Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What holidays do you plan on creating for Island Living?

Hey guys, so I’ve been thinking about ideas to play for when IL releases. I definitely plan on creating a sim who is a native on the island. That being said I want to base holidays that came with seasons around the Polynesian culture. I don’t know of any but I do plan to look some up. I was wondering if anyone knows of any culture related holidays? Also, what’s everyone else’s plan? Do you plan to create holidays based on the culture of the island or just stick to your normal holidays?

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Honor The Ancestors, one ever season for the Elemental ghost thingies that come in the pack. Like, Honor the Fire, or Honor the Water, etc.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• yuppyupp Posts: 570 Member
    Honor The Ancestors, one ever season for the Elemental ghost thingies that come in the pack. Like, Honor the Fire, or Honor the Water, etc.

That’s a good idea. I wonder if island living will add new traditions to the holiday system.
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    It would really depend on the traditions included with the expansion, if any. I already have a "Midsummer" holiday that this expansion could integrate very nicely into if they include things like ocean/beach activities and sunbathing. On the other hand, if they have traditions more in-line with the culture of the world then I will definitely make a unique holiday using them. :)

I just hope we do get new traditions. I'd like to think they will expand on the holiday system like they have with clubs.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
    It would really depend on the traditions included with the expansion, if any. I already have a "Midsummer" holiday that this expansion could integrate very nicely into if they include things like ocean/beach activities and sunbathing. On the other hand, if they have traditions more in-line with the culture of the world then I will definitely make a unique holiday using them. :)

I just hope we do get new traditions. I'd like to think they will expand on the holiday system like they have with clubs.

Well we do have water play as an activity already. It’s be cool to make a holiday with water play, fire. And drinking. You could use the new fire pit and for fire dancing and have sims drink kava and swim in the ocean
  • bsasinbsasin Posts: 33 Member
    I was thinking I may skip holidays in general on the island. I heard that the island has community events every day—fishing tournaments, barbecues, etc. So the island itself may sort of fulfill that need. I may add like a remembrance holiday or similar and leave it at that.
    bsasin wrote: »
    I was thinking I may skip holidays in general on the island. I heard that the island has community events every day—fishing tournaments, barbecues, etc. So the island itself may sort of fulfill that need. I may add like a remembrance holiday or similar and leave it at that.

That’s also a good idea. Yeah, I only want to add 1-2 holidays. Just something that deepens the cultural feel I guess.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Something to appease the Volcano gods?
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'm going to be sticking to my own holidays which are the major holidays from my country. Sulani is just going to be used as a vacation world for me anyway, so I won't be making any new holidays for that specific world. But they have a lot of their own special cultural events, so I think it'll be interesting enough without any new ones.
  • mariajane216mariajane216 Posts: 83 Member
    I want to make a Beach Day holiday where I'll have all my sims not living in Sulani spend a day at the beach
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    One holiday I was thinking of creating was a Beach Cleanup Day.
    One holiday I was thinking of creating was a Beach Cleanup Day.

That’s awesome because we do have the cleaning tradition.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    I hope they add more traditions to the holiday planner. I'd like to make a 'love your island' day where Sims (who aren't in the conservationist career) gather together to clean up beaches and celebrate the beauty of their environment. An 'honour the ancestors' day seems really good, too, @nerdfashion
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    summer beach holidays
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• suzyl3suzyl3 Posts: 513 Member
    Beach cleanup day, water fun day (Can someone come up with a better name for me?). I'm in this thread for more ideas!
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    was thinking of making a holiday for the mermaids. I have one for my aliens.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Mutt98Mutt98 Posts: 7 New Member
    The only thing I can think of is Pa Wars, which is a marae vs marae sporting event, i don’t know how well it would work as I can’t think of many “vs” activities that you can do, but you could look at it for inspiration!
  • Mutt98Mutt98 Posts: 7 New Member
    You could also try and do a family/community gathering thing? (I’m not sure what the options are for setting holidays - haven’t played lately as computer’s broken) kind of like the gathering of the Iwi, I went with my partner when his Iwi gathered and it was really good fun, they do it every year and they just eat and catch up and sing songs!
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member

Elemental - WHAT?! What "Elemental ghost thingies" and how did you find out about them?!
  • queenvortex808queenvortex808 Posts: 1,033 Member
    I think I will make a holiday for mermaids...
    I play on PS4! Otaku here! From the lands of Canada 🇨🇦
    Haha, you clicked, now you have to read all my Sword Art Online fan fiction!
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I already have a Farmer's Market Day in late spring, which is meant to be a rough approximation of Earth Day, but I will probably tweak the traditions for that to include beach cleanup, at a minimum.

I'm considering creating a Beach Holiday in summer, but I already have a Summer Vacation Day, and I might just add a second one of those, so that my sims still have flexibility in whether to go to the mountains, the jungle, or the beach. I don't want my sims crying because they can't afford to go on the right type of vacation. :D
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Clean up day is such a good idea! So far I’ve just had my eye on things like the water fun tradition and the bbq and fire ones. I’d like to add some holidays that are definitely bbq or party themed especially in saves where the world will just be used as a vacation to add to the whole summer holiday feel.
  • paleplantpaleplant Posts: 17 Member
    I have a sim who's people were forced to leave the island because of invaders but now the children of those invaders are inviting the them back. They want to right the wrong which was done to the original inhabitants and for them all to live in peace together. So, I'm going to have a holiday every year which celebrates the islanders return to their home land and their friendship with the people who were once their enemies.
    EA ID: Angelictrait
  • thenameslynith13thenameslynith13 Posts: 55 Member
    > @paleplant said:
    > I have a sim who's people were forced to leave the island because of invaders but now the children of those invaders are inviting the them back. They want to right the wrong which was done to the original inhabitants and for them all to live in peace together. So, I'm going to have a holiday every year which celebrates the islanders return to their home land and their friendship with the people who were once their enemies.

That's such a neat idea! I feel like that would be a good story or movie to read/watch lol
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    suzyl3 wrote: »
    Beach cleanup day, water fun day (Can someone come up with a better name for me?). I'm in this thread for more ideas!

How about AquaFest?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)