Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear EA, please do not make Sims 5 like Avakin Life.

SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
Avakin Life is fun in its own way, but if EA does with Sims 5 what Lockwood does with Avakin Life, it will lose most of its players.
1. Avakin Life is only playable while connected to the internet. It has no single player option.

2. Avakin Life is full of microtransactions and commercial brands - sure they make Lockwood money, but they lock out a lot of the players who have trouble using TapJoy, which by the way is not terribly reliable in its customer service if promised rewards are not delivered. If I wanted limited time content and microtransactions, I would be playing Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile a lot more than I do. There is literally almost nothing for free in Avakin Life although one can start playing for free. (To advance past about level 5 requires either watching lots of ads, taking lots of surveys that pay out in game currency, or paying real money in exchange for game currency. A typical shortcoming of mobile and free to play games.) This also gradually drains all the fun out of playing the game, unless you have already made friends in game. Moreover, to pay out "free" rewards for watching ads, Tapjoy requires ad tracking be turned on for ipads, quite invasive of privacy, and in some cases location tracking as well. The ad system in Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile is way better.

3. While there are "Petkins" in Avakin life, there are no toddlers. Players have asked for toddler petkins, but for numerous reasons (including player neglect of their petkins) there are no toddler petkins. Petkins work sort of like pets except they are confined to very limited areas of the game. This is gradually being expanded, but with the exception of dog petkins, petkins cannot go outside the lot they are placed in. No toddlers is a big dealbreaker for future major Sims series games.

4. There is no multitasking in Avakin Life. Multitasking is one of the features I miss most, followed by clubs, when I play previous Sims games (ie Sims 1, 2, and 3).

5. The emotions of all the avatars exactly mirror the emotions expressed by the players in game because only one avatar is usually allowed per player (or else per social media account and email address). For better or worse, players are usually pretty good at projecting their own emotions onto their characters. (This also applies to previous Sim games - this is how previous Sim games largely simulated emotion - by simply hinting at it and letting the player's imagination doing the rest of the work instead of announcing to the player the Sim's mood. Then the player would choose certain interactions based on the perceived mood of the Sim, instead of the Sim receiving weird moodlets that may or may not coincide with the player's story plans.)

6. Very few of the in-game furnishings can be interacted with by Avakin avatars. This is gradually changing as new furniture with animations is added, but they are wayyyyyy behind the Sims. There are cars in Avakin life, but like Sims 4 they are for decoration only and cannot be interacted with, only parked to look pretty in the driveway. However, they do have a wider variety of decorative car (and truck, and Jeep) sculptures than Sims 4 currently does. Heck, they even added their version of the back to the future Delorean and made the doors open.
I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Never heard of this before. Reminds me of Second Life.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    This Avakin sounds awful. I looked at Second Life and you only get one avatar, you have to play with other people. They have stores and it's expensive to have nice things. What I want in Sims5 is basically and updated Sims3 without all the problems and better sims, but I would be ok if the worlds were in sections instead of open worlds.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    they tried to make sims 4 an online game and then simcity collapsed because it was online only. all the issues with sims 4's engine and the complaints they receive is because they tried early on to make it an online game but then backtracked when the simcity issues arouse and people hated it.

they'd have to be idiots to attempt this again. i'd hope, at this point, they'd realize that the sims fulfills a market niche that second life and avakin dont. and that is, sometimes we just wanna play our video games by ourselves and play god by ourselves. that's what made all four of these sims games popular, that's what made them money, they really shouldn't try and be something they're not cause it only just shot them in the foot when sims 4 had to go through a re-work for a single player system.
  • katastrxphexxkatastrxphexx Posts: 99 Member
    when i tried playing games such as avakin life, second life and imvu i just went straight back to the sims 4 because i found ts4 a lot more fun.

i totally agree, the sims 4 stands out from those other games and i hope they keep the sims 5 similar to the sims 4 yet better and more detailed, not like avakin life, second life etc.
    6f4f6cd2ab6a98484802c3e49c862f2c.gif
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited May 2019
    I mean, Avakin Life has a color wheel, Sims 5 you better catch up!
    hqdefault.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    hqdefault.jpg

whats up with the character? looks scary af
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited May 2019
    hqdefault.jpg
    [img]http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Charlie-Day-🐸🐸🐸🐸.gif[/img]

If Sims becomes multiplayer I'm out. I like my fellow simmers but stay tf outta my game.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The being logged in problem was an issue that people experienced with Sim City and was the very reason why Olympus was scrapped and remade into TS4. I doubt that there will be another attempt at an online Sims game any time soon
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Ethan34Ethan34 Posts: 5 New Member
    Just stop altogether and make one of the Sims game perfect. All this yapping about a sims 5 when they never finished 3 and now have barely begun 4 is ludicrous. I want a great game not a mediocre game. Maxis has given us some great content, even the rehash of a rehash of a rehash but better. Now if they wanted to make it grand they could actually listen and give us the little tweeks we have asked for since base game. Sims 5? So over that.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

If I want to play with people I can call or text a friend, walk out my door and cruise the neighborhood, or go to the mall, or the ball park, the dog park, or the beach.

If I want to play a game I want to play MY game and not have to weigh in to what others are doing and how they might affect the enjoyment of my gaming time. I don't want trolls messing up my gaming time. I sure don't want microtransactions, ads, surveys placed into my game. I don't want to be tied to the internet to play my game either, but, I doubt I'll get my wish on that. I sure hope the PTB's understand that. I've tried some of those other telephone games with ads and they get boring and repetitive and I didn't spend a nickel on them....too old and too cheap to get caught up in that nonsense. :::snaps my dentures and my cane and whips it around....young whippersnappers think we are all foolish....we are not:::
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    It sounds dreadful. It costs a lot to develop and produce a life simulation game so it is understandable the company might want to recoup some of the cost from the players. The players on the other hand want a game that is both entertaining and value for money. Most simmers cannot afford to be constantly paying out to progress through the game or improve their sims and their homes. EA knows this and therefore, know the company is more likely to lose customers if the micro transaction button is pressed too hard.

As for being multi player or not it has been tried. The principle problem with Sims City was lack of servers to allow everyone to play when they wanted. I would like to think EA learned from that experience so the company would at least offer a single player alternative. I am very protective of my games, I am, after all, mistress of all I survey and my word is law. Therefore the thought of having another player being involved makes me very unhappy. I am not alone in my thinking and I think EA is fully aware of how many players feel about the issue.

I agree to a certain extent about the emotion system and how we, not unnaturally project our own emotions on to our sims. I would like to see the emotions system which came with TS4 gone. Due to the programming the sims's behaviour is psychotic with rapid mood swings which have no relevance to the situation whether game created or player induced. IMO. I prefer my sims with a modicum of AI as was the case in TS2 and 3. I hope EA have a rethink about the emotions system for any future sims game. Otherwise I will not be investing.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    they tried to make sims 4 an online game and then simcity collapsed because it was online only. all the issues with sims 4's engine and the complaints they receive is because they tried early on to make it an online game but then backtracked when the simcity issues arouse and people hated it.

they'd have to be plum to attempt this again. i'd hope, at this point, they'd realize that the sims fulfills a market niche that second life and avakin dont. and that is, sometimes we just wanna play our video games by ourselves and play god by ourselves. that's what made all four of these sims games popular, that's what made them money, they really shouldn't try and be something they're not cause it only just shot them in the foot when sims 4 had to go through a re-work for a single player system.

Yes, I want to control everything, I don't want to have to deal with someone else.
  • MekoSharkMekoShark Posts: 161 Member
    I actually liked Second Life and made friends from all around the world. I prefer the movement and camera controls over Sims 4. And I'm glad Sims 4 finally has first person view.-I couldn't imagine never playing without it when I started w/ sims 4.

I've never heard of Anakin Life. I'll need to check it out now to see what you're talking about.

But if sims 5 has an option where you could go online multiplayer style, I wouldn't mind that at all. -But only as an option, because I know most simmers don't like that.
    Sharks need love too 🦈

• ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I would never never nevahhhh play those games
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    I also went the sims5 to remain an offline game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    I agree, I've never heard of this but it seems very similar to Second Life and IMVU and I hated both of those. I like the online/offline balance that Sims 4 has. I love the gallery and being able to share creations with other simmers (I know you could do this on websites before but its nice and easy on ts4) but I also like the solo aspect of not having anyone else involved in my sim life when I just wanna play on my own.

I hope with Sims 5, they combine all the best bits of Sims 3 and Sims 4 and create what I feel should have been Sims 4. But obviously a better version, if that makes sense. I'm sooooo not technological so I struggle to vocalise what I want xD
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I want to see the art style before I ever buy into this series again. Overly bright paint and flat paint at that, is not something I feel is 'better graphics'. Needing sun glasses to look at a game which resembles pixar too much is a turn off to me. Please, this time no more greenish skin tones while inside a house that has a roof on it. Just no. I hope the lighting is more in tune with proper dark corners and bright areas in rooms whether that is sunlight or light fixture. No more grins that cross the entire face. Please, make round bowls round. No more pixar which makes me think if I push on this Sim's cheek with one finger it will pop like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Big flat rocks I colored in a coloring book as a child isn't my idea of rock formations nor their details. I collect rocks, and they all have more detail than that. Yes, some are smooth but they all have many shades if you look more closely. Lighting that doesn't make a white door gray. Or night bringing blue lines around doorways, especially when the walls are half down. Those things don't ring out 'better graphics'. I'm going to critique the next game with a fine tooth comb before I decide it's worth the $80 asking price.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited May 2019
    I also agree with SimsILikeSims. I don't want "The Sims 5" to be like "Avakin Life". The game "Avakin Life" is HARD for me to play, and too confusing as well as expensive. As Teena94 said, "I like the online/offline balance that Sims 4 has. I love the gallery and being able to share creations with other simmers (I know you could do this on websites before but its nice and easy on ts4) but I also like the solo aspect of not having anyone else involved in my sim life when I just wanna play on my own".

• ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    This was a whole post complaining about some game I've never heard of.
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
  • CABALCABAL Posts: 56 Member
    If they go the same route they did with SimCity even, EA will be left only with sports games which don't have strong loyal fanbase unlike The Sims.
  • LuteLute Posts: 60 Member
    My sisters and I have been dying for an online sims game. Remember Sims Online? That was fun.

If Sims 5 had an online option I'd be ecstatic. Add pls.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited May 2019
    mika wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg
    Charlie-Day-plum.gif

If Sims becomes multiplayer I'm out. I like my fellow simmers but stay tf outta my game.

Mood

Imagine you build a very nice house just so that your friends build an ugly shed right next to it
    Multiplayer just doesn‘t work in Sims
    a256aFi.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited May 2019
    Why always the large eyes, like grey aliens are reputed to have. Is someone trying to accustom us to meeting aliens using computer games? :#B)B)

And EA/Maxis...If you do make a Sims online game don't call it Sims 5 please. It'll bring bad luck!! >:)

Those Avakin eyes are set too high in the face and that makes them spooky. If you look at any little baby or cuddly young animal their eyes are set lower down on the face. Look at any and you'll see I'm right.