Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*SECURITY ALERT*

13...Next

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I can't add the 2-Step verification right now because I'm currently locked out of my email. I'm fixing it tomorrow (I have multiple backups), so I just have to hope I don't get hacked between now and then.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I had some Russian jerk steal my account about a little over a year ago. My husband reminded me I always buy prepaid cards for buying anything online. I couldn't use EA's help desk and because of troubles with EA's help desk, I had to use the Better Business Bureaux's site to register a complaint. I had somebody contact me from EA and got it fixed. Once I got my account back with the help of somebody from EA I added in the extra two-factor verification. It was a pain but my advice is add in your cell phone number for extra security. I would rather enter a code every time I sign in that is sent to my phone than go through the headache of that again.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited May 2019
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Is EA aware of the situation?

I believe they are since the "prize winner" contacted them and helped the original account holder get his/her account back. I'd say with adding in 2-factor authorization they've done as much as they can do; if account owners do due diligence (yes, I know not everyone wants to change their password) that will help. I'm just happy that the "prize winner" isn't out any serious money; maybe the thief wanted to see if s/he could get away with the scam before s/he tried the next step of selling the accounts.
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Is EA aware of the situation?

I believe they've been made aware on other social media platforms (such as twitter. Maybe reddit, as well, not 100% on that).

The original post was on Reddit and I know that a few of the Gurus keep tabs on Sims chat over there.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    edited May 2019
    I haven't opened/logged on to Origin in well over a month (haven't opened the app on my computer or gone to the website) - I've been completely ignoring it as I'm buried in uni work.

Am I at risk?

edit: I forgot I've been unable to sign in to the Origin website since I got a new PC - I can only sign in on the desktop app. Am I at risk? can I change my password from the desktop app? I signed into the app just now (in offline mode) and everything was normal.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    MMX wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    That is a strange attitude... "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all". Might aswell post all your information all over the internet.
    I believe nobody cares if someone's account gets hacked, they know what they're doing, it's just the illogicality of this attitude.
    To be totally and utterly honest, IceyJ's attitude is comparable to a child who doesn't have a problem with eating their vegetables unless told to by their parents.

I disagree with you here and find your comment a little offensives to the simmer be honest.
    I just find it rather abnormal to be so defensive on refusing to change your password because of the aforementioned "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all" mentality.

True. But at the end of the day it falls to the individual. And if they feel secure enough with their password, and feel safe keeping it. Then no reason to try to convince them other wise.

That's the thing. They shouldn't feel secure enough as they've been getting the two factor authentication requests. That's what's mind blowing and so illogical. Why would anyone feel secure about a password that they know has been compromised?!

That's what those of us going "what?!" to iceyj have been trying to do: do our due diligence as good people to convince iceyj that they should not feel secure about their current password.

Edit: but it's like horses and water. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

I agree with everything you are saying. And yeah, their reaction is leaving me scratching my head. But in the long run it's their prerogative. I know once I read what was happening I did the 2 step verification and removed my payment info. But Luckily I haven't gotten any log ins outside of me on my pc. Hopefully no one else will have their accounts hacked.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I saw this too and that is awful. My issue is my email address is linked to a phone I don't have anymore so that "two-step" verification really messed me up because I can't get on my e-mail because I don't have the phone to verify(huge mess and there is nothing you can do to access your e-mail if you don't have the phone to verify it on..no where was this explained when I used two-step verification) Long story short, Origin has no viable way for me to update my new e-mail address, even EA HQ can't or will not answer this issue :neutral:
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    edited May 2019
    Why you all care about IceyJ's account so much? It's their account. Let them do what they wanna do. If anything happens, it's not our problem. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    What I'm curious is how some of you guys don't have the 2 step verification by default? Mine is already set like that as far as I can remember. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited May 2019
    I believe some of these hackings may origin from Discord, actually. In one group I'm in on there, some users' Spotify accounts were hacked and I myself had someone log onto my Twitch account. It could be related to allowing a connection between the platforms. I suspect that's where one weak link is anyway.
  • Poekie03Poekie03 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Thanks for the heads up! I changed my password and added two step verification
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    brenleedee wrote: »
    I saw this too and that is awful. My issue is my email address is linked to a phone I don't have anymore so that "two-step" verification really messed me up because I can't get on my e-mail because I don't have the phone to verify(huge mess and there is nothing you can do to access your e-mail if you don't have the phone to verify it on..no where was this explained when I used two-step verification) Long story short, Origin has no viable way for me to update my new e-mail address, even EA HQ can't or will not answer this issue :neutral:

I've had similar problems with 2-step verification. I have a pay-as-you-go phone, and apparently, that's not secure enough for 2-step verification - no one will accept my phone number. (And does it occur to these companies that quite a lot of older people either have these cheap cell phones or none at all? I know a number of seniors who only have a landline.) I understand the need for it; I underwrite corporate insurance, and obviously, hacked customer accounts is a huge concern. It's only that 2-step verification doesn't work for some people.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Why you all care about IceyJ's account so much? It's their account. Let them do what they wanna do. If anything happens, it's not our problem. LOL.

I don't, it's why mutliple of us have now gone if you get compromised and can't get your account back don't come crying on the forum about it. But as someone is tech savvy and high on nice points, I decided to make sure that they were fully aware of how illogical what they have decided is. Perfectly fine with someone not changing a compromised password as long as they are aware of the risks.

Not to mention others who read this thread, if no one got on iceyj for not changing their password after it was knowingly compromised, would think that it's perfectly fine to not change their password when they know it's been compromised. That it's no big deal. That it's logical.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, just wanted to hop in here as I've removed some posts that were getting a little bit personal for my liking and I want to comment on a few things.

First off I want to say that as far as I'm aware currently there has not been any kind of breach or scam encompassing a lot of accounts so there's no need to get into any kind of panic. With the unfortunate nature of scams like these is that they usually have gotten into these accounts either through Phishing scams or through getting account passwords through different means.

The best way to combat this kind of thing from happening to your account is to do as suggested in the thread and activate Two Factor Authentication which I will link to instructions on how to do so: Here

A couple of things I also want to point out, if you've lost access to your email address that is associated with your EA account, please get in touch with your email provider or change the email on your account to one that is safe and that you have access to, this is vitally important as without a working email address it is incredibly difficult to verify ownership of an EA account.

The second thing I'd like to point out is that if you are unable to access Two factor authentication via SMS there is a mobile authenticator app option and you can also use authentication via your email address. There are plenty of ways to do this and they are each explained in detail in the link I provided above.

Most importantly if you believe your account may be compromised or if you are worried that it may not be as secure as you'd like it to be then get in touch with EA Help. They'll be more than happy to look through your account with you and help you secure it or talk you through anything you need help with in regards to keeping your account safe.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited May 2019
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    That is a strange attitude... "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all". Might aswell post all your information all over the internet.
    I believe nobody cares if someone's account gets hacked, they know what they're doing, it's just the illogicality of this attitude.
    To be totally and utterly honest, IceyJ's attitude is comparable to a child who doesn't have a problem with eating their vegetables unless told to by their parents.

I disagree with you here and find your comment a little offensives to the simmer be honest.
    I just find it rather abnormal to be so defensive on refusing to change your password because of the aforementioned "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all" mentality.

True. But at the end of the day it falls to the individual. And if they feel secure enough with their password, and feel safe keeping it. Then no reason to try to convince them other wise.

That's the thing. They shouldn't feel secure enough as they've been getting the two factor authentication requests. That's what's mind blowing and so illogical. Why would anyone feel secure about a password that they know has been compromised?!

That's what those of us going "what?!" to iceyj have been trying to do: do our due diligence as good people to convince iceyj that they should not feel secure about their current password.

Edit: but it's like horses and water. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

You know the simmer is a human not a horse. Not an animal!

Some of the comments on this thread...

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

Agreed.

Why does everybody care so much. It's there chose. Some of the comments people Made on this thread :( the last one being compared to an animal..

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    The only thing that bothers me is that lately, any time I've downloaded a lot from My Library, (and sometimes, it's a lot I have built), I get a notice telling me some items have been removed because they aren't owned by this account.

^^ This! I have had that the last three times that I have tried to play my game. I am thinking it has to be a bug. Going over to EAHQ to report it (hopefully it gets resolved).
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Thanks for the heads up, I just added two-step verification.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!