Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

End of 32bit-What Next?

What happens to Sims 3 now that EA's ending 32bit support?
A friendly reminder that Project Rene has not yet been confirmed as Sims 5.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    My prediction is nothing will happen. EA can't very well insist that we all start playing the 64-bit version of TS3 instead of the 32-bit one on our 64-bit operating systems since they never produced a 64-bit version of the game for us to even try. TS3 hasn't been in development for over five years now, the program should run just the same on Windows as it always did with or without this kind of support. :)

Those still on 32-bit Windows are very much a shrinking part of user base but I really don't see how they will be affected either. Though on Win 7, 8 .1, and 10, I don't really see how they are getting a satisfactory TS3 experience since the operating systems would be using up so much of the 4 GB RAM total that these systems can ever address.

Players on the Mac version of the game face a different, but somewhat related challenge. From all accounts, the next version of the Mac OS probably out later this year will not run 32-bit apps at all so that will be the end of the line for TS3 for Mac for those staying current. I believe that Aspyr is doing something with TS2 for Mac for those who wish to continue playing that version, or at least that was a rumor I picked up on somewhere along the line, but they have no say on TS3 as EA did the port to Mac a different way. This particular development is all on Apple though, not EA.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • wingweaver84wingweaver84 Posts: 81 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    My prediction is nothing will happen. EA can't very well insist that we all start playing the 64-bit version of TS3 instead of the 32-bit one on our 64-bit operating systems since they never produced a 64-bit version of the game for us to even try. TS3 hasn't been in development for over five years now, the program should run just the same on Windows as it always did with or without this kind of support. :)

Those still on 32-bit Windows are very much a shrinking part of user base but I really don't see how they will be affected either. Though on Win 7, 8 .1, and 10, I don't really see how they are getting a satisfactory TS3 experience since the operating systems would be using up so much of the 4 GB RAM total that these systems can ever address.

Players on the Mac version of the game face a different, but somewhat related challenge. From all accounts, the next version of the Mac OS probably out later this year will not run 32-bit apps at all so that will be the end of the line for TS3 for Mac for those staying current. I believe that Aspyr is doing something with TS2 for Mac for those who wish to continue playing that version, or at least that was a rumor I picked up on somewhere along the line, but they have no say on TS3 as EA did the port to Mac a different way. This particular development is all on Apple though, not EA.

I have Sims 3 on Windows 10(64bit)and have noticed A LOT of lag with it;that's with the base game and all extra content minus 4 stuff packs. I don't know if that's due to the 32bit or whether that's just due to the size of it.
    A friendly reminder that Project Rene has not yet been confirmed as Sims 5.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    edited April 2019
    I haven't found any news about EA ending The Sims 3's 32-bit system support. That thing is happening with The Sims 4. As far as I know, The Sims 3 continues 32-bit support.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I have Sims 3 on Windows 10(64bit)and have noticed A LOT of lag with it;that's with the base game and all extra content minus 4 stuff packs. I don't know if that's due to the 32bit or whether that's just due to the size of it.
    There's a ton of things that can cause TS3 to perform poorly, and equally as many to fix that. First and foremost, one should make sure one's system is up to running all of the content (EPs) that are being thrown at it. If you were to provide some specs, we could help figure that out. If it has a powerful graphics card, then next would be its frame rate must be been capped to stay at or under the refresh rate of the monitor being used. TS3 like many older games has no functional built-in fps limiter. We can help with that too, as needed.

Many of the other things we can do are listed here; some but not all involve mod usage.
    http://www.nraas.net/community/TIPS-FOR-BETTER-GAME-PERFORMANCE
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net