Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mod for user-defined sim-names

Hi everyone! :)

I've been looking for a possibility to influence the names the babies in the neighbourhood get.
I've also found a mod (NRaas_StoryProgressionNameList) for it - you can define names in a kind of list, and all game-generated names are taken from it :)
The problem is that the download file for StoryProgressionNameList has been taken off the nraas-Homepage.

So I wanted to ask if anyone knows a similar mod, or if anyone maybe even has StoryProgressionNameList and could send me the file.

Thanks a lot in advance! <3

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited March 2019
    The various add-on modules and extra features of StoryProgression are still available through NRaas, whether they're linked in an obvious place or not. I know that the new site reorganized some of its downloads, but the naming function should still be offered somewhere. If you ask at NRaas, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

https://www.nraas.net/community/chatterbox

Edit: google turned up this:

https://www.nraas.net/community/post58383#p58383
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    The secondary tuning files for our mods are available at NRaas, they weren't all there right after we moved last October but I think this has been (almost entirely) addressed by now. They can be found by hitting the Upload button in the upper right corner of the screen, wait a bit for the File Manager overlay to show up, and view by List, sort by File Name.

Or the link in the thread that @puzzlezaddict found should also work, it's the same file in the same location.

One does have to embrace and use the NRaas version of story progression for this to work, though. I am not aware of any other mod structure that allows for custom name lists, only players who have shared their localized and special versions of fully populated custom name lists for others to use with NRaas SP.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SmiiiliiieSmiiiliiie Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks to both of you!
    I've now downloaded the NRaas_StoryProgression_NameList_Tuning-package, and I've managed to open it with s3pe. Now i can edit the XML file with my own editor. The thing is I don't understand the structure :#
    The XML format itself ain't the problem, but I don't understand where or how exactly I sould insert the names. The XML structure doesn't really make sense to me, but probably I just don't understand how I'm supposed to do it right :D
    If I wanted to insert the name "Amy" for an (obviously) female sim and "Chris" for a male one, where exactly would I write that?
    [code]
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <NameList>
    <Names>
    <!-- This is the default set, it must always be the first entry in the file -->
    <Species></Species>
    <!-- Human, Dogs, LittleDogs, Horses, Cats, All -->
    <Gender>GenderMask</Gender>
    <!-- Male, Female, GenderMask (both) -->
    <Name></Name>
    <!-- Comma Separated list of names -->
    </Names>

<LastNames>
    <!-- This is the default set, it must always be the first entry in the file -->
    <Species></Species>
    <!-- Human, Dogs, LittleDogs, Horses, Cats, All -->
    <!-- Male, Female, GenderMask (both) -->
    <Name></Name>
    <!-- Comma Separated list of names -->
    </LastNames>
    </NameList>[/code]

That's the file. And I don't get it :neutral:
    Can there be multiple <Names>-tags? Or just one? But just one wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Would it be right this way?

[code]
    <Names>
    <Species>Human</Species>
    <Gender>Male</Gender>
    <Name>Alec, Adam, Chris</Name>
    </Names>

<Names>
    <Species>Human</Species>
    <Gender>Female</Gender>
    <Name>Amy, Katie, Laura</Name>
    </Names>

<Names>
    <Species>Dogs</Species>
    <Gender>Female</Gender>
    <Name>Bella, Kira, Sally</Name>
    </Names>

<LastNames>
    <Species>All</Species>
    <Name>Smith, Brown, Hudson</Name>
    </LastNames>[/code]
    I'm so sorry, something really went wrong with the formatting here!
    It was't supposed to look that way :D
    I'll try again (since posts apparenty can't be edited)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Smiiiliiie wrote: »
    I'm so sorry, something really went wrong with the formatting here!
    It was't supposed to look that way :D
    I'll try again (since posts apparenty can't be edited)

@Smiiiliiie, it's like that because you are a new member. The quoting will look like that until you become a full member. New members also can't edit their threads as well due to the new member status.

You need 25 points, 15 posts and an account oldet than 24 hours.
    Ah!
    Good to know, thank you!
    A pity though that you have to start all over again when you change the country/language of the forum.
    I usually use the German Forum, I was just writing here because there are more people around and you usually get more and better anwers.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Does this documentation page help at all? It doesn't seem to have converted itself over to the new NRaas site, so I'm linking a Wayback Machine archive of the page.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180602045733/http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression NameList Phase Twelve

But if not, sorry to give you yet another forum to be a member of but perhaps you could bring the questions to us at NRaas and players who actually use this feature can give you some more detailed examples.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net