Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do people know you play the sims?

I cant remember the thread that made me ask this but I do remember seeing how many simmers do not tell people they play the game.

I am one of those people as well. Nobody in real life knows I play the sims or that I use it as a way to escape real life issues. I also do not know of anyone else who enjoys the game neither.

2llotup.jpg
The Best of Hunni's Builds
Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)

Do people know you play the sims? 369 votes

Yes, i am not ashamed
74%
auroraael14Frn0731icmnfrshBluefairy286jasasimsGoth583IcewolfLaBlue0314SamadamsPlayerIceyJaprilrosexbecky685xstoryyBlkBarbiegalmagooo63HowGreatThouArtColorist40haloujaAprilDawnAngel_mix 274 votes
No, I prefer to keep it a secret
10%
alexspoom13SimmervilleAnnie2008AntoniaBaybeeBagoas77NivyxCinebarScarbo27FroggyKarenhunniboo1NoTalentBekahSueCsibeubi3LindsaySeddon1becks1112TomaTeriCogshellOldeseadoggemebagl15FurSimsOfficial 38 votes
Other:
15%
CK213GalacticGalMontrase102asimbsimThunderbat87elanorbretonalanmichael1ldmarkoRevenwynBriel24LolaLuvsSimsCaityTrinafallenangel66BlueSeaWavesMissmagoo2TLM08texxx78luxsylvanEnkiSchmidtMelpomena 57 votes

Comments

• Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    I don’t know anyone else that plays, but I have friends that have played the game. This is just a hobby like any other, so I don’t feel the need to keep quiet about it :).
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Other:
    Some people know my family are gamers, so they know what games the family owns. With a husband and kids, we all play it at some point anyway.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Other:
    No, but not because I keep it a secret. No one ever asked. Most of the people I know don't play games anyway so the topic doesn't really come up.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    What the....hiding that you play the sims? Ashamed? I'm so confused. I didn't realize this was a thing. My exhusband plays. I'm introverted so I dont have a huge amount of people that I know who play sims, but why would anyone be ashamed or hide it? That is so weird.
  • Options
    Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    No one would care, and some of them even play it themselves ;) It was even my ex girlfriend who got me really interested in it back when and I was stuck with it ever since, that's her legacy now haha... :)
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    i can understand why someone might hide it. ive been made fun of for playing before ( by my "real gamer" friends from another game I play.) There is a stigma that the game is for girls or kids or whatever. I don't really care what others say or think though. Life is too short to live in the shadows like that.
  • Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    Yes, I've always been playing it whenever anybody came in my room or stayed over.
    I was also amazed and proud the first time I went to my boyfriends house and seen he had every game expansion and pack for The Sims 3.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    There’s nothing to be ashamed about here in my opinion! Plus everyone I talk to plays as well, even my psychologist so there’s always a discussion topic!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Other:
    I don't keep it as a secret. If people ask me or if the matter comes up, I say it. But I don't go talking about it everytime everywhere either.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    It's not really a secret. Back in the days of TS1 and TS2 lots of people knew, as I created CC and even was invited over to US for some TS2 release event. I think I even told my work colleges. With TS3 and TS4 I'm not really creating stuff, except videos on TS4, so it just doesn't feel all that natural to bring it up when I meet friends and family. And - if I knew other simmers in RL, I'm not so sure that I would like to listen to their gaming either, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    Other:
    Cupid wrote: »
    No, but not because I keep it a secret. No one ever asked. Most of the people I know don't play games anyway so the topic doesn't really come up.
    This is the same for me, my family knows but as for anyone else, they don’t play games
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    My family know. As for friends I have none in real life so that's not really an issue. :D
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    Of course. Not like I tell everyone out of the blue, but I've told everyone I know who's into video games like me. Some roll their eyes, but I don't care. xD
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Only my sister knows.
  • Options
    gimmiemoreblairgimmiemoreblair Posts: 53 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    I tell people if it comes up that I play the sims, I honestly don't think that theres anything to be embarrassed about! It's a widely played game by so many people as well.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    I do. And I'll happily explain why - that it's a great creative outlet and has no end :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    I'm sure there are people who know me that wish I didn't talk about sims so much...
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Other:
    I don't go around broadcasting it to everyone I meet, but people who know me closely know I'm a simmer. I could probably count those people on one hand.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    Reksoh wrote: »
    i can understand why someone might hide it. ive been made fun of for playing before ( by my "real gamer" friends from another game I play.) There is a stigma that the game is for girls or kids or whatever. I don't really care what others say or think though. Life is too short to live in the shadows like that.

That makes sense. If anything is seen as for women it tends to be invalidated or pushed aside by society in general. Probably why, despite sims success, EA themselves seem embarrassed by it putting their more male sports games in the spotlight. Sims is always mentioned last or mostly not at all by the company.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

My family knows I play the Sims. People I work with no way.

I just started telling some friends that I am a gamer. Its a gentle way of saying I play the Sims.

My brother at a party announced that I play with little people on the computer. :s People that do not Play Sims games or know someone that does, do not understand the Sims.

My mom secretly thinks I am a bit nuts because my brother also told her I take them to pee lol maybe she is right. My oldest sister rather not talk about the Sims games she thinks they are dirty..?? I got tired of trying to explain even preteens play the Sims.
    Sometimes to be rude when she knows I am not listing to her over the phone she would ask me Are you playing that game?

Although its millions of Simmers I think the adult simmers are kind of like a secret society haha.?

we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Other:
    My kid knows, if someone asked what games I play I would tell them (with a couple of exception for 2 or 3 ppl) but the topic of gaming doesn't come up usually so haven't mentioned it other than to 1 or 2 of my friends.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    My family & any of my friends who follow me on Facebook know. I see no reason to feel embarrassed about it. If being a 47 yr old summer is wrong, I don't wanna be right! 😊
  • Options
    stephanie132392stephanie132392 Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    Everyone knows I play the Sims, my family, my friends, my coworkers even the neighbors! There's nothing to be ashamed about a game that makes me feel happy :)
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    Yes, why wouldn't they? I know their interests. I'll strike up a conversation with a random person and computers and sims comes up often.

Matter of fact, we was upgrading our home security system mid-May and the installation guy's name was Sam (which he gets 10 points for having a Winchester brother name) and he saw our computer setups and asked if we were gamers.

My husband said, Yes we were gamers. Sam replied, "Those are pretty fancy setups!" We began talking about gaming and how it's an expensive hobby if you really get into it (which I have). At which my husband said, "Yeah, not to mention the thousands of dollars I've spent on Sims stuff over the years!" And come to find out, Sam plays sims, as well. He's been a simmer since Sims 1 days, too. And he's played every series. So we had a lot to talk about.

I have no idea how computers and Sims generally come up in my conversations with random people, but it really does come up often.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Yes, i am not ashamed
    I don't know anyone else who owns the game. I am in college, but when I'm home I let my younger siblings play on my account. They enjoy it. My mom doesn't really like the game because she says that I enabled them to waste too much time on it when I'm home, but we've compromised and I just don't tell anyone my password so that they have to ask permission to play and I can control how often they do it.
    Anyways...I've gotten off topic. I'm not ashamed to let my parents know I play anymore. I used to be, but I enjoy it and it's important to me so I let them know about it. I just don't let my parents watch me play. I'm not embarrassed of the game, but I'm worried that they'll think some things are strange about the game.
    At college my first semester I was embarrassed and wouldn't play in front of anyone, but this semester I decided I actually wanted to be able to play. It is an extremely rare occurrence for me to be completely alone in the house. One of my roommates brought her Switch and PS4 and plays that in the living room. So, I play my game too. I share a room with someone and have played while she's in there. I have another roommate who will ask to watch me play, but never watches for more than a few minutes.
    They don't judge me for it. We all have hobbies. This is one of mine. One of my roommates has become obsessed with doing puzzles and does they right on the kitchen counter.
    We're pretty laid back.
    I've even asked for money to buy a Sims expansion for my birthday in a few days. Why should I be ashamed? It's a video game in it's own right. People play other video games and aren't embarrassed of them. And I'm not going to be embarrassed of mine. Not anymore.