Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Front Door - Knocking VS Doorbell

Much like the honking of the carpool I also miss the pleasant chime of the doorbell. It was just a nice notification that someone was visiting just in case I wasn't at the front of the house or viewing the main floor.

Does anyone else miss/prefer the doorbell?

Front Door - Knocking VS Doorbell 122 votes

Doorbell FTW
71%
Akl500Pauroraael14CK213apisarski2002icmnfrshBluefairy286GalacticGalIcewolfEdoubleGoodiesIceyJAlexaicandystormPlayerSinger2010Mi9shaoscarWritin_RegBloosmooMeteoraStormThunderbat87babajayneGoldenBuffy 87 votes
Silent Knocking Is Golden
4%
Thenyoukissmetexxx78Emo-usagi2187Vivi_WillowTreehaisin 5 votes
Who cares!?
24%
BluegayleGoth583haloujaIsb917StrangerthanelanorbretonMariefoxprice83JennyggBriel24CaityTrinanotasmokealarm09Adria22Kathykins83bienchenCupidthenightcourtBusufuGrumpyGlowfishthatsnotswegRedSunBlues 30 votes

Comments

• TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    I guess having options is the best option here but I liked the doorbell much better. The knocking can be so quiet at times and I'll often miss visitors because of it.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    I knew hear the sims at the door when they knock. Not sure why they didn't include doorbells this time around. I miss upgrading them in Sims 3 too.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    For sure, the doorbell. Its a homier sound to me. I have no idea why. On the rare occasion when I do play with sound on, it'd be nice to hear the chimes again.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Who cares!?
    Either sound is fine with me. I'd rather that the game have a notification with the sound though as it's so easy to miss visitors at the door.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    In my irl experience, most people use the doorbell for a friendly/casual visit. For me, knocking implies that it's someone like the cops at the door.

It would be nice to have the option to have either.
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    I remember in TS3 handy sims could upgrade the doorbell chime, which I always thought was a nice little touch.

Not everyone has a doorbell, and it could be a nice house project for sims to do, like click on the door and select an upgrade to install a door bell and then add another level to change the doorbell chime
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    I only want doorbells if they don’t wake up sleeping sims. I never hear anyone at the door and I have to stare at it when I invite anyone over to make sure I don’t miss them (if they actually show up).
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    So funny! I was thinking about it last week and how I don't like that the doorbell is gone. it is so nostalgic same as the landline. I think its not even strange fr this time as many people want to go back to basics or are into vintage. I am seriously considering connecting my old 80/90's house phone and use it. LOVE IT! Wish the sims would have that as well. Maybe a vintage pack? :o
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Who cares!?
    I play with the sound off so this option seems best haha
  • PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    I miss doorbells unless my Sims are on the ground floor which is never, usually they are in the basement ( its where i keep the fun/skill items), if not in bed. I always miss the door, I never hear the knocking.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2019
    Who cares!?
    I'm sure I've heard it before, but I can't recall what the doorbell sounds like in previous games. I do know that I still missed people at the door with or without it though. This is one of those things that I don't have a preference for either way.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    Knocking is fine, but I would like the option to add a doorbell and perhaps even adjust the tune. Why not?
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Who cares!?
    Who cares but why not both, they have animations if them pushing wall buttons so why not add it, could be an object like thermo
    caitytrina.png
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    I often don't even know someone is knocking at my door until it's too late... by the time I see someone visiting my house, they're already walking away. I mean, I know I can just go ahead and interact with them, but still... the doorbell made it much easier to know if someone's at my door.

I think it would be nice to have an option, at least. They could patch it where the 'front door' would have a setting when you click on it... and then set your preference (knocking or doorbell). I think that could be a very nice addition to the game. I think they should also bring back different doorbell choices too (like we had in Sims 3)... except, I really just want it to be automatic, instead of having to wait several Sim hours for an "upgrade" just to change what it sounds like.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd prefer both be an option as don't like modern forced on everything like this game does, you should be able to click your front door and choose knock/doorbell. If someone wants to play their game set in the 1800s having a forced doorbell does not make sense or a Sim who lives in a shack would not have got a doorbell installed.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Who cares!?
    Thank you for including a poll option that was suitable for me.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Silent Knocking Is Golden
    I prefer to keep my game silent. Almost no sound and I also deactivate the sound from TV and sound system.
    Doorbell wouldn't bother me though.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Who cares!?
    I guess I only pay attention to the door when I want company. The random knocks are easy to ignore. The doorbell would be just as annoying as the in-game phone.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    I always set one of my lot traits to 'private dwelling', so I don't have visitors, but I did like the variety of the doorbells in Sims 3, and it gave my handy Sims something else to upgrade. On the other hand, I don't like loud or jarring noises. My own doorbell could wake the dead.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    Why isn't both an option?
    Would be great that if players want a doorbell, they'd have to buy a doorbell addition to the front door either by clicking on the front door or going into build mode.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I'd like to have the options. In the house I grew up in we had a very loud knocker so that's a homely sound to me, but I'd like to be able to buy doorbells and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in build mode.
  • notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    Who cares!?
    I don't like how harsh the poll option is, but knocking doesn't bother me. Nor would having a doorbell.

I know IRL I tell people not to ring my doorbell, and knock instead. One of my cats was once feral, and the sound of a doorbell sends the poor thing into a panic for hours.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited May 2019
    Doorbell FTW
    I play with the sound off so this option seems best haha

Vermin bit through the wires of my exterior computer speakers. I tried to play the game anyway, but ended up not enjoying it as much without the sound. Happily, for me, we had a Staples very close by. I exited my game drove down to the Staples and purchased a set of headphones. I used to own a set, but made the serious mistake of allowing my youngest son to 'borrow' them. Who knows what happened to them? (Only the Shadow knows.) They certainly weren't around when I needed them. LOL At any rate, I respect your manner of playing. I just need the sound.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Doorbell FTW
    Sometimes when I play a 2 story house and my sim is on the second floor, or have a radio or the tv on anywhere in the house I don't hear the knocking at all. It would be nice to have a doorbell because that would I think cut through the other clamor.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Dont particularly care, since there was never an actual doorbell next to the doors but having both options is always good.
    5vJrxmT.png