Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Freelance Gigs

Maybe I'm missing something but how in the heck am I supposed to complete my freelance gigs? My sim is a freelance programmer and no matter what I do I can't an option to do the gig and when I think I did nothing says it's completed.

Am I dense or is something broken at the moment?

Comments

• AMHB1974AMHB1974 Posts: 23 Member
    I am having the same issue!
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2019
    Just curious, but since it came from elements from the Actor career, I wonder if it’s the same problem going on there. Right now if you’re in the Actor career and choose a gig and then switch the household, when you switch back to that household again, you can’t do anything with the gig. Can’t click on it. Can’t go on location. Nothing.

You have to use the phone and cancel the gig, then select a whole new one.

I haven’t played on the new patch yet so idk for sure, but it sounds like the same thing going on for the Freelance career gigs maybe.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I have tried the programming branch, but did you call the client? On the Sim or a computer, under freelance, what are your options?

I'm doing the writer and painter branches and haven't had any problems yet.

Hover over each task, what does it tell you to do? With one of my writers gigs, she had to write a motivational book. So I had to get her confident, write a motivational book. There was no option to do it under freelance, it was a normal write book option.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • AmandaBeuryAmandaBeury Posts: 12 New Member
    For the digital art freelancing, everything was through the freelance option on the computer and tablet. I haven't tried programming yet though =/
  • AMHB1974AMHB1974 Posts: 23 Member
    I found my issue, if you have CC or mods check those.
  • floydsastarfloydsastar Posts: 17 Member
    Same problem here. It had the options to talk to the client and to encrypt files (which was what the job was for), but neither fulfilled the gig requirement and my sim ended up failing it.
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    With one of my writers gigs, she had to write a motivational book. So I had to get her confident, write a motivational book. There was no option to do it under freelance, it was a normal write book option.

This bit confused me so much when I tried to do it in game and I don't really like having to be in an in particular mood to complete a task.

• HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Maybe I'm missing something but how in the heck am I supposed to complete my freelance gigs? My sim is a freelance programmer and no matter what I do I can't an option to do the gig and when I think I did nothing says it's completed.

Am I dense or is something broken at the moment?

You call the client then do the file encrypting. After the first file is done, call another client and then encrypt. Repeat until you get the tasks complete. My sim is a freelancer and has made websites! He's now almost a level-2 celebrity because of this.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i've been doing these things in any order i felt like, for all three freelancer paths. "write book, submit book, then chat with client" (even though 'chat with client is supposed to be first) and it works fine, gives credit and everything. same with the painter and programming options, though, except for the hacking set, the programming options are so much slower than the other two

with the file encryption, there's a chance to fail encrypting, so the sim has to start all over with the same attempt, but i can watch everything get listed as completed as i go. only had to call the client once per those sessions, too
  • freindlylolfreindlylol Posts: 358 Member
    mods maybe causing some problems i had to take mine out for the new career to work as intended
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I put my first Sim in the freelance career as a writer. I had him contact the client, got the check mark. Done. But, I foolishly had him write the book, which ended up in his inventory and by the way it's excellent, but I didn't choose the correct option on the computer. So, this excellent book sits in his inventory and he's having to write the fantasy all over again. :open_mouth: Live and learn, I guess. Oi!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    the freelance writer sims do need to write actual books, though. once the specific genre needed is finished, there's an option when you click on the book in inventory

wrote the book:
    69b6b0ea0c1ad973691c6a50747c2691.png

when book used in inventory:
    3579b55b96ddb3bb090d18633a21af03.png
    (note the highlighted option)

book being accepted (and deleted from inventory):
    d9f362633fd61c55e81afe9f39f67b3a.png

i tend to give all my books silly names, esp if they won't be published, as is the case of the freelance options. but hey, if you did have your sim write the wrong kind of book, they can at least publish it to make some money off it for a while
  • magooo63magooo63 Posts: 360 Member
    mine is not giving me any tasks at all to do, and then when due date comes, i fail!!!
  • digger28digger28 Posts: 1 New Member
    do you have the ui cheat extension mod? that's what broke it for me
    yep, the ui extension was the problem, does anybody know if the ui extension has been updated to go with the new patch?
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    magooo63 wrote: »
    yep, the ui extension was the problem, does anybody know if the ui extension has been updated to go with the new patch?

No, it still hasn't been updated.

I'm waiting for a few of my more invasive mods to be updated before I even crack open my game again. That's one of the ones I'm watching...
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
    Yeah, im gonna hold off playing for a minute, as my sim days are so full and hectic, im gonna need that ui extension just to be able to play comfortably, and stress free LOL!!!. Thank you Anmirla for info.
  • surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
    Ok, so I am using the UI extension mod, so that's what's doing it. Thanks for all the info guys! I will remove that until it's updated.
  • CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    magooo63 wrote: »

The guru's said they will be putting out an emergency update to fix this tomorrow, and that modders won't have to update mods.
    2ynjgg8.png
    edited April 2019
    I don't think it will help many mods. I was under the impression that the emergency update had more to do with "strings" and was affecting more CC than most of the mods.
    Was this in a tweet?

*I found a tweet from Graham.
    Quick FYI for mod/cc creators - for content that's displaying blank text following the 4/16 update, we're targeting an update on Friday that will address this issue without requiring a change on your end.

I don't think all the mods are having this issue, but it's reassuring to know that some of it can be resolved in one big swoop! *fingers crossed*
    edited April 2019
    Anmirla wrote: »
    I don't think it will help many mods. I was under the impression that the emergency update had more to do with "strings" and was affecting more CC than most of the mods.
    Was this in a tweet?

Quick FYI for mod/cc creators - for content that's displaying blank text following the 4/16 update, we're targeting an update on Friday that will address this issue without requiring a change on your end.

I don't think all the mods are having this issue, but it's reassuring to know that some of it can be resolved in one big swoop! *fingers crossed*

I was under the impression the Friday patch will fix the issue "for now" meaning any text that's blank will be back working again. BUT, that they expect modders to go in and change the strings for their mods ANYWAY to prevent this from happening in the future when they release more patches and content. So it feels like this will be a one-time deal and that after this, mods are on their own in that regard and should just go ahead and "fix" their mods now so it won't happen again.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Was this in a tweet?

I was under the impression the Friday patch will fix the issue "for now" meaning any text that's blank will be back working again. BUT, that they expect modders to go in and change the strings for their mods ANYWAY to prevent this from happening in the future when they release more patches and content. So it feels like this will be a one-time deal and that after this, mods are on their own in that regard and should just go ahead and "fix" their mods now so it won't happen again.

I was reading through a long list of mods and the update on them. There were quite a few that quoted missing text, but otherwise worked fine. Many have had no status as of yet. Several (of which I'm waiting for) will need to be updated anyway to include the new content. I had read someplace else that CC was affected by this missing text (or that was my understanding).

I wish there was a way they could update without actually breaking some of the mods (and in-game content - we all know how that goes), but I don't need to be tech savvy to know that will never happen! :D
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Was this in a tweet?

I was reading through a long list of mods and the update on them. There were quite a few that quoted missing text, but otherwise worked fine. Many have had no status as of yet. Several (of which I'm waiting for) will need to be updated anyway to include the new content. I had read someplace else that CC was affected by this missing text (or that was my understanding).

I wish there was a way they could update without actually breaking some of the mods (and in-game content - we all know how that goes), but I don't need to be tech savvy to know that will never happen! :D

Yea CC objects say "debug" now in the buy/build mode. And if they have any special interactions, those are blank.

But I think CC clothes are fine.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I use a bunch of CC clothes, eyes, eyelashes, et cetera, plus a few mods (mostly extra careers and things like that). My Sim has completed a bunch of freelance programming jobs with no problem. It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • okesterokester Posts: 4,136 Member
    Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know if the freelance careers unlock extra CAS items like some other jobs do? Also, I couldn't get the promotion cheats to work with the new freelance careers. What's up with that?
    Origin ID: Okest3r_13 Check out my Sims 4 creations!