Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Heart Full of Stars {A Medieval Story} Chapter 70 *Finale* now! 5/28/21

Comments

• IrishsongIrishsong Posts: 1,754 Member
    Thankyou everyone for your submissions! I was very occupied today with a funeral, but I am going to hop on to the game and take a good look at your characters now.
    jzZP0sJ.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Irishsong wrote: »
    Thankyou everyone for your submissions! I was very occupied today with a funeral, but I am going to hop on to the game and take a good look at your characters now.

Oof. My condolences
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    Yeah, my aunt died suddenly this past Sunday. She was my closest aunt. It was an emotional day, but she was at peace with her life, so I hope she's still at peace now in what ever comes after this.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    Irishsong wrote: »
    Yeah, my aunt died suddenly this past Sunday. She was my closest aunt. It was an emotional day, but she was at peace with her life, so I hope she's still at peace now in what ever comes after this.

I'm sorry to hear that. My favorite uncle passed away after a sudden illness some years back, and I know how much it suc_k_s :\
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    2m69vuV.png

Chapter 23

It had been two weeks since they had arrived, and everyday Anwyn seemed to grow stronger. Her breathing was more even, her face more peaceful, and the child grew in within her, promising new life.

Romeo went to her everyday to check for updates, but he also had bigger fish to fry to be ready for when she was well again.

5eoI9pa.png

“We usually don’t use this house, it’s an extra. It’s too hard to get to; you have to pull out a boat or you have to get tired swimming that far. It's out of the way and yet you’ve been here for a while and unlike the rest of her family, you are unwilling to start settling down with the rest of the population on the larger islands. Why do you stay so close? You know that Midshore would teleport to you right away if there was any change in Medora’s condition.” Everstar asked.

329bRFk.png

She was showing Romeo a small house across the lagoon. It was very plain, and appeared to be cobbled together from driftwood or tropical wood, not very sturdy. Most of the windows didn’t have glass, but in a tropical paradise who needed glass? Just use shutters to keep out the elements.

i8z0QLM.png

“Her name is Anwyn, not Medora. Don’t people usually pick their own Rebirth name here?” he asked, wandering further into the building. At Least the roof seemed sound.

4wbl6hF.png

“Do I seem the Everstar type? No one picks their rebirth name. Anyone with a troubled past looking for a new identity is given a new name should they choose to take it. Medora means ‘mother’s gift’, so I think that it fits her quite well and therefore is what I’ll call her until I have been told that she doesn't want the name.” she said defiantly.

aH43EOc.png

“But if the name means ‘mother’s gift’, wouldn’t that be the name of her child?” Romeo asked, confused.

fsHV0eo.png

“The mother is giving the gift of life, that is the mother’s gift to the child. Think outside the box!” she teased.

She turned back to the house, guiding him through it. “As you can see, the basics are all here, it just needs a bit of decoration. There’s an eating area outside, two bedrooms, and the blessing of plumbing. Midshore, a few other spellcasters from the island, and myself have charmed the houses to have running water. You know what running water is, right?” she asked him.

“Like in a river?” he asked, confused. How do you have running water in a house?

“A very small, clean river. I have so much to show you.” she gave a lopsided smile.

~*~

uIoApcm.png

Midshore meditated near Anwyn in the ceremony room. The spirits hadn’t been as angry as she had feared, and had come once again to show her what the world was feeling.

She could feel Anwyn’s breathing just as she felt her own, and she subconsciously synced her breath to the rhythm of it. It was much easier to do than it had been a week ago. They hadn’t known about the arrow in her back until Romeo had mentioned it in his retelling, and while he had thought that it was very small, in reality it was just incredibly sharp and thin, like a flying needle. It had lodged in her back and had to be carefully removed. It was no wonder she hadn’t awoken yet, but everyday that passed Midshore felt that time came closer.

nao0tNB.png

Levitating, she reached out from the ceremony room and felt beyond. The islands felt at peace, as was normal. The family was acclimating well to the environment, though she knew that it would take some time for them to get used to the relaxed customs. That and their clothes would soon be far too warm for them, even in the winter. They would have to change.

The unrest that had come with the group had eased, but she felt it rising again, away from the island, a great searching. The king had continued to send ships trying to enter their borders, and Everstar and Midshore had to enlist the help of other spellcasters and locals to be lookouts for the large ships so that the responsibility wasn’t put squarely on the shoulders of the two priestesses.

Midshore feared that if their borders were always closed that they wouldn’t be able to take in refugees that were looking for help. The council had given them the responsibility to protect the islands, not cut them off completely. The frequency that the king’s ships were in the area made it nearly impossible to let down their guard. A point that was very bothersome to the local government.

When they had been concerned about the borders, Midshore had gone to them and explained the events that had happened.

J9qcdGc.png

“The spirits feel that the child is destined to be important, we can’t let the tyrant have it. He would manipulate the child, have it be his heir, and that would be handing an innocent being to a monster and hoping the monster doesn’t eat it!” Midshore argued.

6oJfKKp.png

“We understand where you’re coming from, but we can’t keep the borders shut forever. The Islands are a haven for people, we can’t lock our doors because of one man and his army.” Colton Gothic replied.

lHsphdZ.png

“We also can’t let him in to look for the mother and child.” argued Layla Frey. “By their laws, his wife belongs to him. Not to mention the fact that she is considered a criminal to their monarchy.”

zrxazu2.png

“So what do we do? The Islands have always been more of a legend than fact, a dream to people who want a better life. If we open our borders to tell him that we don’t have his queen, that could act as an invitation to look within our nation for the people he and any other nation believes to be criminals, and that happens to be a lot of our civilians.” Fugu Moo-Goo brought up.

oKqvbIu.png

“If we do nothing to address the knocking on our door, he will keep knocking!” hollered the first. “We must answer him, tell him that his queen is dead and the child with her. Let him believe the lie and let him move on.”

xJLZtA6.png

JqtJ5ij.png

“I’ve heard enough!” the center woman hollered. She looked at her fellow council members. “We will keep a diligent eye out for any other vessels, but if we see the king’s ships we will raise the border, just as we are now. If he persists for a month more, then and only then will we answer his presence. We cannot keep the border up forever.” She looked at Midshore. “We will not let him set foot to the Islands, and we will not let him take the mother and child. If he persists, we will tell him that they both died and that we cremated the bodies, as is customary for our culture. Neither will he take the family that came with them. We will not let any of our refugees be taken prisoner, not now, not ever.”

ZnGENqJ.png

The council grumbled in agreement.

“Good. I wish to see all of you at the festival this weekend..” The council stood up from their seats, not having anything more to discuss, and Midshore felt that she was still wary. What if the king took the islands by force? What if when they addressed him he continued to push on for the family until he depleted his resources?

kTqLWI9.png

~*~

2km59nk.png

Midshore and Everstar were preparing for an evening of fun at the festival celebrating the coming of the winter solstice. Gifts would be given, songs sung, and a whole lot of juice would be drunk. It was a night to remember, and yet many would forget it with their partying.

This wasn’t a night they would forget though, as they heard a coughing in the ceremony room. Looking at one another, they rushed in, seeing from the short distance that she had rolled over and seemed to want to sit up. She had been unconscious for three weeks at this point, and her body had changed. Her muscles were weak from lack of use and her stomach had grown quickly and she was in her second trimester now.

e0fxi2p.png

Midshore and Everstar rushed to her side, trying to comfort her.

“How do you feel?”

“Do you know where you are?”

“Do you want some water?”

“Is Liam here?” she asked with a whisper of a voice, barely looking up at the women. “Where am I? Where is my family?”

Everstar looked over to Midshore and nodded. Midshore focused, and teleported away to fetch Romeo. Everstar turned back to Anwyn.

“How long have I been asleep? What am I doing here?” Anwyn asked Everstar.

pYHM412.png

“Medora, a lot has happened. You have been asleep for three weeks. You were shot, you died, and we brought you back to life. We restored your soul.”

Gklocps.png

“I was dead?!” she asked in her gravely tone.

bYVRNUu.png

“Yes.” Everstar answered. “Sometimes people say that they see others they loved who have passed on in the afterlife, did you see anyone, Medora?”

WQSNRZL.png

“I- I can’t remember. I feel like I dreamt of my grandparents, and I remember feeling like I had my old cat back, but I can’t remember past that....”

“So you- you didn’t see-” for once, Everstar was lost for words. She wanted to ask if she had seen her love there, if he had passed on peacefully, but she couldn’t ask that now.

Midshore returned with Romeo, and Anwyn looked like she let out a breath of relief when she saw him. “Romeo, where is Liam?” She asked. “Is he with you?”

Romeo’s face started to crumple, and he gathered Anwyn into his arms, and he started to sniffle. Anwyn acted like a shell of a human.

tpS3bjI.png

“So he’s gone then?” was all she asked.

“Yes.” Romeo choked out.

wRpzVWY.png

They held each other for a while, rocking back and forth, taking comfort in knowing that while they didn’t have the one person they wanted to be there, they had the next best thing: each other.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    edited March 2020
    I love the banter between Romeo and Everstar :D

And Theodora! <3 (Or whatever you decided her name is) Glad to see the council already in place

Anwyn. :( It must be so awful to wake up like that and hear the news
    Post edited by icmnfrsh on

Anwyn's depression will be a topic for future chapters. I have the idea for it pretty well put together, I just have to put it to paper.

I had written the chapter already, I just didn't have the characters, so once I had my council together, it was rather simple to put out a chapter. I'm not sure when the next chapter will be out, my schedule is a bit irregular for a little while, but I'll work on it.

I am super excited for the next generation, you guys have no idea what's coming! or if you do I want to know how you know be cause that's spooky :astonished:! I can't wait to experience it, to share it, to write it, to listen to the music that I've been collecting for the next gen already. If you guys thought that this generation was epic, we'll just have to wait for the next one! I hope it's just as great.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    2m69vuV.png

Chapter 24

After a bath and some help into a fresh dress, Anwyn felt up to seeing her family and attending the celebration. They were quite late for the event, but they figured that Anwyn’s awakening was enough of an excuse for that to pardon them.

“The fastest way to get to the platform is by teleportation. I can take you, Anwyn, if you hold my hand. Everstar will take Fredrico, and we’ll be there nearly instantaneously. Don’t worry, it’s very safe. There has never been an accident.” Midshore explained.

W3m31mX.png

Anwyn looked a bit hesitant, but took her hand. She wanted to see her family, to let them know that she was alright. It would be a relief for them all to finally let the past go and not worry that it would catch up to them.

Holding Midshore’s hand, the floor suddenly felt like it fell out from under her and the sky floated away. There was nothing for a moment, and then a night breeze came and caressed her cheek, and the sound of waves hitting the shore tickled her ears. A wooden deck was under her uncertain feet, and the sky was full of stars glittering in their domain.

OncRIUM.png

3puxG8D.png

People turned to see the sudden arrivals, and Anwyn saw that her family was among the group. Her already weak knees felt like they would give out entirely, but she was happy to see them enjoying themselves. There didn’t seem much for children to do at this party, but they were having fun dancing to a fairybox.

h096Z9k.png

dlIlPW6.png

Anwyn moved to her family, emotion welling inside of her, and she felt like she would start sobbing at any moment. She fell into her mother’s arms and embraced her like she hadn’t seen her in years, finally letting everything out. All of her sorrow about Liam dying, having to leave home, her fear about the king catching them, and her relief that they were finally safe from the tyrant once and for all.

She felt the baby kick and she sat down. The baby hadn’t kicked much before they had left, just little movements, but now it was very active. Anwyn instinctively put a hand over where it had attacked her and rubbed, rocking back and forth, hoping that the little vibrations of her voice would soothe the child. It seemed to oblige, and didn’t continue to kick her.

Her father and mother were talking to Midshore and Everstar about her, wondering the extent of her recovery. It was good to see them relaxed. They hadn’t been relaxed for some time.

2C6lsYK.png

Romeo plopped down next to her and handed over some food, a plate of his own in front of him. “They say that sometimes a restored soul can see people they love while they are on the other side.” he mentioned. “Did you- did you see Liam?”

Anwyn steeled herself, trying to shore up her emotions. It was something she had a lot of recent practice in, but the topic of Liam would never be an easy one. “No, I didn’t.” she said, regret flickering in her.

nkQ8WGr.png

Romeo looked out at the ocean, disappointment spreading on his face. “I know you didn’t get to say goodbye. I didn’t either, not really. I tried to stop him from doing it, you know. I tried to take his place, but he knew that they wouldn’t spend any time trying to fight me, it was the two of you they were after.” he looked at his hand, trying to look at anything but Anwyn.

B6ejuZQ.png

“He was right- he always is. Liam notices things that we can hardly see, things that we don’t want to see. His heart was too big, always was.” his eyes were filling with tears, and Anwyn felt her nose 🐸🐸🐸🐸 with the onset of her own tears. “He wanted me to make sure that your child has a father, and I’ll be there for the both of you. You’re not alone, you’ll never be alone, Anwyn. I will fill the place where Liam was supposed to be in your child’s life. It will want for nothing. I swear it!” he said it with such strength that Anwyn believed him without a shadow of a doubt.

HD2OrXw.png

“I accept your offer, Romeo. Thank you.” she smiled.

~*~

As they had feared, the king hadn’t given up on his search for the elusive Western Islands and had continued to circle the place they should be, unable to reach them through the cloak and the swirling winds.

SKUkUgD.png

“We must answer him now, it’s been a month. We’ve had to let two refugees pass us by. Who knows what they were fleeing from?” Colton argued.

IraNu5N.png

“We couldn’t possibly allow him to set foot on our land, we don’t entertain dictators. We can’t very easily send someone to him by ship, he would see where we came from. How could we answer him?” asked Layla.

oPU6uYa.png

“I believe that we could have a spellcaster teleport over to the ship We wouldn’t have to worry about them being harmed or captured, as they would be able to teleport away if things became dangerous.” Luna Ma, the head council woman answered.

F6aqYtB.png

“I beg your pardon, ma’am, but to teleport that distance wouldn’t be easy. The further away, especially to a moving target, it’s not simple to know where to go. And they are still mortal, a simple wound would make it very difficult to escape. The spellcaster would have to be very good at what they do.” Theodora, one of the quieter council members, spoke up.

“Midshore has proven to be a very powerful spellcaster, I believe that she would be suitable for the job.” The head councilwoman answered.

efpdxho.png

“With all due respect, Midshore has become very attached to the refugee, and I don’t think she would be impartial enough to relay the message without insulting the king. And she is invaluable as a healer to the Islands. I don’t think we should choose her. Perhaps Flagworth? He hasn’t had much of a chance to stretch his legs past these shores for a while and he’s diplomatic enough. I think he would make a fair choice.” said Fugu.

The council seemed to agree, nodding their heads.

“Very well, Flagworth will be notified of his assignment. May we wish him well and a safe mission.”

~*~

oaFMffm.png

Whoever thought that Flagworth would be diplomatic was outdated on their information. He spent most of his money and time at the local bar, trying to get himself to leave and always telling himself ‘after this round I’ll go home. But there’s no drink at my house, so I’ll get another round for the road. After this round…’

Js6nSyv.png

Why he was teleporting to a ship to talk to a king for a simple refugee was beyond him, but he was being paid nicely for it, so he may as well. He watched the winds and he watched the ship sailing past, trying to time his entry. From what he could guess of the build of the ship, he wouldn’t materialize inside a wall, but it was never cut and dry with these sorts of things. He just hoped he arrived with all of his body parts intact.

6Uj7Y8j.png

He shut his eyes and felt the slope of the sand fall away. The wind stopped, and the smell of unbathed men hit him like a wall. Did they really not bathe? Even a bit of dried lavender would be sufficient to perfume a body, but it seemed like they had stopped caring a while ago.

He was on the lower deck of the ship, and he needed to get to the captain’s quarters. There would be no other place the king would reside.

4QDChpt.png

Walking up the stairs, he found the deck of the ship oddly empty besides the man at the wheel who appeared to be falling asleep. Poor man, looked like he had been out here for days. How many men had the king brought with him, and where were they all?

RqyXw7Q.png

He walked right up to the king’s door and knocked, then let himself in. It was dim compared to the sunlight outside, but the windows were large enough to see things clearly.

eaBYbvo.png

The king sat up on his cot, alarmed that a man he didn’t know had strolled into his quarters. “Who are you?! You’re not one of my men! How did you get aboard?” he demanded to know.

xTqTNcm.png

“My name is Flagworth, and I am a representative of the Western Islands.” he said measuredly.

“I knew we were close! The winds have been blowing us in circles around our target for weeks, now I know that we finally arrived!” he looked tired, crazed. When was the last time he slept?

“The council wants to know what business you have with our island,” he said plainly.

“I am here to claim my queen and our unborn child, as is my right. I expect them to be delivered to me at once!” he seemed to feel like he was in control of the situation.

pTTm000.png

“A queen? I don’t recall a queen arriving. What did she look like?” Flagworth toyed with the king.

SPljz8S.png

“She’s young, has curling brown hair, with child, has an artful scar on her face that can’t be missed. She would have arrived with a large group consisting of her family and a former guard. They are all traitors to the state, but I am willing to let them go in exchange for the queen.”

“Oh! I think I heard about a small family arriving, but I'm afraid the young woman died on route to the islands. She was cremated, as is the Island custom for burial. I’m sorry for your loss.” Flagworth said without a drop of empathy.

zGFp5X0.png

“What? You weren’t able to heal her?! What’s wrong with you- you incapable stupid spellcasters! I thought that was one of the gifts of a magic user.”

YhdsOTL.png

Flagworth shrugged. “I wish I had better news for you, but unfortunately, there’s nothing for you here. The young woman is dead, as is her child. The guard drowned on the way here after tipping his boat. Any revenge you thought you would find here is gone.” he said bluntly, trying to convince the madman to leave.

“That’s- that’s not possible. Inconceivable! I-I’ll.” he fell over, too tired to continue standing. “I’ll have that guard’s balls for this.” he muttered as he fell asleep.

1gwvSgk.png

Flagworth didn’t know which guard the king was referring to, be it Sir Romeo or another guard, but he didn’t want to be him. He walked over to the sleeping king and set a remembering charm. It was easiest performed on sleeping victims, so this weary tyrant would be no challenge. “I will leave and return to the mainland," he thought for a moment, considering. "and I will not remove the guard’s balls.”

gjrndYO.png

~*~

evwl2Wt.png

“Oof- oof. Whatever you’re doing, you had better stop it right now!” Anwyn lectured her womb as it hurt like a horse was stepping on it. “I may be huge, but you and I both know that we're barely ready for you yet!”

Her water broke anyway.

SXtCVQD.png

“Romeo!” she called out, a wave of pain echoing through her. “Romeo- Get Midshore and my mother! The baby’s coming!” she sat up further in bed. She would be in the best hands, but she had heard two of her younger siblings be born and knew how much what was coming was going to hurt. This wasn’t going to be pretty, but it was going to be worth it. A piece of Liam lived with her as long as this child lived, and that was what she held on to now. For Liam.

Romeo burst into her room. He had insisted on sleeping over lately for this very reason, knowing that a mother-to-be shouldn’t be alone when expecting a baby, especially on her own tiny island. “Oh my- yes- I’ll go and get them. Don’t move! Or- move to get comfortable- I don’t know!” He was frantic.

tbHPF9k.png

“Romeo, I have hours before I have to deliver, you just go and get them.” she looked at him while he stood there frozen. “Hurry!” she urged.

“Right!” he dashed out of the room and Anwyn looked on as he got into the boat and sailed for the larger island’s shore. Midshore would be able to teleport, so retrieving her mother would be easy and quick. Let’s just hope that Midshore had some herbs or potions to make this easier.

29SsEGE.png

As Anwyn watched the little form of Romeo sail across the lagoon and run up the hill to the ruined greenhouse, she waited pondered names. She had nearly three months to think about names while she had settled in and made a home for herself here. She had found the solitude of the little island comforting, though she often felt exposed. She was so used to trees and mountains that the lack of a landscape made her feel like anyone and everyone could see her.

But here in her little house she felt safe, like a rabbit in a hutch. A squirrel in a tree. A bird in a nest. This is where she would raise her child, and this would be home.

BXxEc7E.png

Her mother came through the bedroom door, accompanied by her sister and Midshore. The priestess carried with her a rucksack of clinking bottles and she pulled a few out and put them on the dresser to be ready when the need arose.

“Alright, let’s meet this baby!” she smiled.

“I think you’re entirely too happy. Have you ever given birth before, Midshore? It feels like I’m dying... “ Anwyn shuddered.

“I haven’t had the pleasure, nor will I for the foreseeable future, having a wife and all. I haven't found the right charm for that quite yet.” she teased.

Anwyn looked at her mother and sister. While Lara hadn’t had any of her own children, she and Dante’s (Anwyn’s brother) wife had helped to deliver the last child her mother had borne. She was in the best hands available.

4nI0xbX.png

Anwyn laid back, tired and finally done with the pain.

“Baby’s here!” exclaimed Lara. She passed the child to Anwyn's mother, who cleaned her off and placed her into the bassinet at the foot of Anwyn’s bed.

9RPWfLS.png

“You have a daughter,” she cooed, looking at her first grandchild.

R9kdkyO.png

LTAlxUO.png

Anwyn very carefully stood up and peered at her tiny miracle. “Her name is Gloria.” she declared, and for the first time in a long time, she smiled a true smile.

QQC2eo6.png

Midshore looked like she was vibrating, and her normally dusty blue face markings turned white, as did her eyes. When she spoke, her voice sounded like it was someone else speaking.

“There will come a soldier, who carries a mighty sword. He will tear down your doors but you will be happy when he comes.
    There will come a poet, whose weapon is his word. He will slay you with his tongue, a trickster to be sure.
    There will come a ruler whose brow is laid with thorns. He will be your rival and greatest danger in this world.” She seemed to recite, then put her hand to her head, feeling dizzy.

“What in the world was that about, Midshore?” asked Lara.

“I- I think the spirits used me as a voice. What did I say?” she asked.

VxlD6CI.png

“Some really weird stuff, that’s what!” Mrs. Cupshire said.

LCz7vaL.png

“I think you said a prophecy about my child.” Anwyn formed the words. “That she will meet three people, all of which will change her life. A soldier, a poet, and a ruler.”
    jzZP0sJ.png
    "...And I will not cut off that guard's balls"
    How magnanimous :joy:

Ooh, an eerie prophecy. This'll be interesting

edited March 2020
    @icmnfrsh
    The prophecy idea came from a song I heard, and what makes a story better than some foreshadowing?

https://youtu.be/MzVKsltzYdI
    Post edited by Irishsong on
    jzZP0sJ.png
    I'm sorry if the next chapter is a bit dull, I'm trying to make it interesting, but it's kinda in between two arcs and it sets things up for further on. I'm not very happy with it, but it's necessary for the story.
    jzZP0sJ.png
  • TaraIris94TaraIris94 Posts: 552 Member
    edited March 2020
    I've been bad about commenting lately :#
    I'm truly sorry for your loss, it's never easy.

The past couple of chapters have been great.
    Maybe with Anwyn not seeing Liam meand that there's a chance he's still alive!?!? I can only hope :). I would love for him to find a way to escape and make his way back to his love and his daughter but that's probably just wishful thinking :D.
    I laughed at the part about the "guard's balls", I love that bit you put in there.
    I'm excited to see what's coming next and watching the nooboo grow <3
    And honestly I wouldn't worry about the next chapter being dull, I'm going to keep reading no matter what and I understand that not every chapter can be jam packed with action or drama, I enjoy the calmer times just as much as the more exciting times.

Editing to add: thank you for including the sim I made in the story, I enjoyed seeing mine and the other's creations.
    It's okay, Irish. In any story the action has to go through lows and highs to keep the viewers on their toes

I feel like
    Anwyn and Romeo might fall in love, but Liam is still alive and makes his way to her only to see she's moved on

@icmnfrsh
    I love to hear your theories! They perk up my mind. Romeo and Anwyn haven't given up on love yet.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    Well, that's it for now. :D I just saw that
    They started getting more intimate recently after their loss, and Liam hasn't been shown to be killed yet, so it's still possible :D

2m69vuV.png

Chapter 25

The days passed quietly. Romeo stayed in a little hut next to the house, in full earshot of Gloria’s room (especially when the windows were open), and he switched nights with Anwyn to look after her.

KRjjNfE.png

The way he looked at her with such admiration, it was as if he had never seen such a creature in his life. And baby Gloria loved him too. She cooed when he came near, slept better when he was in the same room as her, and she acted like he was her father. He was the only father she had ever known.

Anwyn stayed on their tiny island, tending to the plants that fed them, fishing for the protein that they needed. She would go to the priestess’s home once a week or so, but that was more out of obligation. They invited her and since she lived so close she couldn’t exactly say no.

Her family had moved to a larger island where they could raise their children in a more community centric atmosphere, and Anwyn didn’t visit them without having to be dragged there by one of them or Romeo. She didn’t feel like she had the energy for it.

CwZJLWw.png

At first they all thought that it was just Anwyn grieving for Liam, but it persisted. She didn’t seem to take an interest in anything, sleeping most of the day when she didn’t have a chore to do. She wasn’t recreational besides her gardening, and she isolated herself from those who cared for her. If it weren’t for their agreement to honor Liam’s wish of Romeo making sure that Gloria had a father, he doubted that Anwyn would let him come and visit at all.

She would do the laundry with a vacant look on her face, she would clean the dishes and forget to wipe the table, or she wouldn’t eat at all, barely remembering to prepare food for Gloria. Romeo was worried, everyone was.

~*~

LbwbQro.png

The night was chilly, and Gloria had been put to bed, resting comfortably in her room. A year had gone by now, and she was toddling all over the place making messes wherever she went. To have her be sleeping was a small miracle each night.

RyRmFl2.png

“Anwyn, I need to ask you something.” Romeo said, hoping he wouldn’t make Anwyn recede into her internal shell.

BYqTcY4.png

“What about?” she answered casually.

YcD4Sy9.png

Romeo gave a short sigh, knowing that this could end badly. “I need to know about you. How are you feeling?” he asked.

ksle6FW.png

“I’m feeling fine.” she answered sceptically, wondering where this was going.

“That’s- Anwyn, you’re- you're like a shell of the person you used to be. I know that Liam’s passing was really hard on you but there are things here and now that need you. Gloria needs you to be present.” he spilled, feeling guilty that he didn’t sugarcoat it.

Anwyn stared at him. “I am a good mother to Gloria!” she retorted. “People change, and maybe I’m not as active as you think I should be, but this is who I am now. What about you? You stay around here all day and you never leave! I know that you want a life, to make something of yourself, why don’t you do that? I can handle a toddler, don’t pause your life for me.”

QGGUuj8.png

“I’m not pausing my life, I’m raising our daughter! With you! But it feels a bit one sided when you sleep half the day and can’t get dressed most days.”

KXeQGHw.png

Anwyn looked furious. “I’m tired, ok?” her face started to waver. “There is this heavy load that I can’t shake and it pulls me down everyday. It’s physically hard to move, most days. I can’t focus on anything, not without thinking about how I can’t be with Liam because I have Gloria and I can’t leave her!”

PwFcjsx.png

Romeo’s eyes grew wide. “You- You want to die?” he asked simply.

hOXQleg.png

“I- I-” Anwyn looked like the dammed up emotions would break at any moment, and she looked for the right words to channel them. “I want Liam back.” she said, and then she started crying.

KrUeKMh.png

Romeo moved over to give her a hug, to quiet her tears. “We both do. But we’re not going to make him happy if you’re sad all the time. I thought you wanted to open a school. We can focus on that.”

Anwyn laughed a bitter laugh. “I don’t think I know enough to teach. There’s so much I don't know, and who’s to say that it will make anything better? I can’t even help myself, I can’t help a community. It’s just not possible.”

WZD0gOH.png

“By helping the community, I think that they will help you. You will be a part of something that is bigger than yourself.” he moved to look into her eyes. “I’m not saying that you’ll be fine, I’m saying that you’ll be better. And that’s all we can ever hope for in this life. Please, for me, we can talk to the council about opening up a school.”

CRTYOCA.png

Anwyn looked like she was scared, but she nodded. “It doesn’t hurt to ask. And I’ve been thinking about it, the possibility of it. I have a basic idea of what we could do, but it’s rocky. I’ll need you to help me.” she said.

“Consider it done. Anything you need.” he assured. “It got late and dark, I’ll leave you alone. The day after tomorrow we can go. The girls on the hill will take care of looking after Gloria for the afternoon.” he smiled, hoping that this solution to Anwyn’s isolation would stick.

~*~

0u4L7d0.png

“Good morning, Ms. Cupshire. How may we help you?” asked the head councilwoman.

h54GdZG.png

“I have a proposal to make. As I’m sure you’re aware, I have two three younger siblings, two of which I have aided in educating. Back on the mainland, quite a while ago, I had thought that I would open a school and teach as an occupation, but we didn’t have a very large group of children. I know that there are too many islands for there to be a school for all of them, but I believe that there are enough children on some of the larger islands to arrange a school. They could go home in the evening that way, or the children that live further away could be housed in homes of people willing to foster them while they are in town. Or a dormitory could be built.” Anwyn explained, measuredly.

GS39qKU.png

“That’s quite the proposal.” said the elderly woman. “Families typically teach their own children, we don’t concern ourselves with their teaching as long as they can do the basic reading and math.”

kw30cGI.png

“But is there not a way to improve the system? If the children were taught to learn the same things, gramar, math, history, we could make it so that no child was left behind and everyone learned. Can we trust parents, with their possibly limited knowledge, to teach their children everything they need to know? And, if the children were at school, their parents would have time to do their jobs instead of having to look after their children all day. More productivity would be possible.”

The council buzzed for a bit. “And how often would you want the children to be in attendance?” Asked the man with bright face paint.

vQqetX3.png

“About three or four times a week, with a little take home work to keep the knowledge fresh in their minds until they get back. They would still be able to help at home with work, but as a mother, I know how hard it can be getting any work done with a child constantly running around.”

SWAAdz2.png

The council buzzed a bit more. “We will discuss the matter further. We will summon you tomorrow, to tell you our verdict, have a good evening, Ms. Cupshire.”

Anwyn exited the room and met Romeo waiting outside the door. “They’re going to talk about it, I hope I convinced them. I think I’m ready for this, Romeo. I think I can do it.” she smiled a bit, adrenaline making her shakey.

“Let’s get some food, you look a bit hungry. Come on.” he said. “I’m happy that you feel up to the challenge.” he smiled.

~*~

KSU51VR.png

“Annie! Romeo! It’s nice to see you, I wish I had known you were coming, I would have set a spot for you at the table!” Lara exclaimed as she welcomed them in from the storm outside.

AGlfYiK.png

“Don’t be silly, we ate at one of those food stalls and you know how much food they give you. I don’t think we could eat another bite!” Anwyn laughed. Lara and Romeo shared a look at the sound of her laugh, surprised to hear it.

tz1zzIr.png

Lara carefully moved around her little kitchen, and her husband peaked his head out of the bathroom. “Oh! Anwyn and Romeo! What a surprise!” he went back to brushing his teeth, then came out. “How are you? Heck of a storm, huh? Do you guys need to stay the night? Can’t really go sailing in weather like this.” he asked.

viJFIDc.png

“That would be wonderful. I didn’t want to have to ask, but when the storm rolled in, I figured that it was the best option. I can’t go to mom’s, she would just pepper us with questions, you know.” Anwyn answered.

“Of course she would.” smiled Lara. “Why are you guys in town anyway? You don’t get over here very often.”

“We were talking to the council about opening a school. Something to help-” Romeo answerd.

3LO7rXJ.png

“Help the community.” Anwyn finished. “It can be tough finding the time to teach a child while the parents are working hard all the time, and you know I wanted to back home.”

“Yes, I remember.” Lara smiled.

They chatted nicely for the rest of the evening, and an easy conversation flowed. Anwyn felt on edge about not having Gloria close, but she was also at ease in the presence of her sister, her best friend in this world.

The next day, the ground was muddy, but the sun had returned, which meant that the journey home would probably be a good one.

2OlCDkg.png

Standing in front of the council again, Anwyn was biting her lip. She felt more alive over the past 24 hours than she had felt most of the past year, and she felt that if approved this plan would bring the winds of change, hopefully for the better.

qLYM1mG.png

The man with faint white marks on his face spoke. “Ms. Cupshire, we thought hard about this. As you know, it has been the culture for parents to teach their children’ it has been that way for generations. However, you bring up good points. Not everyone gets the same education, and parents don’t always have the time to teach their children how to read and write and so on.

“It was a hard choice to make, but we believe that a school would be a wise addition to the community here, and if it goes well we would spread the idea to other communities as well. We will find a location for the building, and we will go from there. Congratulations, Ms. Cupshire. May it be a happy place.” he gave a warm smile, and Anwyn felt as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

qA1bDF4.png

She beamed at the council. “Thank you so much. This means the world to me, thank you!”

aMxDxlP.png

The young woman showed Anwyn to the door, where she jumped into Romeo’s arms, exploding with happiness. “I did it! We’re going to have a school!” she squealed.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be playing animal crossing while I formulate what happens next lol. Take it easy!
    jzZP0sJ.png
    Yay! Maybe after over a year, Anwyn can have some sense of normalcy once again. That whole "forced marriage" thing to the king would drain any soul.

I've been bitten by the writing bug, and while the next chapter is only going to be one scene, the one after should be longer and full of drama!
    jzZP0sJ.png
    Yay! I actually do appreciate shorter chapters as well

icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Yay! I actually do appreciate shorter chapters as well

I feel like you appreciate all chapters lol!
    jzZP0sJ.png
    2m69vuV.png

Chapter 26
    The hour was late, but he noticed that the lights were still on in the house, and he could just barely see Anwyn at her desk, grading papers.

c2GzqcT.png

GBdVnZR.png

The school had been quite the success. Most of the parents were glad to have their children out of their hair, and Anwyn was a gifted teacher. Her dedication to pulling the school together was amazing, and it had given her new life. She was responsible for people outside of her own family, and that was just what she needed to function. She seemed happy.

mRDC3Xu.png

Romeo opened the front door and saw Anwyn with her hair up and out of her face, in her night clothes but deeply engrossed in her work. She didn’t hear Romeo come in or walk up to her.

“Anwyn, why aren’t you in bed? You look exhausted.” Romeo asked.

“I couldn’t sleep, I guess. I knew there was work that had to be done, and I couldn’t put it off until tomorrow. The kids just turned in their papers and I have like, 20 papers to grade. I can hardly read the writing on some of them, so it takes a while. I think I need to teach them all handwriting and grammar before we get into history.” she laughed, not looking up.

Oru09Br.png

“Anwyn, put that down. Come on,” Romeo coaxed while she protested, not wanting to leave her desk. “Come on, when was the last time you stretched your legs? Three hours ago?”

Anwyn looked at the clock on the wall. “Three and a half?” she admitted as she stood from her chair, stretching.

Romeo went over to the fairybox and put on a slow tune, then held out his hand to invite her to dance. “It’s the best way I know to stretch your legs, believe me.” he grinned, knowing that it was silly to dance in the middle of the living room.

Anwyn took his hand, and he pulled her in close. He liked to dance once in a while, it was the romantic in him. Anwyn had learned so much about him in their time here. For example, he hated to eat squid, he didn’t like silence, and he sometimes liked to be spontaneous, like dancing after Gloria had gone to bed.

rgoVSar.png

They swayed back and forth for a while, doing little turns here and there, little twirls as well. When the music swelled, Anwyn dipped backwards, then was pulled back by Romeo.

IcOd6dP.png

8Ia5BLy.png

Anwyn almost forgot that she was still grieving for Liam when she was busy like this.

9pipRfs.png

“We could stay this way forever.” Romeo muttered into her ear, and she could almost feel the stubble of his face on her neck.

wvRLuXc.png

He pulled away and kissed her, and she stopped moving, her heart leaping to double what it had been. She pulled away from Romeo.

qNZ4CIY.png

He looked at her with question in his eyes, wide with pleading.

“Ro-... wh-...” Anwyn couldn’t form full sentences.

“Anwyn, neither of us are bound to another, and I’ve grown quite fond of you. I know that when we first met I was selfish, and I didn’t care about who the king fooled around with, and and I thought you were going to get Liam in deep trouble-”

“You’re really digging yourself a hole, you know that?” she asked pointedly.

“-But that was then! Leaving the life I knew behind, finding this peace with you, it’s changed my life for the better. I never thought I’d be a father, but look at me! We’re both raising Gloria and she’s beautiful. We made a life together, what do you say we seal it and make a whole family? Can you love me?”

XvmpFVi.png

Anwyn looked at him, raw confusion on her face. “Romeo, I don’t think I can- I don’ think that I can love anyone else than Liam. I feel him with me all the time, I love him, the thought of him, I can’t change that.”

mDWXeZI.png

1Fr1uWE.png

“It’s been two and a half years since he died, Anwyn!” Romeo started to raise his voice when they heard Gloria open her door with tears in her eyes- a bad dream no doubt. Anwyn looked at Romeo and then took her back to bed.

JThixuQ.png

When she came out of Gloria’s room, she took Romeo out onto the porch where he continued. “It’s been two and a half years since Gloria was born, just about three since Liam died. He wouldn’t want you to be living here without someone to love. He would want us to be happy.” Romeo urged.

5Wv4jXs.png

“He would want me to choose to be happy, with someone that I chose, not the nearest person and not out of convienince. Just because the two of you were close before he died doesn't mean that he wanted me to sleep with you if he were gone. Romeo-” she knew she had gone a bit far, so she tied to reel it in a bit. “Romeo, I am equally love and am loved, it’s just not a romantic love, and I’m ok with that. I love you, but not in the romantic way. You’re my family, not my mate.”

wQL5wUf.png

She turned to go into the house, but Romeo wasn’t done. “But what about me? I have no one. No one at all, then, so share my love with. Who do I have? I’m not a monk, I want to have someone. Anwyn, I need you.” he pleaded.

tUR9D9W.png

“You don’t need me, not for that.” she assured. “I think you should try and find someone who will have you, for better or worse, in bed and out, but that’s not me.” she smiled. “I’m sorry.” and she walked back into the house, leaving Romeo out in the chilly night air.

jwSnfd8.png

Well, maybe just this once…

071DOrU.png
    jzZP0sJ.png
    When you're writing Liam and it comes out Lima. :sweat_smile:
    jzZP0sJ.png
    Fairybox :D

And that spoiler was so saucy! :D But in the end, Anwyn will always be committed to Liam. I wonder what happened to him. Guess we'll find out soon if he died or escaped

Soon, soon. That's the next chapter in the works, but my internal steam just puttered out. It's going to be a doozie of a chapter, I'm trying to race to the end. Wrap it up, keep it concise, write what has to be written and not the rest. Take good screenies.

I'm proud of how far I've gone with this? and I'm excited for the future. I didn't imagine that I'd be writing this this long, here I am! And I'm happy I have kept going.
    jzZP0sJ.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top