Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many Sim projects/stories/families do you maintain or creating?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
I've literally a notepad of ideas and stories for the Sims 4 I’m working on.

Currently, my count is around 10 unique story lines that (somewhat) interconnect, with unique sims for each.

Some are short like one high school story involving two groups fighting for school control and settling their differences in a bowling tournament (hey I have to use what I have) but goes way beyond that night as boyfriends are stolen and outside interests become involved.

Other stories have long tentacles, for example before the above story takes place another high school story builds the foundation for all other stories that follow at that school. It involves a group of 7 friends who start a school club, which has far-reaching implications years after this group graduates.

Others are pretty basic like a couple that moves to Strangerville (see my thread elsewhere about this lol), to an actress who makes it big but leads a double life via her twin science loving sister. Things get complicated when a soulmate is met, but when one sister is pretending to be the other.

Another story I have planned around a female doctor who delivering babies who share the same father and the drama of her investigation after being visited by men in black (think camping trips gone wild.  Oh and UFOs) complicates her own future.

Yet another storyline involves a priest from that above storyline punishing what he deems the wicked and a voodoo witch trying to prevent the mystery deaths around town via jungle poison.  

Then there is the story of a husband trying to resurrect the love of his life, but the fabled book of life written by a vampire is his only choice.   A vampire who realizes they were once lovers in another life and wants him back.

Finally, my OTHER OTHER project involves replacing all sims from the game and lots, using a combination of seasons to form my medieval world. 

This is a massive project involving humans, elves, demons and orcs.  Oh and angels.  I can’t even list the amount of stories I have planned for this world.

So how about you, do you have a list of things you want to try/stories to tell for the Sims 4?  Or do you just focus on one story, one save? 

One family at a time?

How many Sim projects/stories/families do you maintain or creating? 129 votes

Just the one story, one family, one save game.
16%
MeteoraStorminvisiblgirlsimgirl1010SimpkinRevenwynBriel24Cogshelltexxx78CellardwellerSo_MoneyHermioneGranger73gabrielleDestin2016RedShoe7EA_MaiPeculiarPlumbobMindsimscreateAriaMad2magisticmayagretchend417 21 votes
2 or 3.
22%
Akl500Pauroraael14bshag4lvGalacticGalThunderbat87freindlylolkeenowSimplyJenAceOfKnavesHarukotyanCourtneyVioletMoonfoxNightcryannaliese39tnb494IrishsongFurSimsOfficialTurquoisePapayaBusufuVivi_WillowTreesimgraves 29 votes
4 or more.
22%
apisarski2002IceyJrudolphaColorist40Bloosmooelanorbretonloubyloulougoodcakebaker62sekojranadetermigdeedles64TOLKIENIllusoryThrallLissyK9floridameerkatAdria22catitude5NoWayJose527ImSandsTomatplante 29 votes
I've lost count...
38%
Bluefairy286imhappyWritin_RegIsb917keekee53SchantalDJQ1308Seera1024pinkknight06taydevMVWdeZTpixiejuicephantasmkissCaityTrinaayyitsmellAlbaWaterhouseDevilNDisguiseElderSimChildKarababy52Susim62 50 votes

Comments

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    4 or more.
    I used to have way too many because I would always want to utilize new things so I'd start new families to do it. But it became overwhelming so I deleted a bunch of them and only kept the ones I really liked. I know I definitely have more than 4. I'm also planning families for in the event that they ever update babies.
  • Options
    Momo_MoonMomo_Moon Posts: 18 Member
    4 or more.
    I usually keep a few families, sometimes challenges. Right now I'm working on the Not So Berry challenge, so I cleared all my families out, but it's pretty unusual for me to have less than 4 families- I already have a bunch of filler sims I made!
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I've lost count...
    I've already done so many and still have countless ideas.
    I'm currently setting up a save that'll integrate the sims from three different stories I want to play and write. They're about different age groups so these stories can easily co-exist in the same save. They're kind of interconnected too, but in a sense that a main character from one story can be a side character in another. I've also added sims from my previous stories to this save (I should say will add, I'm still preparing things).
    I can start playing once I've put all the sims in the world and set up their relationships and clubs. But the goal is to eventually also replace all lots and release it as a save for others to use. But, knowing me, that'll probably never happen, or like a month before they announce or release sims 5 or something.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I've lost count...
    I have about 150 Sims and counting!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited May 2019
    Only one project at a time. (When I start over, I start over..)
    Current one has four households/families.
    Here’s a brief breakdown:

Emmanuel S is an athlete, musician, cowboy and free-spirit kind of type.

Robbie H is a widower with two young children (Kristie started as a toddler and Jayden is nearly a teen. His sister, Vivian, lives with them to help out. Jayden writes professionally. Vivian is a freelancer (programmer).

Nathaniel D is a single, young, African doctor.

Bonnie S is a tomboy, unflirty gardener and eventually-to-be scientist. Breana is her total opposite. She’s a Afro-wearing, self-confident, style influencer. These ladies live together right now.
    {Breanna recently gave birth.}

Nathaniel can’t seem to settle down, or he has yet to find the right lady.
    I’ve just had Bonnie, hesitantly, flirting with Vivian
    Emmanuel and Breana had semi-regularly slept together (risky) woo hoo and now they have a son; Jerry.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    4 or more.
    Wow, if I had that many my head would explode!

I do a simple rotational play of 7 households, a different world and a different storyline for each:

1) Strangerville scientist guy and military gal trying to solve the mystery of the town
    2) Willow Creek Couple who live with the gal's mum and dad while they get on their feet - she's trying to become a doctor, him an archaeologist
    3) Oasis Springs couple who want a huge family! Dad's a chef, mum's a freelance writer.
    4) Windenburg couple who own a vet clinic. They have a dog and a tomboy daughter.
    5) Brindleton Bay couple who live in a shack on the beach and have twin toddlers. Mum's in the police and dad is an athlete.
    6) City orphanage in San Myshuno. Horrid orphanage keeper who hates kids and makes them do everything for her.
    7) Del Sol Valley actor who has got a divorce behind him and two sons by two different women. He has just proposed to his ex-wife lol. And he's finally getting more famous and loving the attention of the paparazzi.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    2 or 3.
    I usually play one household per save. I have one main household that I've been playing since I started playing TS4. Then I have two other saves that I sometimes play whenever the mood strikes me. I keep a document with notes on my sims and their stories. My main household are a supernatural family trying their best to be human, while my second household is like The Godfather with vampires. Then my third household is about two childhood best friends/soulmates who were rising stars/entertainers before one's 'juice enthusiasm' tore them and everything apart. It's quite a sad story with a lot of focus on mental health, but I do plan for them to find their happy ending and start a family together in Strangerville.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    4 or more.
    I had about a dozen families with the original Sims. With Sims 2 (my favorite of the series) I had hundreds of families in my rotation. I ended up skipping over Sims 3 because my rotational style and the game's story progression just weren't compatible. Now, with Sims 4, I did have 40 families in rotation, but I wasn't enjoying it as much. Some of the gameplay is more shallow than Sims 2 and the storylines weren't as strong. (I allow my sims to create their own stories through their aspirations, their whims, their careers, and their relationships, with only a little nudging from me, usually based on a throw of a die.)

I was getting close to the 200 sim limit, so I recently did a lot of "re-structuring" of my Played and Unplayed families. I'm now keeping only 36 families in active rotation, although those might change with each round because of evolving story lines. Yesterday, for example, I moved an older, empty-nest couple to Unplayed status, and moved a new family to that rotation spot because of one young woman's pregnancy. She's having a relationship with one of my regularly played sims, and I hope they'll decide to marry. So, I currently have 36 active families and another 18 families who are marked Unplayed -- but who are peripheral characters in storylines that are building.

My plan is to never have more than 36 families in my rotation. That will mean making a lot of tough decisions at times, but I think it will work better for me to move out single elders as their spouses died off, or older couples whose children are now starting their own families. I'm essentially a "fall in love, get married, raise a family" type of player. I love seeing how different parents raise their children.

(On that note, I have to say that I love the "Parenthood" pack. It is perfect for a player like me.)
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The keyword for me was 'maintain'. I sometimes create a new save because I want to play a particular story or build a specific house, but I usually play it for a couple of days and then go back to my main save. After that, I never go back to the other save, and it gets deleted when I feel like cleaning things up. I'm quite attached to my legacy family.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I've lost count...
    I love challenges and I've played A LOT of them, sometimes more than once. I also tend to play more than one at a time. Currently, I have a half dozen or more I'm playing off and on with the most recent being the 100 Baby Challenge. I also have saves for just playing with Sims normally without a challenge attached. I don't play rotational though, I've always played with strictly one household per save.

We'll see what happens though after I'm finished with 100BC. I plan to house all the children when they move out as YAs in that save and I might want to play with a few of them. I have an idea that could involve all of them in relation to one particular offspring, so I very well could be playing that save's households in rotation for the first time ever. Maybe... lol *shrugs* :)
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I've lost count...
    I have played so many game files on multiple computers. But, I also do not get too attached to the families I play.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited May 2019
    2 or 3.
    I think you watch too many cartoons :D

But I get it, I have stories lined up in a notebook as well and I have played many of them already. I made a starter family (old story from TS3 I used to play and never came far), they are now on the 4th generation and in the meantime I created another family of a sister and brother where I wanted to brother to mingle with one of the siblings from my main household at some point. I never intented to play with my second family, but I got hooked on their story, taste, house interior and everything! I decided to play with them once with aging off, but I end up loving it and wanted to include it in my general rotational play. So, now that the brother got married with one of my main sims, his sister is one of my fav characters to play as she lives in Del Sol Valley on her road to be a famous actress. I play now 5 rotational households and one of them is the actress. She now has a relationship with her director and i truly like him. I came across a house for him and then it got me: I want to play him too! The house is perfect and i placed him in there, but didn't play with him yet. Im not sure yet. I will first finish my rotation round and then decide if I want to add him into my general rotational play. Then it will become 3 different families and 6 households :) I can manage that fine....... right? heheh
  • Options
    PixelNestPixelNest Posts: 51 Member
    4 or more.
    As primarily a builder rather than a game player, I still have a habit of creating a family before I build their house because their family dynamic helps inform the style and decor of the house, and I just find it way more fun building a home to suit characters rather than building for the sake of building.
  • Options
    IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    4 or more.
    I currently have four challenges/projects that I blog, and one I play on the off days that's un-blogged. Couple that with loving to build, and I keep a busy sim-schedule. I haven't been doing as much of stories, lately, mostly commentating.. but I still pay attention to each sim's personality... and that reflects in what they do.
  • Options
    gretchend417gretchend417 Posts: 41 Member
    I always play with one sim or family per save. It is easy to maintain that way; however, the main reason is that I get bored with the save after awhile. (lol) I then will delete my current save, and start a new one.
  • Options
    Sandy_K1231Sandy_K1231 Posts: 5 New Member
    A few months back I got an idea: Make a married couple, male and female, with every skin tone. So, I did that. Each couple has the same hair and eye color as well as skin tone. To decide what hair and eye color to use I based it on typical real life genetics, giving the darkest sims black hair and the darkest brown eyes and fair skinned sims blue eyes for blondes, green for red hair then randomized their features so I would have unique looking sims. I also randomized their traits and used a number generator to pick them. Whichever member of the couple was first was the sim I used to base the second ones traits off of. Once again by using a number generator I chose a number between 1 and 3 and gave the second sim that many matching traits as their mate. I then moved out and deleted all the households that were in game, Pancakes, Goths, all of them. I bulldozed the houses on every lot and then to choose which family got which lot I used a random number generator and placed that family on the lot pertaining to the number. ( I only have GTW as far as packs go so only have the 3 base worlds plus the shopping one.) Starting with Willow Creek and the lot on the top left corner as number one and then going left to right for the rest. Once the couples were on their lot I used motherlode and gave the sims on the bigger lots the most money. So the bigger the lot the more money and nicer things. Sims unlucky enough to be on the 20x15 lots did not get any motherlode at all and I increased the cheat by 2 as the lot sizes went up. Then once their houses were built I assigned them careers that matched their traits best. Since these sims' job is to basically populate I just gave them the family aspirations. My goal is to have no less than 3 children per couple and no more than 5 because of the chances of getting twins or triplets. Like, the family had 2 children, either together or separately, then the third pregnancy resulted in triplets or whatnot causing more than 3 children. Well, I play each family on a rotation for one sim week at a time and am on the middle of my third round. The parents are welcoming their second child(ren) and their oldest children are toddlers. First round was when they had the first kid(s) and the second I just focused on the toddler which I aged up during round 2 and the parents' career advancement. The next round, will be for focusing on the second born as toddlers and the round following they will have their 3rd if they haven't had 3 by this time and then so on... The children's traits will be based on their parents. I will use a random number generator to decide which traits they get from their parents, one from each, and one they develop on their own. Aspirations will then be as closely matched as possible to their traits. Once the kids become young adults they will move into group homes which will be built on current empty lots and hold 8 sims each. Each household will contain sims with the four closest skin tones, 4 males and 4 females, and those sims that share a group home will hopefully get married to each other. As sims marry off they move out of the group homes, if they are the first to get married in their family they will inherit the house they grew up in. If both members of a couple are heirs then they will choose the bigger house. If neither are they will start their own household. As couples marry and less sims live in group homes they will get more diverse as I will combine group home residents into each other's group homes to make sure there are 8 sims in each group home if possible. If they never marry they never will move out of the group home unless they are moving into another one. When all lots are occupied I will eliminate the group homes and let the sims marry whoever they meetMy ultimate goal is to play with genetics and make it as close to real life as I can. I also like having a variety of different sims to play with.
  • Options
    Sandy_K1231Sandy_K1231 Posts: 5 New Member
    Also, if the group home for their complexion is full they will stay at their parents home until there is a space available for them. If they live in their parents house because of no space in the group home and their parents dies they do not automatically become heirs and must give the house to a sibling that marries first if need be and take their spot on the group home.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    One. My other saves are primarily for fooling around and testing stuff.
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    edited May 2019
    I've lost count...
    I don't even know.no already have so many that I'm updating fairly regularly .. or was until I'm stuck on bedrest waiting for my nooboo. And many others that are sitting on the back burner.

I've been really, really wanting to do something with dungeons and dragons, but I don't know how I'd do it because I don't really use cc, and I don't use pose mods.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I've lost count...
    sooo many so so many
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    4 or more.
    I thought this was about saves, oh well.
    1. My main rotational save that is mostly in San Myshuno, featuring the sim in my pfp and most of the sims I tend to post here, including my StrangerVille hero and my band that I won't stop talking about. I have tons of things going in this one and I'm nearing the 150 sim limit, send help.
    2. My other rotational save that is mostly in Newcrest (it was my first rotational save ever!)
    3. A save I come back to every now and then when my others feel slow that has 5 YA ladies living in San Myshuno
    4. My premades save
    5. A StrangerVille save with Liberty Lee and Erwin Pries
    6. Another StrangerVille save with Jess Sigworth and her daughters solving the mystery after Dylan died trying to solve it

The first save I listed has the most going on in it. I have a Google Doc for it that is about 30 pages and there are tons of different storylines happening at once. It's my favorite right now.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    shellisims2shellisims2 Posts: 1 New Member
    4 or more.
    I really enjoy discovering the backstories and lives of the pre-made townies, especially the ones introduced in the trailers. I have started a new way of rotational play after just playing through a career, aspiration, legacy (fail at that!). I now play by neighborhood. I'm slowly remodeling/renovating/building all the lots in the worlds and giving makeovers to the townies and playing them as I go. This has been fun, especially since I have a cohesive world story of my sims. I am a benevolent watcher.
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    I've lost count...
    In one save I have 6 families from 6 countries: England, Ireland, India, France, Botswana, and Greece. Each family has 2 kids (one young adult and 1 teen) who are being married off as they fall for each other. The teens have just aged up and paired off as well. Jobs are being established and then children will start coming

In one save I have “real life” families, because my daughter wanted her Sim self in the game, so I made my Sim self too. Many side stories as well, because I have 3 grown sons with their own complicated lives

In my current favorite save I have my favorite couple, Ian and Lawrence - which deals with mental health a lot, and a relationship in which there is a age gap. It also has Ian’s daughter’s story in it, while she recovers from her parent’s divorce, grows from 14 to 18 years old, and her extremely unconventional love life

In my 4th save I had Penny Pizzazz acquire the Player trait, and in the process create a hopeless love triangle between herself and her soulmate (who happens to be an alien) and the one boyfriend who just couldn’t let her go while she was getting, and after she got, the Player trait. He followed her all over, every world, every date she went on, always crying or yelling or both. She ended up living with both of them, because neither wants to lose her, lol

In my 5th save I am finally playing the premade families. I’ve never done that before, but being here on this forum made me see how many people do play and love them. I just had these couples “try for baby” last night (I’ll find out later how many worked) the Pancakes, the Jangs, the Fengs, Raj Rasoya w a townie, the Landgraabs, Johnny Zest with Zoe Patel, Mitchell Kalani with Dina Caliente, Gavin Richards with Nina Caliente, Katarina Lynx with Salim Banali, Gunther Munch with Diego Lobo, and Don Lothorio took no less than 6 interactions from meeting Summer Holiday to “try for baby” with her 😂 The Heckings had a baby girl, Brooke, a few days ago.

All 5 saves have my “conventional” favorite couple in them, the man, Jasper, went through and became a master painter, and is now MVP of the team, and his girlfriend, Laney, is a highest level photographer, and in a couple saves she is a highest level scientist. They are in all the saves so they can take pictures and paint portraits of everyone in town.

I play with aging off in every save.
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I've lost count...

Like the OP I have bigger versions and smaller versions of challenges or stories. I play rotational and when I feel really inspired while playing an household I tend to make a challenge for them that suits them and the overall story or theme. Then I write it down in the household-description so that I can continue working toward that goal. Keeping several parallel challenges at a good level isn’t easy, had one rotational save that tanked because I just tried to do to much with each and every household to keep all challenges going. It became a “job” instead of a fun tool. Endless checklists and no play. Now I have a few themes and then several bite size challenges that can be done in a few rotations.

Themes, big overall ideas that cannot be done in one challenge. For example that I should remember that all occult sims are privileged in this save and regular sims are second class. That is to big to fix in one go but I try to make fun challenges that makes that obvious in the world. “Make 3 fun alien celebrities and make them 4-stars or 5-stars”. “Look through the vampires and make one two high ranked politicians”.

This is how I currently play. One main sim who lives in the world and that I follow closely for 2-3 days. She has big challenges. Then follows 2-3 days of rotational play and smaller challenges in the rest of the save. Making my own world building and story progression.

I wish I could have a notepad with info but I misused it earlier so now I keep everything in the game in order to be able to put it down. The notepad was great, so useful for ideas and inspiration. Then I had a severe burnout at work, whee. I found myself repeating earlier bad behavior that got me sick before, thinking about my projects nonstop, not being able to put it away. Was so stubborn that I started to feel sick again before I put the notebook away, I just liked it so much. Still fun to hear about other people’s elaborate plans for their saves but household descriptions is all the info I get to save now.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    2 or 3.
    My current save is rotational. My CAS sim had 9 children and I'm rotating between her and her adult children. One will stay and be her heir. There's going to be a household in each neighborhood, so as new worlds get added the number of lots will increase. I've been playing this save since I installed Seasons after getting it for Christmas. I have a lot of plans for each household, but I also change my plans as things happen in the game that surprise me. This one requires a lot of note-taking, but I have not yet resorted to a spreadsheet like I had for sims 2.

I also have an Addams Family save I created after purchasing Vampires and Parenthood at around the same time. Morticia raised 5 children (the original 2, Pubert from the movies, and 2 that were born in game) and has maxed Parenthood skill. The children grew up and most have married out, but I keep giving Gomez and Morticia potions of youth so they never die. I need to get back to that one because Gomez raising bees is something I think should happen.

My older save was something kind of like a Legacy. I made it to 8 generations. I'm kind of bored with it but I wouldn't say I'll never go back.