Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to reduce game generated Sims?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    @Kita5399

Hey! The club system is an awesome idea! Thank you!

Because no, I don’t really want any mods in my game. I’m very nervous about messing it up, because I don’t have anyone who can help me fix it, you know?
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    @Kita5399

Hey! The club system is an awesome idea! Thank you!

Because no, I don’t really want any mods in my game. I’m very nervous about messing it up, because I don’t have anyone who can help me fix it, you know?
    No problem! It works really well, just takes a bit to set up (but worth it). I have a movie theater/arcade that looks full now, and Sims actually get popcorn and watch the TV screen together.
  • Options
    @Kita5399 I will Definitely do it that way now! I love it! Thank you!
    SqxdF0m.png

• Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind reducing the townies with Japanese sounding names. I don't mind a few but it seems like there is a lot of those in my game. I'd rather have townies with recognizable names that I can remember.

I've actually been loving all the Japanese-sounding names. I kind of think of San Myshuno as San Francisco, so these names make it feel more realistic.

I don't mind them but I personally just get a ton of ikedas and Sakomotos, it's not very unique for me so I delete multiples
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    @Galactrix

Just wondering how you got your game to stop spawning new townies if it needs to make a new bartender every time you go to a bar, etc, (all those things you explained so well).

I didn't say the game makes a new bartender every time you go to a bar - it makes new bar visitors. For bartenders, the game needs three bartenders employed for each bar in the game (morning shift from 6am, afternoon shift from 2pm and evening shift from 10pm). Once it has assigned them, then they stay the same bartenders every time you visit, until something happens that makes them lose their job - e.g. you ask them to move in with you (because playable sims can't have NPC jobs).

When the game assigns jobs, that's when you could end up with brand new sims created. Even if you have a bunch of unemployed townies, for some reason there's a rule the game uses which ignores those unemployed townies if they've formed relationships already with anybody - e.g. if any of your sims have ever introduced themselves to them and they appear in anybody's relationship panel. If you've got very social sims, then the game can end up ignoring every townie in the unemployed pool and just make more that are completely new strangers to everyone in the game to hire for jobs.

For situations like that, and the uncontrolled spawn of bar visitors, your only hope is to rely on mods that are made to suppress that - like AKLsimmer's reduced random townies mod, or MCCC.

There's also another annoying behaviour I discovered in the game after a while when I started noticing all the townies that had jobs were suddenly quitting them and just sitting in the unemployed pool doing nothing. The game has a really basic story progression module where it tries to maintain population ratios for employment - and it has it set for something like and 80% employment rate for adults. Meaning if you have more than 80% of all adult townies in the game employed and not enough unemployed townies to make it 20%, then it will automatically make some employed sims lose their jobs to maintain the 80/20 ratio.

When I discovered that one, I was like "🐸🐸🐸🐸" and used mods to change that so that the game won't care if 100% of sims are employed and there are no unemployed sims.
  • Options
    simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    To have a diverse and interesting population of sims, I don't try to create any from scratch or download any from the Gallery.

Instead, whenever the game generates a new sim, I assume there must have been a reason it was made (for example it might have been made to fill a job role, or to fill a deficit in sims with certain traits, or to fill the need for sims living in a region e.g. San Myshuno district townies, etc). If I made my own sims and placed them in the game, then the game would probably ignore them if they don't fill whatever reason the game needed.

So instead I take that new townie the game generated into CAS and use them as a base to edit them to my own desire. Most of the time, I can do whatever I want, such as change the race, hair colour, clothing, name. So, if the game made yet another blonde Japanese sim called Genji Sakamoto, I can totally give them an extreme makeover and turn them into a brunette Russian guy named Dimitry or something more diverse.

For example, when the game generated 18 new sims to work at Plumbob Pictures studio when I made one of my sims an actor for the first time, they were mostly all the same generic townie. But I went through each of them and gave them some more racial diversity, backstory, styling and pizzazz and ended up with my own custom studio crew.

Sometimes, when the game made two different townies with the same surname, if they looked similar enough, I merged them together and made them into a family group. E.g. I put two elders with the same surname together and made them brother and sister. Then in game when I was playing my own sim at the Police Station, I saw those two elders and thought it was pretty cool that they worked together - the elder guy was actually the chief of police and his sister was one of his police officers. Then she walked into his office and gave him a sisterly hug. It's those kind of moments which made my sim world seem more connected and interesting.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    @Galactrix: The way you describe is the only way to deal with townies. Even if you use mods like my townieoverhaul_lessfame, it is still advisable to give townies a makeover instead of simply deleting them. The game just needs a lot of different townies, especially if you own all packs.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    @Galactrix thank you so much for taking the time to explain that. While I wish we could truly customize our worlds, the info provided here has been a huge help!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Galactrix

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I wasn't notified that you'd answered me!! So annoying.

But anyway ....

Holy Cow! Thank you!! So much is explained now! And I had started doing that myself, fixing the townies so they'd look better, but there would keep being more and more everyday, and I'd keep deleting them, and thinking ... there are good Sims sitting right here! Waiting to be used! lol

So.... I'm sorry to ask one more thing, but you said you redid everyone until you had a nice looking studio crew, but you'd previously mentioned that the game won't use a sim to be an employee if any of your other sims know them. So how did you time that? I assume you waited to see everyone who showed up to work, and then worked on them quickly, because you could already tell that they worked there.

I'm asking this because I have two stores in the game, and the employees are so awful! and I kept deleting them, thinking, well, someday the game will pick someone decent from the pool of sims I have, right? You've explained that No, it won't, the game will spawn another new one instead. So, if I keep track of the random stupid looking employees who come in to work, and then fix those particular sims, will they continue to work at the store, and look decent, despite the fact that I've changed them? (And I'm sure that you know I'm not talking about the ones you can specifically hire)

And I'm making sure I understand correctly that if one of my played sims makes friends with them, but doesn't have them move in with them, they won't stop working there? (And I understand the 20% unemployment issue and that one might randomly get fired because of that) I just want to make sure that I don't spend forever fixing townies just to have them turned into another useless sim sitting in the pool just because I introduce my sim to them, you know?

And I wanted to say that I do the same thing with the townie sims with the same last name, it's so funny how many there are like that, and there is often a family resemblance. :smile: Your story of the brother and sister is so cute!
    Post edited by AlwaysAsking on
    SqxdF0m.png

• Options
    DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited July 2019
    ohh yes...the explosive townie generation -.- this is also a very big issue i have with this game atm. Island living and Get Famous made it even worse atm: it is just out of control and they Always have the same old looks and names -.- Always pearshaped and just hideous males and obese old females. i have to admit tho, game-generated teen females often are not bad at all (if given an outfit makeover), the boys tho...already the tiny shoulders/big behind syndrome -.- you can reduce the numbers spawning by becoming a hermit and stay at home, because every time you visit a public lot more of them will spawn. premades are used for jobs they are supposed to fulfill which also starts to get on my nerves. each time i play in Sulani the super cute girl from the trailer (Nalani) is used asd a stall vendor while my sims get absolutely swarmed by stupid pearshaped uglyzoids trying to force a romance bar with my females, married or not they don't care! i don't like using mods but it is becoming very tempting atm because those random trash sims are becoming way too dominantly present atm and i don't like it at all since i tend to avoid them totally because i care about premades or sims i made myself to befriend my actives since they have actual stories tied to them and not just some random individual with nothing about him/her making sense: Always whacky looks and mismatching traits/aspirations...and 50% are Always insane slobs or mean and i couldn't care less for mean sims because who would care about some abusive jerk who even attacks his friends just because of the trait… but boy does the game favor them a LOT in my experience. they never stop trying to force themselves into my sims lives even though i don't want it to happen, which is also a gripe of m,ine atm: i don't need the game to decide whom i want to know! i want to pick my own friends and partners thank you very much!
  • Options
    DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind reducing the townies with Japanese sounding names. I don't mind a few but it seems like there is a lot of those in my game. I'd rather have townies with recognizable names that I can remember.

I've actually been loving all the Japanese-sounding names. I kind of think of San Myshuno as San Francisco, so these names make it feel more realistic.

and so would i if they would STICK to San Myshuno, same goes for the El Selvadorada natives and currently the Sulani natives… but they will supress the premade populations of other towns and show up EVERYWHERE you go! and this is my gripe with them: they are too dominantly present atm and i for one don't like it. and after a while you too will get tired of the same old 5 Genji Tanakas stalking you wherever you go.

If i go to a club in Windenburg i'd like to meet the folks living there, not the same old random spawned sims i also encountered (and avoided) in El Selvadorada… why are they even there? aren't they supposed to live in El Selvadorada??? and if you did the temples at night and skeletons appeared your town will also be flooded with randoms with skeleton names and these are in the hidden Household bin so you cannot get rid of them via manage worlds...

This whole random townie mass spawning has already driven me to the point where i just stick at home to reduce the nubers of these spawning because it is too much atm!