Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should there be a wheelchair/chrutch/cane "Walkstyle"

2...Next

Comments

• DriggerDrigger Posts: 168 Member
    Yes
    @nerdfashion That's cool, what kind of stories would something like this help you create?

Btw, I love the Harry Potter pictures :)
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Yes
    @Drigger thanks! This would help a lot of my stories. For example, one that I've done is a single Mom with twin girls, one of which is paralyzed from the waist down. The mother and the able twin are abusive to the disabled twin, and they don't help her bathe or go to the bathroom or even go to sleep. The mother remarries and has another daughter with her new husband. When the daughter is a child she finds out about this and she helps her run away. I'm still working on the rest.
    funny-gifs20.gif

Yes
    @nerdfashion that's pretty wicked in two senses of the word :D sounds fun though!
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Yes
    I think they couldn't animate the wheelchair properly, for the same reason teens are the same height as adult it'd be a lot of animation reworks.

But a cane/crutch should definitely be an option, if they use the slouchy walk style an option to choose a cane from an umbrella stand type object
    caitytrina.png
    Yes
    @CaityTrina I still disagree with the whole animation thing, but I kind of agree with the slouchy walk with a cane. The walkstyle should, at the very least, not be fully erect. A little slouchy because of the cane positioning. But again, I think the wheelchair animations are being overthought. Maxis has been around for a VERY long time and they have created far more complex things in games and animations. If they can't create a wheelchair and the animation that goes with it, they really need to hire better animators. Just saying, creating an evolving galaxy in spore/dark spore, creation editors for vehicles in spore, life and legacies in all the sims, and other games and functions is a lot tougher than the animation required to make a wheelchair motion/animations are. There are just so many things that EA/Maxis has done animation wise that is being forgotten by you guys thinking the animation is too hard.

No offense :D
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Yes
    Drigger wrote: »
    @CaityTrina I still disagree with the whole animation thing, but I kind of agree with the slouchy walk with a cane. The walkstyle should, at the very least, not be fully erect. A little slouchy because of the cane positioning. But again, I think the wheelchair animations are being overthought. Maxis has been around for a VERY long time and they have created far more complex things in games and animations. If they can't create a wheelchair and the animation that goes with it, they really need to hire better animators. Just saying, creating an evolving galaxy in spore/dark spore, creation editors for vehicles in spore, life and legacies in all the sims, and other games and functions is a lot tougher than the animation required to make a wheelchair motion/animations are. There are just so many things that EA/Maxis has done animation wise that is being forgotten by you guys thinking the animation is too hard.

Drigger wrote: »

I don't think animation is hard for them (it's their livelihood afterall) but it's time consuming. They'd have to rerig animations from every pack to work with the new height, rig new animations for interactions with the height different sims (from tot to adult), and it is something that should be a patch (imagine putting disabilities behind a paywall, the backlash they'd get) so it'd be a lot of time for something that will return no profit.
    caitytrina.png
    Yes
    @CaityTrina EA has started to figure out the whole, "we don't want to pay for the unnecessary", thing lately. I couldn't imagine they'd do this as a pack, but more of a generic remapping. They're doing this pretty consistently with a lot of other games right now. So technically, they have a payback plan when they add big remaps of their systems. I mean, they are a hungry money pit. Whether gamers know it or not, that's why the prices for expacks and stuff packs; and games themselves, keep going up.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Yes
    DeKay wrote: »
    No. They're already too lazy to make teenagers a different height due to animations, you think they gon do one for wheelchaired people?

Maybe for people with canes or crutches is doable but wheel chair bound sims may have extra animations look on getting on the bed cuz it will be awkward to suddenly make them stand up and move the blanket to get inside like the default animation. XD
    Joking around for a minute, I hope when sims on crutches need to go upstairs they just t-pose with their crutches and ascend up the stairs like some kind of god.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • simlimbsimlimb Posts: 52 Member
    Yes
    I will always support more inclusivity
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2019
    No
    No. It's one thing to want it for gameplay but if it's anything to do with representation and stuff then no, never. The game doesn't have all the attributes needed to make my simself but you don't see me pining for random things. It's just a game for entertainment not a tool for your identification.
    *I mean general you, not aimed at anyone specifically
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Yes
    I think it would be great to have the canes for the elderly, we have had those before. What we haven't had yet in the series, is crutches and wheelchairs. I think those would be a great edition to the game!

This doesn't have to be too complicated to me. I would like to see wheelchairs sitting in the waiting room of hospitals and homes/elderly homes. Use them to sit in, no different than sitting in a chair.
    As far as eating a meal, they could have the option to have a sim wheel them to the table just like pushing a stroller before, or just teleport the sim to the table in a wheelchair and eat with the family. If they can attach highchairs to tables, maybe they could a wheelchair.
    I think it is a touchy subject, but I want them. I think it would be easy to patch them in the base game instead of buying a pack (I would buy the pack though), so people wouldn't have to activate/use them if not needed/wanted. Also, it would be great for the realism and story tellers.

I do have a disability, and I do have a walker I use when needed. If going to the mall (anything which requires a lot of walking) my kids make sure I have a wheelchair to use.

We don't have to get into all the heavy stuff, where you think it should be done right or don't do it at all. Too many different disabilities out there to make it right. Just start by adding it in a simple way and letting the people choose how they tell their stories. If you want to make a sim sit in the chair or lay in the bed all the time, that is their story.
    Yes
    @FairyGodMother I've been waiting for someone who actually uses one of these items in real life to comment, so thanks for taking that step! I am in total agreement with you on everything you stated. It is, in no doubt, a touchy subject and I think that there's a lot of comments here that display that clearly. The only thing, and I think this is what some people are having trouble or negative reactions, is that Sims is where people tend to go to create their "perfect world". They aren't looking to have that interrupted by adding something imperfect.

But that's the point of this thread. Where there is that sense of perfection, there are always going to be people who want to take it a step further. The total eradication of the negative is just what some people want.

@Simpkin I wish you would have phrased that a bit differently :/
    I agree that Sims is largely for entertainment, however, there are many people who enjoy recreating themselves. I'm not going to lie, I'm one of those people. Don't you at all think that people should have the option to do that if they wanted to? I mean, Sims is the ultimate life simulator and maybe its a way they learn how to cope with something that actually happened. Seriously, where's the harm in using it to give yourself some "identification".
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Yes
    I noticed the other day, while browsing the gallery, that someone made a painting/wall art of a handicap parking spot with no cc. To me, that is my realistic way of playing. You see them at restaurants and just about anywhere you go in real life now. That will be very useful in my game.

I think everyone plays their game somewhat realistic though. You have to have a toilet, fridge, etc. I even think that people wouldn't mind using the wheelchairs/crutches/canes or even the handicap parking spot in their games, even if they don't know anyone with a disability.
    Yes
    I'd say that seems to be the case in most games. I do have a few alien houses, so you can't tell me Sims is 100% realistic. I think it would be better to add some more realistic features though. I get that this idea of wheelchairs, crutches, and canes is probably not the most pressing feature to add, but I'd like to see it at some point. I can't say that I'd be into playing a range of disabilities, like I think most people thought I was suggesting. It would just be kinda cool to have the option to choose it if ya wanted to.
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Yes
    I recall that someone modded a wheelchair into TS3. It was stationary.... Why can't this be done for TS4? It would be easier to make that instead of animating it. Kinda defeats the purpose though, eh?
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    In theory yes, as it would open up all sorts of avenues when it comes to storytelling and making realistic / accurate simselves, but I do have some concerns that have been brought up already in this thread, mostly in regards to the animations.

Haven't voted yet because I don't think walkstyles are the way to go. Maybe as a separate setting in CAS, similar to the sex/gender settings, perhaps a box you could tick on or off for the sim needing crutches / a cane / a wheelchair.
    Yes
    I didn't consider something in the life stage settings. I was thinking a walkstyle because I thought it would just be easier to find if you wanted to select it. I can see that working too though. And, like I've said continuously throughout this thread, I don't think the animation is an issue. If the professional program designers can't figure out the motion cycles of a wheelchair, they're in the wrong career path.
  • sunspritersunspriter Posts: 125 Member
    No
    Voted no just because I don’t think it’d be done very well tbh, but in sims 5 or something that’d be great
    Yes
    @sunspriter At least you think it could be something for the future of the series :)
  • Hatchet_Face_PrideHatchet_Face_Pride Posts: 2,096 Member
    Yes
    Sure! But they have to be accurate with the style, not over-dramatize it or anything, otherwise it could have the opposite effect and make people angry? Just thinking of the possibilities either way.

I always thought there should be a height slider, because some people I've made can't be done accurately since every adult is a uniform height in the game. There could also be taller or shorter-than-average teens and kids as well.
    rjsWAWi.jpg?1