Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your most/least used traits?

AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
Each one of us have a very unique way of playing the game and we all favour different things in gameplay.
Yesterday I was creating a new sim and was thinking to myself "I'm going to spice it up and give this sim 3 traits I never use!" but ultimately I just couldn't bring myself to fully commit to that thought. I really can't stand the trait "Bro" for example, I just refuse to use it.
On the other hand, most of my sims have the "Loves Outdoors".

Some other traits I never (or barely) use other than Bro:

-Evil
-Erratic
-Slob
-Hates Children

Some other traits I overuse aside Loves Outdoors:

-Creative
-Foodie
-Geek
-Family Oriented
Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
All my creations are CC free.

Comments

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Most used : active, slob, loner
    Underused : evil, loves outdoor, jealous,. Self assured
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I never use erratic, mean, klepto and evil... the first one especially I can't stand, it' just too random. I use a lot the loves outdoors, non committal, loner, ambitious, good, cheerful and clumsy.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like Bro! Lol

I never use Klepto, Cat Lover, Dance Machine, or Insider.

Klepto because I don’t like for items to go missing in my lots.

Cat Lover because I don’t like cats nor do I play with them or have any in my games.

Dance Machine is just annoying.

Insider because I never actually start club activities. I just use clubs as a way to make it so everyone of my Sims in 1 particular family can know each other. I can group them together and easily make a phone call and don’t have to go from house to house introducing everyone.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Not exactly running stats on what traits are used/not used, but it might look like this:

Most used:Cheerful, Self-assured, Bookworm, Erratic, Neat, Slob, Mean, Ambitious, Outgoing.

Least used: Goofball, Unflirty, Cat lover, Dog lover, Kleptomaniac, Vegetarian, Dance machine, Bro, Non-committal.

There's so many of them. I wish the system would guide us a bit more, if not restricting them. There are a few obviously conflicting traits, but I seem to pick the same over again.

Most of my sims are born in game, and I have rules when giving traits to growing up sims. In short I try to make sure that each child have one trait from each parent, and I try to balance between the 4 categories (if dads trait is from Hobby, and mom's trait is from Lifestyle, the 3rd trait should be from either Emotional or Social. It makes it easier to decide, lol :)
    (Will share this routine in a future How-I-Play video on my Youtube channel).
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2019
    Most Used: Loves Outdoors, Creative, Music Lover, Art Lover, Perfectionist, Loner, Active, Clumsy, Goofball, Foodie, Glutton, Genius, Good

Least Used: Hates Children, Non-Committal, Jealous, Evil, Gloomy, Hot Headed, Insider, Dance Machine, Materialistic, Mean, Outgoing, Slob, Snob, Lazy
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I tend to pick one of the big traits, like creative or genius, depending on my plans for my Sim, and then somethng that complements that, like art lover or geek. They almost always get the loner trait, because I hate to waste time on social interactions. Since I like gardening, I use the 'loves the outdoors' trait a lot. Booklover is another favourite.

Never use: slob, mean, evil or anything that would make them want to be social, like outgoing or bro. I'll occasionally use romantic for a Sim whose sole purpose is to be the baby-mommy or baby-daddy for the next generation. (They immediately get banished as soon as the deed is accomplished.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    I'm pretty lenient when it comes to traits.

The only one I absolutely refuse to use is Jealous. I find it to be SO obnoxious, and will change it as soon as I see a Sim with it. What pushed me over the edge with it was I had a family where the father had this stupid trait. Everything was fine, until the kid came along. Then he kept getting mad at his wife for talking or doing ANYTHING with their son. (Son was a toddler when I noticed this.) Like, really dude? Really?
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited March 2019
    I use most of them but I never use jealousy because it seems over tuned and it is such an ugly trait in the real I just don't want it in my game.

Klepto is the only other that I think I've never used.

ETA:
    I use dice to pick traits most of the time so the others are used fairly evenly on a random basis.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I don’t really use the kleptomaniac, jealous or hates children traits. The ones I use most are definitely creative, loves outdoors, cat lover and geek.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I use most traits pretty equally, honestly. The only traits I don’t use at all are Dance Machine and Kleptomaniac.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I never use mean or evil traits,kleptomaniac, jealous or hates children - ever.

I use most of the other traits though in abundance.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    Most used: creative, self-assured, loves outdoors
    Least used: mean, glutton, unflirty.
    Some traits (like jealousy, noncommittal) just take too much energy to avoid negative moodlets imo!
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    It's great to see how different some answers are from each other. I must say after reading all of them, that I completely forgot about the existence of the Jealous trait, like many of you, I never use it either.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    Most used: Neat, Perfectionist, family oriented, genius, loves outdoors, Snob, vegetarian, music lover, self assured
    Least used: lazy, Goofball, dance machine, cat/dog lover, bookworm, hates children, slob, no commitment, kleptomaniac, jealous

I don’t like most negative traits. I use evil now and then but not as much. I’d use bookworm more often but i don’t really got time for my sim to read a book.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Most used: Evil, Creative, Genius
    Least used: Lazy, Insider, Clubber

My good types are more varied and they don't always have a good trait... but evil only covers evil.
    Lazy sims walk everywhere, always.. it drives me bonkers so I can't use it. I do have one in a family that I play in rotation but he really just never leaves the house area. To watch him walk on vacation is too hard to handle. Get there already!! (Lol, my rant has made me want to use it again...)

I've gotten better (?) about trying different negative consequence traits and find it funnier and less irritating than I did the first two years I played. I was still trying to have my sims live utopia lives at that point though :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I like to use a variety of traits and give my sims character 'flaws' or at least mixed traits that can have drawbacks e.g. Neat. My most used traits though are probably Music Lover, Creative, Gloomy, Perfectionist, Squeamish, and Good. Least used would probably be Noncommittal, Bro, Glutton, Insider, Mean, Kleptomaniac and Materialistic. The only trait I never use is Hates Children - because it's fine if you don't like or are uncomfortable around children, but to actually get angry around them? No, I would probably only use it for a sim I hated.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Most used: Erratic and Creative
    Least used: Glutton and Insider
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    Least used: slob and jealous
    Most used: creative, loner, clumsy
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited March 2019
    Has anyone ever used the trait forget what’s it called, connections? It helps you get into clubs, I think? It’s from GT, imo seems like the most useless one
    Thinks it called Insider
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    Least used: definitely Hates Children, although it's cropped up a few times. Most used: I couldn't pick one, but a lot of my sims seem to end up with Creative, Genius, Gloomy, Squeamish, Active, and Romantic. I tend not to use Jealous because the way it's implemented doesn't fit with the way I perceive jealousy to work with my actual sims - it seems to lean more toward a "controlling" trait and I'm more interested in jealousy as an envious trait.

I roll a lot of my traits randomly so I end up with some I wouldn't normally go out of my way to choose. I also use a "more traits" mod which makes the sims feel more varied.

Musing on traits -

I think where I have an issue with traits is that they're all weighted equally, so you have something like Creative or Genius or Good or Evil that can really be defining characteristics, but then cat lover or clumsy is given equal weight, and I don't see something like that making up a 3rd of a personality. I would really love to see some kind of proportional system, where you might pick two or three major traits that really shape the Sim's character, and then two or three minor ones that give them some quirks. If you could use any traits in any slot it would let people craft the personality, and not give every trait the same weight with every sim, every time. Maybe Sim A has Evil as a major trait and is REALLY evil, but Sim B has it as a minor trait and is only a little evil, on the side, like a hobby. :D
  • Options
    LissyK9LissyK9 Posts: 205 Member
    I use the hobby-ish traits the most, like active, creative, and music lover. Probably my least used trait is evil or slob, but I often use an online random trait generator, so it more that I don't prefer those traits than that I never use them, I just tend to choose other children as the heir when those traits come up.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Has anyone ever used the trait forget what’s it called, connections? It helps you get into clubs, I think? It’s from GT, imo seems like the most useless one
    Thinks it called Insider

Nope that’s one of the 4 traits I always skip.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... I have several sims who are geeky, active, mean, cheerful and so on. I even have great sims who has the hate-kids-trait. A teenager who was stuck in the world as a ghost for a couple of hundred years. After spending such a long time in the kids corner she is just done with that part of life. Other than that she is good and a book lover.

The traits that I really don’t use are dance machine, ambitious, and materialistic. Those annoy me too much.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I've never used hates children or kleptomaniac and never plan to. I used jealous and evil literally once each and both are super annoying so I'll probably never use them again.

My most used is 99% likely family oriented. I also use creative and good a lot.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member

Musing on traits -

I think where I have an issue with traits is that they're all weighted equally, so you have something like Creative or Genius or Good or Evil that can really be defining characteristics, but then cat lover or clumsy is given equal weight, and I don't see something like that making up a 3rd of a personality. I would really love to see some kind of proportional system, where you might pick two or three major traits that really shape the Sim's character, and then two or three minor ones that give them some quirks. If you could use any traits in any slot it would let people craft the personality, and not give every trait the same weight with every sim, every time. Maybe Sim A has Evil as a major trait and is REALLY evil, but Sim B has it as a minor trait and is only a little evil, on the side, like a hobby. :D

Love this idea!

It would make sims who have similar traits act a little more uniquely at least. Though I'm not sure how they would add more or less weight to traits. Still, I can always hope.

My most used traits:
    Loves Outdoors, Creative, Active, Self-assured, Hot-headed, and I'm loving the newer traits Self-absorbed and Paranoid.

My least used traits:
    Dance Machine, Erratic, Vegetarian, Insider, Noncommittal, Jealous

Everything else I'll use depending on what kind of sim I want to make, but these six I just find annoying or just plain useless.