Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4: Routable Oceans For Existing Worlds “Unlikely”

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    isaiahzay wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Couldn’t they add swimming locations as world objects? We know they can add objects to interact with to existing worlds (dig site spawners, seasonal skating rinks, vending stands, etc.) so it seems most likely. Especially in a new world. And I imagine if cars are ever added, they would be implemented similarly.

Those were put in place when the worlds are made - that is not the same thing as adding something not in a world. That is like adding furniture, pool, garden, swings etc on a lot. Not a permanent thing.

Well that’s my point. I don’t think we can hope for a swimming feature in the existing worlds as being anything more than objects with scripted animations specific to where in the world they are placed. (I know swimming wound not be possible like was in TS3, but adding an interactive object to certain places in the world, like at some of the docks or beaches, to trigger a swimming animation might be possible, right?) Isn’t that a more likely way, since the worlds can’t be rerouted?

One big issue is that the water is paint. It has no depth. It's not a routing issue as much as adding the depth for the sims to appear to be "in" the water, not on it. And if diving is also to be added, that depth must be very deep, not just deep enough for the sim to appear to swim.

It's like if you go to a place that has water projected on the floor (google it) and tried to jump in and swim. It's not real. It has no depth. They would need to recreate the worlds to add that depth to water.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Couldn’t they add swimming locations as world objects? We know they can add objects to interact with to existing worlds (dig site spawners, seasonal skating rinks, vending stands, etc.) so it seems most likely. Especially in a new world. And I imagine if cars are ever added, they would be implemented similarly.

Those were put in place when the worlds are made - that is not the same thing as adding something not in a world. That is like adding furniture, pool, garden, swings etc on a lot. Not a permanent thing.

Well that’s my point. I don’t think we can hope for a swimming feature in the existing worlds as being anything more than objects with scripted animations specific to where in the world they are placed. (I know swimming wound not be possible like was in TS3, but adding an interactive object to certain places in the world, like at some of the docks or beaches, to trigger a swimming animation might be possible, right?) Isn’t that a more likely way, since the worlds can’t be rerouted?

One big issue is that the water is paint. It has no depth. It's not a routing issue as much as adding the depth for the sims to appear to be "in" the water, not on it. And if diving is also to be added, that depth must be very deep, not just deep enough for the sim to appear to swim.

It's like if you go to a place that has water projected on the floor (google it) and tried to jump in and swim. It's not real. It has no depth. They would need to recreate the worlds to add that depth to water.

Which I do not think would work as the Sims 4 worlds are not really on a map. Hit Tab and move yourself above each world and some are nothing more than floating islands - not really connected at all. It is as if the water is done on green screen - like fx and maybe not even paint. I am not sure what this is - but definitely not a map system like former sims games - and definitely filled with FX programming. You cannot add depth to fx unless it is in the programming from what I can see.... Maybe I am wrong but I don't think so.

That worked in the Sims 3 because it used Build World Maps to make the worlds - but Sims 4 is nothing like that.

ETA - Just to add I found a way to add depth and bring to life FX water - but so far characters cannot interact with it. It is as if it isn't there - it's just visible. So if I can do that - then the devs with way more talent than me can do that. They also know what is in that engine - which I don't. It matters.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    This question about adding swimmable oceans and bodies of water to every world we have now, has been asked over and over. And the reply we get from the gurus and members of the development teams is always the same. It cannot be done. Period. Sacrificing years old saves for the ability to swim in a couple lakes/creeks/oceans is not worth the loss of what has taken me several years to create. And seeing as these are the same people who have been creating for the game since before it was released, I agree with them. I have to ask myself is the loss worth the gain. Nope. Don't mess around with my saves. These saves have been through a lot with all the updates, patches, and packs. I have lost two saves over the years because of corrupted files, and I do not wish to lose even one more.

Some Simmers don't understand why we play saves that are old. I have a save that is a recreation of Stars Hollow from the Gilmore Girls TV series that took me months to build. I have all the main characters living in replicas of the homes they had in the series. Luke's Diner, the town square, the Dragonfly Inn, every detail that made the series special, is in this save. It's very speical to me, and I enjoy playing it. I don't want to lose it. My other five saves are just as special because each one has it's own characters and stories. Every world in those saves has been altered to suit the story I created for it and its characters. And if the gurus tell me altering existing worlds to include swimming in the ocean puts those saves at risk, then I say no to changing anything in those worlds unless it can be done without destroying my hard work.

In order to give us the swimmable ocean and the beaches we feel are missing from the game, a tropical island that includes those is a good solution. I hope we have the ability to live on this island, or own a small beachside lot as a vacation spot. The winters are long and cold so it would be great if our Sims had the ability to escape for a few days and bask in the sunshine. I have no doubt the views will be gorgeous, the water warm and inviting, and our Sims will return home refreshed and happy. Beacuse this will be the only world with oceans and swimming, it will not become something we take for granted.

Yes, not including swimming in lakes and oceans in the base game was unfortunate. That omission has caused a lot of disappointment in the community. But there might be a good solution for this coming in June.

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    There's only about 8 or so lots that currently could have ocean swimming added to them from Windenburg island and a few lots on Brindleton Bay. I'd gladly lose my save for a more interactive world I would prefer a huge update with cars and ocean swimming but its easy to put your Sims and homes on the gallery so not much of an issue for me.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2019
    While the Gurus say updating existing worlds for ocean swimming is unlikely, and I believe them, I think the reasoning behind it is different.

The public spaces in the worlds have been edited several times in the past, such as when bollards were out of place in Newcrest, when a drain was floating above the pavement or when seasonal activities were added to all worlds with Seasons. None of these effected the built lots or saves.

Lots are stored as blueprints and instructions of where they are built (lot ID) in each save game. The game rebuilds them each time you play.

The true issue here is the cost in man hours. How long it would take the environment team to edit all the possible beaches/lakes in game vs new worlds they could be creating instead? Who is going to pay them to do this if it's not for a pack already in production?

All the patch features we get are in some way related to upcoming content. Bigger packs like EPs enable new types of objects or the development of new build items that mimics can be made from further down the road.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Sadly they always have to take into consideration that the packs they make have to work both on their own with just the base game, and work with all the packs, which means if they would add oceans that you could swim in in all those worlds they would have to update all the expansion packs.

If they do that, I hope that they will add more features than just swimming, I want to be able to really explore all the worlds and find unique collectibles for each world. I don't think it would be impossible to do, the worlds already have some pretty good looking beaches.

I don't know if the game has reached it's limit though, updating all the worlds to add swimming and exploration might ruin old saves and give the game much longer loading times for people with large saves.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Sadly they always have to take into consideration that the packs they make have to work both on their own with just the base game, and work with all the packs, which means if they would add oceans that you could swim in in all those worlds they would have to update all the expansion packs.

If they do that, I hope that they will add more features than just swimming, I want to be able to really explore all the worlds and find unique collectibles for each world. I don't think it would be impossible to do, the worlds already have some pretty good looking beaches.

I don't know if the game has reached it's limit though, updating all the worlds to add swimming and exploration might ruin old saves and give the game much longer loading times for people with large saves.

Sadly? It's one of the best things. TS3 often didn't have that inconsideration and it was flooded with bugs and poor performance.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    logion wrote: »

Sadly? It's one of the best things. TS3 often didn't have that inconsideration and it was flooded with bugs and poor performance.

Yeah, from a performance standpoint it is probably better. All those independent packs makes any feature difficult for them to work with though, which is probably why we have not seen cars yet. Going back to work on code written 4 years ago is probably not fun.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I have to admit, the beach in Brindleton Bay kind of looks like it was put there just to tease us, so I can see why people want it to become swimmable. But personally, I wouldn't mind swimmable beaches being restricted to one world, as long as it's not a vacation destination. As someone else said, I want every world to have something special about it, something you can only do or have there: If you want eternal summer and heatwaves, go to Oasis Springs. If you want shorter days, go to Forgotten Hollow. If you want mind-controlling plants and weird weather, go to StrangerVille. If you want to swim, surf, dive, and do whatever else in the ocean, go to this new world. Fine by me, especially if it means I get to keep my old saves.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Every time we want something we have to accept less. Why is that o.k.? I just don' t get that we accept less for more money. Oh, look, swimmable world never mind the other bodies of water can't be fixed to do this, too. No worries, here take our money, for less features.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Maxis can edit the worlds however they want, they’ve done it several times already and will absolutely do it again. It boils down to time and money, two things Sims 4 never seems to have enough of. How hard is it to swap out one asset for another in a world where the player can’t manipulate any of it? Pretty easy, the complicated parts are making the new assets which for Maxis shouldn’t be complicated at all.
    If you own the base game, you already decided to settle for "less". They didn't come with oceans that sims can swim in and won't be updated to do so. So the choice seems to be adding a tropical world with no swimming in the ocean like we always have had, or adding a tropical world with the new addition of ocean swimming that no other worlds have. With all the worlds in S4 being connected, taking your sims to the beach for a swim in the ocean is just a click away. No different than going to the library or out to eat. In that respect, your overall game will have ocean swimming just not in all worlds. I can see (and have had) my sim walk the beach of Brindleton Bay but never thought it was a beach I'd want to swim from. A tropical beach however, would be a different story.

And as for accepting less, I don't see it that way at all. The packs may not be as broad in scale but they are more focused and tighter and so much better made. Vampires are the best ever. Do we have every pet under the sun, no, but cats and dogs are the best versions ever.

I think if MAGICALLY all worlds suddenly had ocean swimming, when a beautiful tropical beach pack drops, you would still send your sims to the tropical island to swim there. Why swim in Oasis Springs or Brindleton Bay when you can swim in the ocean, get some sun and relax in a lounger with a coconut drink in your sims hand?
    If you own the base game, you already decided to settle for "less". They didn't come with oceans that sims can swim in and won't be updated to do so. So the choice seems to be adding a tropical world with no swimming in the ocean like we always have had, or adding a tropical world with the new addition of ocean swimming that no other worlds have. With all the worlds in S4 being connected, taking your sims to the beach for a swim in the ocean is just a click away. No different than going to the library or out to eat. In that respect, your overall game will have ocean swimming just not in all worlds. I can see (and have had) my sim walk the beach of Brindleton Bay but never thought it was a beach I'd want to swim from. A tropical beach however, would be a different story.

And as for accepting less, I don't see it that way at all. The packs may not be as broad in scale but they are more focused and tighter and so much better made. Vampires are the best ever. Do we have every pet under the sun, no, but cats and dogs are the best versions ever.

I think if MAGICALLY all worlds suddenly had ocean swimming, when a beautiful tropical beach pack drops, you would still send your sims to the tropical island to swim there. Why swim in Oasis Springs or Brindleton Bay when you can swim in the ocean, get some sun and relax in a lounger with a coconut drink in your sims hand?

Ya that’s the thought process at Maxis when they decide to tell us how content should be used. Why do it this way when you could do it this other more specific way?? Idk freedom for the player? You don’t have to go to the tropics to swim, sit in a lounger, or get your drink on. I can do all of that at my home, as could a sim if I furnished their lot accordingly.

No one settled for less because it doesn’t exist. Swimming in oceans didn’t exist in Sims 3 base game and would you look at that they added it in with a patch. We all settle with 4 because they don’t offer us freedom to do what we like, we are stuck in the confines the studio put us.
    edited May 2019

Ya that’s the thought process at Maxis when they decide to tell us how content should be used. Why do it this way when you could do it this other more specific way?? Idk freedom for the player? You don’t have to go to the tropics to swim, sit in a lounger, or get your drink on. I can do all of that at my home, as could a sim if I furnished their lot accordingly.

No one settled for less because it doesn’t exist. Swimming in oceans didn’t exist in Sims 3 base game and would you look at that they added it in with a patch. We all settle with 4 because they don’t offer us freedom to do what we like, we are stuck in the confines the studio put us.

Why go to just Sims 3 to compare. When we got swimming in the others packs we did not get it in all worlds either. Maybe Sims 3 is the odd fellow! In both Sims 1 and 2 - if my sims wanted to swim in an ocean they went on Vacation - other wise they swam in their pools. Seems that's the norm....

In dreams - I LIVE!

Why go to just Sims 3 to compare. When we got swimming in the others packs we did not get it in all worlds either. Maybe Sims 3 is the odd fellow! In both Sims 1 and 2 - if my sims wanted to swim in an ocean they went on Vacation - other wise they swam in their pools. Seems that's the norm....

In Sims 2 you can add a beach lot to any neighborhood that has a road close enough to the water. So if you wanted to make a beachfront home in Pleasantview, you absolutely could with relative ease. Hardly the norm.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    With the recent leak of a potential tropical themed expansion coming in June. I just want to point out that we will not be getting an immersive gaming experience similar to what we got in Sims 3 Island Paradise if this expansion ever came out to the game.

This article was from SimsVIP published in August 16, 2016
    Link: https://simsvip.com/2016/08/16/sims-4-routable-oceans-existing-worlds-unlikely/

If you were wondering whether or not the oceans in existing worlds can be made routable for Sims to swim in, it’s “unlikely”. SimGuruDaniel took to Twitter yesterday to state that they would most likely have to create new terrain/worlds for that specific purpose.

Twitter.png

If making current ocean terrain routable is not something that can be done, then it’s very likely our Sims will only be able to swim in the ocean in specially made worlds.

Comment Section
    I'm not surprised. Those oceans weren't built for swimming and the terrain and water is much different than 3. - WIRED

The beaches, lakes, rivers, etc, where not built for swimming in The Sims 3 until they designed them to be. It's not they pushed a button to make them swimmable, they had to create it. - GREG

Exactly, however I'm not going to lie, I wish they could for worlds like Windenburg. Would of been amazing, maybe they'll remake it or add an extended version to them so we can... If it's possible xD - ♥BeautiSimmer♥

Hopefully we'll get a couple of new worlds with oceans our sims can swim in. - CATLOVERPLAYER

Yes, I would love to see some of the ocean around Windenburg swimmable too, especially around the Island. It would be nice to see the fish pond there swimmable too. Some of the beaches in Granite falls would be nice to see swimming too.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited May 2019
    I
    I don't really care about this discussion much either way, but I would totally love to swim in Brindleton Bay. From a story-telling standpoint, it's much cozier and my sims would be close to home. It'd be a staycation. Not all of my sims can afford to go to an island paradise, so a cheap alternative would be great for them.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    Gordy wrote: »
    I
    I don't really care about this discussion much either way, but I would totally love to swim in Brindleton Bay. From a story-telling standpoint, it's much cozier and my sims would be close to home. It'd be a staycation. Not all of my sims can afford to go to an island paradise, so a cheap alternative would be great for them.

If it is an ep - chances are it will be a livable world and not a vacation world as the devs said Vacation worlds were gps.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited May 2019
    If it is an ep - chances are it will be a livable world and not a vacation world as the devs said Vacation worlds were gps.
    Yeah, I get that. But since I like to play most of my houses as middle class, I don't see most of them living there. At best, it'd be a vacation spot they visit after scrimping and saving.

I'd definitely have other sims living there, though.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I really feel like they never have any forward thinking when making expansion packs. I mean they HAD to know eventually they would add in ocean swimming so why not make the base game and all other worlds with the proper depth to add it in later. They ran into the same problem in Sims 3 with scuba and houseboats. I was more forgiven because these were pretty new concepts but, you would think they would not run into the SAME problem again.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Modders found a way around not being able to edit worlds with using the fishing signs. Still normal fishing signs just with water interactions attached to them and depending on their location is where your Sims can go in the water.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited May 2019
    aws200 wrote: »
    Modders found a way around not being able to edit worlds with using the fishing signs. Still normal fishing signs just with water interactions attached to them and depending on their location is where your Sims can go in the water.

I was gonna say, I remember not too long ago a modder teased a project he was working on that enabled swimmable bodies of water in the worlds. Imma just leave this here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZShVETMbCc

If a modder can do it, I have no doubt that the developers can do it. I'd be genuinely disappointing if they didn't.
    That's great. I'd never download it and use it because I don't need for my sims to swim in those waters. But if he can do it, great, the devs won't need to and that saves them time and money and data space in packs.

It should be noted that he did say it was very time consuming and difficult. I appreciate his hard work but I'd rather the devs concentrated on other more important things.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I don't mind ocean-specific worlds instead, because a beach wouldn't fit in any of the current worlds except Brindleton Bay and maybe Oasis Springs.

What they could possibly do though, is create a sub-world or secret lot that can be accessed through the current worlds (like Forgotten Grotto & Sylvan Glade), where there is a beach that npc sims have access to as well.
    If this is a tropical pack with ocean swimming, they will have done just that. Instead of one click to travel to a "hidden" world with a beach to swim in the ocean, you can click once to travel to an actual beach world and swim in the ocean in what will hopefully be a beautiful new world.