Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have any of you ever built a resort?

AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
I’m thinking of turning my nectary here...
tumblr_ppo7toJxTW1xq9hdmo8_1280.jpg
...into a resort. Originally it was (obviously) going to be only a nectary but I just thought of the idea of turning it into a small resort along the lines of one of those pretty getaways that occur in the wine country like Napa Valley, for instance.

I have the vineyard finished..
tumblr_pps0gwXSlH1xq9hdmo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_pps0gwXSlH1xq9hdmo4_1280.jpg
so I thought to try making the actual nectary into a cute resort. My concern is that it will be on too small of a lot so I’m going to have to do some major renovations to my existing building.

So here’s my question: If any of you have built a resort before, how did it go for you and your sims? Is it fairly challenging? Any tips, tricks or ideas on what should be done for it?

I’m already doing research on Carl’s site with resorts, but I also thought to see if any of you on here had some resort experience :)

Comments

• AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Good luck! :D
    Do you have Misty´s rabbithole rugs? Because they´ll help a lot when you have limited space! Then I would put them into a cellar with good access for the Sims. And you´ll have some place to put the requirements on the lot!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited April 2019
    Your nectary lot is beautiful. I wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't meet all the requirements for a 5 star resort, unless your goal is to have your sims own it and get it to 5 star. There are resorts in some of the custom worlds I've downloaded and installed, and they don't have everything. My Sim Realty's Anne Arbor has two of them. One is a motel, the other is more of a bed and breakfast. They're both on relatively small lots. Neither of them even come close to meeting the 5-star requirements, but residents and active sims can still check in and stay there, and enjoy whatever amenities they do have. All you really need is rooms for them to stay in and a check-in desk, which appears automatically when you change the lot to a resort. Then you can place it wherever you want it.
  • Angie1301Angie1301 Posts: 90 Member
    I have never build a Resort before, just wanted to say that these are some gorgeous photos =) your landscaping is awesme
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Amphora wrote: »
    My concern is that it will be on too small of a lot so I’m going to have to do some major renovations to my existing building.

So here’s my question: If any of you have built a resort before, how did it go for you and your sims? Is it fairly challenging? Any tips, tricks or ideas on what should be done for it?

I’m already doing research on Carl’s site with resorts, but I also thought to see if any of you on here had some resort experience :)

If the lot is too small, you can always copy it to the bin, then put it back down on a larger empty lot.

I have built a resort, up to 5 stars even. But it was a long time ago, just after Island Paradise came out, so I'm a little rusty. You're probably better off just looking at Carl's guide.

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    I've not owned a resort in sims 3 yet so I wouldn't be able to give you any advice, I'm afraid.

I've always wanted to try running one but keep forgetting to do that. Been playing the game since 2013 but there's still tons of stuff in the sims 3 left for me to explore... incredible, isn't it? :D

Your nectary looks very nice! I think it'd make a brilliant and unique resort lot. By the way, what world are you playing in? It's beautiful. :smiley:
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I've built a few resorts. I'd just put the resort desk in it and that will make it a resort. If you want the resort towers too, it's easy to make a basement and place the towers in there so they don't show and your resort still stays looking exactly the same but the visiting sims have a place to stay. I tried adding rooms with beds and that sort of worked but in the end I found I needed at least one tower.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I've built different resorts on different size lots and you don't need everything unless your sims are going for the 5 star wish. If I want something that doesn't fit the scheme of the rabbit hole towers I do like others have said...plunk it in the basement and build a few VIP rooms of my own. You do have to have the resort desk for it to work properly.

That is a beautiful lot and would certainly make a fun place for sims to visit for a few days and relax. If you don't mind my asking where did you get the vines between the rows of grapes? It certainly gives it a more realistic grape arbor feel for a young vineyard. Beautiful!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    When IP first came out, my sim "bought" the starter resort the world gives you for $0 and built that up. From what I remember you can stick the rabbit hole guest towers underground in a basement. Or use a CC rabbit hole rug for this as someone suggested.

Carl's Guide for Resorts

You've built a beautiful nectary. :) If your Sims don't plan on running this resort you can build one or two bedrooms with a small kitchen for sort of a bed and breakfast. I don't know if townies will crash there but your Sims can.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have built resorts in several worlds, and found them to be a good income generator. I'd be concerned with space, however, in combining it with a Nectary, as both venues need certain things to really thrive.

A top flight resort will need at lot of features to please guests, many of which are land-area intensive, like swimming pools, and a dining area big enough to accommodate food tables serving all kinds of meals.

I would recommend building your resort on an adjacent lot, near the nectary, instead, allowing each venue to really fully shine as what it is. YMMV, of course.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    i tired few time never works out am bad builder lol also hard ends keeps dealing with first ones so second always closes like i said hard it keep going when they're are no visit.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    edited April 2019
    i've tried lol, haven't really gotten very far before. i would totally turn your nectary into a resort! i would so stay there if i could!!! the hardest thing is money, especially if you play without cheats and also have a family to look after. i'd say if your sims are well off, give it a go!

your lot is so beautiful @Amphora btw <3
    sup.

giphy.gif
  • FabBunnyFabBunny Posts: 158 Member
    edited April 2019
    Beautiful nectary @Amphora !
    I'm currently playing a family that owns a resort in Sunlit Tides called 'Sunlit Stay.'
    Resorts are really fun to play around with and I think the aesthetic of your build would go well to make a bed and breakfast type resort. My resort is 4 stars currently and I have found that for a five star resort there are quite a few requirements:
    -Buffet tables of all the different food set to high quality
    -A pool (chlorinated)
    -Hot tub
    -Loads of decorations and flowers/shrubs etc
    -Room service
    -High upkeep
    -Wedding Arch
    -Coal firewalk pit
    -Pool bar
    -Gym
    -Food stand

That's not everything but it's what came up in the reviews of my resort. I think most of these you'd be able to incorporate into your build as long as it's big enough. Like previous users have said, you can place the resort towers in the basement if you think they interfere with the aesthetic or take up to much space. Good luck with your resort if you go ahead with it. I'd love to see pictures of it when it's done.
    Post edited by FabBunny on
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hi, I don't normally play with IP so I decided to build a resort in my CAW project. I have not tested it out yet. I set the lot in CAW to resort. I don't know if you need to consider the lot type because of possible conflict with the nectary ? Anyway I read somewhere you need both tower and reception desk to get the resort to operate properly. Unfortunately the tower did not fit with my design so I built a wing at the back and enclosed the tower completely. I intend my resort to look like a hotel so the second floor is given over to guest rooms.

Here are pics to give you an idea of how my resort currently looks.

LdKySzp.png

btMYvVv.png

I went for a 50x50 lot size. As you can see the redundant wing of the hotel is at the back.

Your nectary is absolutely gorgeous. I hope you find a way to include the resort. Good Luck getting it sorted.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    @Bettyboop55 Your resort looks great. A lot of people put the towers in a basement. Sims need to be able to get into it. That's where a lot of guests stay.

When you start running the resort you need to click on it to see its reviews and they'll let you know what you need to add or remove to rate higher.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    @Bettyboop55 Your resort looks great. A lot of people put the towers in a basement. Sims need to be able to get into it. That's where a lot of guests stay.

When you start running the resort you need to click on it to see its reviews and they'll let you know what you need to add or remove to rate higher.

Thank you :) Also thanks for the tip about the guest rooms. As it happens I can do some minor adjustments so that sims can access the hidden towers. I have tried burying stuff in basements before, mainly community lots and it tends to end in tears.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    @Bettyboop55 this is the 5 Star Resort I built to get the badge for running a 5 star resort for 7 days.

Resort012.jpg

I built it in Isla Paradiso. It took a while to get it up to 5 stars. I originally built it at the end of the first playlist for The Isla Paradiso Bunch videos, but they didn't get the badge. It turns out you need a single sim household for the badge to trigger. Unless you are very lucky.

So I started the Caroline and Friends videos. Caroline got the badge for running the 0 star resort and the 5 star resort as a single sim household. But the other thing is the sim can't own more than one resort at a time to get the badge.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Oh goodness, didn’t expect so many replies! Here I go...

@AlexaKry
    I haven’t really tried out rugs, no. I did once but it was a miserable failure so I’m somewhat leery of them :D

@IreneSwift
    Thank you for the kind words! Yes, first thing I discovered is that this lot has pretty much no space for any of the required resort activities and frankly, I’m too lazy to retool the entire lot lol!

@Angie1301
    Thank you! :)

@bklienhart
    That is something I have done since I posted this question. Thank you for the idea :)

@ChocoCub
    Thank you! The world I’m playing in is Saint Greer Islands :)

@Karritz
    Towers in the basement is a brilliant idea! Thank you very much :)

@bekkasan
    Thank you for your input! Everyone’s ideas on here have really helped me start the planning process on a resort :)

The vines can be found here. They are technically a fence but you can only recolor the grapes into either a white or a purple grape if I remember right :)

@SimplyJen
    Thanks for the link and the ideas! I appreciate it :)

@Sindocat
    Agreed. In the far future when I’m not feeling lazy I plan on plonking that lot somewhere and turning it into a big and fancy ol’ wine resort. :mrgreen:

@Emo-usagi2187
    I agree! Resorts are way hard to figure and plan out :s

@buffyballoon
    Thank you! My sims aren’t usually very well off. Kind of ruins the fun for me :p

@FabBunny
    Thanks! And thank you for all those ideas for the resort! That’s the kinda stuff I’ve been looking up and trying to find out so this is very helpful.

@Bettyboop55
    What an absolutely lovely resort! You did such a great job on it. Much better than my one pathetic attempt :D
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    I love your beautiful nectary.
    When I got IP I also got the "mended" version made by a fan, so the world worked mostly okay and I was able to play with the resorts.

Sims are horribly demanding. They complain if everything is not luxury. They want all the possible foods- that takes up a lot of room. They want entertainment - bars, hot tubs, fire walks, gyms, pools, which also takes up a lot of room They want fancy landscaping with lots of plants and features. The bathrooms break down, there is always something needing to be repaired. I've successfully created and run a good resort after practicing on the ready made ones. I wouldn't want to majorly rebuild something as lovely as your nectary. My tip - get a handy sim to make "unbreakable" anything and everything that can be upgraded. Sinks, tvs, radios, toilets, hot tubs, you name it, before you open the resort. Otherwise you'll be tearing out your hair in very short order. Read the guests' reviews daily to see what whingeing little complaints they are making that day. It gives you a good clue as to how you can improve your resort, and feed them plenty of suchi. They can't get enough suchi.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Read the guests' reviews daily to see what whingeing little complaints they are making that day. It gives you a good clue as to how you can improve your resort,

This is the best tip, right here, for getting up to 5 stars. You can also serve best quality food, best quality drinks, and have max service workers at the highest salary, and charge only medium costs to guests, and be quite profitable.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2019
    Things I always have when I build resorts:

At least one resort rabbithole.
    The tower one and the spanish inspired one when upgraded give you spas that help raise your resort level up so are handy for reaching 5 stars. To maximize profits the resort tower is the best as it fits the most people and profits are tied to how many people your resort can fit and the rates you charge. However, a smaller tower will not harm ratings unless you dont have a spa.

A small complex that will hold the reception desk, food services (buffet/bar) and a gym. If there isnt a good space out side for a pool, I'll try ro put that inside as well.
    Also make sure your eating area can fit multipul buffet tables as sims like having a variety of food options. I useually slowly add these in as i have more money being made to cover the costs.

Finally I try to find a spot for a snack stand somewhere.

Food I imediatly raise the quality to top level and then I slowly raise the quality of other items over time as I can charge more and have more people stay (done by upgrading/adding towers).
    I basically never bother with VIP suites since they take up a lot of time and space per person that can fit in it (dosnt translate into much profits).

Ultimatly as mentioned above, read reviews left at the end of each day it will give you good pointers on what to do.
  • ccarrig_95ccarrig_95 Posts: 525 Member
    Ooh I love that idea! I had an idea for something like that but with horses too. I was going to add it to my Disney legacy.
    I1VZWOJ.jpg
    (Top left to bottom right)Edur Zahrah, Cinderella, Tiana, Pocahantas, Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Emerson, Nicole, Traci, Addisyn
  • JesseEveJesseEve Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Amphora said:
    > I’m thinking of turning my nectary here...
    > (Image)
    >
    > ...into a resort. Originally it was (obviously) going to be only a nectary but I just thought of the idea of turning it into a small resort along the lines of one of those pretty getaways that occur in the wine country like Napa Valley, for instance.
    >
    > I have the vineyard finished..
    >
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    > so I thought to try making the actual nectary into a cute resort. My concern is that it will be on too small of a lot so I’m going to have to do some major renovations to my existing building.
    >
    > So here’s my question: If any of you have built a resort before, how did it go for you and your sims? Is it fairly challenging? Any tips, tricks or ideas on what should be done for it?
    >
    > I’m already doing research on Carl’s site with resorts, but I also thought to see if any of you on here had some resort experience :)

Please please please make this lot downloadable. I have been trying to make those grapevines look realistic for soo long and yours look amazing! I'd love to see how you did it!