Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm Of Magic: Thoughts?

Comments

• TableTalk01TableTalk01 Posts: 5 New Member
    Am I the only one that wants a little bit of danger when I make a supernatural sim? I know it's old fashion, but want a little more risk. Maybe in a certain neighborhood or something, but (assuming the GP comes with a new neighborhood) you are safe and welcome there. I would also love a type of black market where you have to go buy your ingredients (assuming we have potions) like the flea market, but darker. You can sell your own plants, potions, or crafts. I also think it would be cool to have hybrid supernaturals. Half-witch, half-vampire. Not sure how it would work out, but it would be cool. I also need secret bookcase doors!!!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I do want half-witches, I wanted half-vampires (still kinda do), and I want half-mermaids even more.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    Am I the only one that wants a little bit of danger when I make a supernatural sim? I know it's old fashion, but want a little more risk. Maybe in a certain neighborhood or something, but (assuming the GP comes with a new neighborhood) you are safe and welcome there. I would also love a type of black market where you have to go buy your ingredients (assuming we have potions) like the flea market, but darker. You can sell your own plants, potions, or crafts. I also think it would be cool to have hybrid supernaturals. Half-witch, half-vampire. Not sure how it would work out, but it would be cool. I also need secret bookcase doors!!!

You're not alone! I'd love that. I've said on other threads that we need more risks/consequences. Magic should still keep the player on their toes, imo, otherwise it's boring to have something go right all the time. We have a bookcase door, but honestly it's kinda lame. Seeing a Sim actually push a book aside and pull a lever or something to go inside their secret lair would be neat. I wonder if Supernatural genes can carry over into the offspring like 3 did? That can be one way to get hybrids....
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I'd love it if there are also deadly spells, or dangerous ones, and the ability to have them backfire.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    There needs to be some very funny fails. :D
    > @AceOfKnaves said:
    > TableTalk01 wrote: »
    >
    > Am I the only one that wants a little bit of danger when I make a supernatural sim? I know it's old fashion, but want a little more risk. Maybe in a certain neighborhood or something, but (assuming the GP comes with a new neighborhood) you are safe and welcome there. I would also love a type of black market where you have to go buy your ingredients (assuming we have potions) like the flea market, but darker. You can sell your own plants, potions, or crafts. I also think it would be cool to have hybrid supernaturals. Half-witch, half-vampire. Not sure how it would work out, but it would be cool. I also need secret bookcase doors!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You're not alone! I'd love that. I've said on other threads that we need more risks/consequences. Magic should still keep the player on their toes, imo, otherwise it's boring to have something go right all the time. We have a bookcase door, but honestly it's kinda lame. Seeing a Sim actually push a book aside and pull a lever or something to go inside their secret lair would be neat. I wonder if Supernatural genes can carry over into the offspring like 3 did? That can be one way to get hybrids....

Yes! I want a bookcase like in TS2 where you pull a book and the whole shelf moves!
  • TubbieHeadTubbieHead Posts: 48 Member
    Really not interested in this pack but I'm happy for those who have been waiting for it.
  • GwacieWacieWooGwacieWacieWoo Posts: 2 New Member
    weirdly my first thought was fairies before witches. i know witches are more likely but i'd love to see fairies alongside them !! also would like so see some quirky magical objects, the return of bonehilda, just some of that simsy silliness along with it all would be cool. also really hope we get a small world like we did in vampires, but maybe in the centre of the witchy world there could be a little market for magical creatures selling odd magical items and potion ingredients??
    also you could use the reputation system from get famous to have two different paths for good witches and bad witches so they have different unlock-able abilities depending on which side they fall onto. kind of like the idea of bad witches turning green as well but i imagine a lot of other simmers would find that annoying lol. i just love me some wizard of oz references (and it reminds me of sims 2)
    so much potential
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    I'm so hyped for this pack! Can it be fall now? I really hope it's a good mix of the reputation system (good vs evil) and the vampire skill tree. We got three aspirations with vampires please give me at least two with realm of magic!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Well, not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't going to be a full expansion pack dedicated to magic and mystical beings and various spellcasters with a big, whimsical world. After waiting this long, I thought they might step it up.

That said, they could still do this kind of thing on a GP scale, and I do wonder if that's what they've done. Technically, to have a variety of magical beings, all you really need in Sims 4 are two main things:

1. A selection of magical power types. (And the animations.)

2. A lot of cool CAS customization.

So, in essence, if we get a selection of magical "branches", like nature magic, necromancy, conjuring and curses (for example), all we would need to do is go into CAS, choose our "magical being" (say I chose Elf), then I would go into the body alterations category and choose pointed ears, maybe choose some colorful, gleaming eyes, hair with feathers and beads, then choose some woodland clothing and traits. They would probably still have an optional dark form like the other Supernaturals have, so I could use that or ignore it. Lastly, I would select which branch of magic my Elf would like to use (or choose a path during gameplay, however it would work best)...say, Nature. This would allow him to affect plants, some weather, and maybe animals as well, and it would open up a progressive power tree similar to Vampires but a little smaller and more focused. And maybe, as the Sim gets stronger in the Mystical Arts, he can select a second power tree. And as he gets better at that, a third, etc.

I truly have no idea if this is anywhere close to what the pack is going to be like, but I kind of hope it is because I was really wishing for more flexibility and flavor and the thought of waiting until the end of the game's development to maybe get another Occult, and possibly never see Werewolves in Sims 4 is painful. But even if it's similar to this but doesn't include Mythological creatures and just a healthy variety of spellcasters, I guess I would be okay with that too.

But I seriously hope they've been working on some kind of Fear system and/or emotion to patch in before the pack comes out because every pack that releases that has something that Sims should be afraid of, and every time I play my Vampires, it just becomes more and more glaringly absent and I can't stand playing with sims who never fear anything ever, yet their pets do. And no doubt the trailer release for RoM will make it look like Sims are afraid or horrified, like they did with Spooky Stuff, and Jungle Adventures, and StrangerVille...but the gameplay will tell a different story. So I sincerely hope they have some serious base game additions planned ahead because I'm really losing faith.
    #Team Occult
  • JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2019
    I find it unlikely that the pack will include more than 1 supernatural (witches). But witches vary so much according to lore and culture that I think many other supernatural beings can be covered if they create a wide array of skills and invest in customization, as someone said above.

Ideally, I’d like magic itself not to be restricted to a certain type of sim, but to be a skill, or a set of skills that come in different varieties and evolve in different ways.

So, for example, progress in the alchemy path could, aside from enabling the sim to make more powerful potions/elixirs, unlock certain abilities as you level up, such as conjure up raw materials, turn an object into another, turn a sim into a frog/rat/whatever, bring a dead sim back to life in exchange for another sim’s life, manipulate lifespans by transferring days of life from onde sim to another, etc. The sim would level up through the routinely usage of the skills and the creation of a certain amount of elixirs/potions.

Progress in the “academic magic” path could unlock more traditional skills, such as levitation, teleportation, curses and blessings, mind reading, bending another sim’s will, etc. The sim would level up through the study of plenty of books and constant skill usage.

Progress in the “natural magic” path could unlock elemental magic (fire, ice, lightning, meteors, earthquakes, growing plants, etc.) and maybe enable more interactions with animals, allowing the sim to call them forth or talk to them. The sim would level up through constant skill usage and different activities related to the elements, such as going out in a storm to be hit by lightning, interacting with X fireplaces or standing through a heatwave outside, going out during a blizzard, fishing, swimming, hunting for collectibles, making snowmen, interacting with plants and animals, etc.

I think around 10 skills per path might be enough (vampires had 25 in total I guess, so 30 is not unrealistic, specially considering we’re talking about witches here).

All these paths could also be just different branches in a single skill tree.

I think this system (or something similar to it) would be a nice way to give each sim a unique experience and it doesn’t seem unfeasible for a game pack.

As for the world (which I hope accompanies the pack), I’d like a mountainy landscape with a few castles (5 lots would be fine, like forgotten hollow, as long as there’s a wide public area around them full of nice details to explore).

In regard to items, I’d appreciate lush outfits and furniture for the local nobility. And of course, some rags for the peasants.
    Post edited by JohnVanGould on
  • JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    It would also be really cool if the developing team made use of their experiment with Strangerville and created a small, short quest for obtaining magical powers. I mean, how fun would it be going to a cave/dungeon in the new world, talking to an ancient wizard/witch (in my dreams it would be a dragon, but I know it won’t), and getting him some collectibles/books/etc. in exchange for a lesson in magic?
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    liliaeth wrote: »
    hmmm, I'm divided between wanting to wait for fully fleshed out werewolves, or just wanting them as soon as possible as part of a general magic pack...

I'm feeling exactly the same.

The title leaves room for more than one occult so I am still kind of hoping against better judgement we might get werewolves as well, even if that means they might be less fleshed out.

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    I hope we will get pet dragons. I was so thrilled when we got them with making magic. I hope to see them return.
    I really feel the different specialties of magic. That was one thing I really missed in TS3 was ability to be a certain kind of witch. I loved when my spellbook would change colors from light to dark. I also hope that, going along with the risk, that if you were a certain type of witch, say an evil one for example, good witches could attack you, or deplete your powers somehow. Vice versa.

In terms of CAS, I need some cool old timey, witchy, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 clothing. (I really like the 🐸🐸🐸🐸, fortune teller career in TS3)

For the world, I would be cool with something like Forgotten Hollow but I wish there would be some type of passage that you can only use if you are supernatural and you travel to another world. Like the Forgotten Grotto in Willow Creek. Maybe there is where they have the black market or other lots for purchase. I would love to open a little potion store.

Also in gameplay. I want a familiar. Going back to the 'other witches can hurt you' if you have a familiar, it can protect you. I also want brooms...sooooo bad.

In buy mode, I want old stacks of books and furniture that may be old and ratty. I want floorboards that look like they need a good scrubbing! And this is where Bonehilda (or some type of magical being) could come clean your home. AND SPIRAL STAIRS!!! I miss those so much.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited June 2019
    AND SPIRAL STAIRS!!! I miss those so much.

I could see them giving us one spiral staircase in the pre-patch and a few more varieties in the pack (like they are doing with lounge chairs). This pack would be the perfect way to advertise them!

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    windweaver wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I'm super exited for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIwXl5JXuII

Hopefully it has some strong Makin Magic vibes! I can't wait to play with Witches.

Lyndsay worked on the original Makin Magic for The Sims. I bet this new one has things in it that will remind us of that pack. That was a great pack! I still have The Complete Sims game, but I haven't played it in years.

I'm very hopeful that this new pack will be a complete blast! After all the vampire pack was done so very well, that is lots of fun, so I've got great expectations for this new magic pack.

Quite possible! I remember that every now and then when they talked about it they definitely referenced Makin' Magic (either it being one of their favs, or that they just liked some features, etc.). I also really believe they take things from several iterations, and with a name like "Realm of Magic" instead of "The Sims 4 Witches" I just feel it's gonna take at least some cues fom Makin' Magic.

I hope you're right! But whatever they do, I'm sure I'm going to love it. It's the one I've been waiting for.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Luuciia1Luuciia1 Posts: 71 Member
    I got a little disappointed with the mermaids since i though they would be:
    a) as well cared for as it happen with vampires, with lots of abilities they can learn differentiate each other
    b) be able to live under water, something never done in the sims and always wanted -> but we can't even go under water and explore the origins of our mermaids -.-

So i am extremely scared for magic of realm, since we, gamers, have a lots of expectations and i feel they deliver just the minimum and don't usually deliver new exiting ideas just bring back what there was in the past. Another thing that i feel concern about is how well will they update features we already have in our game with upcoming games eg; seasons calendar and festivities, flower arranging, recipes, animals, veterinarians etc

This are just some thoughts and concerns.What do you think?
  • RavenchRavench Posts: 35 Member
    I am hoping we'll indeed be able to turn pets into familiars with special interactions and maybe some magical skills as well!
    It would also be cool if you could make some sort of cunning woman type of witch to whom other sims would actually come for medical and spiritual advice and remedies.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited June 2019
    Kinda hoping to see them expand on voodoo as the voodoo doll just left me wanting for a little bit more. :* Also hoping for a variety in magic and spells that aren't just needs related. Wanna curse sims. :naughty:

Hoping for a toggle as occults in s3 just ran rapid and multiplied. Even just having vampires somehow the whole town just started randomly turning into vampires.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • MizzSammii3MizzSammii3 Posts: 26 Member
    OMG! I was just saying to myself the other day that I really wish I had the ability to make witches... because maaan I miss them Sims 3 days with my vampiric alien witch households lmao.

This is such exciting news! God, I hope it doesn't suck! Fingers crossed that they will make a great pack like the vampires one!
  • MortimerGothMortimerGoth Posts: 80 Member
    It's great they're listening to supernatural fans and providing another life state. Personally, though, I'm not a fan of the idea of rationing out supernaturals pack by pack. I would rather have an EP like TS3: Supernatural, which would add all the main life states and a themed world etc.

I think overall I will stick with the Sims 3 for supernatural play.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I have a feeling this pack is going to be really good. I feel like the devs actually want to talk about it but can't. I've seen at least three Gurus all express genuine excitement for it (at least from my own observations) and when that happens it doesn't disappoint. At least not for me. I can't wait to hear more about it. If it's anything like Vampires it will be a huge asset to the game for Supernatural players. Vampires holds my game together by itself, it would awesome to have a good expansion to compliment it.
    #Team Occult
  • joolsroxjoolsrox Posts: 14 New Member
    Witches!!! and hopefully werewolves too! I hope they make it be able to work well alongside with vampires.
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I'm so much more excited for this than IL (I'm excited for that but nowhere near as much). I created a couple when I first got vampires of a Vampire and his boyfriend except I always wanted the boyfriend to be a witch (but I guess maybe not know he was a witch idk). Either way I've wanted this for a LONG time so I'm so excited and a part of me does think it's more than 1 occult but I'd still be okay even if it wasn't.