Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use the real world names for holidays or do you create new ones?

I got curious about this after watching some Let's Plays on Youtube. I noticed that most Simmers I watched online used the game's names for the pre-made holidays and created original names for additional ones they added. I personally use the real world names for my holidays; Winterfest was renamed to Christmas, Harvestfest to Thanksgiving, Love Day to Valentines Day. And any added holidays were given their traditional names as well.

So I wondered what percentage of the community sticks with the games names and how many use the traditional ones. So how are your holidays named?

Do you use the real world names for holidays or do you create new ones? 50 votes

Real World Names
28%
Isb917Anmirlatnb494texxx78lexus20Destin2016BabySquareChazzzyAllieSootieListentoToppDoggDianesimsMaiaPlaysSimsCheetahAlyssamissmonique88 14 votes
Different Names
26%
SimQueenie9JestTruCaityTrinaAavinaashannaliese39mariajane216domina89MDianaSimsFanPhoriaSimskristanerdfashionRouensims_starfrog 13 votes
Combination of both
46%
AbaadaiscLaBlue0314jeLlyBeAn1573MartinvelanorbretonMariefoxprice83NivyxloubylouloutaydevGlimmer50Ravager619PotterheadSimmebagl15RexZhengRae357KoteykaEvie0602Drakoskr823LoliGil 23 votes

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I just leave them with the names they have. I don't really go out of my way to make any associations between the game and the real world
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited May 2019
    I leave them the way they are and give my created holidays names similar to the default ones.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited May 2019
    Different Names
    Except for New Year's Eve, it's all different. My favorite is Egg Day. It just sounds so funny.]

Edit: They are the same as the one's the game made.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Different Names
    I like to go with The Sims theme e.g. Spooky Day for Halloween, Bunny Day for Easter, Leisure Day for Summer bank holiday etc. I usually play 14 days per season so I don't add many holidays though. If I played longer seasons one or two real names might come up that still fit with this theme e.g. Bonfire Night, Remembrance Day etc.
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Real World Names
    I use our holiday names. I found the Sim holiday names silly, which is weird because I like the fantastical elements of the Sims for the most part. But, I hated the holiday names. I mostly play on an extended version of the long lifespan, so I fix the holidays that they had and added some more of my own. I used the real names. They're more easily recognizable and make sense to me. I want my Sims to celebrate Christmas, not Winterfest. I don't know what Winterfest is. I don't relate to it. I only add holidays that I relatively like and I add traditions that my family actually celebrates. I don't know why this is important to me, but it is. I roll my eyes everytime someone refers to Winterfest or Love Day.
  • kr823kr823 Posts: 37 Member
    Combination of both
    I keep the premade holidays names as is, but when I make a new one I use its real name. Although sometimes I change love fest to valentines day.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Different Names
    I like using the different names, it feels more "simmy" to me. Some of my holidays aren't one to one perfect representations of real world holidays anyway--for instance, to have more holidays in summer, I basically split the general idea of the 4th of July into two different days, Summerfest and Celebration Day. I sometimes change Harvestfest to Autumnfest, and then add a Springfest (which is kinda like easter but also just a "Yay! Spring" type holiday where you garden and clean house and stuff) so I have a day celebrating each season, which is what I really want to do more than replicate real world holidays. Not that there isn't overlap, lol, Holiday traditions irl end up associated with the season. ut I kinda like the generic-ness of it--feels less limiting. Tbh, in the real world, my "Christmas" is more of a "Winterfest" anyway, so I'm fine with expanding and toning down the full "Christmasyness" in game too.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Real World Names
    It's nice to see the results, even if it's only a few so far. I'm glad I included the option to choose a combination of both since that's what it seems most people do, which makes sense since that's how the game naturally is with the default calendar. For real vs. different, it's nearly a tie right now, which is pretty interesting.

I also realized that I never gave my own reasoing for using the real world names, but tbh @MaiaPlaysSims said it perfectly.
    I used the real names. They're more easily recognizable and make sense to me. I want my Sims to celebrate Christmas, not Winterfest. I don't know what Winterfest is. I don't relate to it. I only add holidays that I relatively like and I add traditions that my family actually celebrates.

This is basically exactly how it is for me too. :)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Real World Names
    Real names
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Different Names
    I usually give the additional holidays I make a name ending in "fest". Like Springfest, Spooky Fest, Summerfest, etc.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Different Names
    I use parody/sim versions of holidays, and in some cases just not the English translation . I have
    - Prank day (April fools)
    - love day (Valentine's)
    - bunny day (easter)
    - llama day (independence/firework bqq)
    - bon voyage(travel)
    - harvestfest
    - spooky day(halloweeb)
    - Día de Muertos (remembrance)
    - deck the halls (decorate)
    - winterfest
    - New year's

I also need some holiday for music spirit and a name for a religious type holiday but I can't think of one, I don't want it directly to tie to any actual religion but I needa use traditions for fasting, candle lighting, ceremony etc.

I kept the premade holidays but deleted the randomly occurring prank day (cause I made my own) and tweaked their traditions
    caitytrina.png
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Different Names
    Springfest, Summerfest, Harvestfest, and Winterfest.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Real World Names
    Real world name if the holiday is a real world one, otherwise I invent my own name, ie SimNation Day.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • _starfrog_starfrog Posts: 84 Member
    Different Names
    usually i'm coming up with some ridiculous name that's obvious to what the theme is. i can't take credit for my Festivus though
    still using fabric softener
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    edited June 2019
    Combination of both
    I try to make the names have a sim theme but base them on real world names as much as possible. Simstivus comes to mind.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee