Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Memories/Stories - Do You Create Them?

Up until now, I have used various bits of software to record my sims memories/stories. But it can get a little time-consuming and I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do it.

What do you peeps all do to record your game progress/remember what has been going on?

Sim Memories/Stories - Do You Create Them? 133 votes

I don't keep records, I just play
21%
Icewolfkippy300overonIsb917joelygirlsims2kerryemmiebethsimgirl1010TwishesJennyggyuppspice3RavenAngel888Adria22wormstache999fiercephoenix91siminetteBigCatlover26catmando830SimKeatsSheriSim57 29 votes
I use spreadsheets to record all the info I want
1%
Bagoas77birdonawire 2 votes
I keep a picture and story record, using software such as Word/Notebook/Book Creator etc
6%
dreamergrl84elanorbretonSimQueenie9JestTruannaliese39LyrieGamingTweetycitysimmerBabush89 9 votes
I have a blog
14%
GalacticGalrudolphaSasquatch7Simpkinsims_premadeSimplyJenpixiejuiceDreamie209AceOfKnavesCourtneyVioletpammiechickEnkiSchmidtMDianaSimsmusteniCaityCupcakes10HopeyStarrBusufuSimTresaAlwaysAsking 19 votes
I keep brief details in-game where you can type the family background info
3%
MLadyAzzeraElokaxjosephinexizecson 4 votes
I just take screenshots and look back on them occasionally
38%
auroraael14Bluefairy286jeepjeepcatalan650111PlayerSinger2010simm621BloosmooMeteoraStormLadyDecafloubyloulouMindofyzagboorulessekojranaPlumbobCrossingkatka_kynclovaCaityTrinaorangehippogriffMoonfoxNightcryboredbeauty111DevilNDisguise 51 votes
Something else (please give details)
14%
CK213asimbsimPaigeisin5NRowefruitsbasket101ChelleJotaydevduhboy2u2jupkmnfloridameerkatcatitude5SiliClonestarcrunchFurSimsOfficialTheRedLionShadyLady89simlanderMrsQuantumPhysicsAbby_007 19 votes

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'm too lazy to do anything more than take screenshots.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Screenshots and my own mind for the memories.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited April 2019
    I keep a picture and story record, using software such as Word/Notebook/Book Creator etc
    It depends on the household. For my main household that I've been playing ever since I started playing TS4, I do try to keep a picture and story record for important or significant events, as well as taking (way too many) screenshots to look back at every now and then. I don't write too much, just a few sentences or small paragraph to support the picture. I also have an ongoing story plan that I follow; crossing off and adding to as I go in Word. For other households that I occasionally play I just take screenshots when the mood takes me, e.g. if something important happens or just looks cute and put them in folders. Most of my sims are also often based on characters and/or stories that I summarise in my 'Plot Bunnies' Word document, which I keep in case I want to / get the chance to write. So yeah, I generally keep some form of record, but I also try not to get too bogged down by it and just enjoy the game.
  • jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    I have spreadsheets to record this kind of stuff and I take lots of screenshots and organize them in proper folders.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I keep brief details in-game where you can type the family background info
    I just wrote stories on family background info or on my notepad, I used to take screenshot for story telling purpose without me having to write anything back in sims 3.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I just take screenshots. I'm to lazy or non creative to make up stories. :D
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I usually keep track of the stories I write for my sims with good old fashioned pen and paper. lol. Sometimes i'll play out a story i've already written or am in the process of writing and sometimes its the other way around. I also take a lot of screenshots to keep track of the generations and special moments.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    I use a combination. First and foremost, I have a physical paper book. I record skills, career, major relationships, club membership and aspiration progress on a one Sim and one week/season to a page basis.

Then I do take screenshots. Which I use in a story blog. Which I share in the appropriate section of these forums.

I would have loved to use the in-game memory system {as well} but I take far too many screenshots for it to work. Especially since I’ve recently changed from one family/household to four in rotation. I find it a big issue with the memory system that the screenshots ALL have to be in that one folder.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    My sims are often based on stories I've written so I know their storeies. I take screenshots though and sometimes Mark my favourites as an in game memory for the sim.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I have a notebook that I've been using since TS2! It used to be mostly a collection of first names, like a baby name book, to help me name my sims, then it included various cheats, but now that sims don't have memories and their family trees disappear after a certain number of generations, I've started including these. I'm on my first legacy that's gone more than 3 generations (currently on gen 13!), and I've really wanted to remember all the previous generations and their stories so I'm starting to write those down now too, just little bits of info to help remember them ;)
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have a blog
    I have a tumblr blog for my challenges, attempted legacies, posed stories and stuff like that.

My primary save I mostly keep to myself. For that one I maintain a chronicle and statistics in Word. But that chronicle only covers the important bits, like who was elected major, who moved to town, births and deaths. Small everyday events like my paparazzi burning down a client's kitchen go under the radar and I only remember them by the screenshots.

If I wanted to switch to story format similar to the Sims 2 family album, what program would be a good choice? I want to be independant from the internet, so it should run offline. Or would just shoving my screenshots into a Word document for each family be the best solution?
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I use family tree apps (Plum Tree and Echo), I use spreadsheets (Excel and OneNote), I take lots of screenshots, and I have paper notebooks that I keep some info in. I also have update to a blog, Instagram, twitter, and tumblr, as well as youtube.

Now, I don't do all of this for every save (except the screenshots), I use a combination of depending on how I feel like keeping track. I have done most and all, or just one or two. My favorite method is Family Tree App, screenshots and keeping track in OneNote (with quick notes jotted on a notebook).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have a sims blog (linked in my siggy), but also a notebook I keep at my desk next to me so that when things happen I can jot down a quick description of what happened. I have terrible memory, so I learned a while ago that if I don't keep records I'll forget things. Also, back when relationship culling was a game-breaking deal, I realized I needed to keep track of who was dating who; that's what started my recording keep for S4. Also, I take a ton of screenshots. It's kinda ridiculous, lol.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    edited April 2019
    I use the Plum Tree tool to create family trees. I tell each sim's story through the biography the site lets you add. Right now I only have two, which are linked in my signature.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • siminettesiminette Posts: 160 Member
    I don't keep records, I just play
    Nope.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I give them a story in my head, often intending to take pictures and write it all down, but I am terrible to remember taking pictures so it just stays in my head.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    None of these really. I take screen shots and caption them with the in game tools (I usually make them memories, mostly to remind me who was present and as a shorthand to keep from having to note that). Occasionally, especially after a long time away, I'll sit down and run through the album to remind myself who they are. It's the details - it has more context than just snapping random screen shots and is more complete than what I can add to the map level family bios, but isn't so time consuming as using out of game tools.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I use Photobucket, my stories are there.
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    edited April 2019
    I really miss the memory-system from Sims 2 where each sim would have linear memories of their life, like learning to walk, getting married and teaching their own child to walk. I don't think the 'Sim Stats' board captures that aspect of making the sims more realistic. I also miss the storytelling mode!
    a75enax37t521.png
    juliet_oberon_full.jpg
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,100 Member
    edited April 2019
    In TS4, I look at my many, many screenshots of my main family a lot. I do have some screenshots from TS3, which I look at occasionally :).

In a hard copy actual folder, I have their TS4 house floor plan drawn out by hand (basic layout with all important details, as well as their family tree and what they wore because my game crashed in July 2016, and I had to recreate my main family and their extended family --- 4 generations back with aging off when I had to rebuild their world. I had more than 30 generations when it crashed. I had some of their friends and lots in my library.
    4kkjdXo.png

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I just remember it..
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I have a Google Doc (the one for my main save is nearly 30 pages long) where I keep a log of each day, record the traits of sims, and write a story to go along with the log.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I don’t do storytelling, so I just take screenshots. Since they’re in abc order and named by date, I move the screenshots to a new folder every 6 months. Occasionally, I reminisce, but not much since I don’t have a long-term household.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    My Simming Moments thread in the Stories and Legacies forum.
    I document what is happening in my game. It's fun to review it now and then.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/918301/ck213s-ts4-favorite-simming-moments-wdyd-bunny-pg-12/p1

I started it when TS4 first launched, but I closed the original thread and started a new one once we got Toddlers and Parenthood.
    I felt the game was finally in a form that I could enjoy. I am up to 12 pages now.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Hey all, thanks for your replies.

I like the idea of pen and paper notebook, the only thing that puts me off that is I like pictures in the same place as my notes. Maybe MS Notebook would be ideal for me.

It's just hard for me to decide how detailed to be and which info to include so it doesn't end up taking heaps of time.