Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you make your house?

Do you build/decorate your house? Places you've lived in the past? How detailed do you get?

I used to build every house I'd ever lived in, but I've lived too many places now, and a few of the important places have elements that can't be duplicated in Sims 4. I built most of them in Sims 2, and several in Sims 3, though.

What about you? Do you make your house?
4TJdLHA.png
Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    No, I don't really enjoy the building aspect of this game. I take a house that I like the layout of from the gallery and then I change it around and decorate it to suit my sim family's needs.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    When I tried to recreate my apartment I realized that I could never afford it with my rl funds.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I built my house in Sims 4 when we were closing on the sale. So it was from memory of a couple walkthroughs. I haven't done it since we bought it cause, at the time, we didn't have laundry stuff and I have a dedicated laundry room. Now, I've just gotten lazy and not redone it.

I really should, though. Since I've now (thanks to sims) taken to completely decorating my house (I'm in my 40's and my old style of decorating was, "Meh, this will look fine here on this wall" Smack on wall.. nothing matched :D ).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited May 2019
    No. I live in my real life house so I don’t see the point.
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    No, I don't really enjoy the building aspect of this game. I take a house that I like the layout of from the gallery and then I change it around and decorate it to suit my sim family's needs.

I do the same thing. Building is a part of the game that I'm not good at and I'm to lazy to try improve. :D
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I built mine just for fun. I think I have it in one of the worlds somewhere maybe, but can't remember.

It turned out SO expensive lol.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The house I grew up in and the apartment I live in now.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I renovate sims houses at any opportunity I can. It’s one of my favourite elements of the game.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I download from the gallery or I start with a in game starter home and I renovate and expand the home when I have the need. In that case I really take my time. But it never ends as good as the gallery homes.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    I almost always do, depending on my sim's money :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    I try to always build mine, but sometimes I'm too lazy at startup, so I tend to download from the gallery but in 'unfurnished' mode as I use a -LOT- of CC :smile:
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    I live in England so I have only lived in semi detached or terraced houses which is what you mostly see here so it's difficult to make an exact copy. I either have to put windows on walls that would connect to another house in rl which would look weird to me or build a house attached and that's too much effort and a waste of garden room for one household but I have tried.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Yes, I built mine a few years ago. It should be in the gallery. But it is not currently in the games I play. I need more worlds. I also built one other house in the neighborhood. I think most sims games I have played I have built my house. I lived here when I started playing the sims. Lol.... in Sims 2, I won some kind of award for it. I have always built more community lots than homes. I am not really good at creating something i can’t see, especially roof patterns. I should create the house I grew up in. I just might do that. I am not good at using the trims and friezes (sp) and stuff in this game.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I've built every house I have lived in (and also places I've stayed on holiday), and they are all shockingly small once they're in-game. Urgh, Britain.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I did once, but my home has a really strange shape and layout and doesn't transfer to the sims very well. It turned out rather badly if I'm honest. (Its very wide but quite shallow from the front- and because of this the inside layout for furniture turns out really bad. Even with MOO on, things just don't fit well at all.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    We should have all posted pics of our own homes here (the sim version, I mean), though I would probably be jealous seeing the type of places some people live.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    We should have all posted pics of our own homes here (the sim version, I mean), though I would probably be jealous seeing the type of places some people live.

That seems like a challenge :smiley:
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It depends, but most of the time I build modern houses cause that's what I like.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I've changed most of my houses and venues to my own builds. I'm in the process of everything being my own builds.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    No. I'm trash at building. Every house or apartment my sims live in has been downloaded form the gallery. I do redecorate the place to better fit the family.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I've built my own house in every Sims game so far. But since the proportions in all Sims games are so vastly different from reality, it never works out quite right. For example, there's a bedroom in my house that's about 2 by 3,4 metres - which I have to build as 3x5 squares because the bed can't possibly fit into it otherwise. But it looks really off. And same goes for the toilet, in real life it's about a square metre, yet I have to build it as 2x2 squares because otherwise you can't fit in the door, the toilet and the sink. Compared to the measurements of the room mentioned above, it doesn't really work with each other.
    I'll see if I can find a picture of the TS4 version that I built years ago with just the basegame (haven't felt the need to update it, it's huge in the Sims).
    tumblr_inline_o7kkc0HC9N1u21s2l_1280.jpg
    I currently live in the red brick house, but the intention is to renovate (part of) the white house. As stated above, it looks larger than it is in real life. I should probably rebuild this, with all the new packs and my improved building skills, maybe it'll look better then ;)
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    I've built the house I live in now, the last house I lived in, and my grandma's house that I lived in as a teen. I haven't decorated any of them accurately to RL though, I just place the shell and decorate them to suit whatever Sim is currently living there. I've used my current house a few times to figure out how I want to decorate IRL but never save it.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited May 2019

That's a great idea! I have two of my former homes on the gallery right now. One's a duplex and one's an apartment though, so they're kind of weird and not as playable as an actual house. All names have been changed to protect actual locations.

Hill Valley
    (I lived in the one on the right.)
    00.jpg

Greenwood Square
    (Second from the right)
    00.jpg

If we ever get those U-shaped stairs (ha ha) I'll be re-doing Greenwood Square. It was a great place to live, but the build is a bit of a mess. : P
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I typically build the current house I'm living in but I don't play my Sims in it. If I play with my Sim self family I build my dream home and if I'm playing legacy play I start small and build the house up as the family grows.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Almost without exception I get a vacant lot and go from there. I've several books of Victorian era house plans so have lots to work with. The biggest hassle is if I want to decorate/furnish in period fashion. The few times I've used a Maxis house it's been so extensively re-done that I might as well have started from scratch.