Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

9 Months 23 Days & 18 Sims Later...

I FINALLY got an Orchid from a graft!! O.M.G. :o

jsucMLv.png

I'm in shock and... I feel like crying! lol I'm so dang happy! GAH! <3

I was beginning to think it would never happen. I'm sure all the dedicated gardening Simmers out there understand why this is such a big deal to me. :) Anyway, how long did it take you to get an Orchid or Bird of Paradise from a graft?

Comments

• N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    Congrats! Next up cow berries! I find it funny that the one thing they made super hard was grafting. Not that I wouldn't enjoy more challenge with grafting than before but it's a bit crazy hard now.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    That is a long time to wait. Congrats on your Orchid. :)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Congrats. Thanks for rubbing that in.. :D
    I haven't counted the days but I've been trying for one through grafting for a few seasons in my game. I'm a bit frustrated with how rare the rares are... I have a feeling I'll have to get one through the other ways available in the game. Love Festival in season, rare packs, cheating downloads...
    I'm going to need a death flower soon dagnabit.

egTcBMc.png
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Thanks for the Congrats everyone! <3 *Hugs*

@treece01 Cowberry seeds are so easy to get by fishing, I've never had a reason to try grafting for them since the Seasons patch, or Dragonfruit. Maybe that should be the next challenge for my Sim eh? Just to see how long it takes. He already has a Cow plant, it's in his household inventory. I don't like those things except for decoration after they die. lol I'm keeping this one though for screenshots down the road. My Sim hopes to grow every plant available in the game to Perfect condition without cheats. Except youth potions, which he earned fair and square. I don't call reward traits cheats anyway. Having said that, two YPs and immunity to rain are the only reward traits I've allowed him to buy with points. Oh, and a Money tree, but he needed that for his collection. :) No lot traits for this Sim though.

Aw, I'm sorry @Hermitgirl I didn't mean to rub it in, I know, obviously, how frustrating grafting is now. It's fine they lowered the chances in the patch for it, but why only 1%? That's ins... so erratic! I still haven't managed to get a Bird of Paradise, I just grab them at the Romance Festival now. My Sim has a perfect Death flower plant grown from a rare seed packet find. I've never tried grafting to get one of those since the patch either. My Sims rarely die and the plants aren't worth anything otherwise.

I've tried all the other ways to get an Orchid without cheating. Other Sims tried picking Patchy's pockets, but it never worked. This Sim doesn't have a Patchy. Had my current Sim build a rocket (as have others) to get one by completing the space rock collection, which he did, but he never got the Orchid for it! GAH! They must've removed that reward is all I can figure. However, he did manage to get a UFO seed after flying hundreds of missions; has been abducted twice so far, upgraded for a Wormhole generator, which allowed him to have a one night stand in his tent with an alien beauty and harvest/take clippings of the Sixam plants. So it wasn't all for naught. lol

My gardener Sim did actually get an Orchid seed after buying around 50 thou simoleons worth of rare seed packets. But dang it, I wanted one from grafting! It's funny because that Orchid he just got is Magnificent, whereas the Orchids he grew from the seed packets are only Excellent. That's because I grafted a Lily he got from a seed packet on a Snapdragon planted at the beginning of Fall. It's the second week of Winter now so it actually didn't take that long to get it. At least for him, his predecessors is another story. :/

The Sims lives lost, time and simoleons spent to get that one little Orchid is mind boggling! :o

Anyway, Jerrad now has one of every plant available in the game except for the OR and JA plants. He'll be taking a vacation to Selvadorada soon, but needs to wait until next Summer to get the OR plants. He's been to Granite Falls once already trying to get them, but the majority only grow in Summer, which I didn't know until after he'd come back home in defeat. He did buy a Growfruit seed at the Ranger Station at least, which has helped immensely with evolving. Plus, he's trying to get every fish available too and did manage to get those on his trip. All he needs now to have every fish in the game are the three from JA. Another reason to go there.

Thanks again for the Congrats, I'm one happy camper! <3
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    This thread reminded of how much of this game I haven't explored much. I've barely touched Gardening and have never had a Cowplant in my game.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    Perfect cow plant berries are worth so much money!
    But money aside, It's almost impossible to get all perfect plants now. I had that as goals for bunch of my sims but I don't even think I'm going to try anymore. I can import lots from other save games that have perfect plants but it's not the same.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    I guess i’m Glad my gardener sim got most, if not all of the grafted plants before they changed it.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited April 2019
    citysimmer wrote: »
    This thread reminded of how much of this game I haven't explored much. I've barely touched Gardening and have never had a Cowplant in my game.

I have a list a mile long of things I haven't done in this game yet, there's just so much you can do! I hope to try everything at least once at some point. That's the goal of my own personal 'Git Er Done' challenge. :)
    treece01 wrote: »
    Perfect cow plant berries are worth so much money!
    But money aside, It's almost impossible to get all perfect plants now. I had that as goals for bunch of my sims but I don't even think I'm going to try anymore. I can import lots from other save games that have perfect plants but it's not the same.

I bet they are since they're 180 simoleons just for the Normal berry (or 475 if you plant it then sell it in build mode which is usually what I do since I don't like Cow plants). My Magnificent Orchid is worth 525. I wonder what it'll be worth when it's perfect? I agree it is VERY challenging to get a completely Perfect garden, I still haven't managed it, but hoping to reach that goal this time.

And you're right, I could've used cheats or downloaded from the gallery at any time. I didn't want to do that though because it isn't the same, like you mentioned. I want that sense of pride and accomplishment from knowing I succeeding in completing a challenge by sheer determination and stubbornness. :)

EDIT:
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I guess i’m Glad my gardener sim got most, if not all of the grafted plants before they changed it.

Yes, that's a good thing! Some of my pre-patch Sims that had a garden do have the rare grafts too, it's just so much harder and more of a challenge now to get them. It's infuriating and fun at the same time! lol
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

@SheriSim57 You and me both. Gardening is how a lot of my sims used to make their fortunes. Now, of course there's the money tree.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    edited April 2019
    I got an orchid the day after I first tried grafting, and when I tried it with cowberries it took about 4 days. I wasn't aware that it was difficult or a long wait. It's the first time I've actually tried gardening.

Obviously I'm extremely lucky?!

Edit: This was about three (real) weeks ago, not sure how long it's been difficult to get them