Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your "realistic" lifespan settings?

I just started using a more realistic epic lifespan setting! Since there are 7 days in a season we can say that there are 28 sim days in a year. I looked at the lifespan that nraas recommended reflecting real life ages.

Days

Babys: 28
Toddler: 84
Child: 224
Teen: 168
YA: 336
Adult: 980
Elder: 560
Total: 2380

This will allow me to really take my time and not rush into things. I really hate rushing into relationships and not building them up naturally. I'm also using mods that make the $/hour for jobs way more realistic, so this also makes the game harder. Then we have more realistic university prices, Boarding school prices, and university grant sizes. They also can't buy ingredients from the fridge so they have to go the store. I love love LOVE all of this because I want my sims to have a struggle! I hate that it was so easy to get to lvl 10 of a skill.

so yeah! What are y'alls lifespan settings?

Comments

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited April 2019
    I use five sim days to correspond to one real life year, with a 390 day lifespan (78 years). I also don't like toddlers being so helpless right up until they're school aged, so I cut the toddler stage short, added the difference to the child stage, and treat the child like a preschooler, using NRaas Story Progression's careers module to homeschool them until they reach the equivalent of 6 years old.

Baby: 2 days
    Toddler: 18 days
    Child: 40 days
    Teen: 30 days
    Young Adult: 110 days
    Adult: 140 days
    Elder: 50

Since elders almost always live beyond their life expectancy, I set the elder stage to the minimum age I want them to be when they die.
  • Options
    silverwood02silverwood02 Posts: 73 Member
    How do you work out the days for a sim year?
  • Options
    PyxieytPyxieyt Posts: 48 Member
    How do you work out the days for a sim year?

Well on the Nraas website they worked out all the calculations: https://www.nraas.net/community/Lifespan

Since the default for seasons is 7 days that would mean there will be 28 days in a year (4x7=28)

:)<3
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I use mccommand and added a week to each normal lifespan amount with more for teens and ya. I use 28 day seasons though to space out holidays more
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Seasons don't have to be seven (7) days. You can lower that to three (3). Or, of course, extend it.

I just play one day equals one year of life. So, babies get two days as I can't adjust it any lower than that and 24 months seems the right transition to toddler to me. Then, toddlers are really only "toddlers" for a couple years, but they can't start regular school here until six or seven. So, I give them five (5)days, which is plenty of time to get trained in everything and have all the books read to them. Grade school lasts Kindergarten through sixth grade, so that's seven days as a child. And, I only give my teens seven days as well (13-19 is seven years). I like the way all the life states work out to an even week (if you combine infant and toddler years together). I round the other life states in even weeks too. Current life is at 77 in my game, with the option for healthy living and luck adding more time in the twilight years.

We all play so very differently and have our own ideas of what is realistic, don't we?!
  • Options
    PyxieytPyxieyt Posts: 48 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Seasons don't have to be seven (7) days. You can lower that to three (3). Or, of course, extend it.

I just play one day equals one year of life. So, babies get two days as I can't adjust it any lower than that and 24 months seems the right transition to toddler to me. Then, toddlers are really only "toddlers" for a couple years, but they can't start regular school here until six or seven. So, I give them five (5)days, which is plenty of time to get trained in everything and have all the books read to them. Grade school lasts Kindergarten through sixth grade, so that's seven days as a child. And, I only give my teens seven days as well (13-19 is seven years). I like the way all the life states work out to an even week (if you combine infant and toddler years together). I round the other life states in even weeks too. Current life is at 77 in my game, with the option for healthy living and luck adding more time in the twilight years.

We all play so very differently and have our own ideas of what is realistic, don't we?!

So true!!
    I love having my kids experience each season, multiple times, and 7 days seems like enough time to go to the festivals and rack up some tickets!
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    So far I am enjoying my version of an epic lifespan. Overkill much? Still.Not.Bored.

Seasons
    Spring - 93 days
    Summer - 94 days
    Autumn - 89 days
    Winter - 89 days
    Year - 365 days

Infant: 93 days
    Toddlers: 1460 days
    Child: 2920 days
    Teen: 2555 days
    Young Adult: 7300 days
    Adult: 9125 days
    Elder: 13140 days

36, 593 days more or less for each Sim's lifespan from birth to death. I also changed the pregnancy length as well to match.

I am more likely to celebrate and decorate for the holidays as it's not something that is too often like with the other previous life spans I had used. I wish the developers didn't put a limit on certain features but then again I doubt any of them actually thought there may be a player who would actually want to play a realistic life span Sims style. :p
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I have the principle 1 year = 4 days, and all the seasons are 4 days each, so it's the same season for a whole year. That way children, teens etc. can experience several seasons, but the life of my sims isn't unbearably long. I can deal with young adults beign YA for long, but not so much for toddlers and children and I want things to seem 'right' so I wouldn't just make the toddler stage shorter randomly because the years wouldn't nicely equal anymore. If that makes sense.

So, right now:

Baby: 2 days (half a year: toddlers still need to learn how to walk and don't do so right on their birthday, and most people learn to walk when they're around 1 years old)
    Toddler: 18 (4,5: 0,5 years to 5)
    Child: 28
    Teen: 24
    Young adult: 88 (18 - 40)
    Adult: 80
    Elder: 30, it seems. Didn't know. Had to look at my optionsfile. 67 years is young but I don't really care they always live longer anyway. If I manage to play a sim until they're an elder...
  • Options
    IndiaHawker1IndiaHawker1 Posts: 13 New Member
    Interesting thread. I often tend to set my sims to Epic lifespan, then realise things are progressing too slowly and switch to normal or something of the like... then realise it's progressing too fast hahah
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    As for "take my time and not rush into things" - I am also like this, I used to play with aging off, and currently I play with aging on with epic lifespan. My sims usually don't reach to the age limit where they age spontanously, because I don't have much time to play these days (I don't progress much in each game session) and I usually age them by birthday before that point.
  • Options
    bobbyjo727bobbyjo727 Posts: 118 Member
    Wow. I never have the attention span to do the epic lifespan. But I get frustrated when I want my child and teen sims to experience all the season once through their age. I’ve never been able to figure out how to make it work.
    Also, how do you manage overpopulation if and when it becomes an issue?
  • Options
    partypartym12partypartym12 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hey, for anyone who really wants realistic aging, i highly recommend checking out this mod i made called The Realistic Sims 4 mod. It adjusts many features such as the lifespan, careers, pay, pregnancy, and more to be more realistic and balanced since the longer lifespans means the skills and all need to be adjusted. its constantly being updated as well. the current age settings are set to match a real humans lifespan proportionaly (1year=1sim year or 28 days) Link: therealisticsimsmod.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @partypartym12 Sounds good but this is a TS3 thread so it might be better to post it in TS4 section.
  • Options
    ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    So far I am enjoying my version of an epic lifespan. Overkill much? Still.Not.Bored.

Seasons
    Spring - 93 days
    Summer - 94 days
    Autumn - 89 days
    Winter - 89 days
    Year - 365 days

Infant: 93 days
    Toddlers: 1460 days
    Child: 2920 days
    Teen: 2555 days
    Young Adult: 7300 days
    Adult: 9125 days
    Elder: 13140 days

36, 593 days more or less for each Sim's lifespan from birth to death. I also changed the pregnancy length as well to match.

I am more likely to celebrate and decorate for the holidays as it's not something that is too often like with the other previous life spans I had used. I wish the developers didn't put a limit on certain features but then again I doubt any of them actually thought there may be a player who would actually want to play a realistic life span Sims style. :p

Whoa! How did you get so many days? What's the secret?
  • Options
    @ilikethesims30 Sorry about the late response. Just seeing this but just in case if you didn't find out.

Start > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Options (I open this document in Notepad.)
    This path may be different if you are using a MAC or digital version.

Here are options pertaining specifically to the age of human Sims.
    -agingstagelengthbaby
    -agingstagelengthtoddler
    -agingstagelengthchild
    -agingstagelengthteen
    -agingstagelengthyoungadult
    -agingstagelengthadult
    -agingstagelengthelder

It looks like: agingstagelengthelder = 13140

After the equal sign is where you can input your own custom life span to go beyond what the sliders allow in-game. Once changed and then saved, it should be reflected in-game. When done you cannot touch any of the lifespan sliders or it will revert back its slider limit.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    61948536_313208249603434_1448702317300809728_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQmrjuqV28FvtOeigheuBFFdEfSMWDM2C1d4m98xqOF1hxQc41lOx7bxNNlG8GUxlro&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=aada635bc2b353f851c7b5cee62651cf&oe=5D9F191F

62477411_313208256270100_344151743698829312_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQlGfCirz6ni0e2LoPVemboPYNKvat00ILy0xz7BcJLmyRyFA14JivFI51srglx4-HU&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=bb727b061bc15b3ee057ce5be4d6c4c4&oe=5D5298E9
    Mine's not super realistic.I keep baby short play because I find them so annoying.
  • Options
    ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    edited June 2019
    @GraceyManor , Deshong04 and whoever else: How do you change the weather lengths?
    Post edited by ilikethesims30 on
  • Options
    tnb494tnb494 Posts: 247 Member
    I like to keep mine as realistic as possible, 1 sim day per year

Baby: 1
    Toddler: 4
    Child: 7
    Teen: 5
    YA: 12
    Adult: 40
    Elder: 31

Total: 100 days
  • Options
    @ilikethesims30 To change the seasons length to a custom number beyond the slider limits, it is the same process as changing the human Sims life spans in the Options document within TS3 folder.

Here are the specific options.
    -springlength
    -winterlength
    -falllength
    -summerlength

It also has the equal sign and after that the number to adjust: summerlength = 94
    Save your changes and again if you move the in-game sliders it will reset to the default slider limit.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited June 2019
    Pyxieyt wrote: »
    I just started using a more realistic epic lifespan setting! Since there are 7 days in a season we can say that there are 28 sim days in a year. I looked at the lifespan that nraas recommended reflecting real life ages.

Days

Total: 2380

This will allow me to really take my time and not rush into things. I really hate rushing into relationships and not building them up naturally. I'm also using mods that make the $/hour for jobs way more realistic, so this also makes the game harder. Then we have more realistic university prices, Boarding school prices, and university grant sizes. They also can't buy ingredients from the fridge so they have to go the store. I love love LOVE all of this because I want my sims to have a struggle! I hate that it was so easy to get to lvl 10 of a skill.

so yeah! What are y'alls lifespan settings?

I'm boring:
    Normal with a tweak to the elder stage to set the lifespan to 100 days total. Though I may edit it to fit the sims 4 lifespan.

Infants: 3 days(default)
    Toddlers: 7 days(default)
    Kids: 14 days(default: 13 days)
    Teens: 14 days(default: 13 days)
    Young Adults: 24 days(default since Toddler update)
    Adults: 24 days(default since Toddler update)
    Elders: 20 days(default: 10 days)

Total after tweaking: 106 days on a normal lifespan. Or 110 if I give elders the same amount of days as young adults and adults.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Mine's simple... I'd have to double check... but i think i did 28 days for all but baby (made that short) but YA-Elder I may have made longer...
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    GardenData61371GardenData61371 Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="Pyxieyt;d-958161"]I just started using a more realistic epic lifespan setting! Since there are 7 days in a season we can say that there are 28 sim days in a year. I looked at the lifespan that nraas recommended reflecting real life ages.
    [b]
    Days[/b]
    [b]Total[/b]: 2380

so yeah! What are y'alls lifespan settings? [/quote]

How long is that IRL?
  • Options
    puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    Realism? I don't know her. lol
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @GraceyManor , Deshong04 and whoever else: How do you change the weather lengths?

I use a mod.

http://modthesims.info/d/491613/longer-seasons.html
  • Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    It is possible to set each season to 3 days, representing the 3 months for a real-life season, and 12 days represent 12 months in a year.
    Infants (Birth > 2 years): Birth - 24 Sim Days (Span: 24 Sim Days)
    Toddlers (3 - 5 years): 36 Sim Days - 60 Sim Days (Span: 24 Sim Days)
    Children (6 - 12): 72 Sim Days - 144 Sim Days (Span: 72 Sim Days)
    Adolescents (13 - 19): 156 Sim Days - 228 Sim Days (Span: 72 Sim Days)
    Young Adult (20 - 35): 240 Sim Days - 420 Sim Days (Span: 180 Sim Days)
    Middle-Aged Adult (36 - 65): 432 Sim Days - 780 Sim Days (Span: 348 Sim Days)
    Elder (66-Death): 792 Sim Days - Death (Span: Unknown)