Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 10 Generations/10 Ghosts Challenge

This is my first time writing a challenge, but when the discussion came up in the ghost thread, I couldn't resist. I'd love some feedback if you see any major flaws with it, and of course, I'd love to know if anyone takes it on. (I'll be trying it myself once I finish the current 10-gen challenge I'm on.)

Background
This is a strange family. Each generation seems to pass all too quickly, but that doesn't stop their children from calling the ghosts of their parents back to live in the house. Over and over and over. By the time ten generations have passed, the town will have ten new ghosts, each having gone a different way...

Rules
1. Sims can be normal or aliens. They may also be vampires, but anyone after generation 2 must be cured before their demise.

2. Recommended aging speed is normal but may be set to whatever you like.

3. You may live anywhere you like, but your home lot must have the cursed trait, if available. (If you do not have City Living, your lot may never have more than two traits.)

4. You may buy any reward traits you like and pursue other aspirations in your lifetime... just be careful not to acquire traits that make the target death impossible. (Specifically, the Generation 2 Sim cannot have the Naturalist trait, the Generation 7 Sim cannot have the Forever Full trait, and the Generation 8 Sim cannot have the Shameless trait.)

5. Each generation must complete their selected aspiration before their death.

6. Each generation has a single required trait, which must be selected as early in life as possible. The other traits are at your discretion.

7. Each generation may only pass from the death listed, though how you get to that death is up to you. The guide merely has suggestions.

8. Each generation must have at least one child (by trying for baby, abduction, or adopting) who reaches their teenage years before the parent's death.

9. The legacy Sim in each generation must become a playable ghost without cheats. This involves befriending the ghost when they appear and asking them to move in. Ghosts may not be moved out of the house until the challenge says so. Where they move to doesn't matter. It may be the Netherworld, if you wish. (Though that seems to defeat the end goal here.)

10. Sims in the legacy line may not use the Wishing Well to achieve their death, but others in the house may. Using ghosts to help bring about a particular type of death is totally fine.

11. While not required, each generation would do well to get a Book of Life about them and become best friends with his/her child before their untimely demise. (It's suggested for Generation 1 to compose and record epic tales in ten Books of Life.)

12. You may not use previously existing Sims to help you achieve any of the deaths in the challenge. For example, if you are using a vampire to cause an emotional death, it must be a vampire who has grown up in the family or someone who has decided to become a vampire. The same goes for any career objects or conveniently broken electronics.

13. You are allowed to restart without saving if someone dies the wrong death, dies too early, or accidentally gets in a situation where the target death is not possible. However, every time you do so, you must add an additional generation with a different cause of death besides the ten already used.

Note: Some aspirations require a death or interacting with the Grim Reaper. These have been marked so that deaths can be timed accordingly.

Generations Guide

Generation 1: The Sci-Fi Writer
Aspiration: Bestselling Author
Trait: Booklover

You are mostly focused on creative pursuits. You do not have time to learn skills such as handiness. In fact, you actively avoid it. When an electronic device breaks, you simply store it in your household inventory and buy a new one. Repairpeople in your creative space ruins the vibe, after all. You love suspense and sci-fi and join the science career just so you can purchase the experiment table for inspiration. (Note: if you do not have Get to Work, join the Astronaut career instead.) This career choice may or may not last long. As soon as you are able, you write The Book of Life. In fact, you write several of them. Can never have too many of these things, right?

Alas, your creative mind eventually gets the better of you and you cannot resist pushing that big red button. Twice. Alternatively, your patience wears thin and you decide to repair all those electronics when you are at your most tense and exhausted. Sadly, you die from electrocution.

----

Generation 2: The Up-To-No-Gooder
Aspiration: Public Enemy* (Must witness the death of a Sim.)
Required Trait: Mean

You always had a flair for causing trouble, even since your youth. You work your way up the Criminal career, and go out of your way to make life as tough for everyone else as it was for you. (Your life probably wasn't that tough, but you just feel like it is!) You build a pool with walls around it. Classic! You build a rocketship and stuff fruit in its exhaust port.

Unfortunately, in all your pranking, you forget which traps you set on your own lot. One day, you take the rocketship for a ride and die in the resulting fire. (Alternatively, you come home from the Humor and Hijinks festival and decide to see what happens when you set a firework off indoors. Either way, fire takes you.)

----

Generation 3: The Athlete
Aspiration: Body Builder
Required Trait: Active

Why was this wall built around the pool by your ancestor? Ah-ha! It must have been so they could push themselves to their absolute physical limits without even the temptation to get out and rest. That's hardcore. You must try this out. You jump in to swim laps even though you are tired... and keep swimming... and keep swimming...

Maybe this was a bad idea. But too late. You go by drowning.

----

Generation 4: The Gardener
Aspiration: Freelance Botanist
Required Trait: Loves Outdoors

You are an uncomplicated soul who really just loves to garden. You garden until you grow the rare and elusive cowplant! You feed it steak at first, but then after a while, you notice a pattern. Every time you take the cake it offers, you get this strange essence you can milk out if. You try it often, with various emotions. Especially the playful, embarrassed, and angry emotions, because those seem important somehow. Sadly, you take the cake a little too often and ultimately go by cowplant.

----

Generation 5: The Cranky Comedian
Aspiration: Joke Star
Required Trait: Hot-headed

You've always had a humorous side, and you've decided to make it your career. Sadly, you don't take criticism well. You get along nicely with your parent(s), but your grandparent's ghost still haunts the house and quite frankly, thinks your endeavors are stupid. They are constantly berating you, and you two are enemies. You could try to release your anger through some creative means... perhaps some paintings or making some spaghetti or even drinking some emotional essence. But one day your temper gets the better of you. Your grandparent starts a vicious rumor, you two have another argument, and you die in your rage.

(Ghosts from generations 1, 2, and 3 may now be moved out. Though keep in mind if Gen 1 leaves, you will now need someone else to put names in those life books. Or you'll just have to wait for future ghosts to ask you out to dinner.)

----

Generation 6: The Cheese & Cake Connoisseur
Aspiration: Grilled Cheese* (Start with Master Chef but Grilled Cheese is the one that must be completed. Requires chatting with the Grim Reaper.)
Required Trait: Foodie

You just love food. What can one say? But only specific types of food. You have a special fondness for cake and grilled cheese. Sometimes, even when it's not your birthday, you add candles to the cake and blow them out just because it's fun. However, this seems to have an odd effect in that you are aging unusually quickly. Probably nothing to worry about. Even though you now look (and in fact, are) elderly, you still invite your significant other for a little fun. (Alternatively, if a vampire is in the household, they may decide to demand you exercise. For your health and all.) You go by overexertion.

----

Generation 7: The Health Nut
Aspiration: Serial Romantic
Required Trait: Vegetarian (If available. Snob if not.)

You saw how your parent went and you will never go down that path. You even get rid of the fridge! Nope, it's only the healthiest fruits and veggies you have grown yourself. This does have some downsides, however. For one, none of the Sims you date seem as dedicated to the lifestyle as you are and you have no choice but to break up with them. Or just start dating someone else and break up with them later. But to make things more difficult, your ancestor who died by cowplant fears for your safety if you continue down this path. What if you were to go by cowplant, too? In your best interests, they wilt your entire garden. All the time. Before you can get anything out of it. In your stubbornness, you still refuse to eat anything else and ultimately die of starvation.

(Generation 4 may now be moved out)

----

Generation 8: The Normal
Aspiration: Renaissance Sim
Required Trait: Unflirty (If available. Loner if not.)

You try to live a normal life, but it's difficult. Ghosts have no sense of privacy. They're always walking in on you in the bathroom. Because of this, you often avoid the bathroom even when you really, really have to go. Your hot-headed ancestor is still working on those jokes. One day, they tell a truly horrifying one. Right around the same time you have a small accident after waiting too long for that bathroom. You might have drank some essence of embarrassment by mistake, too. Or tried flirting when it clearly wasn't going to work. You die by mortification.

----

Generation 9: The Party Guy/Gal
Aspiration: Party Animal
Required Trait: Goofball

You just love a good time. You're happy to cruise through life, and you love a good joke. And to everyone's shock and amazement, the Comedian can actually tell good jokes now. Really good jokes. One day, you are sitting in a room (filled as it happens, with some playful items from an ancestor's criminal career). Your ancestor tells you the Funniest Joke in the World. It's so funny! Too funny! You go by hysteria.

(Generations 5 through 8 may now be moved out.)

----

Generation 10: The Descendent
Aspiration: Your choice
Required Trait: None

Your parent's ghost always livens the mood when you're feeling down but never takes it too far. You live a good, long life and will ultimately die of old age. However, before that happens, just for fun... you might wish on that Wishing Well for a child when it is in the foulest of moods...

The end!
Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Never done a legacy challenge but I do love to make ghosts. Just doing that set up can be a real challenge.
    I decided to use one of the premades from StrangerVille to be my starter. I picked Leslie Howard. She's from the Eclectic Arts Household. I moved the others out. At first I wanted to play Alice but then realized that Leslie has not only the bookworm trait but also the geek trait ... so it makes sense to me she'd be interested in sci-fi and might try to go into the scientist career. Up front though I don't think she'll last as a scientist long. I think you have to tinker at times for that career... but it might be fun to try to avoid her ever fixing anything so well see:
    Anyway my Matriach:
    XOOSq2W.jpg
    She already has some bank. 20k and a nice home. Since it wasn't in the rules I thought it would be okay.
    She starts off wanting to be a writer so she's already on point there.
    Her traits: Bookworm, Geek, Playful.
    She has comedy, programming and logic skills.
    She's also infected ... which can give a boost since she get's full green after being possessed at night. I'll have to either cure her or maybe take a bad potion before trying to fix those stored broken items. >:)
    Admittedly, I want to see what a possessed ghost looks like :)... so that's part of this.

I plan on playing with aging off for the rest of the world and on long life for her. I'd like my ghosts to end up as young adults or adults.. since I plan on playing them for awhile. Of course I could get them potions of youth or do that in other ways. My ultimate goal is to make this my pre-made ghost world so it will all fit together well in the end :).
    Thanks for putting this together @katrinasforest .. generational challenges just don't attract me but this has enough weird in it to make me take notice. It will be cool to say I did this type of challenge at some point also :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @Hermitgirl A possessed ghost sounds awesome. Surprisingly, I have yet to have one.

Good luck on the challenge. I'm glad it sounded fun enough for you to try out. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm bookmarking this to come back and post when my first ghost is done.. it might take awhile but I'm having fun so far :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • EnglishSimmer90EnglishSimmer90 Posts: 53 Member
    I have yet to try doing some challenges in game. Thanks for this one, will definitely try and give it a go!
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2019
    @EnglishSimmer90 Cool! Let me know how it goes.

I've started with my first generation, who is now raising her toddler. I've added two rules that occurred to me while I was playing:

12. You may not use previously existing Sims to help you achieve any of the deaths in the challenge. For example, if you are using a vampire to cause an emotional death, it must be a vampire who has grown up in the family or someone who has decided to become a vampire. The same goes for any career objects or conveniently broken electronics.

13. You are allowed to restart without saving if someone dies the wrong death, dies too early, or accidentally gets in a situation where the target death is not possible. However, every time you do so, you must add an additional generation with a different cause of death besides the ten already used.

I wanted to put something in there so the challenge isn't just "you failed" if you get pretty far into it and your Sims dies unexpectedly. But I also didn't want to make it too easy to just reset over any little inconvenience.

Also, I added some alternate options if you don't have all the packs installed. Your writer can be an astronaut if you don't have Get to Work, and one lot trait should be left blank if you do not have City Living.

One thing I'm still in debate on is aging. Should I change rule #2 to say "must be set to normal"? Or keep it as just a recommendation?

If anyone notices any other adjustments I should make, feel free to comment in this thread. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top