Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use zodiacs for your sims?

YuriTheCreatorYuriTheCreator Posts: 60 Member
I usually forget zodiacs are an option. They don't do much, unlike TS2 & TS1 where their entire peronality is based off of a zodiac type. I never really found them to be accurate either, as I'm a leo but would be considered an Aries in TS2/1.

Unless I'm making a future couple (which is pretty rare by itself, I usually just let my sims date who they want) so they can have more romantic compatibility down the line, especially if one of them is a hopeless romantic.. Otherwise, I never touch them.

However, I do use favorites on pretty much all my sims. Chances are if they're wearing a blue shirt or a red dress, that's their favorite colour. I choose their favourite music genre by what kind of traits they have as well. Favorite food and zodiacs can just be completely randomized though.
April 8, 2015 is when I came out of that smelly old closet... 🚶‍♂️🚪

Do you use zodiacs for your sims? 72 votes

Yes!
43% 31 votes
No, let it be random.
16% 12 votes
Depends on the sim.
20% 15 votes
Nope.
19% 14 votes

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Most of the time, I don't even click the tab. :lol: The only time I ever find myself setting zodiac signs is if I'm making a sim of a celebrity.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Same with me, @Emily4331. Although I don't always remember then! :D
    I am, however, particular about their favourite colour and food.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    No, I don't ever bother with the favorites/signs tab.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Always. I may not put a lot of emphasis on it, but I always pick one specifically. I do not have a clear idea of how the game treats compatibility, so I don't plan it to may Sim A more compatible with Sim B, but I do try to at least broadly connect to their personalities.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Mostly forget, that it even exists.
    I chose the right one for my simself and one or two sims I modeled after someone specific.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • SimMin94SimMin94 Posts: 18 Member
    I usually don't do much with Zodiacs, but if my sims have twins, i'll make sure the twins share the same Zodiac.... otherwise that would bug me :D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    SimMin94 wrote: »
    I usually don't do much with Zodiacs, but if my sims have twins, i'll make sure the twins share the same Zodiac.... otherwise that would bug me :D
    That bothers me too, but I use a mod to take care of it.
    http://modthesims.info/d/492741/newborns-get-zodiac-signs-that-match-the-current-season.html

Sometimes I will reassign zodiac signs to make sims I think should be more attracted to each other than they seem to be get the attraction bonus for compatible signs. Usually I don't pay much attention to them, though.

Compatibility chart (scroll down a bit to get to the TS3 section):
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Zodiac_sign
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I voted yes; all of my created Sims’ favorites are deliberately chosen.

I try to tie the zodiac sign to LTW’s, traits and/or colors associated with the sign. So a gardener Sim will be given an earth or water sign, while a Sim whose fave color is red would be an Aries. I also pair earth/water and fire/air couples together for enhanced compatibility.

Regarding the other favorites, I tend to dress Sims in their favorite colors, or match their favorite colors to the outfits I’ve already given them, whichever comes first. I choose their fave music based on their personalities, but also from the mix of available genres I prefer (since I’ll be the one stuck listening to it, lol). As for fave meals; that depends on how much I intend to advance their cooking skill. I dislike giving a Sim a favorite meal of French toast when they may never skill up enough to learn the recipe for it, but they can be happy enjoying waffles or pancakes as their favorite instead.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Twins get the same zodiac signs and I select ones for my main characters. Otherwise it's random, I just check when I remember for fun. :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • stephanie99stephanie99 Posts: 6 New Member
    I rarely used them as they have no actual impact. However if I am creating a Sim based on a real person I usually choose the appropriate zodiac sign to their birthday.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I do use them, but I wish they had more of an impact like they did in Sims 2. Although my issue with TS2, like yours, is that even though it is my sims zodiac sign their personalities I want for them don't always match up which is similar to real life to me. I wish there could be a blend of the points that come with your zodiac sign and personality traits.

I also use all the favorites and prefer to let them wear something that includes their favorite color. Music is based on personality too and with favorite food I just look at them, think about their personality, and try to see what I picture them getting excited about food wise.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    There's zodiac signs?!

No, I know they exist... sometimes. I mostly forget though. I never use them. I don't think I've literally ever actually chosen a zodiac sign. If I did it was way back when they were new and before I found out they're beyond useless. Jeez, my simself probably doesn't even share my zodiac sign, if she does it's sheer dumb luck not because I assigned it.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Usually I'd randomly roll the dice and let the game decide it for me or just forget about the tab altogether. I'm not too picky about it because zodiacs have little affect on sims interactions... unless I'm having twins with different signs which bugs me a bit.

Also there is another mod that let your newborn to have matching signs to the season. http://modthesims.info/d/492741/newborns-get-zodiac-signs-that-match-the-current-season.html

And yes, just like what others have said I actually care more about their favourite colours and food. :p
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I use them, but to be honest, they don't really do anything beyond a small attraction boost when compatible, as far as I know.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I like picking the zodiac signs based on my sims traits and they way I see them. I do make sure twins get the same sign.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Don't know, don't care, don't bother to open the tab in CAS. If I want two sims to like each other, they'll like each other because I said so because of the many other factors that increase their attractiveness.

But I'm romantic like that.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't bother with it much, but I did suggest an idea in 1000 Fun Things To Do In The Sims 3 thread.
    It was related to getting creative with a sim's astrology sign.
    CK213 wrote: »
    319:
    Astrology

Your sim has an astrological sign.
    Consult a daily horoscope and have your sim take the advice into consideration.
    Horoscope.jpg

I just realized Supernatural let's you do that with the moon dial.
    Libra.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    Being raised in a family that didn't pay any attention to zodiac signs, and I still don't now... Nope, don't care about them with my Sims. :p
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    The zodiac signs do have another use, maybe more so for mod users, that doesn't seem to be recognized as easily. What EA did was basically give us a field associated with each sim that has one of twelve different random values, sort of a roll of a d12 (12-sided die) for each sim. Suppose you wish to have an ongoing random 25% of your population and only them be allowed to do something -- take on specific careers, join a country club, be allowed to have kids, date other sims within the same or a different 25% group, or live in certain houses. One could set up an NRaas StoryProgression caste based on zodiac sign by only allowing those with one of three of them (3/12 = 25%) as caste members and then apply that to the allowed actions.

Since zodiac signs are not inherited, never change as sims age, and each newly born and arriving immigrant sim will also have a random zodiac assignment (roll of the die) associated with them, the structure should sustain itself over time without the player having to keep rolling real dice off to the side and keep track of all this.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I use the Zodiacs as a guide to choose traits for my sims. I take notes and them I have some lists of "traits perfect for the sign X". I often choose two traits randomly when they're born. After that, I may pick out a trait from the parents, and the others are from those lists - if I'm not too lazy.

Zodiacs may not add much to the game, but I get a kick out of having them around.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2019
    My parents are hippies. Yeah, I use zodiacs in my game. :lol:

I sort of base them on zodiac stereotypes when I'm creating my sims. Like I may make my perfectionist sims Virgos, my flirty sims Geminis, or my diva sims Leos. Of course it's all just for fun and I don't believe the stereotypes, I'm just aware of them. So, I definitely give it some thought when I make my sims. :smile:

I don't use this list, but it’s similar to the way I think of them in my head:
    https://mysims3addiction.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/sims-3-zodiac-sign-personality-traits/
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I use them and have several favourites. However I don't think assigning a star sign influences sim behaviour in game in quite the same way as it did in TS2.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

I always choose a zodiac sigh for my main sim and any of their potential partners (if I created them). I don't always choose their traits to agree with their sign though. But in the past I developed a Zodiac Curse Game right after Pets was released. It was fun so I may play it again. Here is an edited version of how to play it. Thanks @GabbyGirlJ for the link to a more recent list of traits. :)

The Zodiac Curse Game for Sims 3

This can loosely be called a challenge, but it is more about developing sims with diverse personalities and generating an interesting story than it is about competing. In fact there are no points to accumulate and almost no rules. If people want to play by strict legacy rules that’s OK. If people want to use cheats to set up certain scenarios that’s OK too. As long as the few rules are followed any gaming style is fine.

While playing a legacy according to strict legacy rules, I discovered that although I had limited myself in the past to only using a small number of traits there were quite a few interesting traits I needed to explore. Unfortunately the random traits generated in a legacy almost never resulted in cohesive personalities for my sims. I also realized that I was very successful in getting all the points possible and accumulating the 2 million by the 3rd or 4th generation but I had a very bland story.

I looked around at the various challenges and legacies but most were too complicated and had too many rules. I was interested in the Zodiac Legacy because even if you don’t believe in astrology it is a system that can be used to get cohesive, diverse personalities for your sims. And although I thank dreamsong1968 for their initial work setting up the Zodiac Legacy (which I have shamelessly ripped off and altered) I wanted more a game guide to help get an interesting story rather than strict rules for a competition.

There are five main parts to playing a Zodiac Curse game – the cause of the curse, the curse itself, breaking the curse, assigning traits and additional rules.

The Cause of the Curse (story setup)

Your founder sim must have a romantic relationship with a sim who already has a romantic relationship with another. Your sim’s zodiac sign must not be compatible with their new love interest. (Fire signs and air signs are compatible and earth sign and water sign are compatible.) The original relationship can be anything from romantic interest to spouse but your sim must cause this relationship to be broken. Either the rejected lover or a family member then calls a curse down on your sim and all their descendants. An alternate scenario could be that your founder sim just believes they are suffering karmic retribution but no one actually curses them.

Another way the setup can work is that your founder, as the last descent of their family, moves into a new town trying to escape their family’s curse. Part of that story could be that they are not even sure of why or how the family was cursed. Part of the story could be their discovery of the past.

The curse can be a voodoo curse, druid curse, genie’s curse, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 curse, magic spell, unicorn’s curse, fairy’s curse, elf’s curse/spell, wizard’s spell, witch’s curse, vampire’s curse, etc. It can be any kind of karmic retribution. Whichever starting scenario you use, be as creative as you like to make an interesting story.

The Curse Itself

Your sim and all their descendants are doomed to have an unhappy and/or short lived romantic relationship with any partner that does not have a compatible zodiac sign.

Breaking the Curse (winning the game)

To break the curse your founder sim must have a descendant of each of the other 11 zodiac signs raised to young adulthood in the original active household. If a descendant moves out of the active household before they become a young adult they do not count toward breaking the curse. If a descendant moves out of the active household after they reach young adult they count but any of their descendants not raised to young adult in the active household do not count.

Because of recent issues with long games developing problems not only is it OK to pack up the family and move to a new town/game, as long as it is the same active household, it is recommended. Moving to a new lot in the same town/game is also perfectly fine.

If the founder raises 11 descendants to young adult over the course of their life and each descendant has a zodiac sign different from any other and from their founder parent then the curse would be broken in one generation. Although that is unlikely for normal life span. For those who want more of a challenge you can see how few generations it takes to break the curse.

Assigning Traits to Descendants and to the Founder

Because a baby’s zodiac sign is not know until after the first 2 traits are assigned, these traits (later referred to as baby traits) are not assigned from the list associated with their sign. All other traits assigned when reaching childhood, teen and young adult must be chosen from the list for their zodiac sign. (Here is a list of Sims 3 traits for each zodiac sign.) You must push the random button, once, to get the first 2 traits. A variation is to play with a family trait that will replace one of these random traits. The family trait must be one of the founder’s original traits and it must be a baby trait. (Sims 3 traits that can be assigned to babies - Absent Minded, Artistic, Brave, Clumsy, Couch Potato, Disciplined, Easily Impressed, Eccentric, Evil, Excitable, Friendly, Genius, Good, Grumpy, Hates the Outdoors, Heavy Sleeper, Light Sleeper, Loner, Loves the Outdoors, Neurotic, Perceptive, Slob, Virtuoso. This list was made right after Pets was released so other traits may have been added with the newer EPs.)

When creating the founder make sure they have 3 traits from the list for their sign. The other 2 traits can be any of your choosing. If you plan to play the family trait variation then one of these traits must be that family trait and it must be a “baby trait”.

Additional Rules

Play the game with story progression on, either EA’s story progression or a story progression mod.

Most importantly Have Fun!

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Ooh I love curse / retribution / anything that's unpleasant challenges! That sounds like fun <3
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Dillonator1138Dillonator1138 Posts: 26 Member
    I don’t know the actual Zodiac stereotypes and such, and so, while I do pick them, it’s in a more...childish way.

E.g, “oh, she’s nasty, scorpions are nasty, Scorpio it is”
    Or “he likes the beach, Aquarius it is”
    Or “oh they’re twins, Gemini means twins...”
    Or “I looked up lions earlier today, Leo it is...”

That said, I try not to leave anything unfilled save the biography, which is often forgotten. I will pick favourites- if for no other reason than to explore autumn salad being an elating meal- but never fill that thing out. Guess I usually just want to move on at that point?