Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recommendations For New Players

SimGuruGeorge asked this question on Twitter and I thought it would be fun to see what forum members come up with.

Comments

• OO Posts: 4 New Member
    Well, I don't know, really. I was always playing for fun, getting to secret places just once to see what was there. Usually, I just play and create storylines between my sims.
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Yes lots of screenshots. Pause the game and experiment with angles and perspective in your shots. And remember to put your walls up. All my early shots I didn't pause or use walls and they look funny.

Start with a cat not a dog to learn pets. They need less help and attention and you can get used to caring for a pet.

The gallery is your best friend! Can't build can't cas well - other people make amazing stuff and it enhances your game play.

Don't make a club where the activity is singing and everyone has zero singing skill
    You will regret hearing what you hear for ever!
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    - Don’t get the cheapest stove, it’s a death trap waiting to happen.
    - There’s lots of different settings you can play with. Why not experiment a little and figure out how you like to play?
    - Start with more than one sim. This way if something happens to one of them (set on fire, at work, etc), you have another sim to help out.
    - There’s a magic tree somewhere in Willow Creek. Try and find it!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I second the taking lots of screenshots, and don't forget to share them here!

Eat lots of grilled cheese for a fun throwback to sims 2.

As for pack recommendations, Dine Out, Seasons, Cats and Dogs and Parenthood are all great for realism every day, but if you like supernatural stuff then Vampires is the pack for you.

Just avoid My first pet's stuff ;)

e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    turn on the whims in the options menu the sims isn't sims with out them
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Try to complete all the collections! There are a bunch of cool things you can find.
  • gimmiemoreblairgimmiemoreblair Posts: 53 Member
    if you are lazy but want to get your sim and another sims friendship up (without cheats) and have the get together pack, i suggest having the sims do star gazing/cloud gazing! gets their friendship up so much!!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2019
    If your Sim needs some quick simoleons, and you have the Get to Work EP, send them to fish at the pier in Magnolia Promenade! This spot has rare fish, plus you'll get Voodoo dolls, Dragonfruit and Cowberries in the mystery boxes, all worth big simoleons. They could sell it all, but I'd advise planting the Dragonfruit for a TON of simoleons in the long run. In that same vein, if you get the City Living EP, your Sims can find the rare Bird of Paradise at the Romance Festival.

If all you have is the base game, your Sim can fish up Dragonfruit at the way back fishing spot in Magnolia Blossom park in Willow Creek. Make sure they fish in the middle spot out of the three available there. There is also a rare fishing spot in the public area behind the Library in Willow Creek. It's next to a small cliff, down the hill from a picnic area.

Grafting for rare plants like that only has a 1% chance of producing the rare that you wanted. Why wait for what you 'might' get months later when they can have them now? :)

Also, just to expand on the very good advice from the above post, you'll need the Outdoor Retreat GP if your Sims want to cloudgaze/stargaze. That option isn't available in the Get Together EP.

Happy Simming Y'all! <3
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited May 2019
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    - Don’t get the cheapest stove, it’s a death trap waiting to happen.
    - There’s lots of different settings you can play with. Why not experiment a little and figure out how you like to play?
    - Start with more than one sim. This way if something happens to one of them (set on fire, at work, etc), you have another sim to help out.
    - There’s a magic tree somewhere in Willow Creek. Try and find it!

When just starting out with cooking, start with foods that don't require a stove. Yeah, that means a lot of garden salads but it's a good way to build a few skill points so you can make better meals while avoiding fires. Watch the Cooking Channel if you need to watch TV to build Fun, that way you're building cooking skill at the same time.

When your Sim gets some extra money, start updating your appliances, plumbing and furniture. If you're in a starter house get a better stove and refrigerator so you can make better meals and reduce fire risk. Next tackle the plumbing to get a showeror tub that'll help with hygiene and don't leave a Cold Shower moodlet. Then make sure you have a bed that doesn't leave you feeling uncomforable in the morning when you need to head to work. Also remember you'll want to have some of their career/skill building items at home so you don't have to leave the house all the time -- a computer if you're a writer or tech guru, an easel if you're a painter, etc. Some careers will actually give usable skill building items as rewards -- using those saves a lot of money layout. For example writing supplies a low-level but useful computer, and as you progress in the Painter career you'll get easels that increase in quality.

You don't need every type of venue in each world. You can have your gym in Oasis Springs, your museum in Willow Creek etc. You'll have Newcrest as an empty world, you can add some of the base game venues there. Remember to leave some vacant lots for future expansion like if you want to get Dine Out for restaurants or Bowling Night Stuff to make bowling alleys (you can zone them either as bars, lounges or nightclubs so they can do multiple duty).

If you download a residential lot from the Gallery, for an extra challenge place it in Unfurnished mode, then furnish it yourself, challenging yourself to stay within a certain price range. It's especially fun to do when you have a few packs under your belt, more than just Base Game.

If you get really stuck, you could look up some Let's Plays and other videos from around September/October of 2014 (when the game first released) on YouTube to see what other players did with just the Base Game.

There are some great online resources out there if you need some help with an aspect of the game. I really recommend Carl's Guide especially as you get more in depth and add content.

Finally, now that you have the base, keep an eye on Origin for good sales to pick up additional content. There are some great packs out there that can add more depth to your game or even just expand your Sims wardrobe and furniture choices.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    Get an Easel and paint paint paint, take an inspirational shower beforehand...money is so easy to be made this way, Sims skill up quickly and paintings sell for so much as your skills improves(have audio nearby and listen to classical while painting, also Abstract and Classic paintings tend to sell for the most)
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    -Play around with some of the big and ridiculous looking items. Took me awhile to get around to things like the rocket ship and cupcake maker, but I do like them. (Warning when you do go exploring space there is a chance you can die.)
    -A lot of things unlock with certain skills you invest into. Like more games on the PC when your gaming skill gets higher. (Plus a lot of referenced games from Mysims, sims 3, and sim city~ Handiness is a good one and you'll unlock new television channels on the tv when you upgrade it. )

-Broke? If your sim has a high enough charisma skill they can borrow money from another sim. (Whether you pay it back is up to you. >:) )
    5vJrxmT.png
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    O wrote: »
    Usually, I just play and create storylines between my sims.

This is how I play too. Creating sims specifically for storylines is awesome.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'd have to say, go to game options, upper right dot dot dot, and turn off aging.

The first time I played, my sim was an elder before I ever got a romance going, his career level was still low, and he had 1 friend, Johnny Zest. I had to research settings on the web to learn about the no aging option and restart my game.

It may seem cheaty, but I think it takes awhile to learn the game and get used to managing a sim. This will give you the time you need to do that. When you have a handle on it, then you can turn the aging back on and play in real time.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Handiness is a very useful skill that allows you to upgrade objects in your sim's home.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    edited May 2019
    I would say to a new player to try the things that aren't perfect. Lazy, slob, paranoid, klepto, ect. Branch out with traits and jobs in general. Have sims with different skills from each other, not just the ones that get rich fast. If you're a live player it really helps keep things interesting.

If you're a builder trying to duplicate different architecture styles can help you learn the tools (and limitations boo) and consider new ways to build that aren't your go to styles.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    From Carl's guides.

https://youtu.be/l9u1hHY-vUo
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    *You don't need to eat the fruitcake.

*Selling frogs and plants is a good start, as is wood-working. Best thing with woodworking too is that you can keep your creations if you like them.

*Nothing is funnier than a tiny toilet. :joy:
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Get Vampires. Play to your heart's content. Don't look back.
    #Team Occult
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    The new freelancer career is pretty cool.

And start with a household with different life stages if you want to try out everything.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

And start with a household with different life stages if you want to try out everything.

This is a great suggestion. I currently have a toddler, child, and teen with their young adult parents. I haven't gotten the nerve to move in one of the elder grandparents. 🙂
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

This is a great suggestion. I currently have a toddler, child, and teen with their young adult parents. I haven't gotten the nerve to move in one of the elder grandparents. 🙂

When I first got the game this is what I did and it was pretty fun.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • starrett0311starrett0311 Posts: 1 New Member
    how do you get the calendar feature to work? do you need mods?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top