Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

15 Years Later

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
Although The Sims 2 came out nearly 15 years ago, it still has a dedicated fanbase that insist that it’s the best game in the series. These diehards say that Sims 2 is more alive than its antecedents, and that as long as it continues to run on their computers, they’ll continue to play it.

https://kotaku.com/15-years-later-the-sims-2-still-has-its-diehard-fans-1834335634/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Comments

• DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    I’m not surprised, it’s a great game

It will be a sad day when I can no longer play Sims 2, even if you can get your PC to play the game smoothly which not every body can EA and Origin are trying to faze it out... But they will have to kill me before they get my copy and if that day comes my ghost will play the game on his Mac.

It’s not just nostalgia for me, it’s honestly the best made in the sims series... I’m having a ball playing it and getting new custom content/default replacements for it.
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    TS2 is the only Sims game I can play anymore. It's got my favorite gameplay in the series. Sims 1 feels dated, and I hated the changes brought about in 3. Never tried 4.

I feel like 3 had some good ideas, but the implementation was lacking.
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    I started off playing The Sims, and when The Sims 2 came out I was hooked. I was excited when I heard there was going to be a Sims 3, but when I saw it I was not impressed. I wasn't interested in The Sims 4 whatsoever. I always thought going forward the games would look more and more realistic but I saw the Sims 3 as a step down from Sims 2, and Sims 4 was even worse. To this day I'm still hooked on Sims 2, but I'm curious what The Sims 5 will entail.
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    I started off playing The Sims, and when The Sims 2 came out I was hooked. I was excited when I heard there was going to be a Sims 3, but when I saw it I was not impressed. I wasn't interested in The Sims 4 whatsoever. I always thought going forward the games would look more and more realistic but I saw the Sims 3 as a step down from Sims 2, and Sims 4 was even worse. To this day I'm still hooked on Sims 2, but I'm curious what The Sims 5 will entail.

Yea, there is no attempt at making the games look realistic at all. I do genuinely wonder why that is. Like whether it's to separate the graphics from potentially similar competitors. Did they feel it would make the ridiculous gameplay feel out of place? Is it about performance?
    Maybe it is about performance. I have been playing Sims 2 on a computer PC I bought back in 2007 which is a Windows Vista computer - I know most people dislike windows vista but I'm so used to it!- I like Windows 7, but I dread the day I'll have to get a new PC which will most likely be windows 10 or whatever is after that... knowing all the issues that come with playing Sims 2 on newer systems.
    I had Vista for about 10 years, lol. I had worse experiences with XP really.
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    I remmember it! I use A laptop-friendly version of The sims 2. Its called The sims stories!
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I'm sad because I love the sims 2 but I can't play it on my desktop as my graphics card (GTX 1050ti) and windows 10 are not compatible with it. I can still play on my old laptop but it's old and some keys on my keyboard don't work and it's also slow so I'm just sad. I miss playing already. I mean don't get me wrong I enjoy 3 but still nothing beats the sims 2. I will always love it.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I proudly wear that tag Peter Moore put on Simmers who loved TS1 and TS2. Whom he called that 'die hard bunch'. :D Yes, we are.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MissTeteMissTete Posts: 22 Member
    I started with the original sims! Sometimes I miss it but I don't know if I could ever go back. I can still hear the original music in my head. I left for a while during Sims three, right when Sims 4 came out. Now I'm back in the game. Building and story telling are still two of my favorite aspects of the game.
  • MissTeteMissTete Posts: 22 Member
    If my new Windows 10 laptop could manage it, it might be fun to go back and try TS1 or TS2
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    MissTete wrote: »
    If my new Windows 10 laptop could manage it, it might be fun to go back and try TS1 or TS2

For TS2 it might need some tweaks, and mods but it's possible to get it up and running on Windows 10. :smiley:
    Banner.png
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    Doing whatever I can to run it. Today's technology isn't making it easy.....even though load times are non existent (I remember when it used to take me about 10 minutes to get the game to launch and get me into a neighborhood, then a household.....Now it's maybe about a minute of loading altogether.) but then the game randomly crashes every five minutes.
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 540 Member
    I personally love 1, 2, and 3. Cannot get into 4 as hard as I try! The original is my all time favorite for nostalgic reasons. But, 2 and 3 grabbed on and won't let go of my attention! :smiley:
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
    Doing whatever I can to run it. Today's technology isn't making it easy.....even though load times are non existent (I remember when it used to take me about 10 minutes to get the game to launch and get me into a neighborhood, then a household.....Now it's maybe about a minute of loading altogether.) but then the game randomly crashes every five minutes.

Wow that would be amazing if my game could load that fast... mine is about the 10 minutes you mentioned (On a nearly 12 year old PC). Loading other lots after opening the game takes maybe a few minutes though.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sims 2 is still the best. Luckily it runs fine with both PCs in the house. One is an Nvidia rtx 2070 and mine is a gtx 1080. Ironically it runs better than the sims 4 :p
    After the graphics rules etc., The Sims 2 runs fine for me, even with my 6 cores. The only issue I'm having is a long launch wait time. A full 4 minutes after I click play on the launcher. If I hadn't been watching it on Task Manager, I never would've known it was even launching. I have the OS (and the Sims 2 documents folder) on an SSD while the core game is on a traditional hard drive.
    After the graphics rules etc., The Sims 2 runs fine for me, even with my 6 cores. The only issue I'm having is a long launch wait time. A full 4 minutes after I click play on the launcher. If I hadn't been watching it on Task Manager, I never would've known it was even launching. I have the OS (and the Sims 2 documents folder) on an SSD while the core game is on a traditional hard drive.

Bypass the launcher. It causes lag.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JNolan93JNolan93 Posts: 3 New Member
    I really want to buy Sims 2 for PC. I've never played it, I've been playing Sims games on console for the longest time, my favorite is Bustin' Out. I have Sims 3 and 4 on PC, but 3 doesn't run well for me. I really like 4, mainly because the controls are easier for me. I know a lot of simmers don't like Sims 4 controls and use Sims 3 controls instead. Maybe I just have to play Sims 4 with Sims 3 controls to get used to them.

It's probably a long shot but is there a way to get Sims 4 mouse controls in Sims 2? Like left click + drag to move the camera and right click + move the mouse left or right to rotate the camera? If not then like I said above, I'll have to get used to Sims 3 style controls.
    Cinebar wrote: »

How do you bypass the launcher?? Mine takes a while to pop up too.

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

How do you bypass the launcher?? Mine takes a while to pop up too.

@simskeleton

What disc do you use to launch the game?
    edited May 2019
    [/quote]

@simskeleton

What disc do you use to launch the game?[/quote]

Mansion and garden stuff.

Is there also a way to automatically skip the intro video without waiting for it to start then pressing a button on the keyboard to skip it?
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    I'll never get bored of TS2, I bought it on launch day in 2004 and have been consistently playing ever since. It is possible to get it working on Windows 10, but it takes perseverance. Fortunately, there are people much more clever than me out there who have handily provided tips online. The community for 2 has always been so dedicated.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
    edited May 2019

@simskeleton

What disc do you use to launch the game?[/quote]

Mansion and garden stuff.

Is there also a way to automatically skip the intro video without waiting for it to start then pressing a button on the keyboard to skip it?[/quote]

Try this, I haven't had to deal with the launcher in years, and to skip the intro I think I have that mod in the game starter folder (have to find a link how to do that as I haven't had to do this in years since this is how my game has been setup for years). You would click properties of EP9 (Mansion and Garden)

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Bypassing_Launcher
    Still just as slow for me.