Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Warning for disallowed word?

So I'm currently doing the 100 baby challenge. One of the kids aged up to a teen and I didn't like his hairstyle so I thought I'd edit it. Once I did and tried to save the change,I got the "A sim name,last name or description contains a disallowed word. You won't be able to upload this household to the gallery" notification. Their last name is Navarro and their first names are:Chetanzi,Mankato,Neyeli,Cheyenne,Tobey and Elu. Am I missing something (as English isn't my first language) or is this a glitch?

Comments

• sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    It's not just English, there are banned words for other languages as well. I've had that happen to me a time or two and have no idea what word was "bad" as I only speak English.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    I've found that some religious names are banned. I made a jesus and devil household and got the same error. Also tried to name a kid Dio after Ronnie James Dio but it means god in Italian so maybe one of those names falls under the same thing
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I had a sim named Suki and her name was banned, apparently. You might write down each name and change them one at a time until you find the "offensive" word, just for curiosity sake.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I just entered them all into google translate (I set it on "detect language") and the only one that had meaning was Elu, which means Life in Estonian.

Obviously that's not a perfect method, but it's something.
  • dadvansdadvans Posts: 24 Member
    it wouldn't let me name a girl muffy lol honestly it's a bad name so well-played, maxis
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Muffy was a perfectly okay name in Harvest Moon DS. Tbh I never liked it, either, because it sounds like muffin. But by the time there was nothing wrong with it.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I made a nightclub that I named after a very colorful bird, but within the name of that bird was a word that wasn't allowed.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I have had that happen a few times for whatever reason. I wasn't using any obscene word I was aware of in the languages I know. I belonged to a forum years ago where somebody chose the name Oni which means demon in Japanese but in their language, it meant something totally different. I asked why they thought they were a demon? They took offence and I explained what it meant in Japanese and they explained the meaning in their language and apologized for being offended. I apologized for not considering so many other languages.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • alexjoanrowwalexjoanroww Posts: 63 Member
    Update: I followed @ChelleJo 's advice and tested all the names. Apparently Tobey was the dissallowed word.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Update: I followed @ChelleJo 's advice and tested all the names. Apparently Tobey was the dissallowed word.

???? Tobey?????????? lmao why in the world is Tobey disallowed lol
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,182 Member

The "Disallowed word" filter is faulty to all hell. I mean they had to change Nina and Dina's mother's name to Katrina just because we can't even say her original name on these forums because the first three letters of her name just so happen to be used as an alternative to calling someone the N-Word.

I imagine Tobey is disallowed because the word "Obey" is in his name and this filter goes "TOBEY?! BUT IT'S ONE LETTER AWAY FROM OBEY AND THAT'S NOT ALLOWED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    well part of a car word's isn't allowed(also the name of one of the 101 Dalmatians because of their tail). Nor is Simba's dad's name either.
    6adMCGP.gif

cheescaeks wrote: »
    Right?

@sunblond I forgot to mention it earlier but your profile pic is amazing!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    Right?

T.o.b.e.y without the "e" means your rear end.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Right?

Where I'm from Toby is a popular boys name. I'm well over 40 years old and I've never heard someone refer to their tush as a Toby. Must be a thing in other parts of the world.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    The sims 4 is for children?
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Right?

Where I'm from Toby is a popular boys name. I'm well over 40 years old and I've never heard someone refer to their tush as a Toby. Must be a thing in other parts of the world.

That's what I thought as well.
    leo3487 wrote: »
    The sims 4 is for children?

I don't know why you'd ask in the specific thread but I guess an older child could play sims. I played sims 2 when I was like 11 and I was fine. Looks like sims 4 would be okay for a child to play.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    I have had that happen a few times for whatever reason. I wasn't using any obscene word I was aware of in the languages I know. I belonged to a forum years ago where somebody chose the name Oni which means demon in Japanese but in their language, it meant something totally different. I asked why they thought they were a demon? They took offence and I explained what it meant in Japanese and they explained the meaning in their language and apologized for being offended. I apologized for not considering so many other languages.

It's not just "obscene" words -- words that are derogatory name for other races are also not allowed. I wanted to name a black cat Spooky but without the Y (my brother had friends that named their black cat that) but it wouldn't let me because the word was derogatory towards black people.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Mankato is a city in Minnesota, which in native it’s supposed to mean “blue earth.” So I’m sure that can’t be a reason why.
  • YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    the PC culture has gone, seriously, way too far.

-Yarden.
  • katzsimovichkatzsimovich Posts: 15 New Member
    > @alexjoanroww said:
    > Update: I followed @ChelleJo 's advice and tested all the names. Apparently Tobey was the dissallowed word.

?????????welp i guess i have to rename my dog now, didnt realize he had such an obscene name!
  • ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    This drives me CRAZY. All of you are right in that it's just one letter off from a bad word, usually. Recently I tried to name a cat Bizness which was disallowed, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I know they want to protect the community but this is way too stifling. Not sure why severely limiting our words was okay but allowing people to paint *anything* on animals was fine.

I mean, come on... Tobey? That's just wrong. These are real names here.
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    When everything is offensive, then nothing is. The censorship of the filter and the filter on this site is over the top. Many times I just say what anyone else would say and it gets filtered, and then shows the word plum as if I used a bad word. No, the filters are way too sensitive. We can say hell and other words but not some obscure word no one ever heard as bad, but just a common name of real people. If I were those people I would be offended they thought my name was offensive and demand it be included.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.