Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fairies: Yay or Nay?

TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
So, it's no secret that I love love love the Supernatural EP but one of the life states I play with the least are: Fairies.

Personally, I will never understand why EA didn't make the fairy wings optional. TS3 Werewolves have a human form and a supernatural form that is mostly optional. Why didn't EA do this for fairies? I think there are quite a lot of players who would have liked a compromise- the option to switch back and forth at will but it's 2019, and new updates or mods are extremely unlikely. With that being said, I'm interested in hearing from others about how you guys use fairy sims in your gameplay - if you use them at all.

If so, what do you guys like or dislike about fairies, and how often do you find yourselves playing with them vs the other supernaturals?
giphy.gif

Comments

• AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Yes!
    I love the Supernatural EP and since it came out there is no Sim I´ve actually played who isn´t a Supernatural!
    And nearly all family members of my main family are fairies! I really like the pranks and the auras and the little fairy houses!

But like you, I dislike the wings so I disabled them through a mod. If all of the fairies in my worlds had wings, I couldn´t see my Sims anymore, because the wings are so big and blurry and always in the way! I mean, let your Sim sit somewhere: the wings always hit the back of the chair! Or when they sleep, the wings continue to move! Annoying in my opinion!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Fairies are my favorite occult for playability. They don't have quite the same intricate and complicated levels of skills to be developed as say witches nor do they usually evoke as much drama as vampires might, but I find them to be fun as gentle, friendly, nature loving creatures. The heir to my long-running legacy game met a fairy and it was love at first site. They are married now, that was like the wedding of the century in my game, have one (human) kid thus far, and what I think are twins on the way with I am sure many more to come. I expect to have many fairies on my main household's family tree from this point forward.

For those who use mods, NRaas Hybrid in particular, fairies make awesome hybrids with many of the other occult states. The love of my heir's brother happens to be a fairy-vampire-genie triple hybrid.

The wings don't bother me. I actually prefer very large ones with their frequent woosh-woosh noises. Also consider an alpha fairy with humongous and magestic black wings, maybe not as gentle and friendly to all as the one my sim found. Okay, they didn't "find" each other, I shoved them together, but they hit it off so well that they became inseparable from day one (as teens back then). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yay.

The first supernatural I played in my dedicated supernatural save was a fairy and I made her to be a mischievous nature fae who always walks barefoot and gets drunk on honey. With her excitable and friendly soul, naturally I paired her with a grumpy wizard. :p

Anyway, I actually like the fairy wings! I have a mod that gives them more detail. Also, I made a Faery Ring lot just for my fairy and her family. Even if her family consists of a grumpy wizard husband and even grumpier wizard twin sons, they adore her and tend to humor her every whim :D
    tumblr_pneapdIVmc1xq9hdmo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_pneapdIVmc1xq9hdmo5_1280.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,921 Member
    edited April 2019
    I built a fairy village in Barnacle Bay. It is away from roads and other buildings. I just added lots of new lots. Now I have to remove a few as it tends to lag a lot.

I do find the wings a bit annoying a times, but doubt I'd want to actually get rid of them. I rarely, almost never, use the tiny bumble bee wings. I like the big curly wings but do use most of them most of the time.

One of my many favourite fairies, Paula

And her house under a big tree in the fairy village.

She wished for a child from the wishing well and got herself an evil child. But they seem to get along quite well - most of the time.

Paula022.jpg[\img]Paula021.jpg[\img]Paula023.jpg[\img]Paula008.jpg[\img]Paula028.jpg[\img]Paula029.jpg[\img]
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited April 2019
    May. Maybe. I haven't played any Sims games except the fourth one, and I haven't even had enough time to get all the packs yet (I wait until I'm bored with one to get another to keep the game fresh), so I have no idea if Faries would be good in The Sims 4 or not. However, if they made them as Nyx did them in their mod, then totally! I'd be okay with some other stuff too though.

Edit: I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally posted on a Sims 3 discussion...
    Post edited by nerdfashion on
    funny-gifs20.gif

• TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2019
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    If all of the fairies in my worlds had wings, I couldn´t see my Sims anymore, because the wings are so big and blurry and always in the way! I mean, let your Sim sit somewhere: the wings always hit the back of the chair! Or when they sleep, the wings continue to move! Annoying in my opinion!

- True, but don't get me wrong , I think the wings are beautiful to look at but they do seem unnecessary most of the time.
    igazor wrote: »
    Fairies are my favorite occult for playability. They don't have quite the same intricate and complicated levels of skills to be developed as say witches nor do they usually evoke as much drama as vampires might, but I find them to be fun as gentle, friendly, nature loving creatures. The heir to my long-running legacy game met a fairy and it was love at first site. They are married now, that was like the wedding of the century in my game, have one (human) kid thus far, and what I think are twins on the way with I am sure many more to come. I expect to have many fairies on my main household's family tree from this point forward.

- That's awesome! Reading that actually made me want to go create my first fairy family. :) A fairy wedding would be quite fun to attend, I imagine, particularly considering their proclivity for pranks. Fairy teenagers would make me nervous though :#

Amphora wrote: »
    Yay.

The first supernatural I played in my dedicated supernatural save was a fairy and I made her to be a mischievous nature fae who always walks barefoot and gets drunk on honey. With her excitable and friendly soul, naturally I paired her with a grumpy wizard. :p

- great pictures! Those twins must be the safest kids ever with two supernaturally gifted parents watching over them. :)
    giphy.gif
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have never played with any of the supernaturals, but a friend made sim-me a fairy once. :lol:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yay nor nay, rather meh. I like the wings myself, though I do agree it’s a shame you can’t disable them (I mean, LOTR anyone?)(ok, I know those are called elfs but it would have been nice to be able to choose between a fairy or an elf that way) Not so much as an on or off thing for one fairy though, but as a choice option in CAS. After all the fairies do come in two appearances already.

Silas_432b_zps1a4e29cc.png

Silas_433a_zps2ea8688f.png

Silas_435a_zpsf0abfadb.png

That feature I like. Also how they can sleep in the tiny tree houses.

The wings especially bothered me when supernaturals were spawned automatically (you couldn’t turn that option off yet in the beginning) and all kind of former human sims would suddenly show up with them. Nowadays it’s just my sim’s greatgreatgrandma (the one in these pictures) that I meet and then I like it I can recognize her from a distance.

What bothers me most is the way they ‘fly’. It works for genies, but fairies? Come on, that’s not flying. They should have allowed them to do something like the jetpack thing (if having wings) and for the rest just make them walk. And if they’d wanted to fly somewhere make them turn into their small form first.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yay nor nay, rather meh.
    What bothers me most is the way they ‘fly’. It works for genies, but fairies? Come on, that’s not flying. They should have allowed them to do something like the jetpack thing (if having wings) and for the rest just make them walk. And if they’d wanted to fly somewhere make them turn into their small form first.

Yeah it's more like hovering and I just downloaded a middle earth world so I feel your fluttery pain on that one :)
    giphy.gif
    A language pet peeve thing by the way: in English you have elfs (LOTR) and fairies (Tinklebell). In Dutch though that’s slightly different. An ‘elfje’ is a small fairy (like Tinklebell), the creatures in LOTR are called ‘elf’, and then there’s a third version, the ‘fee’, which is rather a good witch, like the one who allows Cinderella to have her night out and meet the prince. In the Dutch version of the game they translated the fairies in the game into ‘fee’. They’re not :s !! As annoying as the term ‘lampgeest’ (lamp ghost) for the genies. What do my in game born genies have anything to do with any lamp, nothing! So in my stories I called them ‘djinn’ and the fairies are called ‘elf’.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    @JoAnne65 what is that marking on the wall? I really like that but have never seen it before.

Re Fairies ... when SN was announced, I moaned about the inclusion of fairies. I thought the whole thing a bit silly back then, but when I got the pack, I found that they were really wonderfully done. So while I was eating my large plate of crow, I made some awesome fairies that I really love to play with. :D

They are fun and interesting and have quite a few really helpful abilities, alongside their more amusing ones. I do have a mischievous little fairy, who is actually a hybrid witch, and I have a grumpy outcast vampiric fairy, with ragged black wings, like those mentioned above.
    They're really very versatile ! <3
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Fairies are my favorite, with witches being a close second. I never play with werewolves or vampires. I love all the extras you get as a fairy or witch! The wings don't bother me, though. To each their own, maybe I will try playing as a werewolf or vampire today, just to see what I'm missing <3
    edited April 2019
    @Pary My artist there made that, it’s part of this skill (University):

Silas_066_zps1b04e089.jpg

Silas_067_zps0a0b02e7.jpg

(I never noticed back then btw because I hadn’t seen the series yet, but... is that Heisenberg :o ?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

(I never noticed back then btw because I hadn’t seen the series yet, but... is that Heisenberg :o ?)

That's definitely Heisenberg, LOL. I love the street art skill. I recently uninstalled University Life (among others) to save space/gameplay but I am missing that one and World Adventures SO. MUCH.

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Ahh it's a street art thing, thanks. I wonder if that can be made into a wall deco...
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yay!

I would like to be able to turn wings on or off though. Generally, I like them, but it would be nice sometimes to have a fairy who could pass as human. But honestly I thought the fairies would be my least favourite supernatural but they're probably my favourite (them or witches, tough call, but fairies look more majestic and awesome). I don't even really know why I'm so drawn to them other than how they majestically flutter around and sparkly wings, but I love 'em.

And now I just want to go make a fairy. *looks at time* Well... I guess I don't need sleep.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Nay. Sorry, I'm just not a very pink delight person. I sort of like the black-winged zombified fairies, though. But overall, I really like elves better. No wings, no fluttering Tinkerbell Syndrome...

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited April 2019
    I rarely play occults, when I do fairies are a close second to witches. I like that they can sleep in tiny houses and have spells for gardening. I don't like having occult sims running around in most of the neighborhoods. However, Any neighborhood I makeover into more of a fantasy theme always has a fae glen. There are mods around that remove wings visually, I love them personally. I dislike the mermaid leg scales far more.

After seeing the like the idea of removing the wings and treating them as elves. I really like that. I may have to try that in a save.

tumblr_pqrxh2Mcvo1w2hmv0o1_640.jpg

Also, Amphora your screenshots always look amazing.
    edited April 2019
    Pary wrote: »
    Ahh it's a street art thing, thanks. I wonder if that can be made into a wall deco...
    I could send you a sim with this print in his inventory. You can drag them in there and place them on any new wall you like.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    Also, Amphora your screenshots always look amazing.

Thank you!
    Your pics are always amazing as well. Love that unicorn picture with the fairy! I set loose back into the wild the one unicorn I had because he always got stuck on random decks and would set fires all the time. :D
  • FabBunnyFabBunny Posts: 158 Member
    Ahh fairies would have to be more of a 'meh' for me. The wings do annoy me somewhat and I've always hated that townies would randomly turn up, become fairies overnight, and have massive gigantic wings spouting out their backs but they do make for some awesome stories, though. Maybe I'll create a fairy and get back to you on this one :)
    edited April 2019
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Nay. Sorry, I'm just not a very pink delight person. I sort of like the black-winged zombified fairies, though. But overall, I really like elves better. No wings, no fluttering Tinkerbell Syndrome...

I agree lol
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    After seeing the like the idea of removing the wings and treating them as elves. I really like that. I may have to try that in a save.

I am about to try that myself

FabBunny wrote: »
    Ahh fairies would have to be more of a 'meh' for me. Maybe I'll create a fairy and get back to you on this one :)

I agree but honestly seeing how much people love fairies - wings and all - is making me want to reconsider my general distaste for their fancifully fluttery foolery

giphy.gif
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Fairies get a yay from me.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Yay! Love them, wings and all. Although I prefer the lighter colours. I have several households with only fairies in them. The flying could have been better, but I love their ability to turn into their small form (ever had a fairy play with a werewolf? It´s adorable!).
    I have to look into that hybrid making...
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.