Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aside from CAS, where does TS4 excel?

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2019
    @drake_mccarty And some people found live mode in sims 3 very dull.I mainly dabbled in CAS in sims 3 and played the households virtually none. Just because sims 3 had tools to be more creative in build mode and in CAS doesnt mean it had the best SIMS. The sims were bad imo. I commented about Sims 4 having the best sims characters , better than Sims 3 on the sims subreddit, better than before and got plenty of upvotes on that comment and so did the other user who said they find Sims 4 superior,which I was actually responding to, so im just saying, its not everybody who thinks sims 4 is worst in that area, by any stretch. Play whichever game you like. But for me Sims 4 has the strongest live mode so far.

I agree 100%. With multitasking and just how much more emotive the sims are in the Sims 4 with their facial expressions makes live mode far more interesting to me than in any previous iteration of the sims games. Live mode has always been my main focus in every sims game that I have played and I'm personally finding the sims 4 to be most enjoyable.

My only real complaint is the lack of bug fixing. My sims have been randomly teleporting round their homes for far to long now.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    There are some things that i really appreciate about The sims 4 over any other version of this game. When I play, i come to realise certain aspects and then I always forget what they were.

Some I can remember:

- Multitasking!
    - Easier, faster and smoother routing for sims/pets
    - When sims automatically keep talking after clicking just 1 social interaction
    - Freelance careers. Actually more the option where u can set ANY type of career description for your sim.
    - Travel through worlds
    - Electricity/water cuts adds more realism
    - Fast loading screens. Even with over 1GB CC :D
    - Different wall heights, roof friezes and glass roofs
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Freelancing is great. Traveling through worlds is my favorite :)
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    What the sims 4 lacks in depth, it makes up for in shallowness.

I wish we still had the lol button
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    A few off the top of mind.

Different weather in different worlds.
    Clubs
    Holidays
    Active careers
    Not having to throw away the newspaper
    Rotational play
    Graphics
    Multitasking
    Restaurants that aren’t rabbit holes
    Less jealousy
  • Options
    godzilla166godzilla166 Posts: 68 Member
    There is actually a lot of Sims 4 features that I love and going back to Sims 3 was just kinda weird.
    -UI is better
    -The Sims look gorgeous, most realistic Sims yet and I actually love just admiring my creations.
    -Venues actually feel busy and used, clubs are full of people which is awesome unlike Sims 3 where you pulled teeth to get more than 3 sims
    -The build mode options are amazing, never could I build what I have built in Sims 4 in other Sims games, especially the friezes, roofs, and other architectural details
    -Story progression
    -Multi-tasking
    -I kinda like the emotions as well
    -Gallery is pretty cool and easy compared to old way of sharing lots
    -San Myshuno is such a unique world
    Not exactly game itself but the mods are really cool I love them.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Roofs have never been easier. I love the camera, and the flexibility in choosing clothes and playing around with sims' gender/pregnancy mechanics. It's a lean game in ways, but it performs so much better than TS3!
  • Options
    ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    I’ll always love the sims 3, but more for nostalgia. I tried playing a while back and was struck by the awkwardness of the sims. No multi tasking means lots of awkward silences while sims do things like eat or paint. There was never any sims at community lots and it was a silent ghost world. Sims move around easier and smoother in sims 4, genetics are amazing and oh my lord the clothing in sims 3 was something else. Truly horrendous options. Emotions make the game more immersive, I find that when I switch to a certain sim in the household more often than not I find them making a funny face or getting up to some kind of shenanigans. In sims 3 they always look murderous and are just less life like, in my opinion. Sims 4 is missing a lot of features but what they have added is so much better than previous games, like toddlers, pets, weather etc. (toddlers are so boring in sims 3 wow) Sims 4 really captures the obsurdity and silliness of the game, for me.
  • Options
    That's my main thing. The sims. The characters. :D sims in 3 often did look angry and ready to kill someone when standing still lol. I just think sims 4 has the most lifelike, believable sims we've had so far :)
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    The Sims has a few things that I find better than previous Sims games,
    Toddlers
    Buy mode has some of the best furniture I have seen. I like almost all of it!
    CAS
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited May 2019
    @drake_mccarty I love live mode and I agree with @Sharonia . You might not enjoy this game. We all have our reasons, but live mode is awesome for those of us who enjoy it.

Good for you. I think live mode is very repetitive, very dull, and VERY predictable. If you don’t mind me asking; what reasons make you love live mode or feel it’s awesome?

Regardless of anything live mode is without a doubt the weakest part of the game. For most of it’s development it was designed for multiplayer over the internet not single player at all. It was slapped together into what we have super quickly and poorly. Hence why so many people complain about it.

@drake_mccarty And some people found live mode in sims 3 very dull.I mainly dabbled in CAS in sims 3 and played the households virtually none. Just because sims 3 had tools to be more creative in build mode and in CAS doesnt mean it had the best SIMS. The sims were bad imo. I commented about Sims 4 having the best sims characters , better than Sims 3 on the sims subreddit, better than before and got plenty of upvotes on that comment and so did the other user who said they find Sims 4 superior,which I was actually responding to, so im just saying, its not everybody who thinks sims 4 is worst in that area, by any stretch. Play whichever game you like. But for me Sims 4 has the strongest live mode so far.

So you prefer more animation? That’s the only real noticeable difference between the two. In terms of simulation Sims 4 is terrible. Traits mean nothing, your Sims don’t have personalities, AI is similarly just as bad. But hey, if it has good looking characters that’s all that matters right? Live mode in Sims 4 is sooooooo watered down. Not even just compared to Sims 3, even Sims 2 had a more engaging live mode with more enjoyable characters albeit graphically it wasn’t designed to resemble a cartoon like this game so I guess that’s why you found it dull. Saying Sims 4 is the best is like saying Boone's farm is top shelf wine. Experience with better things says otherwise, but the young ones will take what they can get.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Toddlers, clubs and multitasking are the only features I would say Sims 4 excelled at over past games. Sure CAS has some nice improvements over past games but it also has limitations like set colors on hair, clothing and no body hair so in some ways it has gone backwards.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Im not young or new to the sims. I can afford to buy Sims 3 and all the DLC. But I never would because I dont like that game. It seems to me, that you cant seem to process the fact that better or worse is a matter of opinion. I dont like live mode in Sims 3. The sims are wooden , ugly and lack any personality that might otherwise make them endearing. Say what you wish, I prefer Sims 4. Ive been in this sims game stuff since the Sims 1, all of the fake condescension in the world doesnt make you any more of an expert than I am @drake_mccarty

Saying that your opinion is fact is like...well, not a fact :D

As far as using cartoon as an insult. I find that funny. I see many many people who like the cartoony look. Sims 3's only strong points were create a style and open world. The sims were very dull and that is where I stand on the issue
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Toddlers, clubs and multitasking are the only features I would say Sims 4 excelled at over past games. Sure CAS has some nice improvements over past games but it also has limitations like set colors on hair, clothing and no body hair so in some ways it has gone backwards.

And they pulled loading screens back into the mix especially in this day and time, loading screens today is yesteryear technology.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    The look, the Vampires, the Aliens... making a home is so much easier (even if I still suck at it), CAS is fun for me (rather than tedious and awful), the curly hairs are gorgeous, the gender filter in CAS is amazing, the community it has in CC and mods is HUGE, it runs on basic computers and it seems like a more entry level player, than say, Sims 3. Sims 3 comes across as a harder start, and is harder to learn to play, though many adore it. I personally find it too hard to keep up with a household when the Open World means switching between Sims on opposite ends of town.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Different strokes for different folks Sims 4 may run on basic computers but it is not w/o cost as most of the features are not innovative for me and my system I am running on is not basic and like meaty features to chew on Sims 4 is nothing but an snack for my system it challenges nothing as there is nothing to be challenged. The features are basic at an tablet/Ipad level. However, again different strokes for different folks and my system knows what it likes and dislike. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Im not young or new to the sims. I can afford to buy Sims 3 and all the DLC. But I never would because I dont like that game. It seems to me, that you cant seem to process the fact that better or worse is a matter of opinion. I dont like live mode in Sims 3. The sims are wooden , ugly and lack any personality that might otherwise make them endearing. Say what you wish, I prefer Sims 4. Ive been in this sims game stuff since the Sims 1, all of the fake condescension in the world doesnt make you any more of an expert than I am @drake_mccarty

Saying that your opinion is fact is like...well, not a fact :D

As far as using cartoon as an insult. I find that funny. I see many many people who like the cartoony look. Sims 3's only strong points were create a style and open world. The sims were very dull and that is where I stand on the issue

Better or worse is a matter of opinion, how something functions is not. I know how live mode plays in Sims 1-3, and I also know how it plays in Sims 4. Yes Sims 4 sims are more animated, they have more exaggerated animations, and have a lot more idle animations than Sims 3. So yes in that regard Sims 3 sims are duller. I understand you there, but that’s a superficial assessment of the simulation running bts which is way more important than animations or graphics in a game like The Sims. I love Sims 3, even with it’s stiff animation and sometimes robotic Sims, because the simulation is excellent. Sure that last part is my opinion, but it’s coming off the irrefutable fact that Sims 4 has poorer simulation running behind the scenes. It always has and it always will. They slapped the AI together from an online game that was nothing like a traditional Sims game.

But hey, you like it and that’s all you need to say. Arguing with people who are just trying to get a decent 4th entry of a popular simulation game doesn’t do anything when we are clearly talking about two different things. You prefer Sims 4 because of the Sims, which I have described what sets them apart, and literally i’d be on board too if the simulation was on par with what a 4th gen Sims game should have.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited May 2019
    I loved The Sims when it first came out and all the sequels since. Each one has brought something new for me to love and TS4 is no exception. I was a big TS2 fan back in it's day and TS4 has brought some of that magic back. Of course TS4 CAS is a lot of fun, but aside from that I really love the graphics/art style. It's just so pretty and runs so well on my PC, I couldn't go back now. Although I would like it to be developed further, I also really like the emotion system and how animated my sims are. I also love the multi-tasking, being able to travel/move freely between worlds, the different career type options, and the gallery. There are some bugs that need fixing, but nothing game breaking for me that requires mods. The vampires are our best yet and build mode, toddlers, pets, and the clubs, holidays and fame/reputation systems are all really well done and so versatile and perfect for storytelling.
  • Options
    kaspertellykaspertelly Posts: 23 Member
    > @baranouta said:
    > When I tried it a while back, I couldn't get into TS4. I think I found myself trying to play the same way I did in TS3, but of course that didn't work and so I just became aware of the things from TS3 I'm used to that it lacked. I know I had to adjust my play style when I made the switch from TS2 to TS3 as well, so I started to wonder in hindsight if perhaps I simply need to play to TS4's strengths more in order to fully enjoy it.
    >
    > What really sets TS4 apart to you? What kind of stories is TS4 best at?

My sim is emotional
  • Options
    kaspertellykaspertelly Posts: 23 Member
    BUILD MODE!
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Performance
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Drakos wrote: »
    Not having to throw away the newspaper

Different people, different priorities, I actually miss the newspaper. It was some kind of realism when one of my sims was already retired, everyone went to work, and he just sat in a chair reading the newspaper.
    And when you had a dog who brought the newspaper to your bedside in the morning.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2019
    Plus all the positive comments mentioned, I like the fact that you can choose your immediate neighbours when you move your first Sim into a lot. I get to move in all my favourite saved Sims in and they get their houses free of charge. It's a very useful cheat that you don't even need the cheat panel for.

I also like the fact that I can create a very reasonable UK cul-de-sac (in Willow Creek) with my UK build houses, Tudor World in Newcrest and screenshots of countryside that look good as a laptop background. The screenshots look great when used as slideshow backgrounds changing every day.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    It excels on lagging on gaming laptops. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    Sims 4 doesnt lag on my gaming laptops that ive had. Define lag.