with a line edge. Also, fish look like they’re set in jelly while “swimming” unless you’re viewing from top down.

I’m still super excited for this pack - beach culture is my life and I can’t imagine not living on the coast - but I’m hoping it gets an upgrade.

I dunno, do you guys think it looks weird, or nah?

Do you think the water perspective is off? 64 votes

Yes - perspective is confusing
18%
elanorbretondrake_mccartyDrewRowlandvcosleypajamajam07taydevspice3CaityTrinaMoonfoxNightcryPalmArrowsimms745izecson 12 votes
No - water looks natural
62%
Akl500PicmnfrshIcewolfIsb917CorkysPetalsBloosmoofriendlysimmersJesskiluthienrisingVuloriLizzychicagoJennyggashcrash19DillynJamesThenyoukissmeTrimothTomaTerimariajane216AngelEb95Evaliyn 40 votes
Other - explain in comments
18%
Simburiangoodcakebaker62SimplyTorisunspriterSweetieWright_84SindocatLatinaBunnycatmando830Internal_ChaosBOYSimAlexandriaSimmingal 12 votes

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Refraction in water. Google it.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited June 2019
    No - water looks natural
    Not once have I ever seen anyone say it looks like "jelly". Whatever that means.

Your eyes must have a filter mine dont.
    Post edited by EnjoyfulSimmer on
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2019
    Wow. You guys are rude.

I was just asking a question.

Edit: You have every right to disagree with me but maybe phrase it better? I understand refraction perfectly well, I’ve got a science degree. I just think that the water lacks movement beneath the absolute surface layer. I can see they’ve gone for a “drop off” in water depth but it’s poorly executed. I’m glad you guys don’t see that, but it’s annoying me. No unique “filter”, just eyes that grew up staring at the ocean.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Disclaimer: I am not looking at the Island Living stuff yet, to keep from getting carried away and buying it in advance of what I budget for games.

That said, modelling fluids is hard. I do notice just swimming laps in the pool that water looks a bit cartoony. (But, to be honest, only after my sis, playing over my shoulder, drew my attention to it).

But The Sims is a little cartoony, altogether, so I find it easy to accept.
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    Yeah, I can imagine how hard it would be. I was just googling pictures to figure out what is was that I thought looked strange and I think it's just a lack of depth? Which would be incredibly hard to convey in sims style. But they managed better in TS3:

670?cb=20170101131250
    ^ Refraction under the water

u4g6CZd.png
    wHvLLtV.png
    ^ No refraction, just blurred edges

3_TS3_IslandParadise_DevBlog2.jpg
    ^ Water viewed from eye level/ground level: can see through water to a point, then water gradually reflects sky and darkens to show depth.

8ARWs1v.png
    ^ No reflection of sky, you can see through the water all the way to the island? It looks like it's all above the sand level at the shoreline.

ak3s7J6.png
    ^ Sand is darker around waterline

EfHeKvw.png
    ^ Single colour sand.

Look, I know it's nitpicky. I just can't unsee it. Hopefully the pictures do a better job of explaining what I mean.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    No - water looks natural
    It looks fine for the most part but sometimes there are places where the water seems to be floating. It could just be a mesh error and they didn't fix it properly.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    No - water looks natural
    I wouldn't really call the TS3 pic you showed to be refraction. That's more like just a ripple effect. It's just that TS4 has less of it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    The water is certainly not natural looking, but I guess it cannot be the same as in ts3 because of the style of ts4, it would look kinda odd.

IMO it does look like they are moving through partially set jelly. And the way the floats sit on the water - I don't know what is wrong with that, but something just doesn't look right.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    Wow. You guys are rude.

I was just asking a question.

Edit: You have every right to disagree with me but maybe phrase it better? I understand refraction perfectly well, I’ve got a science degree. I just think that the water lacks movement beneath the absolute surface layer. I can see they’ve gone for a “drop off” in water depth but it’s poorly executed. I’m glad you guys don’t see that, but it’s annoying me. No unique “filter”, just eyes that grew up staring at the ocean.

Sorry @MoonfoxNightcry Didn't mean to be rude but I had mentioned it several times before in threads. I found I'm getting more and more used to it after watching several game-changer videos and won't bother about it at all after a while. I can understand, a bit, why they did it this way for game purposes. Easier to cursor click on an object or Sim over, half in and out, or under water probably.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Cannot really judge until I play it myself as video compression can cause issues like this.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    Idk I felt like it looked off in trailer but then I watched couple game changer vids and it isn't as bad in those so I think I will be okay
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    No - water looks natural
    I guess I never noticed it because TS4 has a fairly cartoonish art aesthetic. Even the clouds and background landscapes have a certain painted backdrop appearance. I will say this, maybe 2-3 years ago a patch(?) changed the appearance of the water surface. Other people noticed it too.
  • PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    No - water looks natural
    I actually prefer the way it looks like in TS4. Crystal clear water is gorgeous!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I picked other because I thought it looked like that in some scenes in the trailer but not in others. And I didn't really notice it in the let's play. But yeah the perspective thing really threw me off on a couple of scenes. However I also really really like it and prefer this look because it somehow just makes it look more cartoony which is the style that I prefer. So yes I think it looks a bit like jelly and it sometimes looks like the water is Defying Gravity and Rising or something weird, but not in all scenes and I liked it like that haha
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    I never paid attention to it not that I do not care, for me if Sims 4 is to be top of it's class it should not come half stepping.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2019
    I see some bits, but I never really noticed it enough to be a game breaker.

Eh, I don’t think I see all of the flaws, but it’s something I barely noticed.

No biggie for me. I’m too excited about all of the content in the pack.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    No - water looks natural
    Does it look like it would in the real world? No, it doesn't -- in multiple ways. But in the context of Sims 4, it looks natural to me: different enough that my brain says "ocean water," but not so different as to feel overly realistic compared to the rest of the game.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Yeah, I can imagine how hard it would be. I was just googling pictures to figure out what is was that I thought looked strange and I think it's just a lack of depth? Which would be incredibly hard to convey in sims style. But they managed better in TS3:

670?cb=20170101131250
    ^ Refraction under the water

u4g6CZd.png
    wHvLLtV.png
    ^ No refraction, just blurred edges

3_TS3_IslandParadise_DevBlog2.jpg
    ^ Water viewed from eye level/ground level: can see through water to a point, then water gradually reflects sky and darkens to show depth.

8ARWs1v.png
    ^ No reflection of sky, you can see through the water all the way to the island? It looks like it's all above the sand level at the shoreline.

ak3s7J6.png
    ^ Sand is darker around waterline

EfHeKvw.png
    ^ Single colour sand.

Look, I know it's nitpicky. I just can't unsee it. Hopefully the pictures do a better job of explaining what I mean.

the fifth picture is exactly what I noticed the most. When I see this it looks like she should be in the Water swimming until you noticed her feet are on the sand in front of it. It looks like some kind of wall of water or something. But that being said, it doesn't bother me
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I think it looks good. It goes with the over all look of the Sims 4.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Could u share one of thee videos you are referring to? I would like to see :)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No - water looks natural
    It looks "natural" to the art style of Sims 4. It's beautiful.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I see what you mean but it's not nearly as bad as the whole Toddler Stuff ball pit fiasco, so I'm good...lol.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited June 2019
    No - water looks natural
    I think it looks fine, but you also have to remember as Plumbella pointed out in her GC play through that this is a pre-release version and they may not have finished fine tuning everything just yet.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I think I've had like 1-2 moments during the game changer footage where I also thought "hm that looked a bit odd there", but then generally it's just so gorgeous and detailed that I probably won't notice it while playing. You might certainly have a point but I'm not entirely sure so I'm not gonna vote.
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    It's simple, making actual realistic water isn't their goal. While it does suit the sims 4, including reflections and refraction wouldn't have "broke" the style of it, it's just a matter of priorities. Finished a workable "fluid" for sims to be in, spend time making it look better (which many of the fanbase has shown they don't care about) or move to more content/features they can plaster on the product.
    In typical sims 4 fashion it's good but can always be better. Same with the mermaid transformation in the ocean, it just switched to the tail when a simple particle system can be used with bubbles that rotate around the lower half to make it more appealing (which is fine, it just looks like they put in pants instead of magically transforming to a mermaid).

For ts3 realistic graphics was one of their selling points so they focused on it more.
    caitytrina.png