Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ghosts?

SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
I'm curious to know how other players deal with ghosts. In all my previous games I have always sent ghosts away but in my new game I'm considering keeping them around. Do you find ghosts annoying or a fun addition to your games?

Comments

• BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I don't like Ghosts in my game. I always sent them away. I also avoid going out to "Ghost - Nights" in bars.
    Same with Aliens.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

I keep them. I have a cemetery my sims take the urns and tombstones to. Only one household so far has kept the urn because the young married couple had just had a little baby when mom died from embarrassment by the horrible words of the wishing well. I couldn't let her go so now she's a playable ghost in the household. Oh and I do like supernaturals. :D
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    can't stand them. try to intercept as many as possible at the bar during their particular night. Then, add them to my family and proceed to delete them on manage worlds.
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,404 Member
    I placed my sims deceased mother and wife grave in the backyard and every night so far one of them appears. At first it was nice but it got annoying real quick! They go through my things and cause them to break!😤😤 it’s always the shower and toilet and they don’t have time to repair them so I have to replace them. Then my sims get tense when they get scared. They are starting to get on my nerves
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It depends on the story/challenge ect. I've played with ghosts with various stories for long periods of time in this game and enjoyed it. Sometimes I release them to the spirit world if I don't want to deal with them in a particular save game though. I've even done a save game where I try to get one of each death type of ghost in my game.. it's not complete though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I avoid Ghost Night, but I don't mind having them in my household. I'll keep ghosts for about two sim weeks and send them away.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited March 2019
    I've played a household of ghosts on a few of my games. (If my avatar wasn't a giveaway.) In my plot, the ghosts' attitudes are usually that the afterlife is pretty fun and they'll go out of their way to "help" the living join them. (Usually by trying to talk them into wishing on the Wishing Well when it's in a deadly mood... though my comedian ghost who died by laughter likes to take out Sims the same way she went.)

I wrapped the Goths' story up with the ghosts once as well. Basically, they are the ghosts' guardians, assigned to keep them out of trouble. Cassandra Goth got a ghost boyfriend and child from the Wishing Well, too. She decided she was perfectly happy with this arrangement.

At one point, I went extra creepy and rather than give the ghosts beds, they each got a coffin to sleep in outside in front of their gravestones.

I do tend to cheat enough aspiration points to take away their need to eat, shower, and use the bathroom, because those just seem silly. I can see ghosts wanting to rest, though, even if they don't get physically tired.

If I only have three supernatural states to play, I'm going to use each one as much as I can. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    @katrinasforest I like the coffin idea. Thanks.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    The last ghost I ever played with in my game was Johnny Zest. He married the sim I was playing, they finally got married on Christmas Day and also the same day he died on. He was just to darn happy; new wife, new toddler, and the holidays were just too much. A short time later his ghost called up his widow and asked her out on a date. I was thinking great, maybe I can get a playable ghost to add back into the family, and work on resurrecting him. But the problem happened when he decided to carry on romantically with another woman. My sim at the time was a vampire, and she witnessed the betrayal, and after that, it was a real mess, because she was attacking everyone around her. I was just glad her child was still a toddler, which kept him safe from her rage. After that, I just sent Johnny off to the great beyond to never be heard from again, well that was until I started a new game save.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I tried to keep them around, but I HATE that they break everything. So no, they get deleted and if I'm at a bar that generates ghost night, I go through my manage households and summarily delete all the ghosts the game generated that night.

And I've gotten in to the habit of giving all my community lots the trait where gnomes fix things.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I tried to keep them around, but I HATE that they break everything.

I think this is probably why I haven't kept them around in the past. I have nothing against super natural things in the game but when it's annoying then that's a problem. I quite like the idea of my sims being around even after death though so it's a shame really.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2019
    When I got the chance to play with one it was pretty fun, especially when you have a ghost that died by fire and you can just RANDOMLY make fires anywhere and cause all sorts of havoc with it. It was great. Just going to certain sims homes causing a fire and then I have my ghost promptly leave. :p Ghost that died of poison can also poison other sims around them.

I have an old haunted library where ghosts will tend to linger.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    As long as they're kept in moderation, I like ghosts. I only like having a few around, so every once in awhile I'll go into Manage Households and delete most of the ghosts that have been generated. I noticed Spooky Day really generates townie ghosts, so that's usually when I round up the loose ghosts and delete them out.

I have a graveyard in my game, so ghosts mostly hang out there. It's nice because they don't break your stuff, and gives me a reason for my sims to "put them to rest". I had an only-child sim have a ghost friend during Spooky Day, which fit nicely into the story I made for her. I'll tend to keep Family-Oriented sims around longer as ghosts...they're making sure everyone is going to do well before they pass on fully.
  • simimpsimimp Posts: 94 Member
    I don't hate ghosts enough to deliberately delete them whenever I come across them, but they can certainly get annoying. For me the biggest issue is that they're barely even ghosts anymore. They function exactly like normal sims, just with a few added interactions and the ability to break things on purpose (as if regular sims don't do that enough already!). Keeping a sim's ghost around just makes it feel like they haven't really died, ironically enough. So when they begin to "fade into the netherworld" or whatever the line is, I just let them. RIP.
    twas brillig, amirite?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I keep the urn/tombstones but I let the ghosts fade away on their own time. I used to force it and send them away because I didn’t like having ghosts in my relationship pane. But now I just let it happen organically.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2019
    I've only added one ghost to a household. It was my Sim First Artist's boyfriend in the Time Lord Challenge. He accidentally died from overexertion after woo hoo with Second Artist when he was an elder before I knew that was a thing. He's Third Artist's companion now. I only keep ghosts around if the challenge I'm playing doesn't allow for releasing their spirit or moving them somewhere else.

Most ghosts otherwise get to stay around if they're helpful instead of mischievous. Once they start breaking stuff? Out they go to the deep forest. Some I've had taken to a cemetery I downloaded, and one 'lives' in Sylvan Glades by request. Her husband visits sometimes, but not as much now that he has a new love interest. It's too hard for him because he feels guilty, like he's cheating on both of them somehow. If that makes sense? He loved his wife very much, but needs to move on.

My Sims rarely go out to bars, so they've only been there for Ghost night a couple times. Any ghosts that get generated for that, or from campfire stories, I remove using manage households. I don't want a bunch of ghosts wandering around willy nilly in my game acting like they're still alive. It annoys me so much too when ghosts call my Sims about anything. They're supposed to be dead, how do they even have a phone? lol It's especially weird when they call to convey their condolences for losing a loved one and they're calling about themselves! o.O

Personally, I wish ghosts were more like they were in TS2. They seemed more like 'real' ghosts that could scare the bejeezus out of Sims, make them wet themselves or even die. Oh well, to each their own. I don't hate the ghosts, I just wish they were a bit more like, well, ghosts! lol
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @BlkBarbiegal No problem. Glad you found it useful.

@LadyKyn I did not know about the poisoning other Sims thing. I had a Sim who accidentally died that way, and I ended up keeping his ghost around because he had the Patriarch trait and it was just too useful to let him go until his kids had maxed out every skill they could ever conceivably use. ^_^ Now I'm curious what other types of chaos he can cause. Does it work like fire where they can can only spread it when they're angry?

@fullspiral Yeah, the breaking things is annoying. Having gnomes around is a good idea. Or a Sim who really wants to work on that handiness skill. (This is kind of another reason I make them not need the bathroom or showers. Less plumping means less things to break.)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @katrinasforest. Not sure if it's a mean or mischief interaction then again it might work of you have the poisoned ghost sim belch. As that's what Buzz Grunt's wife did and it made him pass out. Next time she did it he was poisoned. :#
    5vJrxmT.png
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I keep the urn/tombstones but I let the ghosts fade away on their own time. I used to force it and send them away because I didn’t like having ghosts in my relationship pane. But now I just let it happen organically.

I think in my new game I will just do this. I always feel bad sending them away early. :D
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,404 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

So when they fade over time, are they never supposed to come back? I remembered just now in my legacy game my sim in gen 11 found a family members ghost from gen 2-3 and I don’t even know where his urn is. I moved around a lot but I was finding him everywhere I went
    Okay this poisoning thing did it for me. Thanks @LadyKyn!
    Now I want to go in and play my ghosts of every type save again. When I was playing them I stuck to playing the ones that I didn't find irritating .. those that died by electrocution were my favorite.
    Now I want to go in and see them all in their glory... warts and all. I think I might move the ones I have to Strangerville and start a new ghost story playing in rotation. I just wanted to see the other types.
    Ohhh plans! Uggh this also always makes me want to start over... hmm.
    egTcBMc.png
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Okay this poisoning thing did it for me. Thanks @LadyKyn!
    Now I want to go in and play my ghosts of every type save again. When I was playing them I stuck to playing the ones that I didn't find irritating .. those that died by electrocution were my favorite.
    Now I want to go in and see them all in their glory... warts and all. I think I might move the ones I have to Strangerville and start a new ghost story playing in rotation. I just wanted to see the other types.
    Ohhh plans! Uggh this also always makes me want to start over... hmm.

Have a ghost for each death and put there graves on a community lot that could be haunted and watch the chaos :naughty:
    5vJrxmT.png
    edited March 2019
    It could be a fun way to fill a save. Two sims in one new household.. then set one of them up for their death type (with no skills some deaths happen faster). Then move the ghost to the community lot .. or move them back into their first household and play in rotation. I think we need a ghost of every type challenge :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    I'd like to keep them but I don't like how they work in TS4. I don't like seeing them in nightclubs, calling alive sims vie phone, texting, congratulating birthdays, promotions, asking on a date etc.
    TS3 ghosts were awesome. They were creepy, could only be seen where they are buried, I miss TS3 ghosts and cemeteries.
    TS4 ghosts are like a joke. They are way too alive and active, they are not creepy at all, they are not ghostly enough, they look like haribo gummy bears and get involved with alive sims lifes way too much.
    edited March 2019
    veronica55 wrote: »
    I don't like seeing them in nightclubs, calling alive sims vie phone, texting, congratulating birthdays, promotions, asking on a date etc.

I don't like this either. Being called up and invited out to dinner by a dead relative is just weird. Ghosts were much better when all they did was haunt the lots they inhabited before death. I wonder what mobile network they're on? It must be good to reach from the place of death. :D