Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you let sims with common ancestors that the game no longer considers related be romantic?

Most,if not all of us probably already know that the game doesn't consider sims related after a generation or 2 and a sim can be attracted to e.g their 2nd cousin. When things like this happen, do you let your sims pursue their interest or do you avoid it?

Do you let sims with common ancestors that the game no longer considers related be romantic? 49 votes

Yes,they're no longer related.
36%
pisceschick75HejixMikezumiJoAnne65SarahTheRedPapayaSkySindocatGITTE200183bienchenKelvinjordandbudewarminWaterdragonMortimerGoth[Deleted User]naniSaintcMelmack 18 votes
Ew no
48%
KristinaGraceyManordreamerz13ApparentlyAwesomezagboorulesAssimulolarrylove12littlemissgogoCharliimaibekkasanChuChuExpressLinamintsShira3000AgentJuliaMagicalZiamikaSummerRoxyClarionOfJoyDianesimssimms745 24 votes
Neither (Explain in the comments)
14%
sofie981Cororonjillbgannaliese39cocoAuroraskiesnerdfashion 7 votes

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I once let two cousins become romantically involved even (I could because I had moved my sims to another world/new save so they didn’t recognize each other as relatives anymore). Actually, in real life in most countries cousins can actually marry. The ‘ew’ is between our ears, technically there’s not much wrong with it. Other than a slightly bigger chance of getting children who can’t reproduce (a risk comparable to a 35+ woman who gets pregnant for the first time, which we don’t consider ew either). Charles Darwin married his cousin I learned (when I did all this research because of my storyline, which in fact was mainly based on the fact that I liked to mix their genetic features). And as for further back: my own real life parents alledgedly share the same ancestors, a few generations back. There is no biological reason why that would be unadvisable.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KristinaKristina Posts: 582 Member
    Ew no
    Would've preferred a straight "no" option in the poll rather than the 'ew', but it's the only one applicable.

Anyway, no. The game might not recognise them as related but I'd know.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Ew no
    I have so many sims that I want to use in my games I see no reason for them getting involved with any relatives.
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Ew no
    I would find it morally wrong...
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    I try to play without altering any born in game sims, so if they both have traits I want passed on I get them together to make sure those traits get into the next generation. Kinda like dog breeding... hahaha
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited April 2019
    I've never had a save last that long lmao
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited April 2019
    As in real life, I don't think second cousins is a problem. Not that I know any of my second cousins since I was raised in Australia by parents from different countries :D I think "Ew" is a tad extreme in the options.

I keep my populations small in generational saves, allowing families (except the active household) to only have two children. If I didn't allow second cousin relationships I would have to constantly introduce new "blood" which would defeat my efforts at keeping the population small.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Love is love, you cannot deny it :wink:

Personally I'd go for it because I think this is just a game after all, no need to get all serious about a bunch of pixel people getting romantic virtually.

thumbs-up-gif-optimsed.gif
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • SummerRoxySummerRoxy Posts: 93 Member
    Ew no
    My 2nd generation heir's step aunt keeps sending him gifts and asking him for dates but I just find it weird so I always decline. Maybe after 5 generations (if I can ever get THAT far) or if I've really run out of options, I might consider it.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Ew no
    Ew no seems a bit extreme. But no, I wouldn't. The game might not know anymore but I would, and to me it's just no. Relatives are just off limits. Maybe if you get really far back. A generation or two though, no.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    It all depends on how close they are in the family tree. I probably wouldn't marry second cousins because seeing generations down the line doubled up on the family tree would be annoying. But for example with my 10 generation family in Sunset Valley it's inevitable to have "related" sims mingle.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited April 2019
    Ew no
    I dont think i have a problem with cousins, but sims and their great grandparents that is the problem.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    It depends on the story/sim (e.g. a royal vampire family might want to 'keep it in the family') and the nature of their relationship e.g. distant cousin is probably fine, but great grandparent? Uh no thanks.
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
    It's just a game...
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I would let siblings be romantic if the unmodded game would allow it. The only thing that bothers me about in-family romantic gestures is the common behaviour of in-laws to autonomously flirt with eachother; and mostly because I ordinarily do not wish it to happen, since it can easily destroy their relations with their partners and the other's partner, and any toddler that catches the interactions, etc etc... The game is very open and closed at the same time.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have played my sim family for nine years but haven't had that many generations yet for it to be possible. I'm not sure if I would let it happen, but it's possible. It depends on the sims and what they do on their own.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Not related is not related. Every human being now alive in the real world has ancestors in common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_recent_common_ancestor
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I once let two cousins become romantically involved even (I could because I had moved my sims to another world/new save so they didn’t recognize each other as relatives anymore). Actually, in real life in most countries cousins can actually marry. The ‘ew’ is between our ears, technically there’s not much wrong with it. Other than a slightly bigger chance of getting children who can’t reproduce (a risk comparable to a 35+ woman who gets pregnant for the first time, which we don’t consider ew either). Charles Darwin married his cousin I learned (when I did all this research because of my storyline, which in fact was mainly based on the fact that I liked to mix their genetic features). And as for further back: my own real life parents alledgedly share the same ancestors, a few generations back. There is no biological reason why that would be unadvisable.

Queen Victoria married her cousin Albert and they have a lot of surviving children.

These days though cousin marriage is a taboo
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited April 2019
    Queen Victoria married her cousin Albert and they have a lot of surviving children.

A good example of why a lack of genetic diversity can become problematic - in this case the spread of hemophilia amongst royals.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Luckily the genetics in the game is not as complex as real life's. I would have liked more diseases though!
    edited April 2019

A good example of why a lack of genetic diversity can become problematic - in this case the spread of hemophilia amongst royals.
    Hemophilia was passed through because both parents (cousins in this case) had it. That fact increased the odds. It’s estimated that 4 to 7 percent of children born to first cousins are likely to have birth defects, compared to 3 to 4 percent for children whose parents are more distantly related. That’s not nothing, but it’s also not the end of the world—or the family tree. Victoria and Albert had more children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren who had no hemophilia than those who did. The real issue would arise if the next generation of kids also married their first cousins. Their offspring will have even more DNA in common—and an even greater chance for birth defects. (source).

Apart from the fact a couple can also decide not to have children if they don’t want to take the extra risk. In any case, I seriously object against ‘ew’, because having a higher chance to have children with birth defects is not ew. It’s sad at most, for the persons who it concerns. Like a colleague of mine who is seriously epileptic and has to take heavy medicines that will guarantee (100%) birth defects, if she’d ever get children. She is married and not ew.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Yeah, why not? Cousin marriage is legal in a lot of countries (including mine). Personally, I wouldn´t want to do anything romantic with my cousins, but considering genetics, there´s no real problem (not "ew" in any case).

The game is wacky anyway when it comes to relatives. If two sims who have children from different partners marry, those children are considered siblings, and can have no romantic interactions, which doesn´t make sense at all (especially if the children are already grown up).
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
    edited April 2019

Hemophilia was passed through because both parents (cousins in this case) had it. That fact increased the odds. It’s estimated that 4 to 7 percent of children born to first cousins are likely to have birth defects, compared to 3 to 4 percent for children whose parents are more distantly related. That’s not nothing, but it’s also not the end of the world—or the family tree. Victoria and Albert had more children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren who had no hemophilia than those who did. The real issue would arise if the next generation of kids also married their first cousins. Their offspring will have even more DNA in common—and an even greater chance for birth defects. (source).

Apart from the fact a couple can also decide not to have children if they don’t want to take the extra risk. In any case, I seriously object against ‘ew’, because having a higher chance to have children with birth defects is not ew. It’s sad at most, for the persons who it concerns. Like a colleague of mine who is seriously epileptic and has to take heavy medicines that will guarantee (100%) birth defects, if she’d ever get children. She is married and not ew.

Oh no, of course! I don't think 'ew' when cousins marry (and certainly not when people with genetic defects or disabilities do either). I only meant to point out that in some cases there may be risks/difficulties for future generations over time if there is a lack of genetic diversity, such as when royal families insisted on maintaining the royal bloodline.
    Post edited by annaliese39 on
    edited April 2019

Oh no, of course! I don't think 'ew' when cousins marry (and certainly not when people with genetic defects or disabilities do either). I only meant to point out that in some cases there may be risks/difficulties for future generations over time if there is a lack of genetic diversity, such as when royal families insisted on maintaining the royal bloodline.
    No, the ‘ew’ remark wasn’t referring to what you said, sorry for the confusion. And indeed, if families continue marrying within the small circle of their own relatives, it indeed will become a problem. And, not unimportant, probably not based on love.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    Ew no
    yeah na. that would make me so uncomfortable because i would know that they were related.
    sup.

giphy.gif