Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Younger toddlers

BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
Something I've been gradually noticing over the years of playing with Sims 4 toddlers is that... I wish they were younger. Like in TS2 and 3.

I know a lot of people prefer these older ones because it's less of a hassle to put them in and out of cribs etc, but... I don't feel the same.

I want younger/less independent toddlers because it's more fun, especially when the baby stage isn't really a stage since the baby itself is an object. I want the toddlers to sleep in cribs (or at least give us the options to decide if we want them in cribs or beds), because it was cuter. Way, way cuter, and it made me feel like the adults were all the more necessary for them to live. I want them to start out the stage while not being able to walk straight away, but you have to teach them, like in the previous games. I want the stroller back, the fun toys, the changing table and the bottles (not the sippy cups).

I am a family player and I love playing with the toddlers, but the more and more I think about this, the sadder I get. Imagine seeing them sleep in a little crib and crawl around before they can walk. I mean... to me, that would make the world's difference to gameplay. But I suppose it's a dream scenario that will never happen... And I'm afraid that the majority of the community prefer the older versions of the toddler, so if we ever get a TS5 they will most likely not change them back to be younger.

I don't know. It might sound a little bit ridiculous, but it would really change the gameplay for me as well as the fun value.

What do you think? I hope there are at least some of you that think the same as me.

EDIT: I would much love for babies to get an update and that we get to do these things to them, but we've already been told that they aren't getting an update. So, in a scenario where babies won't get an update, would you like toddlers to be younger?
Post edited by Bluelle on

Younger toddlers 156 votes

I would like younger, less independent toddlers.
17%
apisarski2002Bluefairy286poemetragurlinvisiblgirlshygirlBluelleKasanthspice3fallenangel66Missmagoo2annaliese39tnb494Sigzy05stephAnie1864SheriSim57doedearshnailehgabriellesimmerLellaTamakiSakura84 27 votes
I like them older and more independent like in TS4.
82%
DannydanboAkl500Pauroraael14icmnfrshIcewolfjeepjeepcatIceyJstoryyAlexaiColorist40Angel_mixPlayerSinger2010danacnbrettSleepycatDSLWritin_RegmcruddIsb917BloosmooMeteoraStormStrangerthan 129 votes

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Honestly, I whenever I think about TS4 toddlers, I always wonder what age they were going for. It seems like they're meant to be around 3, though certain elements of their skill progression make that seem off. But at the same time, I never played TS2 or 3 so I don't know what age those toddlers were meant to be either. I know that they crawled, but looking at video clips of them, they looked too old to be crawling to me (though that could just be the design). But I suppose that's off topic.

As for my answer, since we don't have that stage of a crawling, fully dependent, not tied to a bassinet life stage, it makes me long for one. I don't like how independent toddlers are in that they only need help with the potty skill and can otherwise take care of themselves (Unless they have the independent trait). Now, if we had better babies *cough like Freeplay's* that could learn to crawl, stand, walk, etc; I wouldn't mind older toddlers since it would feel like a natural progression. But if they're going to continue with babies being either an object or not allowing them to learn to crawl, I'd like much younger toddlers.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    I like them the way they are, but I'd still like all the other things you mentioned, like the option of a bed or a crib, or giving them a bottle, changing their diaper, going for a walk in a stroller, etc. I don't see why they need to be younger for any of this to be possible.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    I like them the way they are, but I'd still like all the other things you mentioned, like the option of a bed or a crib, or giving them a bottle, changing their diaper, going for a walk in a stroller, etc. I don't see why they need to be younger for any of this to be possible.

Lots of people think they're too old for cribs because of their size and the fact that they can walk and do pretty much anything on their own. That's why there are hardly any crib mods. Bigger toddlers don't drink out of bottles and don't need changing tables. They will just look too big for any of that stuff, I'm afraid...
    Honestly, I whenever I think about TS4 toddlers, I always wonder what age they were going for. It seems like they're meant to be around 3, though certain elements of their skill progression make that seem off. But at the same time, I never played TS2 or 3 so I don't know what age those toddlers were meant to be either. I know that they crawled, but looking at video clips of them, they looked too old to be crawling to me (though that could just be the design). But I suppose that's off topic.

As for my answer, since we don't have that stage of a crawling, fully dependent, not tied to a bassinet life stage, it makes me long for one. I don't like how independent toddlers are in that they only need help with the potty skill and can otherwise take care of themselves (Unless they have the independent trait). Now, if we had better babies *cough like Freeplay's* that could learn to crawl, stand, walk, etc; I wouldn't mind older toddlers since it would feel like a natural progression. But if they're going to continue with babies being either an object or not allowing them to learn to crawl, I'd like much younger toddlers.

I feel the same. If babies could do everything that Freeplay babies could, I would be more than satisfied with how the toddlers are currently. It's just... the whole 'taking care of someone smaller' aspect that isn't really as much there as it needs to be for me.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    edited May 2019

Lots of people think they're too old for cribs because of their size and the fact that they can walk and do pretty much anything on their own. That's why there are hardly any crib mods. Bigger toddlers don't drink out of bottles and don't need changing tables. They will just look too big for any of that stuff, I'm afraid...

As long as everything is proportional, I don't see the issue. And all of it could be optional. Don't want to use a changing table? Potty train them. Don't want them to drink out of a bottle? Don't give them one. Feed them like we do now. Don't want a crib? Get a toddler bed. Everything would depend on how you want to play the family.

I definitely would like more toddler toys. There aren't enough options right now.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner

As long as everything is proportional, I don't see the issue. And all of it could be optional. Don't want to use a changing table? Potty train them. Don't want them to drink out of a bottle? Don't give them one. Feed them like we do now. Don't want a crib? Get a toddler bed. Everything would depend on how you want to play the family.

I definitely would like more toddler toys. There aren't enough options right now.

Yeah, that's a good middleground at least. Options!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    These are the toddlers we have and I prefer these over past versions by leaps and bounds.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd prefer babies get the features you're mentioning like a crib and crawling filling in the first 10 or so months instead of just playing as a newborn its entire life stage. Babies should develop learn and be able to fill in the huge gap neither they or toddlers currently offer which is pretty much crawling and everything else it took to get to being a walking talking toddler huge life steps are still missing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2019
    I like them as they are. I like that they can learn to walk and talk by themselves over time and that they aren't quite as dependent on the parents to learn things like walking, potty training and eating.

What I think would be better is for the baby stage to last longer and have some kind of visual progression like we have with babies in real life. A baby will start out as they do now but eventually they grow into more active babies that can leave their bassinet, sit up and even play with simple toys but they still rely on the parents for everything such as feeding, cleaning and diaper changes and they will eventually progress into a crib for sleeping. In real life there is a huge difference between a newborn baby and a baby that is a year old but it's still is a baby. Sims 4 and all the previous versions of the sims do babies so badly. They aren't just inanimate objects in real life. The problem is with babies not toddlers.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I guess I would prefer more progression in toddlers, like crawling and bottles until level 2 or 3 of movement skill, and cribs until they learn to walk, etc.... To be perfectly honest i don't spend much time on toddler and baby life stages so all in all I'm ok with things the way they are.
  • EctotechbiologyEctotechbiology Posts: 5 New Member
    I already struggle with toddlers enough as is lol - I can't imagine having them even MORE dependent. That said, I would love to see 100 baby challenges with a more dependent life stage. I can always age up my toddlers whenever.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I just wish they didn't have to sit in a high chair in order to be fed.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I just wish they didn't have to sit in a high chair in order to be fed.

They don't. You can leave a group meal out and ask them to eat or they will help themselves. Just make sure the meal is where they can get it.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I'd prefer babies get the features you're mentioning like a crib and crawling filling in the first 10 or so months instead of just playing as a newborn its entire life stage. Babies should develop learn and be able to fill in the huge gap neither they or toddlers currently offer which is pretty much crawling and everything else it took to get to being a walking talking toddler huge life steps are still missing.

This.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Nah, I'd rather have the babies overhauled. The tots are solid.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Other. I want babies back like you describe! Keep these toddlers and add in preschoolers for the 3-5 age group as we have nothing that seems like a preschooler.
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    To me...The Sims 4 toddles are better. They look like two-three year olds and act like young two year olds. The independence is nice for me. I like having toddlers but not having them overrun the game. I haven't played anyone version of the Sims, bit I've seen stuff on YouTube and the younger versions just seem like a nightmare.
    I use MCCC to make it so that I can have more than 8 Sims in a household and I play on a lifestage that is even longer than the long lifestage. I just had a baby age up to toddler in a household with 9 Sims and will have three toddlers for two Sim weeks until the oldest toddler ages up to child. If the toddlers were harder, this would be a nightmare. Right now, it's manageable. I don't want toddlers to take over my game. Honestly, they're hard enough as is. I had a single mom have quads (again, thanks to MCCC) and one of them got taken away by social services. I was devastated. For me, they're already hard enough.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    These toddlers need to be even more independent. I hate how much work they are now, I could not imagine another "baby" stage. Personally, I have a mod that skips the toddler stage as I find them too needy.
  • gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    I think the toddler life stage was much better in TS2 and TS3. At least they added toddlers in TS4 - I'd rather have more independent toddlers than none at all! At this point, I don't think any major updates to toddlers will be added, so I would love to see babies updated! I'm a family player and it's no fun that the babies are just objects.
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I actually actively avoid playing with toddlers in Sims 3 now because the toddlers to me are really just a chore. Only reason why I’m finding Sims 4 toddlers annoying lately is because of the bugs.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I love our tots. I have so much more fun with them than I had with previous Sims games. As they gain skills, new options unlock, like new socials, better movements, and sleeping through the night better. I love my wild toddler who strips and runs around. I love the “Know what? Chicken butt!” joke and the moodlets they get. I think they redeemed themselves for not including toddlers in the first place. In a previous Sim game, I was told they could climb out of their crib on their own if they had something like a trait or body skill? Can’t remember- all I know is that happened ONCE in my game, they were usually just more of a pain than babies were, they had like 3 toys, and less to do with them.

I really don’t think they need to add another life stage here, I was thinking of styling my kids differently in the beginning of their child stage and giving them more of a tween vibe as they approach teenage years, this seems to make sense as they develop.

If they were to add a life stage, if anything, I think they should add the “middle aged” group back again.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    After reading some of the comments. I would change my answer for toddlers to stay this way and prefer babies to not be objects. it makes more sense for them to be the ones in the changing table, stroller, play pen, and crawling.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

This is exactly what I wanted to say, but couldn't get out in my post :D . Regardless of if it's older babies or younger toddlers, there needs to be some stage that represents the huge developmental gap that is missing from the game.

This is why I desperately hope they will give babies an overhaul.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    As much as I miss strollers, and as much as I agree that we're missing a truly baby-ish stage, I like having the option to let my toddlers run around and learn things on their own. I think the game could improve the baby stage itself. Newborn babies really don't do much, but even they were more interesting when we could tote them around and put them in cribs or on blankets on the floor.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    You know, they could always do both. The toddlers we currently have could become Preschoolers and there could be less dependent versions like from older games called Toddlers. This probably won't happen in ts4, but possibly ts5 if it ever happens.
    funny-gifs20.gif