Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4: Routable Oceans For Existing Worlds “Unlikely”

TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
With the recent leak of a potential tropical themed expansion coming in June. I just want to point out that we will not be getting an immersive gaming experience similar to what we got in Sims 3 Island Paradise if this expansion ever came out to the game.

This article was from SimsVIP published in August 16, 2016
Link: https://simsvip.com/2016/08/16/sims-4-routable-oceans-existing-worlds-unlikely/

If you were wondering whether or not the oceans in existing worlds can be made routable for Sims to swim in, it’s “unlikely”. SimGuruDaniel took to Twitter yesterday to state that they would most likely have to create new terrain/worlds for that specific purpose.

Twitter.png

If making current ocean terrain routable is not something that can be done, then it’s very likely our Sims will only be able to swim in the ocean in specially made worlds.

Comment Section
I'm not surprised. Those oceans weren't built for swimming and the terrain and water is much different than 3. - WIRED

The beaches, lakes, rivers, etc, where not built for swimming in The Sims 3 until they designed them to be. It's not they pushed a button to make them swimmable, they had to create it. - GREG

Exactly, however I'm not going to lie, I wish they could for worlds like Windenburg. Would of been amazing, maybe they'll remake it or add an extended version to them so we can... If it's possible xD - ♥BeautiSimmer♥

Hopefully we'll get a couple of new worlds with oceans our sims can swim in. - CATLOVERPLAYER
y'all got bread?

Comments

• TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Do you think ocean swimming will be confined to one world?
    y'all got bread?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Do you think ocean swimming will be confined to one world?

Almost certainly

doesn't really bother me though
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    i think they've already touched base on this so it's not really news to me but it's still sad. the oceans in windenburg and other worlds look so swimmable.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    With the recent leak of a potential tropical themed expansion coming in June. I just want to point out that we will not be getting an immersive gaming experience similar to what we got in Sims 3 Island Paradise if this expansion ever came out to the game.

This article was from SimsVIP published in August 16, 2016
    Link: https://simsvip.com/2016/08/16/sims-4-routable-oceans-existing-worlds-unlikely/

If you were wondering whether or not the oceans in existing worlds can be made routable for Sims to swim in, it’s “unlikely”. SimGuruDaniel took to Twitter yesterday to state that they would most likely have to create new terrain/worlds for that specific purpose.

Twitter.png

If making current ocean terrain routable is not something that can be done, then it’s very likely our Sims will only be able to swim in the ocean in specially made worlds.

Comment Section
    I'm not surprised. Those oceans weren't built for swimming and the terrain and water is much different than 3. - WIRED

The beaches, lakes, rivers, etc, where not built for swimming in The Sims 3 until they designed them to be. It's not they pushed a button to make them swimmable, they had to create it. - GREG

Exactly, however I'm not going to lie, I wish they could for worlds like Windenburg. Would of been amazing, maybe they'll remake it or add an extended version to them so we can... If it's possible xD - ♥BeautiSimmer♥

Hopefully we'll get a couple of new worlds with oceans our sims can swim in. - CATLOVERPLAYER

That comment was made long ago. It could be possible now, we don't know. Fact is they can go back and alter worlds, but I don't know if that would be too much work or not.

There are places where swimming makes sense, like in Windwnburg's island, in Brindleton Bay's beaches and in Granite Falls's lake. Swimming in Willow Creek doesn't make much sense because who'd want to swim in a swamp ahaha.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2019
    Well, I'ld love to be able to swim in all bodies of water, but if it only comes in one world, then it makes that world special. Even if is a residential one (which i hope it is) it'll be the place to visit when my sims feel in the mood for swimming.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Once they figure out the way to do it, all future worlds could have ocean swimming. For me, if I can swim off any beach anywhere, why go to the new island world. Just go swim wherever your sim lives now. No, I'd rather have something to make the new tropical world special like beach activities and ocean swimming. Otherwise, it may as well be another Newcrest.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Once they figure out the way to do it, all future worlds could have ocean swimming. For me, if I can swim off any beach anywhere, why go to the new island world. Just go swim wherever your sim lives now. No, I'd rather have something to make the new tropical world special like beach activities and ocean swimming. Otherwise, it may as well be another Newcrest.

A real beach with beach activities sure sounds much more fun than just going swimming in every lake. As long as it's not just a vacation thing.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    They can edit worlds for Seasons and other DLC but heaven forbid for swimming in something outside in ground swimming pools.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019
    Adding overlays to existing worlds is a big difference than going into a world - removing present terrain and adding a new type of terrain in it's place - especially one that incorporate sims and content to interact with the terrain. As it is because of the way Sims 4 makes worlds - unlike any other sims version - changing anything in a world itself they said broke saves for one - so we could not even add toggles - so how are they going to do any of that in previous worlds? Odds are - it will be a special GP world just like all the other vacations if it is a vacation or a regular new world if it is a ep - where sims can live all the time and not a vacation.

From what devs have told us for almost 5 years now - that is the way it will be. Oh and that is providing they give us a Tropical Paradise world.

I know one thing if there are boats and watercraft - I hope to high heaven it does not work like the teleport boat in Brindle Bay. So they definitely need a new water terrain - as what we have supports only minor teleporting and heavy on the fx.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited May 2019
    I remember when they said that part about retroactively changing terran breaking out saves. By now it would be worth it for me, but I understand that this would be very selfish. I'm also hoping for beach activities that make up for the lack of swimming everywhere, maybe a portable volleyball net or a beach ball that goes into inventory and can be used from there everywhere we want to.

But do you all remember the mod that made Granite Falls into a tropical world? In one of the last versions they added an interaction to the fishing spots that made our sims walk a few paces from there and then they started the splashing animation from the fountain (or puddles). It gave the impression they were having fun in the lake :) I'd be perfectly okay with a similar solution for the existing worlds.
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I am not getting my hopes up for a swimming-compatible ocean in a tropical pack, and I definitely don't think they would go back to existing worlds to add swimming to bodies of water. They would confine it to the expansion world if they do it and spend resources on other things for future packs.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i just do not understand how editing terrain that has absolutely nothing to do with the lots that we're allowed to edit will break saves. we can't touch anything that isn't outside of the grid, how will affect people's saves?

the team made these worlds, they can edit them all they please. add in swimmable water. put in functional sand with the ability to click on it and sun-bathe or build sand-castles. they added a bunch of stuff to the world like snow piles and dead leaves they can edit the worlds again and add this stuff that everyone has said they wanted. and its not gonna be a free update, the labor for this will be covered by the price of the expansion so i just do not understand the "excuses" for this
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    i just do not understand how editing terrain that has absolutely nothing to do with the lots that we're allowed to edit will break saves. we can't touch anything that isn't outside of the grid, how will affect people's saves?

the team made these worlds, they can edit them all they please. add in swimmable water. put in functional sand with the ability to click on it and sun-bathe or build sand-castles. they added a bunch of stuff to the world like snow piles and dead leaves they can edit the worlds again and add this stuff that everyone has said they wanted. and its not gonna be a free update, the labor for this will be covered by the price of the expansion so i just do not understand the "excuses" for this

I suppose that during the course of your game play, you have been playing or building when, for whatever reason, the game closes and you loose all progress for the time you were in game and you have to start all over.

Take that and put it to a world scale where the foundation of your save is no longer the same and has been replaced with a new world (Willow Creek for example). Everything you did in the old Willow Creek is gone and now you must restart every save you ever had from day one.

I have six saves that I play in and two that I build in. All of those and everything I did in them, would be gone, just so your sim can sim off of the beach at Willow Creek. A very featureless beach with nothing going for it but the ability to swim in the ocean. Or do you expect them to recreate all the beaches too? Why not just stop S4 and start S5. That seems easier and cheaper and less frustrating for the devs. At least that way my S4 saves won't be corrupted by other players need to swim in ugly oceans.

I suppose that during the course of your game play, you have been playing or building when, for whatever reason, the game closes and you loose all progress for the time you were in game and you have to start all over.

Take that and put it to a world scale where the foundation of your save is no longer the same and has been replaced with a new world (Willow Creek for example). Everything you did in the old Willow Creek is gone and now you must restart every save you ever had from day one.

I have six saves that I play in and two that I build in. All of those and everything I did in them, would be gone, just so your sim can sim off of the beach at Willow Creek. A very featureless beach with nothing going for it but the ability to swim in the ocean. Or do you expect them to recreate all the beaches too? Why not just stop S4 and start S5. That seems easier and cheaper and less frustrating for the devs. At least that way my S4 saves won't be corrupted by other players need to swim in ugly oceans.

But the could make one world with all the beach amenities for an ep without bothering any other worlds and saves. I think I could settle for that. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

@Writin_Reg Exactly. I'd rather keep my old saves and get a fresh new tropical world where my sims can live or visit and swim in the ocean. Why have a tropical beach pack if you can swim anywhere? Can you imagine how beautiful an island world will look in this version?
  • suzyl3suzyl3 Posts: 513 Member
    edited May 2019
    @Writin_Reg Exactly. I'd rather keep my old saves and get a fresh new tropical world where my sims can live or visit and swim in the ocean. Why have a tropical beach pack if you can swim anywhere? Can you imagine how beautiful an island world will look in this version?

Yeah I agree. It would be STUNNING. And imagine if they did scuba diving. With the Sims 4's graphics, OMG I would die.
    edited May 2019

I know. Would be great. The view would blow me away.,, and remind me of my true home. I was born and raised for my first 12 years in Florida - Miami, the Keys - Key Largo... It'd be nice to have some of my sims live that life too.... The views in real life were endless in the Florida Keys and the water so clear and gorgeous. I would love to see that in this game.

In dreams - I LIVE!

that has nothing to do with the grid it is on. your houses, your lots, everything you built and all your sims that you made are still there. they just added something that used to be either inaccessible by your sims or was more of a decor to the world but could access.

its not replacing a world, the world is still there. they're just adding more to it onto the 3D plane that the world is set on inside the engine. adding basements, adding pools, none of that affected the grid and your households and that affected the grid itself when they added it into the engine. so why would aspects of the world that has absolutely nothing to do with player-buildable areas affect anything?
    its like adding in ability for cars to pop up in the road. the road isn't an area the players can even access. the team can. none of that will affect your builds if car spawn points were patched in, cause its literally not on the grid that you can touch.
    edited May 2019
    its like adding in ability for cars to pop up in the road. the road isn't an area the players can even access. the team can. none of that will affect your builds if car spawn points were patched in, cause its literally not on the grid that you can touch.

You have to take that argument up with the game devs and engineers - as it is what they have been saying ever since shortly after they made Sims 4. They seemed as surprised as we were when they discovered while trying to edit and trying to add toggles way back after Get to Work came out. Then and there we have known we would not get editable worlds. I really think the devs were as shocked as we were.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
    Couldn’t they add swimming locations as world objects? We know they can add objects to interact with to existing worlds (dig site spawners, seasonal skating rinks, vending stands, etc.) so it seems most likely. Especially in a new world. And I imagine if cars are ever added, they would be implemented similarly.
    edited May 2019
    isaiahzay wrote: »
    Couldn’t they add swimming locations as world objects? We know they can add objects to interact with to existing worlds (dig site spawners, seasonal skating rinks, vending stands, etc.) so it seems most likely. Especially in a new world. And I imagine if cars are ever added, they would be implemented similarly.

Those were put in place when the worlds are made - that is not the same thing as adding something not in a world. That is like adding furniture, pool, garden, swings etc on a lot. Not a permanent thing.

But honestly perhaps something will change when they move the game up to full 64 bit. Who knows what they might be able to change as the game engine is not like other game engines and this one may be able to instigate changes others can't as it has smart technology. Truth is I don't know many people who even know much about smart technology game engines to ask.

In dreams - I LIVE!

that has nothing to do with the grid it is on. your houses, your lots, everything you built and all your sims that you made are still there. they just added something that used to be either inaccessible by your sims or was more of a decor to the world but could access.

its not replacing a world, the world is still there. they're just adding more to it onto the 3D plane that the world is set on inside the engine. adding basements, adding pools, none of that affected the grid and your households and that affected the grid itself when they added it into the engine. so why would aspects of the world that has absolutely nothing to do with player-buildable areas affect anything?

It has everything to do with the grid it's on. It's all connected. And it would be a new world, not a tweaked one. If you delete and replace the foundation for all your lots, what do you think happens? It like trying to rebuild a bookshelf without taking all the books out first. You certainly don't have to believe me, but the people who made the game say no. Anything after this is just noise. Happy simming.
  • isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Those were put in place when the worlds are made - that is not the same thing as adding something not in a world. That is like adding furniture, pool, garden, swings etc on a lot. Not a permanent thing.

Well that’s my point. I don’t think we can hope for a swimming feature in the existing worlds as being anything more than objects with scripted animations specific to where in the world they are placed. (I know swimming wound not be possible like was in TS3, but adding an interactive object to certain places in the world, like at some of the docks or beaches, to trigger a swimming animation might be possible, right?) Isn’t that a more likely way, since the worlds can’t be rerouted?
    edited May 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well that’s my point. I don’t think we can hope for a swimming feature in the existing worlds as being anything more than objects with scripted animations specific to where in the world they are placed. (I know swimming wound not be possible like was in TS3, but adding an interactive object to certain places in the world, like at some of the docks or beaches, to trigger a swimming animation might be possible, right?) Isn’t that a more likely way, since the worlds can’t be rerouted?

That could be a problem in an already routed world to even allow you on a dock - never mind in the water terrain seeing the present water terrain is not allowing sims in it. You can stand on a beach and fish period.

Their best bet is a brand new world if you want your sims to actually go in the water. Sims 4 really does not allow that in worlds we already have or even allow adjustments to the area where sims can go. Right now even adding a dock doesn't happen, never mind thinking a sim could route onto it or have the dock trigger them to be able to go into the present water terrain. Also don't forget there is lots of FX routing in the water for those boats and ducks. Sims do not interact with FX or it's routing.

On a more positive note though who knows what they have been doing in prep for the full 64 bit treatment of the game or what that might mean for us. Perhaps they have since added means of doing some of those suggestions or even found a different route. We honestly won't know until that time comes.

I have a feeling they won't disappoint at least many of us -
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!