Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living Q&A - Early Access!

Comments

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Can you do odd-jobs as well as having a full-time (or part-time) job?

Odd Jobs are available to anyone, teen and up, no matter their level of employment.

Awesome! thank you for the info :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Hi guys! Letting you know I have Early Access and have been playing most of today, so if you still have questions I'll try to answer them.

This is my gameplay so far...

I started out with a single male sim, Jaden Waverly, on the starter home near the volcano. He is now engaged to and living with Nalani (the Mersim from the trailer). Nalani is currently pregnant with their first child.

D'aww
    52f0969dbc.png

Jobs-wise Jaden is a level 4 Conservationist and Nalani is a level 1 Diver. They also have a sales table (the JA one looks great in this world) and sell the collectible minerals they find from lava bombs/spawns and any duplicate shells/treasures from beachcombing/diving/beach cleaning.

Surveying Algae
    4f611d61a4.png

I've tested out sand sculptures... A lot...

Sandcastles on Sulani
    170105c57b.png
    Sandcastles on Windenburg Coast
    492a59421d.png

Sandcastles on Brindleton Bay Coast
    b93b54d879.png

Sandcastles on Oasis Springs Coast
    f603e077fe.png

And... Sandcastles in the Middle of the Desert x2
    832775da05.png
    4cee00bb8a.png

Or... Sandcastles in the Middle of the City
    04751d9d49.png

Also swimming, snorkelling, and free diving/free diving for seashells. Jaden threw a Kava Party (only got Bronze due to a bug) and cooked on the pit BBQ. I attended the Fire Festival type cultural event. I've checked out the 2 new food stalls and both beaches. They also went for a date to the bar.

Could you show 2 sims kissing in the pool with the kiss in water interaction?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    So can you sun tan on any of the worlds if you have the pack?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Added some screenshots to my gameplay post above, if you've already read it.

I’m curious: how (if at all) do cats and dogs react to/interact with the sea?

Haven't tested it, but was told dogs can swim in the sea during the GC Exclusive Livestream.

Also, do mermaids have the same lifespan as a regular sim?

Looks like they have the same/similar lifespan as regular sims. Jaden has 12 days left 'til Adult and Nalani has 15, but she's in the 2nd trimester and there's age staggering of up to 4 days on all new sims.

@EmmaVane Thank you :) and that is awesome about dogs!
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

Yes. As long as it's daytime and not too cloudy.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Could you show 2 sims kissing in the pool with the kiss in water interaction?

I'm playing with 1 human and 1 Mersim, so can't show 2 humans atm. I have seen it in videos though and the animation looks the same for 2 humans as it does for a Mersim and another sim.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Can kids sit on the Kanu or do they have a kids boat?

Can kids swim better too after a certain skill Level?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Yes. As long as it's daytime and not too cloudy.
    Thanks Emma!❤️
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Can mermaids die of dehydration? Is that a new death type?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PreCiious wrote: »
    Can kids sit on the Kanu or do they have a kids boat?

Can kids swim better too after a certain skill Level?

I haven't seen kids in boats at all and haven't tried it myself.

Kids can use the new swim styles, but I don't know if they reset to the initial one once they become teens.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

According to the livestream, they give off a unique fishy smell which attracts cats when they lose hydration and begin to dry out. They ought to become parched with thirst and lose energy as well, but it is apparently really easy to restore their hydration: all they need to do is take a bath, have a drink of water or take a quick dip in the ocean.

I do love that one of their abilities is that they can talk to fish in tanks or bowls on land, as well as luring marine creatures to them in the sea.
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member

According to the livestream, they give off a unique fishy smell which attracts cats when they lose hydration and begin to dry out. They ought to become parched with thirst and lose energy as well, but it is apparently really easy to restore their hydration: all they need to do is take a bath, have a drink of water or take a quick dip in the ocean.

I do love that one of their abilities is that they can talk to fish in tanks or bowls on land, as well as luring marine creatures to them in the sea.

attracts cats... oh noes! Hahaha
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

attracts cats... oh noes! Hahaha

This may be bad of me, but I found it hilarious when I read it :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    B3L7A_G0thB3L7A_G0th Posts: 39 Member
    > @EmmaVane said:
    > There are no underwater lots to live on as a mermaid. There are no underwater lots, period.
    Why not? :(

> [Haven't gotten new 64X64 lot]

To be told that we would be getting something and then to find out we're not feels like being lied to. Besides that, there are so many things we could build with the new BB items in a bigger lot that not even 64X64 could accomplish.

Will we ever get custom sized lots? (I.e, build a single lot on an entire world's size, versus building on a 10X10 size)

> BUILD / BUY
    >
    > Are we getting...

> * New pool objects:
    > * Diving boards - NO
    > * Pool slides - NO
    > * Pool waterfalls - NO
    > * Solar Panels - NO
    > * Hammocks - NO (Or not that i've seen)

It seems strange that we wouldn't get these things in an expac that is likely to be improved by their addition. Or is there going to be another stuff pack with them instead?

And another thing, why can't we edit terrain on Water lots?

> MERSIMS

Is there going to be a relationships trait "Known Mermaid" like what relationships with one alien will have?
    My Sims ID is KillerRaven125

Send me a friend request on The Sims 3 Exchange website so we can share builds!

Check out my gallery on Sims 4! (Haven't been playing Sims 4 for about a year now as I recently "discovered" Sims 3)
  • Options
    B3L7A_G0thB3L7A_G0th Posts: 39 Member
    Why can't we have clothing optional on residential or clinic lots?
    My Sims ID is KillerRaven125

Send me a friend request on The Sims 3 Exchange website so we can share builds!

Check out my gallery on Sims 4! (Haven't been playing Sims 4 for about a year now as I recently "discovered" Sims 3)
  • Options
    I have a question; does the 'child of the island' trait cause sims to be unhappy when fishing/eating fish?
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I have a question about lot types. I’ve seen a few on Twitter say that the rental lot type is now available everywhere. Is this true? I haven’t seen it mentioned on here but saw screenshots from a twitter user. I’m getting this pack Monday and am wondering if it’s true or not.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    I have a question about lot types. I’ve seen a few on Twitter say that the rental lot type is now available everywhere. Is this true? I haven’t seen it mentioned on here but saw screenshots from a twitter user. I’m getting this pack Monday and am wondering if it’s true or not.

It's a bug I think. It shows up in the list but it doesn't work like a rental sadly. I was excited too.
  • Options
    aabroadyaabroady Posts: 59 Member
    I have a question; does the 'child of the island' trait cause sims to be unhappy when fishing/eating fish?

I've heard that "child of the ocean" does as well as being a mermaid (thus I haven't had my mermaid fish/eat fish). I don't know about "child of the island" though I would hope not since my mermaid (that has both "child of..." traits) gets a positive moodlet from eating the new Sulani pork dishes.
    tumblr_inline_pthe8zHeJT1rorsjo_1280.png
    Gallery ID: aabroady
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member

It's a bug I think. It shows up in the list but it doesn't work like a rental sadly. I was excited too.

Ah oh well. I figured it was something along those lines since I haven’t seen it mentioned all that much. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Options

Only the Child of the Ocean does this. Likely because they "feel closer to denizens of the sea."
  • Options
    B3L7A_G0th wrote: »
    Why can't we have clothing optional on residential or clinic lots?

Children are often on residential lots and sims can't be nude around kids. Not sure about vet clinics, but in the code pets count as dependants and are treated like children for things like moving and adoption rules, so this is likely why.
  • Options
    B3L7A_G0th wrote: »
    > @EmmaVane said:
    > There are no underwater lots to live on as a mermaid. There are no underwater lots, period.
    Why not? :(

> [Haven't gotten new 64X64 lot]

To be told that we would be getting something and then to find out we're not feels like being lied to. Besides that, there are so many things we could build with the new BB items in a bigger lot that not even 64X64 could accomplish.

Will we ever get custom sized lots? (I.e, build a single lot on an entire world's size, versus building on a 10X10 size)

> BUILD / BUY
    >
    > Are we getting...

> * New pool objects:
    > * Diving boards - NO
    > * Pool slides - NO
    > * Pool waterfalls - NO
    > * Solar Panels - NO
    > * Hammocks - NO (Or not that i've seen)

It seems strange that we wouldn't get these things in an expac that is likely to be improved by their addition. Or is there going to be another stuff pack with them instead?

And another thing, why can't we edit terrain on Water lots?

> MERSIMS

Is there going to be a relationships trait "Known Mermaid" like what relationships with one alien will have?

These are mainly questions better asked of the devs.

The last one I haven't checked, but I believe the discovery system is different and based on each played household. You won't see mersims in the world until the current household discovers their existence somehow. Nalani (and other townie mersims) had legs while swimming until I moved her into my household and "discovered" she was a mersim. Once I "knew" all mersims showed in game with their tails.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

This is a bug. Residential lots and Rental lots are actually the same lot type. If you place them in home worlds they are permanent homes and can only be purchased and moved into. If you place them in destination worlds they are rentals and can only be visited/rented on a daily basis.
  • Options

Only the Child of the Ocean does this. Likely because they "feel closer to denizens of the sea."

Phew. Thanks. :)